Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Super Shops Automotive Performance Center = former VRT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Shops Automotive Performance Center = former VRT

Everyone knows what a fine business VRT was. Well, looks like they changed their name (new ownership), since I got an email from "Super Shops Automotive Performance Center", advertising G35 and 350Z coilovers. The key is that the email was sent to an address that I only used for VRT. Oh, and "Super Shops Automotive Performance Center" has a 619 area code (San Diego area)

So, who knows whether "Super Shops Automotive Performance Center" will be doing the same shenagins as VRT did, but either way, I'd stay away from them

This Public Service Announcement was brought to you by Dave 90TT
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Note: It is possible that VRT (or whoever acquired VRT's assets) just sold their email list.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM
GalvatronType_R

As a test, you should email back warning them about VRT and telling them that the more they use VRT's old email list, the more suspicious their potential customers will be that they're just VRT with a cheap paint job.

Their reply to you should tip off whether it's VRT or somebody who bought their list.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:09 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Super Shops" used to be the name of a national hot rod shop chain. They were like a mini summit racing, but they had stores all over the country. Super Shops disappeared in the late 90s though.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

I read the webpage, and it looks like Super Shops, as a chain, closed in '97. Now, however, it appears that you can purchase a franchise. So, most likely, the new owners of VRT purchased the franchise rights, partly to get away from the VRT stigma. Just my guess, though.

I will continue to purchase from the reliable, good vendors who don't have a proven track record of screwing customers.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

From their website:

Super Shops® was originally started in the 1960's by an automotive racing enthusiast, Harry Eberlin. The quality and price of the products, in addition to the stellar service, caused the business to grow very rapidly. Eventually, there were Super Shops® Automotive Performance Centers nation-wide catering to the auto enthusiast.

Soon, Super Shops® sponsored racing events and even had their own NHRA dragster and funny car. People would flock to the stores. Every popular radio station in town would be running a Super Shops® ad nearly every hour. These ads were intense and fast, reflecting on the racing theme.
They were very successful throughout the 1970's, the 1980's and the early 1990's, with up to 165 stores nation wide. Eventually, that success started to wain, for a variety of different reasons, and the once great chain went into retirement in 1997.
For a short while, that was the end of Super Shops® and the glory days. That is, until a new visionary (and former customer) came along and reincorporated the name and renewed the trademarks and started, nearly from scratch, and brought back to life the company name every auto enthusiast remembers fondly. His goal was, and is, to return Super Shops® back to the original glory of the old days, and so far the company is well on its way.

Super Shops® had a loyal group of employees that made great sacrifices for the company and were left alone and "hanging" perhaps feeling let down and maybe even double-crossed for their loyalty, when the original company went out of business. Many stories circulated as to why this happened, some may be true, some may be pure conjecture. However, as the new Super Shops®, we salute these hard and loyal workers and offer them a chance to become part of this new Super Shops® and be able to know they are and were appreciated. We have given them an on-line place to gather and to discuss the old days, and even to express new ideas. We also extend to them the opportunity for them to own their own Super Shops® store and run it the way they feel is best.
In the old days Super Shops® was strictly a corporate run entity with every performance center under the ownership and control of the corporation. Today, however, that is not to be so. Franchising makes it easier for the average Joe/Jane (or former VRT owners) who wants to start their own company in their neighborhood, can do so. Super Shops® is a widely known name and is still well respected despite it's brief vacation. Name recognition is important for a business, and anyone starting up a business knows that can be the hardest part of starting a business. The hard part is already taken care of.
Right now is the best time to enter into a franchise agreement. We are offering a very easy "get you started" two year agreement. Contact us for more info
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
FrickU

Super Shops, Was a simple performance parts center or store. I know what and who they are. They are not the same people. I long ago when I first got my G bought parts from there before. I believe an injen CAI and some eibach pro-kit springs. Just FYI. Until true facts come up, don't bash.

Add- I knew the owner and operator of Super Shops, and he is not Mr. A nor knows who he is.

Last edited by FrickU; 02-06-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Originally Posted by FrickU
Super Shops, Was a simple performance parts center or store. I know what and who they are. They are not the same people. I long ago when I first got my G bought parts from there before. I believe an injen CAI and some eibach pro-kit springs. Just FYI. Until true facts come up, don't bash.

Add- I knew the owner and operator of Super Shops, and he is not Mr. A nor knows who he is.
Are you talking about Super Shops 10 years ago, or Super Shops now?

My reasoning is based on this true fact: I got an email from Super Shops, and it was sent to an email address that I have only ever used in correspondence with VRT. I have NEVER gotten email to that address that was not from VRT, until now, when I got the email from Super Shops. Thus, Super Shops is either a reformed/purchased VRT, or they purchased VRT's mailing list. Given that, according to their website, the corporate HQ for Super Shops is located in El Cajon, CA (the former home of VRT), I'm inclined to put two and two together and get VRT.

