Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
Are you serious??? And you claim to be neutral in this matter. Laughable. GTM had all the opportunity in the world to present ALL the evidence when they posted their analysis the first time. Please explain why they only posted some of the evidence at that time? Hmm? Have you heard the phrase "withholding evidence"?
as far as i know they widtheld it from the public but not from todd or don... but i don't care i was just saying cause i knew from the first place about some of Dons problems with the car that weren't posted in the first thread that he choose to deal with Todd via PMs privatly... i was just saying that will be the case...

The only thing laughable here is your inability to imagine the things that have been said by all parties and all the issues that are were not present on the board because its better to keep it via pms, up to them if they choose to post everything right away...
People act like they know it all just in other dramas here when there is more going on behind the scenes that a lot of times just stay in private chat, but some still post liek they really know it all(generally speaking not attacking anybody directly here).

I was pointing to the fact that while sams attitude pricing ethics suck it doesn't scape the fact that before he touched the engine it wasnt overreved at dynocomp and it had troubles already... what is the cause... thats whats being debated and well....i just hope for the best for Don in this whole ordeal.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 08-31-2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:51 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam, what would you say caused the piston rings to lose their spring, in your opinion? Also, what would cause all of the pistons to be smaller in diameter than other, new pistons of the same kind? (this is an honest question, not a loaded one)
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
MMC Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conceyted
Don had every right to allow GTM to do the work, but when he did this he forwent Todd's suggestion and thus voided his warranty. Once Don made that decision he should have NEVER gone back to Todd with his hand out expecting a single dime. If he wanted to truly understand what went wrong or what WAS wrong he should have sent the motor back to Todd to begin with. If you cannot agree that letting a 3rd shop do the disassembly of a warrantied first shops motor and then asking the first shop for a refund is completely flawed logic then you have no hope.
I've already said that Don erred on not getting authorization for a tear down from Todd, so in your opinion, do I still have hope?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
THE ROADSTER

Sam already said he will not respond anymore to this thread beacause he is a very busy man.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by STL Lightning
I've already said that Don erred on not getting authorization for a tear down from Todd, so in your opinion, do I still have hope?
Yea, I guess you do then.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
Sam already said he will not respond anymore to this thread beacause he is a very busy man.
I'll try to PM then.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM
PalFX

Originally Posted by STL Lightning
I realize this community has been rocked by the likes of VRT and I'd hate to see either of these vendors ran off. I just don't see the grand conspiracy that many of you are claiming.

-Mark
I dealt with VRT and GTM and all I can say is comparing GTM to VRT is like comparing the light from the sun to that of a candle.

Also, magic tricks might appear to most as real but they are still tricks and Sam isn't the one appearing as the magician to me here.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Starchecker

I didn't read all of Sam's response, but I don't find him culpable for "witholding evidence". Honest or not, let's assume honesty, he felt he had found the problem and posted the most pertinent evidence. He couldn't imagine ahead of time what Todd's response would be. Once he heard that, then he could counter by releasing more evidence to support his initial claim.

That is why in a court of law you can cross examine and re cross examine. There is no way you can anticipate everything the other side is going to come up with.

That being said I am not saying Sam is telling the truth all along or not. I don't know at this point.

I have torn down and rebuilt 2 aircraft engines in college and got straight A's, however I wouldn't fly anything I worked on! That being said I have some knowledge but nothing like many in the FI community have regarding engine builds. Sam brings up some good points about the lack of other evidence for a detonation or overheating issue, and the valve leak issue as well.

However, to me it doesn't explain the jacked up rings, that to me would explain the inability to increase power with boost. Also the piston heads seemed very discolored which I thought was evidence of blow-by(poor ring seating).

I may just be displaying the reasons why I wouldn't trust the work I do on anything mechanical, but to me the real culprit for the poor engine performance is the shot rings, not the possibility of an intake leak on 1 cylinder or one piston touching the head slightly.

I guess all along it didn't matter to me if the engine build was bad or an overheat took place. The real issue was would Todd take care of it. Well thanks to GTM refusing to respect Todd's wishes to inspect his own engine and "strongly encourage" Don to let GTM tear down the engine, all hope for a good resolution was lost. That's my issue. Again he did all this BEFORE he tore down the engine, so he sowed the seeds of distrust without any evidence that Todd had screwed up the engine.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I'll try to PM then.
please post his answer. i want to know it, too.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
G35JCC

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I'll try to PM then.
If you get a response will you enlighten us? Also, being the dirty old letch that I am could you PM me your avatar in normal size? Remarkably it resembles my wife.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Plain and simple..

