Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My horsepower saga

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
I have the exact same problem man.... there were no answers Sharif did every sort of trial and error but couldn't come up with anything, my compression was fine to according to the leak down test. So now The enitre motor is being tore down again and rebuilt. He thinks that either the valves or ringlands could be the problem. This has been such a huge headache, 5 + months and still no running car. I only made power up till 12psi and after that there was nothing. Ignore all these people that are saying its cause of your stock components... they dont know what there talking about, even with stock heads and cams your car should still produce good power. 16...17 psi and only 509hp... somthing is serioulsy wrong.
What's funny is that my car is doing about the exact same thing. So far we've been looking at the turbo system but wouldnt it be funny if it was something else like this all along.

I'm running C2 cams and a plenum spacer though.

Basically my car will make 530whp or so no matter how much boost it's running now.... Hopefully we'll find out soon if it's related...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

valve float could be an issue too. perhaps you have a bad valvespring? it wouldnt be a terrible idea to check it if you run thru everything else. you can check it by machining an intake port blockoff plate and tapping a hole in it for an air compressor fitting, then use a pressure regulator to push 20psi at it to make sure the valves dont push open? i have never done this before or heard of it done, but just an idea and i cant think of why it wouldnt work.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taurran
What's funny is that my car is doing about the exact same thing. So far we've been looking at the turbo system but wouldnt it be funny if it was something else like this all along.

Basically my car will make 530whp or so no matter how much boost it's running now.... Hopefully we'll find out soon if it's related...

Do you have JWT valvesprings and retainers?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
thawk408

Is it throwing any check engine lights?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:34 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Do you have JWT valvesprings and retainers?
Yes, at least they were specified in the build.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My motor is already tore down, I will be getting an anaylsis this week so I will post the results. I have Stage 2 Cams Scott Performance, and a Crawford plenum. This time I am going wth a different piston though, and they will bore, rehone and balance the motor. I really hope its not anything to do with my valves.... I do have stock valvetrain

This thread also sounds like the same case which taurran and I have encountered
Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Yes, at least they were specified in the build.
It's an outside shot, but maybe a few bad sets of JWT valvesprings were shipped out.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

It's an outside shot, but maybe a few bad sets of JWT valvesprings were shipped out.

long shot...

but GL
Old 11-20-2007, 05:38 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I just dont think you want to accept what many are telling you, and you currently may be in denial.
I would reccomend you follow the advice of several members of this forum and do the following first:
Check the cam timing
Check the ignition
Check the plug gap
Check the clearances on the motor
Do a compression test

Also I may have missed it but sometimes if the engine is not broken in yet the rings will not seat under higher boost levels.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

my recent build included a set of jwt springs and shims.....
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Responses imbedded in quote

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I just dont think you want to accept what many are telling you, and you currently may be in denial.
I would reccomend you follow the advice of several members of this forum and do the following first:
Check the cam timing How? Cipher?
Check the ignition how? Cipher again?
Check the plug gap done they are gapped to .028 inches as stated before. I did it last week
Check the clearances on the motor Wouldn't that require completely disassembling the motor? If so that's not a option at this point.
Do a compression test Already done and it came back perfect 152-156psi in all cylinders

Also I may have missed it but sometimes if the engine is not broken in yet the rings will not seat under higher boost levels. Engine has almost 4000 miles on it, it's broken in

Good luck.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 11-20-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Responses imbedded in quote
To check the proper cam timing, your going to have to take the front engine cover off, there is no way around it..We have also seen weak/cracked valve springs in some cases,but you upgraded your springs correct?
There is most likely an issue with the motor,just accept that and start to diagnose from there.For the pwoer to fal off up top it is most likely timing related,combustion pressure loss related, or a bottleneck in the exhaust system and turbo kit design,such as the TN kits. And since your rocking an APS with dual 3" down pipes, the last one is 99.9% not the issue...
I would start simply looking at it as a weak motor, since there are no signs of it breaking up up top, correct?
It sucks, but its part of playing the game.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

To check the proper cam timing, your going to have to take the front engine cover off, there is no way around it..We have also seen weak/cracked valve springs in some cases,but you upgraded your springs correct?
There is most likely an issue with the motor,just accept that and start to diagnose from there.For the pwoer to fal off up top it is most likely timing related,combustion pressure loss related, or a bottleneck in the exhaust system and turbo kit design,such as the TN kits. And since your rocking an APS with dual 3" down pipes, the last one is 99.9% not the issue...
I would start simply looking at it as a weak motor, since there are no signs of it breaking up up top, correct?
It sucks, but its part of playing the game.

Do you know if I can check cam timing with a cipher? I have JWT valvesprings and retainers. I'm going to start with a leakdown test and if that comes back good then I'll start tearing **** apart.

Motor isn't breaking up up top at all.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:45 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Zivman
my recent build included a set of jwt springs and shims.....
Just rain on my parade
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Check the cam timing
Check the ignition
Check the plug gap
Check the clearances on the motor
Do a compression test

Also I may have missed it but sometimes if the engine is not broken in yet the rings will not seat under higher boost levels.

Good luck.
LOL!!! Had to sneak that one in there didnt ya...
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 AM
synth19

Sorry to hear about your issues Brian, Irshad does have cipher loaded on their laptop in case you don't have it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Kenk2
LOL!!! Had to sneak that one in there didnt ya...
I didnt sneak anything in there..This is typical diagnosis.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by synth19
Sorry to hear about your issues Brian, Irshad does have cipher loaded on their laptop in case you don't have it.

I'm aware, but my car is "put away" for the winter so any diagnosis I do will have to be in my garage.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM
96sleeper

It could be valvesprings, but it sure looks like cam timing to me. The VTC's do very little after ~5200rpm if I remember correctly, and thats where your power starts to fall.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
max2000jp

I'm aware, but my car is "put away" for the winter so any diagnosis I do will have to be in my garage.
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is supposed to be nice and in the 40's. If you need a hand, give me a call. I have a long weekend.

Quick Reply: My horsepower saga