Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:12 AM
350Zwannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning

Originally posted by joandy
I personally think that the 350z would probably be able to put up more boost with out having something blown (detonation). I guess the only reason why Greddy had their boost level set to 5.6psi is because they have crappy or poor fuel/timing management. ie. emange + probably 3 piggybacks. I personally would go for a standalone ecu that can be fine tuned with proper air/fuel ratios. Maybe an AEM EMS or Haltek or possible EFI PMS which still keeps the OBDII ecu which is i guess semi-standalone. I personally wouldn't buy the full kit from Greddy or any other company that make turbo kits. Only obvious reason is for the company to make money. Only thing i probably buy from the company if they are willing is the turbo manifold and then have everything else custom made. ie. intercooler piping, dump tube, etc. etc. Thats my opinion i guess.. and of course it'll cost more. But it's getting the job done right. TUNING is the key for a proper turbo setup.
Your saying a multimillion dollar tuning company won't get it right when its time to release the kit? There turbo kits for other cars are outstanding. Oh and what you said about tuning is the key for proper turbo set up. NO SH*T, even on the Greddy kit or any other prefabed kit you buy or custom kit. Once you dial in the proper tuning you'll be fine. It's not rocket science. I can understand the fun and challenge of putting your own kit together but when your talking about your expensive engine and possibly blowing it, well I think I'll take a chance with the Greddy Boys.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
LSs1Power

Originally posted by joandy
TUNING is the key for a proper turbo setup.
U are right since every SC'd or turbo'd car need tunning. But i would agree more if u said a Turbo choice is the key for a great turbo setup.

Last edited by LSs1Power; 05-28-2003 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:12 AM
350Zwannabe

Default what?

Originally posted by LSs1Power
U are right since every SC'd or turbo'd car need tunning. But i would agree more with Turbo choice is the key for a great turbo setup.
HUh?What?Huh????
Old 05-28-2003, 11:48 AM
LSs1Power

Default Re: what?

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
HUh?What?Huh????
Sorry about that... i did correct it LOL.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:36 PM
joandy

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash Greddy or any other aftermarket company that prefabricates kits. I've dealt with those companies before. I'm not sure if you have much knowledge about turbos and the why motors blow. Like I said. In my opinion, I'd go with something that's reliable. Yes these motor's are expensive. That why it's expensive to keep these motors reliable. You have to remember that these motors aren't made for FI. You think slapping on a turbo kit you're ready off to drive and start pushing your car. Like I said.... I just speak from experience since I've had and dealt with turbo cars. A lot more than you think than just bolting stuff on and do some "simple" tuning. Of course it's not rocket science, but not any amateur person can put this on. You really think they come out with a turbo for a car for the owners out there to make their car faster? If greddy or any other aftermarket company made a turbo kit that is truly reliable (if possible) I'm pretty sure you'd be spending over 10k easy for the kit. Obviously not everyone has the money for that. anyways.... I just advise people to know what they get themselves into before going into forced induction.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

So are ou saying that with all the mods Greddy is doing and running 5.6 PSI. it is not going to be dependable? If not, then what are they not doing that would make it dependable?
Old 06-05-2003, 03:16 AM
pakman

Originally posted by raceboy
Why put another $10K in the Z, that is friggin' retarded. Buy a very slightly used Z06 instead, warranty and all.
That is one of the dumbest, overused statements I have ever heard. With your logic, why not just buy a 5.0 foxbody? The performance potential in a foxbody supercedes that of a Z06. Regardless, people mod THEIR cars because they like THEIR cars.

Think before you post next time.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:14 AM
99AllTurbo

Just got off the phone with a friend that visited Greddy in Japan this week. He was told that they have gotten 101whp out of the kit. He also reminded me that they are using the stk cats (of course) due to legal issues. So we all know what happens when you replace the cats for race pipes on a turbo car.

He's gonna be one of the first in Orlando (he's Greddy distributor/vendor) to get the kit so will be great to see one in person.

OT- Will get some pics of his LS Track Z with 20' bling blings, Espirit body kit and Tanabe exhaust.

Last edited by 99AllTurbo; 06-05-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 99AllTurbo
Just got off the phone with a friend that visited Greddy in Japan this week. He was told that they have gotten 101whp out of the kit.
They are getting more than 101whp. Last dyno was 417RWHP @ .7 bar of boost. If you take that and subtract 244 you get 173RWHP gain.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
They are getting more than 101whp. Last dyno was 417RWHP @ .7 bar of boost. If you take that and subtract 244 you get 173RWHP gain.
Are we talking stock internals as it would be released in the USA?
Old 06-05-2003, 10:46 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by pakman
That is one of the dumbest, overused statements I have ever heard. With your logic, why not just buy a 5.0 foxbody? The performance potential in a foxbody supercedes that of a Z06. Regardless, people mod THEIR cars because they like THEIR cars.

Think before you post next time.

I think his only point was that if you dump 10K into the Z you will have spent between 40-50K most likely (depending on your model).

With that kind of monetary outlay, you could get a Z06 that is completely stock, possibly still with warranty, and will still out handle the FI'd Z and probably have more reliable HP as well.

I think the point is very valid, as many of us may have bought a Z06 if we were willing to spend that kind of money.

Of course, often half the fun in owning a car is in modding it, which is why I threw in the wiseass remark about having to then go Lingenfelter on the Z06.

Both points have merit.

-D'oh!
Old 06-06-2003, 04:34 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Corvette

If anyone thinks driving a Corvette is actually FUN to drive, your wrong!JMO
Old 06-06-2003, 04:50 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Default Re: Corvette

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
If anyone thinks driving a Corvette is actually FUN to drive, your wrong!JMO
Excuse me but what does this statement above have to do with this thread? We are talking about the Greddy Twin Turbo kit coming out. If you want to talk about Vettes, start a thread about them.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:54 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Chill...

