Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

So i am thinking of upping the boost! (doh)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Good tune or not, you will be exerting more stress on the rods (obviously a better tune will minimize this increase). You may have a "lucky" set of rods, but you're running them over spec already. You are shortening their lifespan -no way to know by how much exactly... Some people get away with tens of thousands of miles, others just hundreds at xxx whp. Metal fatigue is a stochastic process and is cumulative. In other words, it is unpredictable, and stress incurred at high boost is not reversible by turning the boost back down. A rod might let go at low boost at virtually no load if it has finally reached its cumulative limit of stress it can handle.

Sharif's recommendation to only occasionally bump up the boost when "needed" is a great way to minimize the chance of failure if you decide to go for it. Good luck.

i really don't believe in having a "lucky" set of rods (Just my opinion). I think that by taking all necessary percautions and barring any freak occurences all stock vq35 rods should last the same time(Afterall they are all made of the same material and have the same grain structure).

I do agree though that minimizing the amount of time spent at this higher boost level would dictate how long they will last.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way 450whp on Sharif's DD Is going to be a significant amount of stress on the stock rods and I think its like RCDash said, its just a matter of time before all that stress causes them to fail.