Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to some of the guys on the corvette forum and they said they wouldn't recommend the headers because they lost either power or spool time or both (can't exactly remember right now)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by danielwebb
I talked to some of the guys on the corvette forum and they said they wouldn't recommend the headers because they lost either power or spool time or both (can't exactly remember right now)
Yes, and they also informed STS about this and how they're not getting the claimed spool times... it's because of the headers losing much more heat than stock headers. Chris, South East sales, told me that he recommended header-wrap to make up for the heat they lost and they called back later happy as can be.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
DanielW
Banned

that actually makes perfect since. so what kind of gains did they see?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Cube
Got some news... some of which I don't really want to disclose... I'll let the people in the headlines present the info when they're ready.

But the news I WILL offer is about the intercooler. The new one is pretty much in effect, I'll be waiting approx. 3 weeks for that to finalize before they ship out my kit

After some talk, I've decided on the upgraded 60-1 turbo. Hopefully headers, test pipes (already have) and full exhaust wrap will counteract lag, and an 11.75 psi spring.
Do you have any details about the spec on the IC? even a little bit The last time I email Rick he was in MD working with the car that they sponsor. If this will just bolt-on without any major Fab then I'll just get this and sell the FMIC that I got.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Cube

Okay, supposedly the current style IC is capable of supporting ~600 hp, and the new one is basically just larger, up to 800 hp.

It would fit right in, no modifying. It will be the same style (tube+fin) and will be a purchase option with POSSIBILITY of a core-exchange, with a minor refund. It won't be very cheap to swap out, so if you can get a deal on a top of the line IC, maybe bar+plate like you were planning, that seems like the better route at this time.

They're currently still doing R&D on it, and still testing. I don't know what kinda research goes into simply putting a larger IC on and don't understand why there'd be such a wait, but supposedly it could be anywhere from 1 month of finalizing to up to 5 months. I'm going to wait things out a tiny bit to see where things are going with this "upgraded" IC...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
athenG

/\ hhmmm -600hp capable? Rick already said on his email that at 8+psi the current IC is already on the restricted side so I don't think the current is capable of handling that much hp. Second I was really hoping that they will switch to a Bar/Plate and maybe a little bigger size but I guess I'm wishing to much Oh well, if this is an upgrade and I have to dish some $$ for an IC that is not different from the current one then I might as well stick with what I have . I emailed Rick and I'll just wait for his response, if he say the same thing then I'll make the phone call to MRC to install what I have right now.

Since Goose was having some spike issue (up to 12psi) then I'm really interested if the heat wrap made the turbo work more efficient, maybe the pressure drop was because of the turbo running out of breath at the end.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by athenG
I emailed Rick and I'll just wait for his response, if he say the same thing then I'll make the phone call to MRC to install what I have right now.
Keep us all informed on that. I wasn't expecting to hear a "good for xxx HP" response and was a little surprised when I heard one when asking about an intercooler.

Wtf happens after 600 hp? The IC blows right off of the hose clamps? It ruptures from too much powa? I expected to hear something similar to what you said, "significant pressure drop after xx psi instead of 8 psi"

I wanted to bring up the 8 lbs issue with the existing IC, but I couldn't remember if it was 8 or not and didn't want to give false second-hand info. He didn't even know about the new IC plans before I told him about it lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
DanielW
Banned

has anyone else noticed that they've taken off the sts 350z teaser video from their site?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:25 PM
goosegoose

OK.
Here are the preliminary comparisons:

Old Tune with Side Intake Pipes and No Heat Wrap:
Low Boost: MAX 299HP at 5-6PSI
High Boost: MAX 353HP at 7-8PSI

New Tune with Center Intake Pipe and Heat Wrap:
Low Boost: MAX 321HP at 5-6PSI
High Boost: MAX 356HP at 7-8PSI

I didn't expect the numbers to increase at all going from the side pipes to the center pipes. I guess the heat wrap is actually doing something.

The HP increase in the low boost map is very nice. Here, it is simply higher all through the RPM band. But for the high boost map, the MAX HP numbers really don't show what is going on. To put it simply, my old high boost map used to have a much more linear HP curve. The new high boost map is alot more peaky, and resembles Athens' HP curve more.

I'll scan the dynos and put them when I actually get home tonight.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
DanielW
Banned

what about spool time?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose
But for the high boost map, the MAX HP numbers really don't show what is going on. To put it simply, my old high boost map used to have a much more linear HP curve. The new high boost map is alot more peaky, and resembles Athens' HP curve more.

I'll scan the dynos and put them when I actually get home tonight.

Hope you did some logs so we can find out if your spool time improved. Also I wanted to see if heat wrapping did improve the pressure drop that we are experiencing at the higher RPM. You are right about the linear power that you had on your old dyno coz when I was comparing it, I was hitting my peak power a few hundred sooner than you are and held it but mine kinda drop a little by redline.
Attached Thumbnails Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-sts3.jpg   Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread-stsdyno4.jpg  
Old 08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
goosegoose

Here are the dynos:

OLD LOW MAP vs. NEW LOW MAP
As you can see, it is a very healthy increase over the old. On the road, I definitely feel that the new map has more power than the old map.

