Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Haltech over 18psi???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Haltech over 18psi???

I would like (if possible) some feed back from forum members that are running the Haltech EM on high boost, with at least 5K miles on thier built motors.
I know the Haltech promises all the cool features the FCON has, but I would like to hear from the owners them selfs. On the following issues.

1. Start up and idle?
2. smoothness at part throttle (i.e no jerky, rubber band effect at low throttle)
3. any other issues you have expiernced with your Haltech.

If you drive your car a low psi level thats cool but I want to hear from the guys that have 18 or over psi tune by the Haltech. I wan tto hear from member that "drive" thier cars hard. I am really considering this EM for my next project. If you have a car that makes 700 or 1000 HP but you only have a couple miles or 5 or 10 pass down the 1340, I really dont want to hear from you.

Forcedfed I belive fits the caliber of car I am looking for replies.

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 03-06-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 AM
bldrz

eagletanggreen, I know we don't apply directly to your thread currently because we haven't had any seat time in our Z yet. It is snowing out, but our Z was much smoother on the dyno with the haltech. Start up is fine and idle is good. This spring I know kevin will have alot of seat time in his Z both on the street and at the dragstrip and road course. Unfortunately out here in colorado Z time is tough this time of year. Depending on your timeline for the haltech we may be able to give you better real world feedback later in the year. Best of luck, Jason
Old 03-06-2008, 10:24 AM
ForcefedZ

I can't speak for the FCON, but I'm sure it is a quality unit as most of HKS's components always have been. However I can say regardless of the what EMS is use, the tuning is the most critical part (beside proper installation/configration)

The Haltech for the 350Z has frustrated me at time. It was mostly due to the lack of time I had to sort out my tuning and learn the software. I receive my unit early on, so the base maps to start off of were limited.

Once you learn the software the unit works great. I just had my the car on the dyno yesterday, I'm up to 198 recorded dyno pulls (3 different EMS's same engine) and it's making 620RWP@17psi on just 93 octane

1. Start up and idle?

The start up is great and is easy to adjust if required.

The idle can be tricky to sort out depending on your setup. I previously had a really hard time trying to get it stable and not have an excessively AFR. The problem with my car was a combination of large injectors, upgraded camshafts, and the ECU trying to target the idle rpm for a stock car. Just raising the stock target Idle RPM will work wonders. My car finally idles very well, so it can be done.

2. smoothness at part throttle (i.e no jerky, rubber band effect at low throttle)

All of this can be made to perform as stock. If you're getting that bucking at light loads, check your ignition map and VVT map. Being too advanced on either will cause this.

3. any other issues you have experienced with your Haltech.

Nothing really, except sometimes if I disconnect the cable from the ECU with the software still running my laptop freaks out and opens a million new windows trying to reconnect. Overall I'm very happy with the unit.

I'm planning on going to the track next weekend to see if I can dip into the 10's on just 93 octane and 275 Pilot Sports. It should be an interesting ice skate down the track, but I think it'll do it.

BTW, when you run the 1340 are you launching before the water box?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ
I can't speak for the FCON, but I'm sure it is a quality unit as most of HKS's components always have been. However I can say regardless of the what EMS is use, the tuning is the most critical part (beside proper installation/configration)

The Haltech for the 350Z has frustrated me at time. It was mostly due to the lack of time I had to sort out my tuning and learn the software. I receive my unit early on, so the base maps to start off of were limited.

Once you learn the software the unit works great. I just had my the car on the dyno yesterday, I'm up to 198 recorded dyno pulls (3 different EMS's same engine) and it's making 620RWP@17psi on just 93 octane

1. Start up and idle?

The start up is great and is easy to adjust if required.

The idle can be tricky to sort out depending on your setup. I previously had a really hard time trying to get it stable and not have an excessively AFR. The problem with my car was a combination of large injectors, upgraded camshafts, and the ECU trying to target the idle rpm for a stock car. Just raising the stock target Idle RPM will work wonders. My car finally idles very well, so it can be done.

All of this can be made to perform as stock. If you're getting that bucking at light loads, check your ignition map and VVT map. Being too advanced on either will cause this.

3. any other issues you have experienced with your Haltech.

Nothing really, except sometimes if I disconnect the cable from the ECU with the software still running my laptop freaks out and opens a million new windows trying to reconnect. Overall I'm very happy with the unit.

I'm planning on going to the track next weekend to see if I can dip into the 10's on just 93 octane and 275 Pilot Sports. It should be an interesting ice skate down the track, but I think it'll do it.

Thanks so much for the review. The Fcon is a wonderfull piece of equipment, I have no issues with FCON, but little thing like the 2 step that I just notced that need to be raised a bit, is going to cost me a 12hr drive to get it ajdusted. I have also been PM'ed about the ALTRONIC EM and know of a member that has it working in ways I could only dream the FCON to work. I am awaiting cost on that unit.

As far as the 1340 I run 275/35/19 BFG DR's cuz of my BBK, thats all that will fit. I start my burn out in the water pit and by the time I transition my foot to the break I am out and stop the car and finish the burn out

Like this---I got to say that is a sexy burn out! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2eMHMpRSck

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 03-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by bldrz
eagletanggreen, I know we don't apply directly to your thread currently because we haven't had any seat time in our Z yet. It is snowing out, but our Z was much smoother on the dyno with the haltech. Start up is fine and idle is good. This spring I know kevin will have alot of seat time in his Z both on the street and at the dragstrip and road course. Unfortunately out here in colorado Z time is tough this time of year. Depending on your timeline for the haltech we may be able to give you better real world feedback later in the year. Best of luck, Jason

Jason thanks so much for taking the time to give your . If you have other input that you would rather not post about please send me a PM.