Those are true facts (excepting my supposition), so please don't give me crap about bashing or not.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM
vqturbotec

Mike and kristene K(new owners)are friends of the owner of supershops in el cajon california.

If they are selling the vrt suspension(aka STD coilovers)i'm sure its just a favor to help recoup some of the money MR.A ***'d them for.

So why did WA2GOOD get banned.Anyways later chris
Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
FrickU

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Are you talking about Super Shops 10 years ago, or Super Shops now?

My reasoning is based on this true fact: I got an email from Super Shops, and it was sent to an email address that I have only ever used in correspondence with VRT. I have NEVER gotten email to that address that was not from VRT, until now, when I got the email from Super Shops. Thus, Super Shops is either a reformed/purchased VRT, or they purchased VRT's mailing list. Given that, according to their website, the corporate HQ for Super Shops is located in El Cajon, CA (the former home of VRT), I'm inclined to put two and two together and get VRT.

Those are true facts (excepting my supposition), so please don't give me crap about bashing or not.
Well My G35 was an 04 that I bought in 05 so it is the present Super Shops. Well I believed that you and everyone on this board knew that VRT isn't ran or owned by the same person anymore. You are inclined to put the two and two together, but you shouldn't make a thread saying they are VRT/ or Former VRT if you DON'T know. Thats all i'm saying.

P.S. Vqturbotech-Im not sure to be completely honest with you...
Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
My reasoning is based on this true fact: I got an email from Super Shops, and it was sent to an email address that I have only ever used in correspondence with VRT.
I got the same email, but never emailed VRT. I figured this site sold my address.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
jwttz

I got the same e-mail too. Those are the exact coilovers that vrt had. There Is a thread some where on this board to prove that.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM
MOTOWIPEOUT Z

I got an e-mail about coilovers from them yesterday. I was wondering how they got my e-mail. Before the whole VRT thing got busted wide open I sent them an e-mail about a engine build and TT install, even talked to the infamous Mr. A himself (he seemed like a nice guy over the phone).
Old 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Dave.. thanks for the info..

i'm not listening to anything FrickU or vqturbotec says because they were former VRT employees..

i don't understand why the owners of a new company woudl buy the contact list of a company with negative following..

i'm with Dave on this one.. something is definately up
Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Zridder19

uh oh
Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
FrickU

Originally Posted by MOTOWIPEOUT Z
I got an e-mail about coilovers from them yesterday. I was wondering how they got my e-mail. Before the whole VRT thing got busted wide open I sent them an e-mail about a engine build and TT install, even talked to the infamous Mr. A himself (he seemed like a nice guy over the phone).
Very Manipulative.

And Doug. I very much despise Mr.A for all the crap he pulled with me and the stuff he ended up doing after I left. I'm just giving everyone my .02 because I actually know who, what, and where Super Shops is. I bought parts from them and had a friend from High School that used to work there. I just think that its really unfair to bash on the new owners of VRT or whatever it is now, because quite frankly Mr. A probably srewed them in a way. And they are NOT Super Shops. And by me being a former employee probably means I KNOW a lot more than you. But take my words or don't. I don't care, I just don't want to see them get bashed.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't it pretty easy to find out who owns a company? or website?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
FrickU

Originally Posted by Motormouth
isn't it pretty easy to find out who owns a company? or website?
I believe so... Nice sig by the way lol
Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and I juuust removed it. thanks though. (bad timing on my part, lol)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Nforce1

I got the same email. As soon as I opened it, my first thought was VRT. I never get emails from automotive supplies or anything like that, except from VRT.

Notice the Email Address that sent me the email

Email Recieved:

Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:34 AM
To: nforce1
Subject: Attention G35 and 350Z owners

Super Shops Automotive Performance Center

Super Shops announcing GZ-24 Coilovers for G35 and 350Z only

This fully-adjustable monotube gas shock absorbers offer a selection of 24 precise compression and rebound settings, from confort to competition. Stiffness adjustability is able to be done with the suspension still on the car, by twisting the adjuster **** to the desired detent. The front and rear progressive rate springs allow accurate adjustment of the vehicle ride height and center of gravity for the level of performance you seek.

PRICE: $2295.00 + tax and shipping
Orders recieved by 2-20-08 will get a 10% discount plus shipping.

WE HAVE A LIMITED SUPPLY SO ACT NOW BEFORE THEY ARE GONE FOREVER!

Check us out at www.supershopsracing.com for all other G35 and 350Z install or parts.

Super Shops
Sales Department
619-562-4339 or 866-39-SUPER

Forward email

This email was sent to nforce1@xxxxx.com, by kristene71@***.net
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

Super Shops | 723 East Bradley Avenue | El Cajon | CA | 92021

Quick Reply: Super Shops Automotive Performance Center = former VRT