Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Car struggles >tech gurus come in<

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Gsouske35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car struggles >tech gurus come in<

I just recently got done installng the JWT TT kit on my car. I double check everything and make sure everything is the way it should be. Got the utec installed and its running the base map for the APS TT kit with 550cc set up.
I have 500cc injectors along with 255lph walbro fuel pump.

Ok good, everything is good. I turn the key and the car starts up to about 2k rpms then dies out. Ok hmm. Did some troubleshooting and still clueless. Went ahead and started the car with the intake piping off. Viola, it idles like a champ(1k rpm), but soon as I give it gas it dies out again.

By the way at some point we were able to have the car idle for a few minutes with the intake piping on with a turbonetics base map. But didnt get past that. It idle only at 500ish rpm with that setup. We couldnt get it to do it again.

The only thing I can think of is my spark plugs are jacked up and its not creating enough combustion to force out of the exhaust side which is causing barely any air to get to the throttle body.

Any input or suggestions is appreiciated.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:32 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And you have the map sensor installed?
you loaded the parameters file as well?

the APS maps looks fine, so if its properly loaded with the params, the car should idle and take throttle fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Gsouske35

Originally Posted by str8dum1
And you have the map sensor installed?
you loaded the parameters file as well?

the APS maps looks fine, so if its properly loaded with the params, the car should idle and take throttle fine.

Map sensor is installed.

APS map and parameters loaded.

Car still starts up and dies.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Gsouske35

Anyone have the slighest idea?!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 AM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Gsouske35
Anyone have the slighest idea?!
1) Check any Plenum leaks.

2) Remove UTEC and install the ECM directly. Start engine.

3) Check/Clean your MAF sensor. Remove the plug and try to start the engine.

4) If 2/3 are succesfull then the problem most probably lies to UTEC.

5) Perform following operations according to the attached file as received from service manual. Time is imperative for iddle air learning and beware of the coolant temp.

6) Calibrate the "0" fuel column in UTEC, to lean the mixture. The car is riching thus it dies. You should calibrate the column to modify air fuel.

Hope to help U out.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
basic procedure.doc (26.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 AM
westpak
SFZCC

if all of those are ok it may just be too rich, the APS kit, even though you have similar injectors (not really APS are smaller) the APS kit has a fuel return and pressures will be different that your stock system with a bigger pump.

check the air fuels as you are doing this to see what they are doing.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had you guys looked at the APS map, its scaled -15 ish in column 0. Thats more than lean enough for the car to run properly.

If the APS does use a return system, have you checked your fuel pressure?

When you installed the fuel pump, what instructions did you follow?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM
gecof1

Some more to wonder about

1)With the intake piping off and without maf sensor the car iddles through the rear O2 sensor. ECM needs a feedback.

2)Do you use different cams? Cold start or hot start?

3)If the spark plugs are not fouled, and the gaps are set within limits, then you are fine. If there is much crancking, before actual ignition it maybe sparks are wet frrom gas thus no spark, but I dont expect to be this. During iddle the car is under vacuum. Engine is not expecting any positive pressure. Read also your boost gauge. It should be around -(7 to 8) PSI.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 AM
vqturbotec

to me it sounds like a boost pipe blew off.What testing have you done if any?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Yep You have a leak after the MAF most likely. JWT locates the MAF before the turbos. You will need to check every pipe to make sure that they are clamped properly. Also check to make sure the MAF is plugged in.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Gsouske35

Thank you for all the reponses. I have taken into consideration what all of you have said. Still no dice with everything hooked up the way it should be. I didnt get a chance to lean the fuel yet and then try to let it idle. The base APS TT map I have on it has set the "0%" coloumn at -17. I think I need to go much leaner then that, any suggestion on how lean I should get?

Some food for thought. I removed the intake tubing that comes from the intercooler and replaced it with a regular intake. I then went into my UTEC and changed my map to a Intake and exhaust map and as well as the parameters. The car idles like a champ and I drove it around today. So I know everything is connected and everything works fine with just a intake on it.

Now I just got to figure out how to make the turbo kit work as well with the intake tubing connected. Also, if any of you guys were to disconnect the intake tubing that goes to the throttle body and then put your hand over it, does your car die? Or does it just vent the pressure of through a BOV? Because If I cover the tubing with my hand, the car dies. Just want to know if thats normal.

Going to do some more troubleshooting tomorrow and see where I get. Thank you all for the feedback, keep them coming!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:45 PM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Gsouske35
Thank you for all the reponses. I have taken into consideration what all of you have said. Still no dice with everything hooked up the way it should be. I didnt get a chance to lean the fuel yet and then try to let it idle. The base APS TT map I have on it has set the "0%" coloumn at -17. I think I need to go much leaner then that, any suggestion on how lean I should get?

Some food for thought. I removed the intake tubing that comes from the intercooler and replaced it with a regular intake. I then went into my UTEC and changed my map to a Intake and exhaust map and as well as the parameters. The car idles like a champ and I drove it around today. So I know everything is connected and everything works fine with just a intake on it.

Now I just got to figure out how to make the turbo kit work as well with the intake tubing connected. Also, if any of you guys were to disconnect the intake tubing that goes to the throttle body and then put your hand over it, does your car die? Or does it just vent the pressure of through a BOV? Because If I cover the tubing with my hand, the car dies. Just want to know if thats normal.

Going to do some more troubleshooting tomorrow and see where I get. Thank you all for the feedback, keep them coming!
Do you have installed an AFR gauge?

There is not any issue with the 0 column. -17 is more than enough. U should not go less than that.

If you clog the throttle body by any means the engine is sufficating. U need air to have combustion. No BOV is connected between throttle body and plenum.

For me is deffinately a piping issue. Utec works. Where is the MAF sensor installed in your setup? Engine is not taking any air.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Gsouske35

Originally Posted by gecof1
Do you have installed an AFR gauge?

There is not any issue with the 0 column. -17 is more than enough. U should not go less than that.

If you clog the throttle body by any means the engine is sufficating. U need air to have combustion. No BOV is connected between throttle body and plenum.

For me is deffinately a piping issue. Utec works. Where is the MAF sensor installed in your setup? Engine is not taking any air.

My maf sensor is installed exactly where they have it in the JWT setup. My map sensor is tapped into that plenum nipple, should I use another source? Thats exactly my problem, my engine isnt accepting the air from the turbos at all. I am going to install the Air Fuel gauge today.