Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Valve body upgrade (transgo reprogramming kit)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 PM
crash and burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't upload them but if you send me your email, I will send you everything that you need as far as directions and diagrams. Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
i know where to purchase them. i'm just wondering what a good price for the install is. some transmission places are askiing about $600 for the job which can't seem right. maybe so though, i have no idea. that's what im asking.
as crash recommended, just diy. I will be, and you don't even need to drop the transmission or anything. You will need basic tool set and basic skills and new transmission fluid. It takes a while to do though, there is a write up on how to do it (maybe its even here on my350z) that walks you through it. Alongside the instructions you get you should be fine. 600$ sounds about right I think it takes basically a whole day to do so...
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, $600 isn't outrageous. Its a doable DIY project, but given the potential to mess something up, you may find it reassuring to have a shop install it in case there are any issues down the road (ATs are not cheap to service).
Old 08-25-2011, 10:47 PM
crash and burn

Originally Posted by - bigc -
Yeah, $600 isn't outrageous. Its a doable DIY project, but given the potential to mess something up, you may find it reassuring to have a shop install it in case there are any issues down the road (ATs are not cheap to service).
I doubt any shops are gonna cover damage to the trans unless your trans is broken while driving off of their lot. After that, your gonna get a whole lot of nothing in the way of warranty because it will "never be their fault."

I do agree though, if you want piece of mind and don't feel 100% comfortable wrenching, pay a REPUTABLE shop to do the install.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crash and burn
I doubt any shops are gonna cover damage to the trans unless your trans is broken while driving off of their lot. After that, your gonna get a whole lot of nothing in the way of warranty because it will "never be their fault."

I do agree though, if you want piece of mind and don't feel 100% comfortable wrenching, pay a REPUTABLE shop to do the install.
Sorry, I should have stated that you should use a real shop that actually cares about its reputation and customers. Either way, if you run into problems fairly soon, regardless of what the shop says, hold their feet to the fire.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Eno

Finally something I know about from experience!

I took mine to a "mister transmission" in Calgary and they ended up charging me about the same price. It took them something like 4 hours to do... but in the meantime they ended up taking a look at the stock tranny cooler and recommended that I upgrade it. A sound recommendation, if you ask me. They described how the stock tranny cooler looked and how it functioned- or would have difficulty keeping heat down... I don't recall it exactly but perhaps someone else could chime in (I'm a G, perhaps it's different).

Anyway, they ended up picking installing a tranny cooler for me as well... so it added to my end cost but it was well worth it.

More recently I underwent a substantial build (including an IPT tranny rebuild) and had someone from Monkey Nutz Racing in Vancouver take a look at the overall. They said the tranny cooler was on the small-ish side especially for something built and I ended up with a 11x11x1.5 or so size ATF cooler. The one Mister Transmission sold to me promptly became my steering cooler.

Where I'm going with this is if you DO get the transgo installed (600 sounds about right), take a HARD look at upgrading the cooling for your tranny in one go. You're going to love the transgo and what it can do for your shifting (best mod I ever did while NA) and I suspect you're going to be pulling the trigger more often because it's so damned fun. I expect your AT will need to withstand more abuse, and one of the best ways to prepare it for that will be to upgrade that stock cooling.