Originally posted by zland
Excuse me but what does this statement above have to do with this thread? We are talking about the Greddy Twin Turbo kit coming out. If you want to talk about Vettes, start a thread about them.
Hold your horses surfer boy, calm down and take a deeeep breath. OK, I just made a quick statement about the Vette because someone said to just go out and get a ZO6 instead of dropping 8-10K more on the Z for a TT kit. My answer to that was, Why? A Vette is boring, Heavy, and not fun to drive. I don't think I will start offending too many people to throw anyone off the main subject of this thread. OKIJOKI MAN.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:08 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

No problem, this is a good thread, just making sure we do not lose focus and start debating how good a vette is or is not....Jeff
Old 06-06-2003, 10:18 AM
350zdanny

No problem, this is a good thread, just making sure we do not lose focus and start debating how good a vette is or is not....Jeff
DAMMIT! I just wanted to post a reply about how good the Z06 actually is, and that the idiot who says the Z06 is heavy and not fun to drive has obviously never driven one. I guess I'll hold that comment for another time. Oh, wait, I already typed it.

Jeff,

I think I'm abandoning the Greddy kit idea. I'm gonna look into Top Secret instead. They make more power with their "kit" (obviously because of the lower compression) and I trust their work as much as I trust Greddy's work. The only problem is paying for the titanium manifolds they use

I guess I'll keep the Greddy in the back of my mind and see what they come up with if I don't have a setup similar to Top Secret before then.

-Dan
Old 06-06-2003, 10:59 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by 350zdanny

I think I'm abandoning the Greddy kit idea. I'm gonna look into Top Secret instead. They make more power with their "kit" (obviously because of the lower compression) and I trust their work as much as I trust Greddy's work. The only problem is paying for the titanium manifolds they use

I guess I'll keep the Greddy in the back of my mind and see what they come up with if I don't have a setup similar to Top Secret before then.

-Dan
Here are some questions for you about top secret SC kit if you know them:

1. How do you know details of Top Secret kit?
2. How much hp will it be putting out.
3. What do you estimate the cost including those manifolds....?
4. Any idea on how close to release date?
5. Will it be street legal./pass smog in California?

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 06-06-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:02 AM
350Zwannabe

Default ok tough guy.

Originally posted by 350zdanny
DAMMIT! I just wanted to post a reply about how good the Z06 actually is, and that the idiot who says the Z06 is heavy and not fun to drive has obviously never driven one.

-Dan
OK tough guy! The ZO6 puts out good amount G force and has great power, so what its still a Vette. BORING. I've driven it, big deal no grin was left on my face. I guess it all goes back to that one post about purchasing a Z06 instead of spending $10,000 on your Z motor. Your THE PERFECT CANDIDATE!

Your going to crack open the Z motor for stronger internals to get Top Secret 400+ HP? Greddy wasn't shooting for that goal. Greddy wants everyone to buy an off the shelf kit that bolts right on using stock internals. If you wanted to do what TopSecret is doing, it can easily be done with the Greddy kit if you want. ITs called upgrading certain items like any kit out there. Again if the Z06 is so wonderful to you then you should have purchased one for $40K. Another big mouth! Peace DannyBoy.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:32 PM
TJZ

does anyone have a website I can go to for more info on the Top Secret kit?

thanks,
Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 PM
350zdanny

Your going to crack open the Z motor for stronger internals to get Top Secret 400+ HP? Greddy wasn't shooting for that goal. Greddy wants everyone to buy an off the shelf kit that bolts right on using stock internals. If you wanted to do what TopSecret is doing, it can easily be done with the Greddy kit if you want. ITs called upgrading certain items like any kit out there. Again if the Z06 is so wonderful to you then you should have purchased one for $40K. Another big mouth! Peace DannyBoy.
What exactly is your problem? I don't care what goal Greddy is shooting for. I said I am shooting for Top Secret's setup as my goal. I like what they did with their car. I like what they did with their Skylines. I like what they did with their Silvias. I like their ideas. That has nothing to do with Greddy.

And If I wanted a Z06, I would have bought it. I don't like people like you who slam others for making valid points. How can you appreciate the Z for what it is, but not appreciate the Corvette for what it is? It's a cultural icon bigger than the Z will ever be and they finally made a car with enough bite to live up to that. But you couldn't understand that, because you're ignorant. I'd be proud to own a Z06, I just like the Z better.
Peace wannabe

does anyone have a website I can go to for more info on the Top Secret kit?
You can go buy the new Turbo and check it out there or try www.topsecretjpn.com

Here are some questions for you about top secret SC kit if you know them:
Jeff,

Top Secret's 350z has an article in Turbo Magazine. It has a pair of GT30 ball bearing turbos, titanium manifolds, Top Secret intercooler, trust wastegates, a Top Secret radiator, a Top Secret oil cooler, and their Titan titanium exhaust. It's putting down 451 whp right now at 10psi. I really have no idea how much it's going to cost, but a rough estimate would be $15k for an acceptable setup, much more if you want the car exactly like thiers. They have a Cusco lsd, twin plate clutch, TS coil overs, big brakes, and huge TE-37's, among other things.

They most likely are not going to release it here as any type of kit, and it will not be CARB certified. It's definitely not as easy as the Greddy kit, but I think it will be much more unique and Top Secret has tuned some of the best Skylines ever put together so I'm confident in the quality.

I emailed Top Secret about it a few hours ago so hopefully I will hear back with some concrete pricing.

Quick Reply: Greddy Twin Turbo Kit update May 21, 2003