Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 06:20 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

mcduck:

Yes, as I stated in one of my post, we are getting conflicting prices for Greddy TT kit. One article stated under 4k, another under 6K, and Tommy at Greddy said somewhere between 6-7K. I wish I had read those articles before I spoke with him to ask him why there is such a hugh variation in proposed prices. I got an e-mail from Greddy yesterday after requesting info, it was a form type e-mail just stating the kit is not out yet, prices and HP are not availible yet, contact a ceritified installer when it is released etc... Sorry to be posting conflicting data, it is just that I am getting conflicting data thus I post all data and let you guys figure it out just like me.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2003, 06:24 AM
Zaphod 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Zaphod 350z:

Did you see my idea of a possible group buy for a FI system? Look at the thread. If you have a tuner that can get a better set up for the money than Greddy etc., maybe we can get some people to do a group buy thus reducing the price to each person? If you like the concept, maybe we can talk about it. For me, it is all about getting the best set up for the right price.

Jeff
The shop I go to would really just do a one off, or a couple but they would want to do the install and tuning. They are DFI tuners and that's not something you do from 3000 miles away! The guys at Acosta Racing (who post here) were talking about putting together a kit and were looking for group buy interest. They seem to be making some nice stuff and their fabrication looks pretty tight. Plus they have a dyno and they make sure their stuff shows gains before reselling.

I must say I am curious about the ProCharger kit and I will see what that is about. The rumor mill is saying under $4000 for everything including intercooler.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:20 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

1. Does any one have a guess at how many MPG we will lose if we go TT? I know more power = more gas.

2. Zaphod 350z: Yes, hp gains + price of procharger look great. Now, it is a matter of customer service and reliability of product that are concerns. From Mustang forums, they describe a very loud unit. That might be a factor too.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2003, 07:28 AM
350zdanny

Zaphod,

I'm in NYC too. Do you know how to contact Acosta. I emailed them a couple times about the Y-Pipe, which does look dope.

I'm not sure if I like the fact that they haven't put up the dyno yet and it fouled the plugs the first time, but I'm still optimistic about their products.

I'm interested in the TT group buy so if you speak to them, keep me posted.

Jeff,

I contacted ATI about the procharger kit and they haven't responded yet. Did you have any luck contacting them?

-Dan
Old 05-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Zaphod 350z

Jeff - Customer service is a big deal naturally. Just keep in mind that the angry man yells louder than the happy man. And as far as how loud the thing is, the louder the better! I love cool noises!

Dan - I don't know specifically who to contact as Acosta as I've never dealt with them personally but Matt (Importlife) is their guinea pig. You could shoot him a line. If you're in the area, I'd be more than happy to help with any install stuff!

Eric
Old 05-23-2003, 08:22 AM
mcduck

zland... I received the same pre-canned email response from GReddy a few weeks ago.

Like everyone else, I'm eagerly waiting to see how ProCharger's offering turns out. My preference had been the TT, but how could I pass up the same (or more!) power for $3-4K less?!?!

There is the quality/dependability/customer service factor to weigh in... that's where I'm hoping Jeremy and other folks who get the kit first will give us some honest reviews of their experiences.

With any luck, I'll be able to get some upgrade at the end of summer and purchase it with an acceptable level of peace of mind...
Old 05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

The hp projections for procharger are enough HP for me. They are claiming a minimum of 50% hp gain (287hp X 150% = 430hp) which is enough for me. I do not plan on replacing internals (hopefiuully nothing will go wrong forcing me to do it). I think somewhere around 400-450 is a sweet spot and hopefully clutch, tranny etc can take that much hp.

I wonder what SC unit procharger will use. Hopefully the SC they use is not the problematic one on the Mustangs.