It doesnt take a frickin rocket scientist to figure it out guys.. IF you have received a motor from BZM and it's NOT fuked up, consider yourself LUCKY! The tolerances used are not acceptable, period. They screwed up and they dont want to admit it period.

Good luck Todd. I will never buy from you or send someone your way..
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
The only thing laughable here is your inability to imagine the things that have been said by all parties and all the issues that are were not present on the board because its better to keep it via pms, up to them if they choose to post everything right away...
Unlike you, I'm basing my opinion on known facts in this discussion. You on the other hand are basing yours on assumptions. GTM pm'd all the evidence to Todd previously? WTF are you talking about? Complete fabrication on your part or just plain ignorance? Do you understand the difference between fact and supposition? Obviously you do not.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by G35JCC
If you get a response will you enlighten us? Also, being the dirty old letch that I am could you PM me your avatar in normal size? Remarkably it resembles my wife.
Sure will.

Oh and you're the 4th person to request a full size pic, I must have done something right when I picked my avatar
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
THE ROADSTER

Originally Posted by PalFX
I dealt with VRT and GTM and all I can say is comparing GTM to VRT is like comparing the light from the sun to that of a candle.

Also, magic tricks might appear to most as real but they are still tricks and Sam isn't the one appearing as the magician to me here.

+10000

Yes Sam is a magician....he turned my 280 horses in to 512 horses.

Last edited by THE ROADSTER; 08-31-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:20 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Plain and simple..

It doesnt take a frickin rocket scientist to figure it out guys.. IF you have received a motor from BZM and it's NOT fuked up, consider yourself LUCKY! The tolerances used are not acceptable, period. They screwed up and they dont want to admit it period.

hmm, interesting. Our tolerances are completely acceptable, we don't run factory clearances on an engine intended to possibly triple the output, is that rocket science? I have already addressed how/why we clearance bearings a bit looser, and that fact is completely irrelevant to the accusation of improper machining in the valve job.

But thanks for the comments
Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Kenk2
Plain and simple..

Why don't you back up your statement with some facts? Oh that's right, you don't have any.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I'm closing this thread now both sides have been presented. I think everyone here is forgetting that someone is out $14k which is the whole reason for these threads. It has turned into BZM vs. GTM. Niether side will EVER admit to any wrong doing and are now just gonna take shots @ each other forgetting about the customer. Don has plenty of info to make the decesion he feels comfortable with. Good Luck with it.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Don's decesion

Don sent me this PM which is what he also sent to BZM and GTM with his decesion on how he is going to proceed. I thought you guys would want to know.

Good afternoon:

I’ve included both parties in this PM to assure we’re on the same page with my intentions on this motor.

Firstly, I want to extend my appreciation onto Sam and GTM in their willingness to complete the project. By no means do I feel I have been mislead through this process, and I believe the inspection fees are fair and they will be compensated.

For Todd, I sincerely appreciate you taking time away from patient care to inspect the motor and to provide a means of reconciliation to get the car back on the road.

To be honest, I feel I received an inherently faulty product and would prefer a refund. I have been counseled that this is something pursuable, but at a significant cost to time, money and professional relationships that I am not willing to entertain.

That said, I consider the warratny offer extended on behalf of Todd to be a fair alternative at this moment, as my options are left to direct GTM to build and install a GTM motor, or for BZM to perform a rebuild on their product and have GTM perform the install.

Secondary to cost and time, I have chosen to accept Todd’s offer to repair the motor as stated, and will use that motor for completion of the project. I recognize that Todd will not extend warranty upon installation by GTM because of the relationship dynamics between each of you, so I am asking that a build sheet accompany the rebuilt motor for edification of tolerances, clearances, etc.

I realize that there will be additional costs incurred at GTM for parts/installation related to the HKS gasket, attachment of the heads to the block, and timing… that is fine.

I’m instilling faith that neither party will sabotage each other’s efforts to promote eminent failure of the motor.

I will follow up with Todd to arrange for shipment back to GTM and additional considerations regarding preparation of the shortblock, a timeframe for completion, and addt'l costs incurred for block preparation and modifications.

If either of you have any questions or concerns of me, please let me know via PM, or contact me at home.

-DLH