Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:56 AM
Daewoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

350zwannab u said

Tommy Boy left out that you'll probably FRY the factory clutch so you'll need to switch that out for sure. $500+ and a light weight flywheel while your at it. The list really does go on and on. With that much power you will probably FRY your Rotors up sooner or later. The more power the better stopping power you need. So now you either need better rotors or NEW STOPTECHS!$2000+

I am not sur eif things are really that bad and the upgrades are necessary. There are people running N2O 100shot and they are not making these mods. as for the brakes. They really have nothing to do with a TT.

Fast is fast and stopping is stopping. a TT just gets u to 60 faster it has nothing to do with stopping. 60 is still 60 even with a tt.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Zaphod 350z

I don't know. I didn't read that as good news. the price keeps climbing and climbing, and the release date keeps getting further and further away. My gut feeling is I might be more impressed with the procharger versus the greddy kit. Haven't heard too much from the Top Secret people since that article. But $8000 (with the trimmings) before install? That's way too much for a bolt on kit. Figure between $1000 and $1500 for installation. Turbo People of NY have been talking to me about a custom setup with a DFI fuel system for a little over $10k installed. And that would be way more than 345rwhp.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:27 AM
350Zwannabe

Default OK

Originally posted by Daewoo
350zwannab u said

Tommy Boy left out that you'll probably FRY the factory clutch so you'll need to switch that out for sure. $500+ and a light weight flywheel while your at it. The list really does go on and on. With that much power you will probably FRY your Rotors up sooner or later. The more power the better stopping power you need. So now you either need better rotors or NEW STOPTECHS!$2000+

I am not sur eif things are really that bad and the upgrades are necessary. There are people running N2O 100shot and they are not making these mods. as for the brakes. They really have nothing to do with a TT.

Fast is fast and stopping is stopping. a TT just gets u to 60 faster it has nothing to do with stopping. 60 is still 60 even with a tt.
Yeah your right but the faster you go there is definitely many more times that you will need better braking because you are more often always on boost excellerating rapidly and wanting to stop or slow down more often. When all this happens at higher speeds then your rotors get alot hotter alot faster much more often and what you usually get is WARPED ROTORS and alot more brake fade.
Hey if what your saying is that you will be pushing 400+HP and be extremely gentle on your brakes then I'm sure you'll be fine, but I doubt it.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:31 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Curious

Originally posted by Zaphod 350z
I don't know. I didn't read that as good news. the price keeps climbing and climbing, and the release date keeps getting further and further away. My gut feeling is I might be more impressed with the procharger versus the greddy kit. Haven't heard too much from the Top Secret people since that article. But $8000 (with the trimmings) before install? That's way too much for a bolt on kit. Figure between $1000 and $1500 for installation. Turbo People of NY have been talking to me about a custom setup with a DFI fuel system for a little over $10k installed. And that would be way more than 345rwhp.
Zaphod, I am a bit curious on how your Factory Clutch is holding up to your 100 shot if you haven't switched it out yet?
Old 05-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Zaphod 350z

Default Re: Curious

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
Zaphod, I am a bit curious on how your Factory Clutch is holding up to your 100 shot if you haven't switched it out yet?
Actually I'm up to 125. Been juiced for almost 5000 miles. Clutch feels great and I do beat the snot out of it. I'd say it's a pretty damn strong factory clutch. I'll let you know when it starts to show signs of wear.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:36 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Amazing

WOW, Thats great. I have to say, that is amazing. Not to many cars can hold up that much power without a slipping clutch. Keep in touch. How does 125 Feel compared to the old Audi???
Old 05-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Zaphod 350z

Default Re: Amazing

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
WOW, Thats great. I have to say, that is amazing. Not to many cars can hold up that much power without a slipping clutch. Keep in touch. How does 125 Feel compared to the old Audi???
I've been pissing off the good old S4 forum recently because I had some races with stage 2+ s4's and the results were very one sided to my favor. The typical response is "no way a stock 350z can beat a stage 2+ S4" my response, "who said the Z was stock *******? mods aren't just for audi's you know."

I miss the AWD sometimes. But I don't miss going to the dealer for warranty work every month.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:48 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by D'oh
But then you'd just have to mod the Z06 (doesn't Lingenfelter have a nice turbo kit, or maybe a big block), so you'd be back to square 1.

-D'oh!
Yeah, but those Lingefelter cars blow away pretty much everything on the road. 900 hp, 0-60 in 1.9sec (holy crap!!!), low 9 sec et's. What can match that?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:05 AM
LiquidZee

6-7k for a turbo w/o installation?

should change their name to Greedy
Old 05-22-2003, 11:35 AM
350Zwannabe

Default What?

Dude, your purchasing TWO of almost everything. I knew it was going to be around that much. One Turbo alone runs around $1,500! That is what it costs to Twin Turbo Charge your Z or any car. Hey don't forget 2 BOVs.hehehehe.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default cost is not set yet!

There are conflicting statements on the price for the Greddy TT. When I called Tommy at Greddy, he said he "thought" the price would be between 6-7k. Another price was given in the Autoweek online:

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...37489&record=1

In that article above, they stated the cost was about $3,700! Which one is right, most likely both are incorrect. My bet is it will be something inbetween the 2 prices. Remember, the guy was kind enough to answer my questions to the best of his ability and he did not expect me to post these answers on this site when he was answering those questions. He could have just said, we refuse to give information until the product is released. As I said, I am doing mt best to give you information based on that phone call. I asked at the end of the phone call if it was ok to post this info and he said he thought it was ok. Lets just enjoy that we got a window into what is happening and not get upset on the details.

