Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS EMS....Good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TENGAI
I'd wait and put my money on a Haltech... Feature for feature, it knocks the mighty F-Con off it's throne. It's also user tunable and cheaper than the F-Con. Talk to Injected Performance about it or wait a few more weeks for the official release info.
Like I said, If I experience it to be superior I will not argue that it isn't. As of today the FCon is still the best readily available EMS for our platform.

And if your are talking about cam control, It isn't as easy to tune as most people will think, I actually predict a few damaged engine will come out of this when an unexperienced end user decided to try to tune his cam advance and bends his valves. Hopefully this won't be the case and I'm wrong

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

With low boost, on a budget, nothing beats the UTEC, IMHO. It's not perfect, but it offers a lot for a sub $1000 price tag. Anything that makes changes to OEM ECU program, is going to jump around a lot more than something that has full control.

Right now, here are the good options I see.

1) UTEC
2) FCON Vpro
3) Haltech...in a couple weeks.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 AM
06MagneticZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome...this is exactly what I needed to know.

George, thanks alot for all of the info. FCON is definitely on my list, but at the moment I would really like to stick with the APS EMS until I can come up with the cash. Ive heard nothing but good things from GTM and will definitely look for you when its time for the install. I'll be providing the APS kit, would need install and tune.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 AM
synth19

Jesus, This thread has gone completely offtopic. The OP asked:

"Now, the Standard APS kit comes with the APS EMS, how has this EMS worked out for some of you guys?
The answer is FINE. Once you upgrade the motor, get a better fuel system, etc. Then you will NEED a better EMS like UTEC or FCON. The unichip simply lacks the control when you go to the next step. I have personal experience with the Unichip and it handled about 430 whp on a built motor fine. Car felt stock and drove perfectly. Of course, I have to give credit to my tuner Tuan. I'm sure Sam will tune your car with the unichip just as good if you bring the car to GTM.

I'm currently borrowing GRD's utec, but once my new motor gets in from GTM, then I'll be upgrading to FCON.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
Jesus, This thread has gone completely offtopic. The OP asked:

nah.l.. not even nearly as OT as other threads
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 AM
06MagneticZ

lol...thats ok Synth19. Its interesting to hear about the different types of ems's available and what people's opinions are on them. I for one, will most likely go with th Fcon, just because it seems thats what the high hp guru's are using. In the end, my main concern is reliability. Even after the APS kit comes in, I wont have it installed until I have all of the supporting mods. THis might even include the Fcon. Just want to make sure that I have everything I need, even if it takes me quite a while to gather everything up. I'll be patient. The first step was to find out what ems will work and what will not.

I clicked on the link in your sig....thats a sweet looking Z. All that power from an APS ST?? Impressive. Now is that 451WHP on a built motor?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 AM
synth19

^ Thanks. Yes, the motor is built. We did get it a bit higher, but random misfiring had my tuner perplexed and we are currently awaiting another motor and get to our goal of 500whp (consistently). Now to get back on topic, If you are planning on keeping the car @ the stock boost setting (I think around 6-8 psi) the unichip will be fine. Keep the whp around 375 whp range and I'm sure you'll be good to go once tuned. If you don't however plan on using the unichip right off the bat, consider the "tuner" kit and piece it together. But If budget is a factor, I would get the full kit with the unichip. Keep that setup for a year or so until you're ready to upgrade...then switch to fcon, built motor, etc. It's absurd to think fcon is NEEDED when the unichip can get the job done adequatly at the APS recommended out-of-the-box setup.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 AM
synth19

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
I for one, will most likely go with th Fcon, just because it seems thats what the high hp guru's are using.
^ And not to be repetative... but If you can afford the fcon off the bat, then sure..get it. But if you plan on doing this in "stages," then I wouldn't necessarily recommend sitting around waiting to get various components to enjoy your car. Get the full APS kit, get it tuned conservatively, and have fun. it will still be faster then most cars out on the road. In one year+, then upgrade motor, ems, etc. as you will have more funding.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by synth19
^ And not to be repetative... but If you can afford the fcon off the bat, then sure..get it. But if you plan on doing this in "stages," then I wouldn't necessarily recommend sitting around waiting to get various components to enjoy your car. Get the full APS kit, get it tuned conservatively, and have fun. it will still be faster then most cars out on the road. In one year+, then upgrade motor, ems, etc. as you will have more funding.
This is why I recommened the iS its almost half of what the VPro cost and easily upgradeable.

I do agree that the uni-chip will work fine for a 400rwhp car, and we have installed and tuned MANY uni-chips. I was just sharing my personal expeirience with the unit and what I would do.

Don't wait to get ALL the parts you can think of before installing the kit, the most important part of this game is installing the stuff and enjoying it. Trust me I speak from experience. (Had a GReddy kit in my garage for over a year while I was purchasing "supporting mods" this is when I had my Z and I never installed the kit)

Good luck!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
06MagneticZ

Originally Posted by George@GTM

Don't wait to get ALL the parts you can think of before installing the kit, the most important part of this game is installing the stuff and enjoying it. Trust me I speak from experience. (Had a GReddy kit in my garage for over a year while I was purchasing "supporting mods" this is when I had my Z and I never installed the kit)

Good luck!

-George
GT Motorsports
I hear ya on that. Im just trying to be extra careful. Killing my motor would be the worst, and I'd rather have a turbo kit sitting for a year, instead of an 06' Z sitting for the same amoutn of time. Thanks for the advise George

Jeff
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06MagneticZ
I hear ya on that. Im just trying to be extra careful. Killing my motor would be the worst, and I'd rather have a turbo kit sitting for a year, instead of an 06' Z sitting for the same amoutn of time. Thanks for the advise George

Jeff
No problem you are completely right, Just as long as you get a conservative tune and don't get HP crazy you will be safe, plenty of people running around with 400rwhp on a stock block with no problems

-George
GT Motorsports