Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Dissapointing Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jining
seriously... tuned correctly lol.. **** man I hope that tuner will give me a refund or retune.. maybe not a retune.

Does 4.5Ib of boost sound too low for those Garrett Actuators? I heard they dont produce much

You should see about 6lbs on spring pressure.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 PM
jining

Here are my dyno sheets, the first one is @ 4.5 PSI and the second is @ 6psi with AFR log.

Tell me if you can see anything wrong from these, thank you.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
jining

Well, my buddy and I took it out tonight to do a lil street tuning. Basically we had to put the HKS EVC 6 to 8PSI target boost, and then set the correctino coefficient to 199% for it to actually hit 8Ibs... somethings up.

I do have an exhuaust leak on the LHS still unsure of where from.

If anyone has some input on these dynos from yesterdays tune it would be great, mainly regarding the strange boost behavior.

For some reason my tuner was DUMPING fuel in my motor i was running below 10 A/F at WOT... turned the fuel down about 20% still runs.. pretty rich. :P definitely not going to get a tune there again.

Last edited by jining; 08-23-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Well, my buddy and I took it out tonight to do a lil street tuning. Basically we had to put the HKS EVC 6 to 8PSI target boost, and then set the correctino coefficient to 199% for it to actually hit 8Ibs... somethings up.

If anyone has some input on these dynos from yesterdays tune it would be great, mainly regarding the strange boost behavior.

For some reason my tuner was DUMPING fuel in my motor i was running below 10 A/F at WOT... turned the fuel down about 20% still runs.. pretty rich. :P definitely not going to get a tune there again.
Your set up parameters on the EVC6 aren't set correctly. You need to reset it and do it again. Once they are set they cannot be changed until reset. When the unit is properly setup it works great

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the tuner. I have been watching your threads and I don't really want to be a d!ck, but I doubt you did a flawless install.

I would bring the car to a reputable shop and have them look over your car and make sure the install is good before you go for a tune again. I have installed this kit and know that it isn't something most should attempt -> especially when you have an oil leak and a broken wrench makes you resort to posting on the net about what you should do.

I wish you the best of luck, but I doubt you will have your car running correctly until a shop at least looks over your install
Old 08-24-2007, 01:01 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zivman
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the tuner. I have been watching your threads and I don't really want to be a d!ck, but I doubt you did a flawless install.

I would bring the car to a reputable shop and have them look over your car and make sure the install is good before you go for a tune again. I have installed this kit and know that it isn't something most should attempt -> especially when you have an oil leak and a broken wrench makes you resort to posting on the net about what you should do.

I wish you the best of luck, but I doubt you will have your car running correctly until a shop at least looks over your install

+1
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 AM
jining

The parameters are set correctly. Did it twice to make sure. It hits and holds at target boost of 8Ib.

This tuner im afraid is to blame. Perhaps not for the boost not holding well, but for running it so rich its completely unecessary... He set my rev limiter to 7500 I just discovered as well....greeat.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The parameters are set correctly. Did it twice to make sure. It hits and holds at target boost of 8Ib.

This tuner im afraid is to blame. Perhaps not for the boost not holding well, but for running it so rich its completely unecessary... He set my rev limiter to 7500 I just discovered as well....greeat.
if he is not to blame for the car holding boost, there is no blame to be put on the tuner. If you have an exhaust leak, or other issues, how do you expect him to tune properly? This is in no way defending the tuner, as he me very well suck, but if there is ANY issue with the car, a proper tune is next to impossible to achieve.

I have personally installed this kit and know the potential issues a self install could bring. Based on what I see you posting, here are a couple things you might want to have checked out:
1.) Exhaust leak before the turbo(s)
2.) Exhaust leak after the turbo(s)
3.) getting a proper catback as the invidia isn't up to flowing for the turbo setup - could be part of the reason the car isn't holding boost
4.) Proper preload on the actuators
5.) Boost leaks
6.) Fuel system properly installed
7.) Recheck setup for oil leaks
8.) Loose/undertorqued nuts/bolts on manifolds and turbos
Old 08-24-2007, 02:55 AM
jining

Thanks for the advice. I suppose you are right the tuner is not to blame for it not holding boost. Quite honestly I do believe he just doesnt have enough experience tuning VQ's just based on this tune I was given.

I have been trying to find the leak, its on the LHS but I cant seem to locate it, I only have about 20 seconds to feel for the leak with my hand before it gets too damn hot lol so I have to do it whenever the car cools down.

So far there are no leaks (oil/fluid) as of yet *knocks on wood*

I do suspect that yes my exhaust has something to do with it as it is 2" piping.. I should look into a new one.

Last edited by jining; 08-24-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 AM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I suppose you are right the tuner is not to blame for it not holding boost. Quite honestly I do believe he just doesnt have enough experience tuning VQ's just based on this tune I was given.

I have been trying to find the leak, its on the LHS but I cant seem to locate it, I only have about 20 seconds to feel for the leak with my hand before it gets too damn hot lol so I have to do it whenever the car cools down.

So far there are no leaks (oil/fluid) as of yet *knocks on wood*

I do suspect that yes my exhaust has something to do with it as it is 2" piping.. I should look into a new one.

To check for a exhaust leak use a piece of rubber hose to listen for leaks. Put one end of the hose up next to every flange bolt up and the other end to your ear and listen listen for a change in pitch. When you come across a exhaust leak the noise will change in pitch and have a higher pitch .
Old 08-24-2007, 07:19 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Man you are scary.

The air fuel on the graph looks pretty good not much more he could do, it doesn't go below 11.0, and if you are running 8psi now he didn't tune that area so you are going into untuned territory.

And as mentioned make sure you setup the evc correctly and initialize it, have you gone through the whole initializing procedure?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Its gonna blow if you dont be careful!!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:32 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Also using a Mustang Dyno, and assuming he isnt adding any fluffy correction, the numbers actually arent that bad for your boost level.

I agree with what Zivman said...get that car checked out.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
justusS

You ever seen one of those movies where you know something crazy nasty is about to happen....and your like, "no dude...don't open that door, there's a chainsaw behind th...!!" and you just can't look away cause your like..oh man here it comes.

That's where this is headed.

=)
j/k, I hope you get it all figured out man...maybe you'll be ready for a drive when I get back to WA next week.
I would agree that the exhaust is probably killing you. Would also make a boost leak kit or use something to look for charge leaks. I used a probe type stethoscope to find the exhaust leak i had.

Last edited by justusS; 08-24-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Gman2004

Get it checked out by a professional shop or the prediction I made in July might come true. Good luck!

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=20
Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Get it checked out by a professional shop or the prediction I made in July might come true. Good luck!

Nice prediction.... Nastradamus????
Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Gman2004

Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by jonb7007
Nice prediction.... Nastradamus????
I hit 88mph in my TT G35 and my flux capacitor allowed me to go a few weeks into the future.....
Attached Thumbnails Dissapointing Tune-flux-capacitor.jpg  
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I know that is really your daughter....
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I know that is really your daughter....
It's me, I swear.