The TT kit is supposely months away from going on sale so I am sure specs will change as they improve the product. Honestly, I dont want them to release it a day before it is fully tested. He felt that more hp will be safely found before its release.

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 05-22-2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:43 PM
Mr B

Originally posted by raceboy
Yeah, but those Lingefelter cars blow away pretty much everything on the road. 900 hp, 0-60 in 1.9sec (holy crap!!!), low 9 sec et's. What can match that?
But you do know how much a Lingefelter kit costs and how much work they've put into the engine too, right?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:17 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LiquidZee
6-7k for a turbo w/o installation?

should change their name to Greedy
you should get a clue as to how much money is put into testing goes into making it reliable. Also we're getting a lot of stuff, 2 turbos, etc. That's not to mention that it has an intercooler already (which some greddy kits dont have standard).
Old 05-22-2003, 08:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Again, read all of the posts i have made in the last 2 days. One article claimed the cost was under 4K, another article claimed it was under 6K, then the phone call with Tommy, he said he "felt" it would be somewhere between 6-7K. There is a hugh variation there in pricing. I think it is too early to judge that kit yet on price, reliabilty, or HP. The best thing to me about Greddy is they are really testing this product over a long period of time. The negative to me is they are not willing to put a warranty on the kit in writing...according to Tommy.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2003, 09:18 PM
bigworm521

Originally posted by zland
Again, read all of the posts i have made in the last 2 days. One article claimed the cost was under 4K, another article claimed it was under 6K, then the phone call with Tommy, he said he "felt" it would be somewhere between 6-7K. There is a hugh variation there in pricing. I think it is too early to judge that kit yet on price, reliabilty, or HP. The best thing to me about Greddy is they are really testing this product over a long period of time. The negative to me is they are not willing to put a warranty on the kit in writing...according to Tommy.

Jeff
The warranty will come - for all reasons testing is still going on. They want to ensure reliability, performance, etc....I predict we won't see this release until next year!
Old 05-23-2003, 05:42 AM
mcduck

Again, read all of the posts i have made in the last 2 days. One article claimed the cost was under 4K, another article claimed it was under 6K, then the phone call with Tommy, he said he "felt" it would be somewhere between 6-7K.
Hmm... maybe it's me, but it sounds like the Autoweek figure may not include the additional cost of the intercooler and its install.

While zland's interviewee stated that the intercooler was part of the package, I don't remember that being stated in the Autoweek article.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

No one is for sure right now since they kit is not finished. If they are going to cut cost, they will most likely use smaller turbos, with built-in wastegate, and no intercooler. This will probably cut the cost down to $4000.00. They may even offer it with fuel pressure riser, instead of e-manage and larger 440cc injector. Who knows..

Just be patient. I doubt we will see the kit for sale before the year end. If you want carb certification, you'll probably have to wait until next year.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by TJZ
you should get a clue as to how much money is put into testing goes into making it reliable. Also we're getting a lot of stuff, 2 turbos, etc. That's not to mention that it has an intercooler already (which some greddy kits dont have standard).
No he should not get a clue. He's absolutely right. $8,000 for a turbo kit is a lot of money. I don't care about the testing. Testing costs are recouped through sales of multiple units of product. You're not getting 2 of everything. You're getting 2 turbos, 2 sets of piping, 2 intakes. still one piggyback ECU, 1 intercooler, BOV's are optional, etc. I'm coming from the Audi scene where things are a lot more expensive. A K04 upgrade kit runs about $6500. That includes 2 K04 turbos, 2 sets of inlet pipes, software, injectors, FPR, airbox, intake pipes, 2 intercoolers, and all the necessary hardware. and even that is expensive.

As I stated earlier, I have a reputable racing shop that has been talking to me about a custom set up with a full DFI for a little over 10k installed. And that will crank out a hell of a lot more power than 345 at the wheels.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:10 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Zaphod 350z:

Did you see my idea of a possible group buy for a FI system? Look at the thread. If you have a tuner that can get a better set up for the money than Greddy etc., maybe we can get some people to do a group buy thus reducing the price to each person? If you like the concept, maybe we can talk about it. For me, it is all about getting the best set up for the right price.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2003, 06:12 AM
mcduck

Default More fuel for the fire.

Not sure if anyone else spied this yet, but there is a nice write-up on the GReddy turbo over at Turbo Magazine's website

The article claims price will be "under $6000" and the kit will be available "Summer 2003"

Further, the write states that this price includes the intercooler. However, under the picture of the intercooler (which I have attached below) there is a caption that reads ...

"The optional front-mount intercooler employs a dual-inlet, single-outlet configuration. "

So, it does sound like you can get the kit without the intercooler and that would be where the sub-$4000 price came from.

The article also states that the test car showed a 90whp gain at 5.6lbs of boost (334.2whp and 339.2 ft-lbs of torque). This does include the GReddy exhaust set-up, though. Motor Trend tested the set up in the 1/4 at 12.9 seconds (no speed listed).

Really, a nice little article with some good pics of the install. I do hope that the basic kit comes out affordably priced with some upgrade options (stage 1, stage 2, etc.)
Attached Thumbnails Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003-0307tur_350z05_z.jpg  

Quick Reply: Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003