Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got my STS kit retuned at Performance Factory

Old 01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
ryn996

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look forward to seeing the results. I've been following this thread and it's good information on the STS, keep it coming! I've got a G as well and am interested in this kit.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:27 PM
DanielW
Banned

yeah theres a couple threads on the sts kit on here if you search for them
Old 01-17-2008, 06:49 AM
ryn996

Ya, I've read those too. This one and the "Official" thread are the two I've been keeping up with.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah everybody gives me hell about calling my thread the "official" one. The only thing thats official about it is that I was officially Fawked up when I made it haha
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
ryn996

No big deal on the name...it is one of the best sources of info on the STS kit for our motors that I have found, so good job on that.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:01 AM
DanielW
Banned

Just wanted to post up in this thread as well in case anyone is reading it and hasn't seen the other STS thread. Anyway I just got the car retuned at PF as well yesterday and my sentiments (sentiments?) are the same as John's. Jeremy is a really cool dude that REALLY knows his **** when it comes to the VQ. It was well worth the 7 hour drive down to orlando and the ridiculous amount of money that was sucked out of me at Disney just to get the car tuned. I wont go anywhere elese for tuning anymore!!!

Check the other sts thread for more details. you know, the "official" one .
Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
tiguy99

Alright guys, I may be late to this thread but for me its still like discovering new information for the first time. As everyone can see, I'm beginning my research into the STS system for my G Coupe. I'd like to purchase sometime in the next year or so.

What I'm interested in is a tune that's has a smooth idle and drivability with exhaust sound extremely close to stock dB levels while driving in vaccum of course. For me, I still drive my car with family and friends etc. so I'd like to be able to continue doing so with the pleasure of boost every once in a while!

Second, I'd be happy with a conservative tune in the mid 300s on my stock motor. From everyone's experience here, what engine management system have you discovered is the best platform for providing the kind of tune I'm looking for?

What else should I look into as well? I've already begun asking around the board to see if a couple resonators can be mounted to help reduce exhaust noise a lil bit to stock level at the very least. We're still trying to find out if that's possible.

Am I crazy for thinking my objective can be accomplished out of the box or are there other factors I should consider?

I'm patient and willing to learn whatever's necessary to pull this off. I'm in no rush either. Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For engine management, it really depends what your tuner specializes in. I believe GRD is now an Osiris tuner, which would be a great option for the driveability factor. The UTEC is by far the cheapest option, with the Haltech being one of the most expensive. My friend with a Vortech up here in Milwaukee has the Haltech, and he raves about it all of the time. It definitely takes care of the (somewhat minor) issues that the UTEC has (hot start, occasional bucking going from off-throttle to slightly on-throttle, and the lack of a UI for map editing).

I think the STS kit would meet your needs. It does add an extra failure point over the other systems with the oil scavenge pump, but I don't believe anyone on here has had any issues with it.

When do you plan on buying something? Hopefully I'll have my car all done within a few months and I'll be able to give you a ride at a ChicagoZ meet.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 PM
tiguy99

What's going on Jonny. +1 on the added safety portion of the kit! For me FI is still a ways off. I'd say at least another year. I've got some money saved up but unfortunately its not for mods at this time. So I've started a mod $$$ fund that should be mature by summer 2010. (Fingers crossed)

I figure the whole thing should run me about 6.5-7K out the door based on what I've read but I could be off especially if I'm talking about advanced tuning and upgrading the EMS.

I had GRD install my HFCs back in January. Irfan was discussing with me the advantages of having my G coupe tuned now with all my breather mods (5/16" Iso Spacer, Berk HFCs, 350z HR Y Pipe, zTube/K&N) but we agreed to hold off for the moment.

I figure its better to keep saving and tune it once since the plan is to ultimately go FI.

When do you guys plan on coming up to Chicago? I'd love to see the ride! How was your STS tuned by the way?

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-22-2009 at 09:32 PM.