Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Got my STS kit retuned at Performance Factory

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 04:43 AM
TegraRacer134

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my STS kit retuned at Performance Factory

Well I have been wanting to get my car retuned now for some time and Jeremy @ Performance Factory had expressed interested in wanting to check out one of the STS kits.

I am so happy I decided to take the car to Jeremy. I dont think I will take my car anywhere else to get tuned now.

My car isnt the same car now. The car idles better, feels smoother, and pulls a lot harder. I love it.

Mods on the car include:

-STS Rear mount turbo kit
-UTEC
-Invidia test pipes
-RPS 6 Puck clutch
-STOCK PLENUM
-Turbo XS Manual boost controller
-Old Intercooler piping set up

Here is the final dynochart at 9.9psi
Jeremys weather station was acting weird during the tuning time. I am planning on putting it on a local dyno jet sometime this week to see what the final number is

Overall I couldnt be happier with the car. It feels great especially when it gets into the 30s here in charlotte at night.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:50 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What were the previous dyno #'s?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 AM
TegraRacer134

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
What were the previous dyno #'s?
Previous numbers were 364hp and 358tq seeing anywhere from low 8 to 8.5 Pounds of boost. The STS kit is weird you need to make back to back dyno pulls to make full boost.

Last edited by TegraRacer134; 11-13-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:54 AM
tig488

probably because with the piping like that, you lose some exhaust gas heat unless you keep doing pulls, can you tell a difference on the street?

numbers look good, i like how they have the EWG for the other exhaust, pretty cool looking setup. makes it really easy to work on. is it loud at all?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 AM
TegraRacer134

Originally Posted by tig488
probably because with the piping like that, you lose some exhaust gas heat unless you keep doing pulls, can you tell a difference on the street?

numbers look good, i like how they have the EWG for the other exhaust, pretty cool looking setup. makes it really easy to work on. is it loud at all?
Yeah theres difference. When I was driving back from Orlando saturday I got to charlotte around midnight and I got off my exit it was reading 38 degrees out and I floored it and had traction problems it would just light them up first, second and some of third gear the second it hit boost for the first time I have had the kit.

Last edited by TegraRacer134; 11-13-2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TegraRacer134
Previous numbers were 364hp and 358tq seeing anywhere from low 8 to 8.5 Pounds of boost. The STS kit is weird you need to make back to back dyno pulls to make full boost.

NICE!
D told me of your setup. Congrats.

35 more whp with 1.5-2 more psi

NOt the biggest fan of sts kit but the sound is just bad *** and your car is looking really good.....are you getting also that CF rear diffuser from MG?...
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 AM
GodSendsDeath

Nice, what about turbo lag how are those kits when it comes to that. Looks really sharp your Z liking it thats for sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 AM
WASHWIZ

Is this with the STS revised IC?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

No his car doesn't have the revised intercooler, same one that originally came with the kit.

The car is sooooo smooth now, HUGE difference from before. The only thing wrong with it now...is the lack of resonator...BIG mistake taking that thing off haha, but that will be fixed soon enough
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks man!!

your car was fun to play around with for sure. its always good to see the everything work out. the STS kit is a great kit that is fully upgradable. i will be installing a few of these on cars here soon. i will play around with them and figure out the few things that i thought was weird.

i am sure that with the proper boost controller, like an HKS EVC6, you can hit the same boost in every gear, we were just using a manual one from TXS. that was one thing i thought was weird, the back to back dyno runs.

the car was lean as hell when it got there, full boost was 11.8 to 12.3 to 1. thats at around 8-8.8 psi. it made around high 36x something but the utec was pulling timing so the graph looked really messed up. we got more hp on the same boost levels

thanks jon, nice meeting you and i am glad made it down here, we got in a few runs at our local track and he got to meet a lot of Orlando people....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Originally Posted by GodSendsDeath
Nice, what about turbo lag how are those kits when it comes to that. Looks really sharp your Z liking it thats for sure.

its weird, there really isnt as much lag as you think. it builds up nicely.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 AM
athenG

Great job Jeremy! Rear-Mount Turbo really need to be warmed up so you need to have it boost a few PSI to get it going. On the street it doesn't matter coz once you are moving the turbo will be warmed up the entire time unless you shutdown the car for over 15mins. With my Stock CAT the response is still great and can build boost from 0-8psi in less than 500rpm (Depend on the gear ). Heat wrapping the exhaust will help trap the Heat inside so you may want to do that on your future install.

Edit:
Wow I'm looking at the TQ curve and you hit peak TQ much sooner with my 8psi. What RPM does he hit Full Boost?

Last edited by athenG; 11-13-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

full boost at right around 3700 rpms
Old 11-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Looks great! Nice numbers
Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know a whole lot about the STS, but someone correct me if this is wrong. The driver side tailpipe is strictly for the wastegate dump?

And does anyone else think the tips looks like crap? Is there a way you could have an exhaust shop weld on different tips, like maybe the stock ones?

Either way, impressive numbers. It looks like Jer did another one right.

-Acree
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice numbers Jon.....that was a hell of a road trip.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Acree
I don't know a whole lot about the STS, but someone correct me if this is wrong. The driver side tailpipe is strictly for the wastegate dump?

And does anyone else think the tips looks like crap? Is there a way you could have an exhaust shop weld on different tips, like maybe the stock ones?

Either way, impressive numbers. It looks like Jer did another one right.

-Acree
Yes, the Driver side Exhaust tip is for the Wastegate dump. I do agree that the tip is ugly so me and goosegoose got this.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=1367

It is a Clamp-on but I cut mine and weld it.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by athenG
Yes, the Driver side Exhaust tip is for the Wastegate dump. I do agree that the tip is ugly so me and goosegoose got this.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=1367

It is a Clamp-on but I cut mine and weld it.
D@mn now THAT is clean! Why didn't STS put this on originally?

So the passenger side is strictly for under load, and normal exhaust flow. I'm not quite sure I like that too much. It seems like the exhaust sound from the rear of the car would be really weird. It would be like..."right right right right right right brrrrrrrr..... LEFT PSSSHH!!!... right right right right brrrr... LEFT!!! right.... brrrr....brr PSH!

That's the best way I can describe it.

-Acree
Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow-awesome results, and good looking curve-I bet that thing is fun. Congrats and like always good job Jeremy...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Originally Posted by Acree
D@mn now THAT is clean! Why didn't STS put this on originally?

So the passenger side is strictly for under load, and normal exhaust flow. I'm not quite sure I like that too much. It seems like the exhaust sound from the rear of the car would be really weird. It would be like..."right right right right right right brrrrrrrr..... LEFT PSSSHH!!!... right right right right brrrr... LEFT!!! right.... brrrr....brr PSH!

That's the best way I can describe it.

-Acree
LOL it doesn't sound odd by any means...just insanely loud at the moment. There is no distinct difference between the 2 sides...just a nice wastegate flutter here and there

Quick Reply: Got my STS kit retuned at Performance Factory