Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Robert_K's JWT TT Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokerZ
ahhh im HOPING to my JWT TT kit installed by august 1!!!!!

so you are definetly going with the 255lph pump as well as the 500+ injectors?

when you get it going, could you let me know if those are "overkill" or if they are perfect, please?

im making my shopping list soon and would like to know about injector sizes as well as if the pump is too much. thanks!

Adam Z.
First congrats!!! I think the JWT is one of the best TT kit available.

If you plan on running more boost than the stock wastegates (6.8psi) than I would upgrade to the larger fuel pump and injectors.

I think the 600cc are overkill but I went with those cause DW no longer offers 550cc. 440cc will be good for a couple pounds extra of boost.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Kal_El

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
First congrats!!! I think the JWT is one of the best TT kit available.

If you plan on running more boost than the stock wastegates (6.8psi) than I would upgrade to the larger fuel pump and injectors.

I think the 600cc are overkill but I went with those cause DW no longer offers 550cc. 440cc will be good for a couple pounds extra of boost.
Dude.... https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/329451-fs-deatschwerk-550cc-injectors-cheap.html
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Kal_El
Dude... Those are used. Also I've already ordered & received my 600s.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM
iceagetlc

Other than the gauge set-up looking like it costs more than the kit itself for someone running a stock kit, and the oil cooler kit, you seem to be on the right level for getting your car an easy 350whp.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
Other than the gauge set-up looking like it costs more than the kit itself for someone running a stock kit, and the oil cooler kit, you seem to be on the right level for getting your car an easy 350whp.
I'm sure with the supporting mod I already own I will pass 350whp. As for the gauges... I'm one to do it correctly the first time.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure with the supporting mod I already own I will pass 350whp. As for the gauges... I'm one to do it correctly the first time.
correctly???? don't see a complete motor build in your extensive list
Old 01-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Zivman
Motor build aren't needed on 7lbs or 9lbs of boost.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:11 PM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

robert at low boost levels your z should be ok without a built motor. but dont get boost happy and turn it up just for one second cuz then you WILL be buying your new motor
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
robert at low boost levels your z should be ok without a built motor. but dont get boost happy and turn it up just for one second cuz then you WILL be buying your new motor
Thanks! Fully aware of that and have preached it myself.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:20 PM
iceagetlc

Old 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=207

Looks like I have another "phat04350z" in my thread.

Last edited by Robert_K; 01-19-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:46 PM
iceagetlc

Calm down man. I don't plan on going built either but you and me know it, it's always going to be that blue elephant in the room no one talks about.

Good luck, though. Sucks you're off right after and can't enjoy it.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 AM
SilverSurfer03
Banned

who or what is phat04350z? Don't understand that comment. Good luck with your build. How long is it going to take you to build it?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:23 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer03
who or what is phat04350z? Don't understand that comment. Good luck with your build. How long is it going to take you to build it?

The issue with phat has been resolved..if you want to know, read back through the thread, otherwise it needs to be dropped..

Hey Robert..another day closer to being home...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Thanks! Not coming quick enough!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istan
Btw, there are less expensive oil coolers out there. You kinda pay alot for a name with the Stillen. I pieced mine together using Summit and a local race car parts store.
I received my Stillen oil & power steering coolers two days ago. When I opened the box for the oil cooler I found a Setrab cooler !! ....and the power steering cooler was an Earl's unit!! I was very dissapointed. Had I known I could have pieced together these kits myself, and probably for less!!! They are all quality pieces but I thought I was getting coolers MADE by Stillen. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:07 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy RE: Dual A/F gauges

ROBERT_K

I have been reading your thread with great interest. We have gone about adding F/I in an almost identical manner. I got my JWT TT installed in August '07 and have many of the same accessories you do. I am curious about one thing however; it seems the notion of using dual A/F gauges was not well received in this thread. Knowledgeable people (some with +25 yrs racing experience) have told me they think there are benefits to be gained. Not knowing all the technical aspects I would venture to say having dual A/F gauges with one gauge for left and right banks makes alot of sense. The purpose as given to me is to be able to spot instantly if there is a significant difference in readings between the two. This can alert you to detonation, fuel starvation and ECU problems just to name a few. Especially when you have a F/I system on a stock block as we both do these are critical. I have not purchased my A/F gauges yet, but I WILL do so. A blown block IS NOT in my future. Just my 2c.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Motor build aren't needed on 7lbs or 9lbs of boost.
I wouldn't entirely say that. While I think a stock motor can handle some boost and be decently reliable to boot; I would say a complete build would probably be the "correct" way to handle boost.

Just playing devils advocate in my previous response as well as this one. You really want to do it "correctly", I could pick apart your list a bit and building the motor would one thing...

Return style fuel system vs injectors and a pump

proper EMS - :cough: Fcon :cough:

The JWT clutch is a joke IMHO.... yes I have driven one. Why not do it correctly and get a multiface carbon clutch?

Do you plan on keeping your UR pulley and risk your motor.. maybe swap it out after it has taken out your oil pump?

Keeping the Stealin exhaust? Why not a proper APS or compairable exhaust designed to flow for boosted setups?

While I agree that your build is pretty decent.... get off your high horse that this is the "correct" way to do a build.

edit: And any build involving an SSQV is definitely not "correct" by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited by Zivman; 01-20-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I wouldn't entirely say that. While I think a stock motor can handle some boost and be decently reliable to boot; I would say a complete build would probably be the "correct" way to handle boost.

Just playing devils advocate in my previous response as well as this one. You really want to do it "correctly", I could pick apart your list a bit and building the motor would one thing...

Return style fuel system vs injectors and a pump

proper EMS - :cough: Fcon :cough:

The JWT clutch is a joke IMHO.... yes I have driven one. Why not do it correctly and get a multiface carbon clutch?

Do you plan on keeping your UR pulley and risk your motor.. maybe swap it out after it has taken out your oil pump?

Keeping the Stealin exhaust? Why not a proper APS or compairable exhaust designed to flow for boosted setups?

While I agree that your build is pretty decent.... get off your high horse that this is the "correct" way to do a build.

edit: And any build involving an SSQV is definitely not "correct" by any stretch of the imagination
OK Everything you have mentioned is NOT NEEDED with a bolt-on kit. Even a lot of my parts that I choose to upgrade are NOT NEEDED.

- Fuel Return System, Not needed for an owner not upping the boost considerably

- Proper EMS... JWT comes with a Spark Timing Control Module that many owners have used w/o problems. Also not every city has a Certified HKS FCon vendor/tuner therefore you have to go with what you can tune with.

- JWT a Joke! This is a personal opinion. Once again many owners are using the JWT w/o problems or concerns. Mulit-plate carbon clutch? This is my daily driver. I like my left leg/foot not to be numb or tired from pushing a multi-plate clutch down after a small traffic jam

- UR Pulley has been a concerned of mind and will be discussed with my builder. However I think there are several members F/Ied w/ a lightweight pulley

- Proper exhaust? Why APS? Just cause they make a turbo kit for the Z? Once again this is a personal preference opinion. The Stillen (correctly spelled) is just fine for my build.

- High horse and correct? WTF!! Kiss my Irish ass!

- Refer to above as far as the SSQV. This subject was covered a couple pages back.

See the problem is that most members here are about bragging what numbers they made and how fast they can drive a 1/4 mile in a straight line. Well two things about me... I don't need numbers to impress & drag racing doesn't prove you can drive. My build is about a car I can drive to/from work and hit the real race track (That would consist of right AND left turns) on the weekend. So having a 500+hp car isn't want I'm going for. So maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and take into consideration that not everyone wants a car like the next. [/rant]

EDIT: Maybe you should visit AAM and read up on the JWT kit. Pay close attention to; "Recommended options if you want to run between 7.5psi and 9psi with a boost controller:" and tell me if I need a built motor or FCON.

Last edited by Robert_K; 01-20-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 AM
SilverSurfer03
Banned

To say that the engine will be good for 7# to 9# and you feel confident. Good luck. Some engines might be able to handle 9+# and some might destroy itself well before that. Alot has to do with the tune and the rest is a crap shoot on how close the rod strength meet or exceeeded spec.

To comment on the dual widebands. While this is a street machine, a dual wideband should be considered. There are 2 seperate banks and only 1 sensor, sonthing does not make sense to me there. I would want to know what each bank is doing. Your build and ultimately your money. I would take the advise from z350boy and that phat04350z to be safe and monitor each bank seperetly

EDIT: Wish you alot of luck and future enjoyment with your car. So you are not doing the build up yourself?

Quick Reply: Robert_K's JWT TT Build Thread