I am not sold on one unit or the other yet. It all comes down to hp gain, dependability, warranty.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2003, 10:23 AM
350zdanny

Eric -

I decided to go with whichever hits the market first:

1) Veilside or Crawford Headers, Crawford Plenum, Acosta Racing or Fujitsubo Y-pipe, JIC Ti Exhaust, and something similar to the Mine's kit for internals (but not $5000 worth). Most of this stuff is for sale already.
------OR------
2) The Greddy kit with FMIC and boost controller to start.

Either way it's gonna cost me 7-9K. I'm leaning toward the second option because I built high compression already. But either way I already have Tein Flex Coilovers on order, so when all the parts get in you're more than welcome to help me tear down the car. Some buddies of mine in NJ have a lift and an engine hoist so the turbo install won't be too difficult if it comes to that. And I've never installed suspension parts myself so if you have any experience with that, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff-

I did some calculations and at the low end, the Procharger kit is supposed to put out around 355-360 whp (17% drivetrain loss), so I would go with some type of aftermarket clutch. I think that even with the 334.2 whp of the Greddy kit, the stock clutch will not hold up for extremely long. That said, either way I go, I plan to ride the stock until it's dead.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:05 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Yeah but........

Originally posted by Zaphod 350z
As I stated earlier, I have a reputable racing shop that has been talking to me about a custom set up with a full DFI for a little over 10k installed. And that will crank out a hell of a lot more power than 345 at the wheels. [/B]
Yeah but bro, don't you think ALOT more power could be dangerous on stock Internals? You would probably need to mess with internal parts and at least Greddy is doing testing. When Greddy is done testing they can at least tell the public how far you can push the envelope. LET THEM BLOW UP THERE ENGINE FIRST! Thats what testing is for... Sorry for my ignorance, but whats DFI??
Old 05-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Zaphod 350z

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Eric -

I decided to go with whichever hits the market first:

1) Veilside or Crawford Headers, Crawford Plenum, Acosta Racing or Fujitsubo Y-pipe, JIC Ti Exhaust, and something similar to the Mine's kit for internals (but not $5000 worth). Most of this stuff is for sale already.
------OR------
2) The Greddy kit with FMIC and boost controller to start.

Either way it's gonna cost me 7-9K. I'm leaning toward the second option because I built high compression already. But either way I already have Tein Flex Coilovers on order, so when all the parts get in you're more than welcome to help me tear down the car. Some buddies of mine in NJ have a lift and an engine hoist so the turbo install won't be too difficult if it comes to that. And I've never installed suspension parts myself so if you have any experience with that, your help would be greatly appreciated.

That's an upside to SC, you can use whatever headers you want. Yeah man, I'm totally down for installs. I work with a buddy of mine on all projects so I'll draft him too when the time comes.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:16 AM
LSs1Power

Default The kit is nice but...

Why would Greddy use two TD05H 18G's when a TD05H 16G's will the same job and IMO with better results. The guys with the ZX300 running TD05 16G's are doing close to 700rwhp. To fully use the TD05 16G the guys at Zx300 club runs at least 14psi. I would assume the 18G need to be boosted at 15psi at least so u will get into the efficiency of the turbo's. I would use the TD05 16G as a tuner kit for the 350Z and the TD04 15G as a base kit (for stock C/R motors) and by that i will lower the price by 1500-2000 for the kit. The nice thing about having the 15G is because the 350Z stock motor can use the turbo's, cheaper, and less lag. Even a built 350Z motor will be satisfied with the 16G. On the other hand IMO the 18G potential is lost because it’s too big for the stock C/R and u gets more lag with them too. Just a though i had to say it. I hope Greddy listens and uses smaller turbo's to sell more kits since its cheaper and has less lag when u have a daily driver car.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:51 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

LSs1Power:

Good post. It seems like I read somewhere lately (maybe at my350Z.com?) that Greddy is playing with smaller turbos now. If my memory is correct, they are having to put some restriction device on the bigger ones to just make them work thus the smaller ones make more sense. Sorry for lack of technical correctness. I think you are on the right path on this issue and lets hope Greddy gets it right.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2003, 09:51 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: The kit is nice but...

