Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nicely documented - effort above and beyond the call of duty - kudos. This thread should NOT be locked. Anyone can make a mistake and there can be multiple interpretations of the same finding. GTM should have the opportunity to present their perspective.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:49 AM
ht4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, my compliments on your professionalism through a difficult situation... others should learn from your example.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:50 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
GTM should have the opportunity to present their perspective.
IMO, they already have.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 AM
jtabraham

Do you guys mic the pistons before assembly? I know you said the pistons were on the shorter diameter side of the tolerance, but I was just curious if you measure them prior to assembly.

Hope everything works out well for all the parties involved.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Do you guys mic the pistons before assembly? I know you said the pistons were on the shorter diameter side of the tolerance, but I was just curious if you measure them prior to assembly.

Hope everything works out well for all the parties involved.
absolutely... they are always so dead on accurate/consistant when we compare them amongst one another, we began doing this as to match the slightly larger piston to the slightly larger hole and vice versa, but the arias pistons are so accurate in size that this began uneccessary, we still do it from habit. The size of the honed cylinder will vary at times up to .0005, but when as these are bored/honed with torque plates installed, we have consistantly seen the finished bore size vary even less when under stress of the torque plate.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by rcdash
Anyone can make a mistake and there can be multiple interpretations of the same finding. GTM should have the opportunity to present their perspective.
check several pages back in the F/I section, that thread was locked as it turned into a flame-fest..their findings were documented, and in our findings, readily refuted with factual data... on some of their topics, they presented the "truth" like politicians, ...the piston to wall clearance was too big-TRUE..they weren't lying, just withholding the COMPLETE truth, I assume from their lack of comparing the data to that of a normal piston..as the piston to wall clearance was excessive because of the decreased size of the heated piston

My first question to GTM (which was never answered) was- "What was the measured FINAL BORE SIZE", as I ssumed the piston may have collapsed, as it obviously did!

Last edited by 350zDCalb; 08-30-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb

thinking back to the original analysis, it was explained to the customer that the boring/honing was too large and the block COULD NOT be re-used..if that isn't the furthest thing from the truth!
This was in the other thread on post #2:

"They (GTM) stated that they could not use the current longblock secondary to scoring and machining errors from the previous build, so I will be transporting to them a spare longblock I have on my trip to California this weekend."

Last edited by QuadCam; 08-30-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
THE ROADSTER

+ 1 for the detail write up to defend your company. I have alot of respect for a company when they go through this much to defend them self. Unfortunaly it will cost $$$$ to do so.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
+ 1 for the detail write up to defend your company. I have alot of respect for a company when they go through this much to defend them self. Unfortunaly it will cost $$$$ to do so.
It would cost more not to though.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM
tig488

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Joedirt, sorry, I like you, but you just wasted $14k. GTM should have mentioned the poor condition of the piston rings, the apparent "shrinking" of the pistons, the bogus valve seal results, and the signs of detonation before passing the blame on to Todd. Almost makes me sick to see how they pulled the wool over your eyes. They're only intent was to put more money in their pocket and trick the forum into thinking that they're God's gift to the 350Z.
they probably didnt look at those things.

man i do hate that for JoeDirt. i just want him to get this thing back together and running right.

good job todd and BZM, hell of an analysis. kudos!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by tig488
they probably didnt look at those things.

man i do hate that for JoeDirt. i just want him to get this thing back together and running right.

good job todd and BZM, hell of an analysis. kudos!
Well if Sam was gonna come on here and be so arrogant and confident in his diagnosis, he should have damn well checked EVERYTHING. The detonation and poor piston ring condition were VISIBLY obvious, yet he mentions nothing about it in his findings to Don. Shady.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM
THE TECH

Great write-up. Sounds as unbiased as it gets.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 AM
THE ROADSTER

Well if Sam was gonna come on here and be so arrogant and confident in his diagnosis, he should have damn well checked EVERYTHING.

I don't think Sam is arrogant, he has alway being straight with me.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
I don't think Sam is arrogant, he has alway being straight with me.
That's fine; I'm not saying they're another VRT or anything. Just seems like he saw an opportunity to make his shop look better all the while making a HUGE buck off an unsuspecting customer, and this thread proves it. Plus I have other issues with GTM besides this, that I won't go into.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Nismo350ZRT

OT - Lemme lighten things up a bit here. Failsafe, that pic of yours is driving me nuts...in a good way...how bout emailing me the fullsize version?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Todd, excellent work. I think you have proved without question that there were no machining errors with the motor. Your reputation is intact.

I can't wait to hear GTM's response.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

great write up and very thorough analysis of the engine. Great to see you are so meticulous. I will be contacting you again soon about a VQ35
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
OT - Lemme lighten things up a bit here. Failsafe, that pic of yours is driving me nuts...in a good way...how bout emailing me the fullsize version?
Sure, PM me your email
Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad to see a vender going beyond what a vender would normally do, but isn't it partly because BZM's reputation is on the line due to how public this mess has been? The money and time spent inspecting and rebuilding the engine on BZM's dime would be completely worth it if it clears their name, but in a normal case, I don't know if every customer could expect a fully rebuilt engine free of charge - as rare as a case like that might be

Last edited by sentry65; 08-30-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

That's fine; I'm not saying they're another VRT or anything. Just seems like he saw an opportunity to make his shop look better all the while making a HUGE buck off an unsuspecting customer, and this thread proves it. Plus I have other issues with GTM besides this, that I won't go into.

id like to see what the 3rd party (g t m) will say about this now
I for a fact like the write up and the detail props to BZM for that....one thing is that i know the dyno runs (sheets) at the local dyno (dynocomp) did not show the lean condition specified and EGTs were fine, all this at the time the engine already started having trouble... since gtm is in question now maybe they can detail that these was also not the case with them if so...

Now as everybody this along write up so some stuff is a lil confusing but , the CYLINDER surface of Cyl #4 doesn;t show any signs of detonation? but the exhaust valve does? but the intake valve doesnt? i dont understand his partfindings? and so the cylinder shrank 0.0015" - what about the remaining 0.0055" of clearance that was found? NOt questioning validity of results just like some clarification THANKS!

Quick Reply: BuiltZMotors Analysis of JoeDirtPharmD engine: warning->DETAILED