I have been throwing around the idea of starting from scratch, if I run 10's this weekend, and selling the car . New 350z different setup?

Luie

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 03-06-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Thanks so much for the review. The Fcon is a wonderfull piece of equipment, I have no issues with FCON, but little thing like the 2 step that I just notced that need to be raised a bit, is going to cost me a 12hr drive to get it ajdusted. I have also been PM'ed about the ALTRONIC EM and know of a member that has it working in ways I could only dream the FCON to work. I am awaiting cost on that unit.

As far as the 1340 I run 275/35/19 BFG DR's cuz of my BBK, thats all that will fit. I start my burn out in the water pit and by the time I transition my foot to the break I am out and stop the car and finish the burn out

Like this---I got to say that is a sexy burn out! -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2eMHMpRSck
Did you mean Autronic..? I'm running the SM4 on my Subi, and it's very bada$$ - The Autronic is a step above the Haltech/VPro and a step down from the Motec, definitely a quality system!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
ForcefedZ

1/4 mile = 1320'
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Philthy
Did you mean Autronic..? I'm running the SM4 on my Subi, and it's very bada$$ - The Autronic is a step above the Haltech/VPro and a step down from the Motec, definitely a quality system!

Yeah that what I meant just went for a 8 mile run a little out of it .

Autronic! I am going to get a price on this very soon, but this guy has some incredible features working on his Z.

1320' is what I meant
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
jimmyloose

Buy my Z and start over!

https://my350z.com/forum/zs-and-gs-for-sale/336884-fs-2003-base-silverstone-few-mods-17-500-a.html
Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
bldrz

Luie, We are very happy with the limited time we have with the haltech. Hal over at injected is great with customer/vendor support. I am very anxious to do some more tuning and get a chance to datalog at the dragstrip. Between our track time and Kevin, a friend and customer of ours, we should be able to answer the questions you asked. I am sure as the weather warms up more people will have feedback for your post. It just depends how quickly you are thinking of making a change. Post up results after your weekend at the track and have fun. Jason
Old 03-06-2008, 11:32 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are looking for a new EM, I can let you know about my experience with the ProEFI once it is installed. I am looking at about 2-3 weeks to rebuild my engine with the TT and to tune it. Right now, I'm still breaking in the new motor. It will start at low boost and depending on how that works out, it will definitely go up from there.
I'll let you know when its up and running.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't forget the PITA factor that goes along with the flexibility and features though (for both Autronic and Motec). The biggest issue I found when I was researching EMS systems last summer is the lack of support here in the USA for the Autronic. Support and ease of use means more (to me, as an enthusiast) than a long feature list that I'll never know how to implement...

Maybe I missed something though - anyone got any interesting links for the Autronic?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

There's a TON of support for both the Motec and Autronic... The HMI for both systems is kicka$$, and I have not met a competent tuner that doesn't love the Motec and Autronic systems!

http://www.autronicforums.com/

http://www.autronic.com.au/

Last edited by Philthy; 03-06-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Human machine interface? As in the GUI is intuitive I take it. There is so little information available to non-dealers. Do you tinker with your subie setup? (Do end user licenses permit that?)

EDIT: Luie if this is too o/t I can delete posts and take it to PM with Philthy - 1st person with hands on Autronic use so very interested to hear about it...

EDIT2: Thanks for the links Philthy. Looks like there are 4 USA dealers now in VA, OH, NY, and PA. (East coast FTW ) and the software features look very nice (gotta look into that "auto-tune" - cool!).

Last edited by rcdash; 03-06-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by rcdash
Human machine interface? As in the GUI is intuitive I take it. There is so little information available to non-dealers. Do you tinker with your subie setup? (Do end user licenses permit that?)

EDIT: Luie if this is too o/t I can delete posts and take it to PM with Philthy - 1st person with hands on Autronic use so very interested to hear about it...
HMI, GUI, MMI, OCI, etc whatever, same difference...

You can download the software and play with it - they have simulators and pre-loaded data so you can tinker...
Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by rcdash

EDIT2: Thanks for the links Philthy. Looks like there are 4 USA dealers now in VA, OH, NY, and PA. (East coast FTW ) and the software features look very nice (gotta look into that "auto-tune" - cool!).

Not at all please continue!

I was PM'ed by the forum member today about the Autronic, and he has offered to let me drive his car to see for my self. I would love to post what features is working on his Z, but I will let him and his tuner post when they feel the need too. ALL I will say its a dream come true (for Me).
Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Driven1
Professional

Do NOT get the 1.09 chip yet for the SM-4. Still needs some final touches imo.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcefedZ

I don't think he got the "1340" joke.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM
kevinapex

Luie! I don't have a lot of road time with the Haltech as of yet. I came off the Utec,with tune after tune trying to work out bugs, some you addressed the hard starts, abrupt on/off throttle transitions, partial throttle jerkiness it had all of these.
The first 1/mile of driving after the Haltech tune, was a night and day difference from Utec. no cranking the hell out of it on hot starts, 0 to 100% throttle is linear and smooth. I can run run up 20+psi, let off to 50% no juking lunging. It feels smooth as stock (with 700+)!
IP, Hal is outstanding always willing to help, he has hands on with the future of the product as far as updates, oh ya a new update just released!
I can't speak for any other management, but the I'm all for the Haltech.
Kevin
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I don't think he got the "1340" joke.

Sorry guys I did miss it LMAO!

I got it now

Keven thanks for your input. So as of now your ride is running pimp..Right?

Quick Reply: Haltech over 18psi???