Originally posted by LSs1Power
Why would Greddy use two TD05H 18G's when a TD05H 16G's will the same job and IMO with better results. The guys with the ZX300 running TD05 16G's are doing close to 700rwhp. To fully use the TD05 16G the guys at Zx300 club runs at least 14psi. I would assume the 18G need to be boosted at 15psi at least so u will get into the efficiency of the turbo's. I would use the TD05 16G as a tuner kit for the 350Z and the TD04 15G as a base kit (for stock C/R motors) and by that i will lower the price by 1500-2000 for the kit. The nice thing about having the 15G is because the 350Z stock motor can use the turbo's, cheaper, and less lag. Even a built 350Z motor will be satisfied with the 16G. On the other hand IMO the 18G potential is lost because it’s too big for the stock C/R and u gets more lag with them too. Just a though i had to say it. I hope Greddy listens and uses smaller turbo's to sell more kits since its cheaper and has less lag when u have a daily driver car.
Ok, I found the data I was talking about. This is from an online article by turbo magazine.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0307tur_350z

In that article it said..." The prototype kit may see some fine tuning as GReddy is considering downsizing the turbo, "The 18G is a bit oversized and requires intake restrictors to keep the boost down," says Chung. "We may go to actuator turbos and/or a single wastegate." The kit is expected to hit the street by summer 2003".

Also, in that same article, it stated it would be under $6000 but there are so many statements about price, I would not take it as being accurate.

Jeff
Old 05-24-2003, 10:02 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

LSs1Power:

Can you tell us more about thus turbo set up you speak of? I would love to see more specs and cost. Maybe we should consider this set up and tuner if it is a good set up? I am all ears....

Jeff
Old 05-24-2003, 04:28 PM
LSs1Power

Originally posted by zland
LSs1Power:

Can you tell us more about thus turbo set up you speak of? I would love to see more specs and cost. Maybe we should consider this set up and tuner if it is a good set up? I am all ears....

Jeff
LOL man u understood me wrong. I'm not making any turbo kits. I was making a suggesting about what should Greddy use as a turbo size because the 18G was an overkill for the stock motor and the price. It was just a thought, thats all.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:38 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Weird

You know, it almost makes me wonder why Greddy even thought of putting in the 18G Turbos when it is a no brainer that the smaller turbos will work just fine. Was there a reason for that first larger turbo try?? I wonder. MAybe just to say that the kit uses larger turbos or maybe to see how far they can push the engine the first time around? I don't know. What's the reason for there insanity???
Old 05-27-2003, 04:40 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push the engine? They did that, because I heard they fried a rod.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:38 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Yeah but........

I know they pushed the engine but why with the larger turbos??? They could have pushed the envelope with the smaller more responsive Turbos as well. Didn't someone say that the smaller turbos were in the Greddy kit for the older Z and people got 500+hp?
Old 05-27-2003, 02:38 PM
msink

One reason might have been to see what they could do w/o an IC. The larger turbos have cooler air at the same psi as smaller turbos. These are safer.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:44 PM
joandy

I personally think that the 350z would probably be able to put up more boost with out having something blown (detonation). I guess the only reason why Greddy had their boost level set to 5.6psi is because they have crappy or poor fuel/timing management. ie. emange + probably 3 piggybacks. I personally would go for a standalone ecu that can be fine tuned with proper air/fuel ratios. Maybe an AEM EMS or Haltek or possible EFI PMS which still keeps the OBDII ecu which is i guess semi-standalone. I personally wouldn't buy the full kit from Greddy or any other company that make turbo kits. Only obvious reason is for the company to make money. Only thing i probably buy from the company if they are willing is the turbo manifold and then have everything else custom made. ie. intercooler piping, dump tube, etc. etc. Thats my opinion i guess.. and of course it'll cost more. But it's getting the job done right. TUNING is the key for a proper turbo setup.

Quick Reply: Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003