Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 11:55 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please post up any info you get from top secret. I am really interested in what they will be offering as well.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:25 PM
jasonh1234

The greddy tt 350z is in the latest issue of Superstreet magazine in case anyone didn't know.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:58 PM
toykilla

[i]
They most likely are not going to release it here as any type of kit, and it will not be CARB certified. [/B]
what would prevent them from releasing this as a kit? i dont care about CARB cert. I just want mean power! I plan to swap cams/pistons/rods/clutch all at the same time when i do turbos
Old 07-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Blue Three50

I agree. To all those complaining about price: that's why there are different companies with different advantages. For the people who do want to push the 800+ hp that this engine may be possible of handling, the greddy kit seems to be a step in the right direction. Now I may be young and a bit ignorant at 21, but to each his own. If you want a vette, buy a vette, if you want a porche, buy a porche, if you want a stock Z buy one. If you want the sickest Z money can buy then go out and work to make that money. Then spend the money wisely and know that this is an expensive hobby and nothing is gauranteed in aftermarket modification. I didn't buy this car, in the performance model, because I couldn't afford anything else, I could have worked and waited til I could buy something faster (out of the box) but this was exactly the car I wanted and I want to gradually build this car up in both speed and in styling. The truth is no one really knows anything right now. We don't know how much the greddy kit will cost, how much HP gain we'll see, we don't even know which turbos they're using. I think this has been a good post so far, but there's just been a little too much speculation for me. If anyone has any substantial information about the "Greddy kit" for the "350z" please post here or feel free to pm me, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

-Ryan
Old 07-02-2003, 07:13 PM
toykilla

too bad greddy is just holding us on the edge of our seats.... and top secret is holding back even further than that...man all the info we have gotten on this stuff is speculation and what the magazines print..which isnt too accurate usually
Old 07-03-2003, 04:30 AM
turbo03

Top secret is not sure if they are going to be producing a kit to fit the USA Z. The kit they have and are releasing this month is for the JDM version of the Z which we all know has the steering wheels on the right hand side. The Exhaust manifolds on the JDM Z are completely different from the USA manifolds due to steering wheel on the right hand side. You also have some of your facts worng about the Top Secret kit.

1. It is a single turbo kit. They were going to try to make a twin turbo, but couldn't fit the turbos they wanted on each side of the motor. They then scrapped the twin turbo idea and went with single turbo.

2. The single turbo is place on the passenger side of the motor on there kit. This is on a JDM motor not USA motor. If you took the kit and tried to bolt it up you would be putting the turbo on the driver side of the motor (because we have steering wheel on the left hand side) which you would then have to deal with the rack and pinion steering which would allow for even less room. They put the turbo on the passender side of the JDM motor because it had more room to fit the turbo.

3. The kit will have be using HKS F-Con V Pro for engine management which can only be tuned by a HKS certified PRO facility. I believe there is only 1 in the USA.

4. The kit will include Intake plenum,turbo, manifold, intercooler and F-Con V Pro

I know a few companies have the kit on order so we will have to wait and see once they get it what will have to be changed. The kit i would imagine if someone was going to revamp to fit USA cars will not have a release date untilend of year if they are going to include fuel management. Pretty much the same thing that Power Enterprise is doing will have to be done to the top secret kit.

thanks,
Greg
Old 07-03-2003, 09:45 AM
eskimo

Originally posted by turbo03
1. It is a single turbo kit. They were going to try to make a twin turbo, but couldn't fit the turbos they wanted on each side of the motor. They then scrapped the twin turbo idea and went with single turbo.

2. The single turbo is place on the passenger side of the motor on there kit. This is on a JDM motor not USA motor. If you took the kit and tried to bolt it up you would be putting the turbo on the driver side of the motor (because we have steering wheel on the left hand side) which you would then have to deal with the rack and pinion steering which would allow for even less room. They put the turbo on the passender side of the JDM motor because it had more room to fit the turbo.

3. The kit will have be using HKS F-Con V Pro for engine management which can only be tuned by a HKS certified PRO facility. I believe there is only 1 in the USA.

