Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, I didn't know that the Nismo mid-pipe was the same as the stock pipe and could bolt up to the STS piping (unless I'm missing something here?).

I still have my stock (but very rusty) y-pipe and mid-pipe, so I'll just use that I guess. Yay - more funds to recoup!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Alright guys, getting closer to pulling the trigger on this.

What mid-pipe do you guys go with? I currently have a Stillen y-pipe in combination with a Nismo exhaust, so I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the y-pipe or selling it with my Nismo. If I do keep the y-pipe - would I want to get a mid-pipe custom bent w/ resonator? Or is there one I could buy that could directly swap with the stock mid-pipe?
I used to have the link for the Mid-pip resonator but Magnaflow keep changing their site PM Goosegoose coz he has a magnaflow midpipe resonator and he swear that it made his car quieter w/o affecting performance. Ahsmo do have a TP, Nismo Y and Nismo Midpipe and his boost seem to hit much later than us. Look at the dynos on the first page and you'll see that Ahsmo's peak TQ hit much later than us (around 4500rpm) I hit my peak tq at 9psi at 3700rpm with just Testpipe and stock Y-pipe and mid-pipe and pretty much the same with Teg's and Daniel's dynos. I wouldn't open the exhaust system to much with Rear-Mount.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Ah, I didn't know that the Nismo mid-pipe was the same as the stock pipe and could bolt up to the STS piping (unless I'm missing something here?).

I still have my stock (but very rusty) y-pipe and mid-pipe, so I'll just use that I guess. Yay - more funds to recoup!
No it does not directly bolt up, I had to cut it appart and reweld. Certainly not worth the trouble, and as atheng stated, my boost comes on much later.

I have been considering going back to a stock midpipe with a nice resonator.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Boozt

My speedshop (APR in Redding Cali) welded up new pipe for me with a resonator......I had ditched the stock exhaust for an Injen set up but sold the Injen when I got the STS. Pull the trigger Johnny C!!!! You won't be sorry - Jim
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM
JonnyC

Well screw it - I'm going to start pulling the Vortech off tonight. Who knows what bad things I might find, which could change the situation totally (yes, I always fear the worst).
Old 08-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Boozt

Well screw it - I'm going to start pulling the Vortech off tonight. Who knows what bad things I might find, which could change the situation totally (yes, I always fear the worst).

If or when you go turbo.........You will not be able to the grin off your face.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
WASHWIZ

Originally Posted by athenG
I used to have the link for the Mid-pip resonator but Magnaflow keep changing their site PM Goosegoose coz he has a magnaflow midpipe resonator and he swear that it made his car quieter w/o affecting performance. Ahsmo do have a TP, Nismo Y and Nismo Midpipe and his boost seem to hit much later than us. Look at the dynos on the first page and you'll see that Ahsmo's peak TQ hit much later than us (around 4500rpm) I hit my peak tq at 9psi at 3700rpm with just Testpipe and stock Y-pipe and mid-pipe and pretty much the same with Teg's and Daniel's dynos. I wouldn't open the exhaust system to much with Rear-Mount.
I have TP, AAM Y-pipe, and the OEM midpipe. I don't have a graph, but I believe I'm hitting full boost @ about 4000.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
350Z400rwhp

Going Turbo Johnny?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Going Turbo Johnny?
Don't know yet - have to make a decision by tomorrow. I want to, but the bank account isn't too happy with me.

Ok guys - does anyone know how the PCV system works? Where does the driver's side breather tube hook up to? It doesn't seem to say in the install manual.

And, I already have a fitting tapped into my upper pan - can I run the oil return line to that instead of through the cross breather tube up top? I would have to cap that off then.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
+1 I would recommend the invidia test pipes to stock y pipe and mid pipe setup. I'm sure you sacrifice a small amount of power on top end but it really helps power kick in earlier.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:41 PM
DanielW
Banned

The invidias are 2.25" diamater which is smaller that most others at 2.5" btw
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 AM
athenG

Don't know yet - have to make a decision by tomorrow. I want to, but the bank account isn't too happy with me.

Ok guys - does anyone know how the PCV system works? Where does the driver's side breather tube hook up to? It doesn't seem to say in the install manual.

And, I already have a fitting tapped into my upper pan - can I run the oil return line to that instead of through the cross breather tube up top? I would have to cap that off then.
Call sts for tapping into your lower oil pan. STS has an Oil pump that I think tap into the driver side pcv for the oil return.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
JonnyC

Well, I pulled the trigger today on a Tuner Kit. Should have the kit in 2-3 weeks.

So the things I will need right away...
440cc injectors (well, once I get my next paycheck )
Base maps - Anyone have the base maps that came on your UTEC with the kit? STS is unable to provide that w/o a price (should have figured).

Sometime in the future...
TurboXS BCS (will run on waste gate spring just to start off)
Meth kit (straight water probably)
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM
JonnyC

Are you guys running an Oil Cooler? I was thinking I should now that I'm going turbo, but with my pan spacer, the remote turbo, I'd already be running 6.5+ qts of oil.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:46 AM
goosegoose

Are you guys running an Oil Cooler? I was thinking I should now that I'm going turbo, but with my pan spacer, the remote turbo, I'd already be running 6.5+ qts of oil.
I have an oil cooler. Cheap insurance.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Well, I pulled the trigger today on a Tuner Kit. Should have the kit in 2-3 weeks.

So the things I will need right away...
440cc injectors (well, once I get my next paycheck )
Base maps - Anyone have the base maps that came on your UTEC with the kit? STS is unable to provide that w/o a price (should have figured).

Sometime in the future...
TurboXS BCS (will run on waste gate spring just to start off)
Meth kit (straight water probably)
Awesome. Someone should have an okay map to try. I have a XS BCS if you want it. I dont use it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
DanielW
Banned

I would seriously consider an ebc right off the bat with this kit. It has more trouble than most at making full boost in first three gears/
Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by DanielW
I would seriously consider an ebc right off the bat with this kit. It has more trouble than most at making full boost in first three gears/
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll go with one right away now. I was just thinking about avoiding it at first for simplicity's sake.

So were you running an oil cooler as well? Trying to hear from the STS owners on this.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
athenG

good for you, I don't have an oil cooler and I seem to be fine... My oil analysis seem to be fine too... Are you going to be tracking the car often? if not then I would use the extra $$ somewhere else.

Last edited by athenG; 09-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
DanielW
Banned

I didn't have an oil cooler and I ran it HARD at Z dayZ with 25k miles on the kit and motor. I also did about 20 passes at rockingham dragway after i first turbocharged the car with no problems

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread