Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Robert_K's JWT TT Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

silversurfer03, I mean Phat04350z & damojo2003... lets count down until this user name is banned....
Old 01-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer03
To say that the engine will be good for 7# to 9# and you feel confident. Good luck. Some engines might be able to handle 9+# and some might destroy itself well before that. Alot has to do with the tune and the rest is a crap shoot on how close the rod strength meet or exceeeded spec.

To comment on the dual widebands. While this is a street machine, a dual wideband should be considered. There are 2 seperate banks and only 1 sensor, sonthing does not make sense to me there. I would want to know what each bank is doing. Your build and ultimately your money. I would take the advise from z350boy and that phat04350z to be safe and monitor each bank seperetly

EDIT: Wish you alot of luck and future enjoyment with your car. So you are not doing the build up yourself?
Many "dual bank" cars have ran one wideband w/o any problems. If you, or anyone else, want to run two they knock yourself out. And I hope you do realize that z350boy and phat04350z were the same person and have been banned cause of his/her idiocry.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Many "dual bank" cars have ran one wideband w/o any problems. If you, or anyone else, want to run two they knock yourself out. And I hope you do realize that z350boy and phat04350z were the same person and have been banned cause of his/her idiocry.
he is phat04350z
Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 AM
SilverSurfer03
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
silversurfer03, I mean Phat04350z & damojo2003... lets count down until this user name is banned....
HUH???
Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z

Funny I was thinking the same while reading that post.

Looks everyone... This is my build. I've done a lot of research and have received a lot of help. the built motor has been covered. I'm not going to build my motor and IS NOT needed for a low boost build. I've discuss it with several vendors & owners, and I think someone's mother. This thread is turning into a "Well I like this, so you should've done it my way." No! I'll listen to TRUE recommendations.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by dave079
Dont be stupid. An ip check isn't very difficult. Enjoy yet another ban.
That a true PWNED!

The thread got so slow I thought it was locked for a second.

Oh Zivman: The countdown also reminds me of how close I am from seeing my wife again. Don't know if you served or not but if you haven't try living 18+ hour flight away from your family & friends, surrounded by idiots. All I have is my wife, family and looking forward to driving my car with my wife to keep me going over here. So if a countdown is pathetic, than so be it my pathetic way to keep my head up in a pathetic country. [/end]

Back to the build.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

That a true PWNED!

The thread got so slow I thought it was locked for a second.

Oh Zivman: The countdown also reminds me of how close I am from seeing my wife again. Don't know if you served or not but if you haven't try living 18+ hour flight away from your family & friends, surrounded by idiots. All I have is my wife, family and looking forward to driving my car with my wife to keep me going over here. So if a countdown is pathetic, than so be it my pathetic way to keep my head up in a pathetic country. [/end]

Back to the build.
I have not served, but IMHO that is your job and you made a choice. I have a job that keeps me away from my family as well and that is my choice. I respect what you guys are doing and be safe.

I wish you luck on the build
Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI: My screen tag is Z350boy. I AM NOT using a decoy name. I have had this tag for more than TWO YEARS (check my profile). I merely posted in an effort to contribute to the thread in a positive way, especially as Robert_K and I have very similar set-ups. As I stated I am very surprised at the hostility in this thread towards the idea of dual A/F gauges. Knowing that a stock block is running boost it is critical in my opinion to have real time information that can help prevent an over boost situation leading to a blown engine. With the expense involved in a rebuild I feel the cost of duals A/F's is reasonable. I cannot and will not force the issue upon anyone. All I can do is present information for others to consider.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by z350boy
FYI: My screen tag is Z350boy. I AM NOT using a decoy name. I have had this tag for more than TWO YEARS (check my profile). I merely posted in an effort to contribute to the thread in a positive way, especially as Robert_K and I have very similar set-ups. As I stated I am very surprised at the hostility in this thread towards the idea of dual A/F gauges. Knowing that a stock block is running boost it is critical in my opinion to have real time information that can help prevent an over boost situation leading to a blown engine. With the expense involved in a rebuild I feel the cost of duals A/F's is reasonable. I cannot and will not force the issue upon anyone. All I can do is present information for others to consider.
My bads! I apologize. However, I still don't think you need two widebands. [/end]

Next discussion...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:21 PM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny I was thinking the same while reading that post.

Looks everyone... This is my build. I've done a lot of research and have received a lot of help. the built motor has been covered. I'm not going to build my motor and IS NOT needed for a low boost build. I've discuss it with several vendors & owners, and I think someone's mother. This thread is turning into a "Well I like this, so you should've done it my way." No! I'll listen to TRUE recommendations.
I think you have misunderstood some of the posts in this thread. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you how to do your build. Like you I spent countless hours researching on the internet and speaking to vendors, builders and fellow enthusiasts. If you are really open to hearing "true recommendations" then it behooves you to keep an open mind. In my situation I may have different priorities & concerns. Example; I am in the process of adding coolers for oil, tranny & diff. Is it overkill for the street??? Probably. Why do it then?? Because of the importance I attach to it. In regards to the a/f issue I am very worried about blowing my engine, so I intend to overbuild in this area. I see this as preventative medicine. You do not seem to feel it is important and that is fine. At least consider something before you reject it out of hand.

BTW: Good luck with your build!! My 2c
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Default JWT 700BB kit?!?!

OK... Have a situation...

Originally Posted by MAC Autosport
Robert,
The latest from JWT is that there might be a considerable wait for
the 530 turbos, but that they can ship the kit with the 700 turbos. I just wanted to make sure that you are on-board with this, and I can get the kit shipped tomorrow, which will give us the time needed to complete the IC coating.

I had a lenghtly conversation with Nick about the prospect of using
the 700 turbos instead of the 530s. To explain, the 530s are the
Garrett GT2554R which make full boost on the VQ35 (6.5psi) in 4th
gear at about 2800 rpm. The 700s are the Garrett GT2860RS which make
full boost about 300 rpm later (still VERY low rpm). His opinion is
that you will get more midrange (especially with that Cosworth Intake
plenum, which is a better match to the 700s than the 530s), and
better top end (which MAC will control by proper UTEC tuning). We
still keep the boost pressure very low to get the safe power level we
discussed (420-430RWHP). Really don't see ANY downside, but we want
your approval before we tell them to ship.

Please let me know, or call during business hours to discuss. Really
don't mean to throw a wrench at all, this is just an alternative that
is worth more to you - lucky you.

Bill
Think I'm gonna do it!

Last edited by Robert_K; 01-22-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Only thing I would be concerned about: I *think* the wastegates on the 700BB's are set to 11 PSI, which would mean the minimum boost you would be running is 11 PSI...too much for a stock, non built engine. I might be wrong on this, though.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Only thing I would be concerned about: I *think* the wastegates on the 700BB's are set to 11 PSI, which would mean the minimum boost you would be running is 11 PSI...too much for a stock, non built engine. I might be wrong on this, though.
This is my concern also. Well this seems like a great situation, it might mean investing into building the motor. Which isn't a 'bad' thing but a cost that I didn't plan for some time.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
ibkarlito

This is my concern also. Well this seems like a great situation, it might mean investing into building the motor. Which isn't a 'bad' thing but a cost that I didn't plan for some time.
hey bro -

your going to end up building the motor anyways....so take the plunge and go for the build!

Those 700bb are awesome - I guarantee. I'm sure if you speak to Jim Wolf you can request different waste gate springs depending on your comfort level - worth a shot.

Good luck bro!

Karl
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by ibkarlito
hey bro -

your going to end up building the motor anyways....so take the plunge and go for the build!

Those 700bb are awesome - I guarantee. I'm sure if you speak to Jim Wolf you can request different waste gate springs depending on your comfort level - worth a shot.

Good luck bro!

Karl
I would not recomend running the 700BB kit on the stock motor, for many reasons. You will not be able to harness or use the power that these turbos will want to make with your stock motors limitations and even if you do change the WG springs to something that will open with less psi, you will still be in the same lag range as a single turbo system.

If you are going to build the motor, you CAN NOT go wrong with the JWT 700BB kit, but with the stock motors limitations, you can't go wrong with the 530BB kit. I have seen both kits on the stock motor. You will be shooting yourself in the foot going with the 700BB kit with your stock motor.... trust me.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Key fact & question...

1) I DO want to build the motor in the future
2) Will I have any concerns blowing my stock motor with the 700's?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:09 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If money is not a factor...Do it. You will appreciate all of the hard work you put into the car. And the car's performance will be a reward in itself.
At least I hope so...I'm still finishing mine. But with all of the $$$ i dumped into mine, it owes me...A lot! LOL
Old 01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

I went ahead with the 700 kit. Called different vendors, including JWT and the turbos make full spool around 3k-3500. So I don't know where this lag comes into play? Those mentioning lag must have very owned an Evo. That didn't make spool till around 4k and was a 2.0l till they did spool. Think the VQ will offset this 'lag.'

Quick Reply: Robert_K's JWT TT Build Thread