4. The kit will include Intake plenum,turbo, manifold, intercooler and F-Con V Pro

I know a few companies have the kit on order so we will have to wait and see once they get it what will have to be changed. The kit i would imagine if someone was going to revamp to fit USA cars will not have a release date untilend of year if they are going to include fuel management. Pretty much the same thing that Power Enterprise is doing will have to be done to the top secret kit.

thanks,
Greg
Are you sure about this, putting a turbo on one exhaust manifold would greatly increase backpressure on three of the cylinders while the other three ran free. Sounds like a snapped crankshaft or at least a whole lot of rocking and misfires to me. For a V engine to run a single turbo it would seem to me that both manifolds would have to meet at one turbo for it to function properlly without destroying the engine. Hence, the Top Secret kit could be put on a USDM Z with only the need to fabricate a set of manifolds.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Dom

Originally posted by Blue Three50
I agree. We don't know how much the greddy kit will cost, how much HP gain we'll see, we don't even know which turbos they're using. -Ryan

Why don't we know?
TurboMag wrote everything or have I missed s.th?
They said the twin TD05H 18G are a bit too big for that application but it's only because they are running street legal and very, very low boost.
If you ask me they should produce one kit with smaller turbos with internal wastegate for those looking for street legal 300-350whp and one kit with bigger turbos for big numbers.
They wrote the kit will cost about 6.000usd and comes with turbos, wastegates, headers, pre-programmed e-manage, intakes and hardware.
So you also need to build the engine with cams, pistons, conn. rods, head gasket, i/c, injectors, pump, boost controller, clutch...
Let's say 10.000 or slightly over. Sounds fair for reliable 500+whp
Old 07-03-2003, 02:04 PM
msink

Im pretty sure the kit comes with injectors, 440cc to be specific.

Mark
Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Droppin_Gears

I hope their kit doesn't come with their exhaust, personally Greddy exhausts usually sound very annoying and buzzy to me.

Also for the reliable 500+ rwhp, conn rods, wrist pins, low comp pistons, i/c, it will come with 440 cc injectors, but for over 500 rwhp, perhaps 550 injectors or bigger, fuel pump, boost controller, perhaps- the e-manage can serve as the boost controller also(finally get to put my laptop to good use! bwaha!), clutch for sure, probably stronger head studs, and while you have the engine apart, p&p the head. As for cams, not necessary but big gains will be seen more than likely with an FI app on this engine. Head gasket probably won't be necessary, but better safe than sorry.

So pretty much what Dom said with a few differences in personal opinion.

As for 500+ rwhp reliable, I'd bet with a built engine like that 600ish rwhp would still be very reliable....... hmm race gas for track days anyone?
Old 07-03-2003, 06:04 PM
turbo03

Originally posted by eskimo
Are you sure about this, putting a turbo on one exhaust manifold would greatly increase backpressure on three of the cylinders while the other three ran free. Sounds like a snapped crankshaft or at least a whole lot of rocking and misfires to me. For a V engine to run a single turbo it would seem to me that both manifolds would have to meet at one turbo for it to function properlly without destroying the engine. Hence, the Top Secret kit could be put on a USDM Z with only the need to fabricate a set of manifolds.
If you don't think fabricating a set of manifolds will be very expensive then may I suggest building a custom turbo kit instead of waiting. The manifolds are one of the hardest parts on the kit to make other than tuning of the kit. My Impreza 2.5 RS was fed by on side of motor. I had no problems and ran a 12.6@108 in 1/4 mile. This car also had a high compression like the Z33 for boost. I ran 22psi and had no issues. It all comes down to tuning. We won't know the limit till we get the kit and start pushing the motor to the edge.

thanks,
Greg
Old 07-03-2003, 08:08 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Greg:

I think greddy and others might know some limits to engine if rumors of blown motors are true. I assume this is not the first engine they have TT so they must know just a little bit about tuning.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Dom

Originally posted by msink
Im pretty sure the kit comes with injectors, 440cc to be specific.

Mark
It's true, they said it'll come with 44cc injectors.
For big numbers we'll need 550s or 680s maybe more.
For 6cyl. engines (supra, 300zx, skyline) the formula is like:
injector size = possible flywheel horsepower (no guarantee on that)

so for a 600rwhp you'll need at least 720cc injectors.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:23 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Darn, that's way too much money. I hope too many people don't fall for it, I mean buy it, unless it helps drive down the price.