Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil pan spacer plus vortech

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This has been discussed a 1000 times. Let the oil dump as God intended it to dump....free of any possible interferences.

Would you take a crap sitting on a piece of plywood ?

Why tempt fate ?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
wow. I never knew that my turbos had a pressurized oil return system.

you'll be fine using an oil spacer and returning the oil back into the pan that way! I've had no troubles with it on either a TN ST kit or on my current Greddy TT kit. both setups use gravity drain setups........just like a vortech!
sorry for the assumption on the turbo systems oil returns . but i thought most turbo system oil returns used some sort of scavange pump system. dosen't the aps single turbo kit have this setup? and at times the pump has failed causing the oil seals in the turbo to let go ( reported oil burning out of the tail pipe ).also with the greddy twin turbo kit ins't there a oil return restrictor or check vale that has to be installed on the return side? could somebody elaborate on this.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Eazzy

Pressurized oil from the engine pump system feeds the unit, then that oil is allowed to gravity feed back to the crankcase. A lot of different things happen in a crankcase under varying conditions that may or may not have an effect on that oil returning if it is doing so below the oil level. The faster the oil can lube the bearings and return to the crankcase, the cooler that oil will be.

The route of least resistence is as a rule the best route----This relates to sytems with that design
Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
JET MECH

did some research and yes the aps single turbo system dose have the scavage pump assembly. this would also be because the turbo charger is mounted at the same level/plane as the oil pan. with most other turbo and supercharger systems there is a differential in height between the turbo/supercharger and oil level in the which is allowing the gravity affect. But as Eazzzzzzy stated, the path of least resistance is the optimal route. when i was running my oil return back to my oil pan spacer ( below the oil level in the crank case ) there were problems i had problems that some people may not recognize right away, they are as listed below.

supercharger ran hotter, way hotter! attributed to the oil was not returning to the crankcase fast enough from the supercharger which in turn was causing the oil to back up in the supercharger gearbox. this was causing a lot of parasitic drag inside the supercharger due to the gears having to turn in a bath of oil (hot oil). it was causing higher drag on the engine to turn the supercharger and i was also having more than the average serp belt slipping issues. due to the additonal drag coming from the supercharger overall performance suffered. also s/c discharge air temps were high causing performance to suffer. now that i have installed a plug in the spacer and installed the oil return as vortech has instructed.the supercharger operated cooler,way cooler!, the aggravated belt slip issues have gone away, the supercharger has performed better, and did not note any more oil weaping out of the superchager matting surfaces or shaft seal.

personally the only reason i think the pan spacer works with returning the oil below the oil level in the crank case is due to motive flow that is being cause by the oil pick up tube/screen in the oil pan. the pickup itself is located close enough to the oil return fitting in the pan spacer that it would attribute to a motive flow or suction effect. even though it is not the path of least resistance or the most efficent way it appears to be working enough. just my two cents,

Last edited by JET MECH; 02-10-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Eazzy

And if Im not mistaken, the Stillins run an isolated system. TN offers its "wet Brg" design to help cool the oil.

I have never heard of VT S/Cs haveing a big prob with fried (underlubed) brgs, but I see no reason that the feed oil couldnt easily be routed to an oil cooler before it hits the Carrier.

VT has been known to be a little careless with quality control and customer service, but that isnt a large issue. Just an occasional inconvenience.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
JET MECH

Just got a call from Sam he is starting my tune right now. he just recived a call from Jeremey at performance factory. things do not appear to be going to well for jksstar over there on the Si-trim tune! Sam would not give me details. let's wait and see........