OLD HIGH MAP vs. NEW HIGH MAP
This concerned me a little bit, since it looks like I gained power down low and up top, but lost in the mid range. It certainly does not seem as linear as the old setup. I am still not sure if I can actually feel this difference yet.

NEW LOW MAP and NEW HIGH MAP

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by danielwebb
what about spool time?
I'm going to TRY and do some datalogging tonight to document the spool time. It depends if I have enough room on the highways around here to run. No promises though, since it is near the Labor Day weekend, and last I checked, there were still too many cars out there.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:09 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
Hope you did some logs so we can find out if your spool time improved. Also I wanted to see if heat wrapping did improve the pressure drop that we are experiencing at the higher RPM. You are right about the linear power that you had on your old dyno coz when I was comparing it, I was hitting my peak power a few hundred sooner than you are and held it but mine kinda drop a little by redline.
I am pretty sure the pressure drop at high RPM is still present. Don't quote me on that until I get real numbers through datalogging though.

Julian believes the exhaust is just too constricted, especially with stock cats.

Either way, let me get some numbers first before everyone starts to speculate.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I am pretty sure the pressure drop at high RPM is still present. Don't quote me on that until I get real numbers through datalogging though.

Julian believes the exhaust is just too constricted, especially with stock cats.

Either way, let me get some numbers first before everyone starts to speculate.
The spool time on the Automatic car acutally seemed better than the 6MT car on the road. The power loss at higher boost levels is most likely due to several reasons.
1) The stock cats and exhaust are restricted in flow at this boost level, the set up is not the most efficient way to turbo a car you know.
2) The New intake piping runs closer to the auto tranny and cats and does absorb alot of heat. The timing map I had to run was much less aggressive than the previous map, especially around the peak TQ area.
3) The exhaust gasses going to the turbo, if allowed to flow better with an aftermarket exhauste, would most likely aid in spool up time.
4) larger intercooler couldn't hurt..

Another facotr is Auto cars are much harder to dyno consistantly as far as boost spooling..
Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM
athenG

/\ Thanks for the explanation Julian, I'll be upgrading to a Bar/Plate FMIC so hope that help with the pressure drop. I'm just curious why you stop at below 6000RPM? I'm looking at the HP curve and after 5500 it just fell, did you stop or was it just not making any more hp?

Let me know when are you available so we can at least narrow down the boost drop and eliminate the FMIC part, then maybe we can move on to the exhaust part.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM
goosegoose

Here are some MPS logs of my High Boost map:

Throttle Position
Looking down column 70, it looks like I floored teh throttle from 3750RPM to 6000RPM.

PSI
Looking down the same cells in column 70, boost seems to stay consistent at 6PSI from 3750RPM to 6000RPM. This is all good, but I thought this was was a high boost map operating between 7PSI and 8PSI. I looked at my raw UTEC logs, and verified that 7PSI or 8PSI was almost never achieved, and getting up to 6PSI was sometimes hard, even when flooring it. I wonder if something is up here.

Knock
Curiously, I had 3 cells of detected knock: two at 4500RPM and one at 5500RPM.

AFR
As you can see, the tune is pretty conservative, with AFR at full load hovering around 10.8. The three cells where knock was detected are curiously lean at 15.19, 13.23, and 12.66. Not sure what happened there.

I guess you guys can feel free to draw your own conclusions from this.
If anyone wants more data for a specific condition, let me know.
I'll try to go out and log more tomorrow night.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
athenG

First I want that software I really need to get my a$$ and plug the cable to the serial out of the xd-16. If you are tuned for 7-8 psi then I'm lost why you are note hitting that (leak maybe?) If it was the exhaust (CAT) then why were you hitting 8+psi with you old setup. Anyway, I'll hit you up tomorrow for the MPS software.

One more thing, on your old setup, do you remember what rpm do you hit 6psi?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
The spool time on the Automatic car acutally seemed better than the 6MT car on the road. The power loss at higher boost levels is most likely due to several reasons.
1) The stock cats and exhaust are restricted in flow at this boost level, the set up is not the most efficient way to turbo a car you know.
2) The New intake piping runs closer to the auto tranny and cats and does absorb alot of heat. The timing map I had to run was much less aggressive than the previous map, especially around the peak TQ area.
3) The exhaust gasses going to the turbo, if allowed to flow better with an aftermarket exhauste, would most likely aid in spool up time.
4) larger intercooler couldn't hurt..

Another facotr is Auto cars are much harder to dyno consistantly as far as boost spooling..
When you talk about aftermarket exhaust, are you mainly speaking of the test pipes? or are you also referring to the y-pipe and maybe even headers? the reason i ask is because i have a topspeed y pipe sitting in my room waiting to be installed just don't know if its gonna be worth it. The test ipes sure seemed to help though.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM
athenG

Looking down the same cells in column 70, boost seems to stay consistent at 6PSI from 3750RPM to 6000RPM. This is all good, but I thought this was was a high boost map operating between 7PSI and 8PSI.
did you try to use the other maps? maybe Julian accidentally copied the low boost map over there

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread