Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How to build a custom Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:16 AM
TrackPack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I totally agree with above, if your doing a custom kit because of cost then think again. for me I could have had 2 off the shelf kits by the time I was done with mine, but in the end I can say that everything from turbo setup to fuel system to exhaust to tuning was all done "in house" I couldnt be happier with the out come, to me the car is perfect because I built it to my specifications, if your as picky as me then maybe it is the proper rout.

Ive been meaning to update my thread since the car is done and daily driving but heres a teaser of the kit with a 3s stroker taking center stage.

Name:  Picture351.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  81.7 KB
Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM
BoostedProbe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are too many comments here that I have to disagree with.

My build: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...brication.html

All these guys saying that there is a carap load of R&D done with every kit for the VQ. Is there really? Why are so many having problems with the Greddy TT kits (like mentioned) Turbonetics is another one with more bad than good (from what I have seen here). I know of some JWT TT kits melting hoses/wires ect...

Cost is another thing. Here is a quick brakedown of my build:

Garret turbo/piping/IC/all couplers/T-bolt clamps/scavenge pump/stainless everything..ect, basically everything to get boost to the TB cost me about $2500.

I did my own fuel return system too, that was about $300.
Fuel return: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...cation-15.html

Haltech EMS was the most expensive thing I got. It was $2200 with the dual wideband controller.

Somebody ^^ up there mentioned that there are many "obsticles/problems" to over come. I would disagree with that too. If you have done your research and have planned everything properly there shouldn't be any problems. I did have one thing that I had overlooked. It had to do with turbo oil scavenging. I had to build a small reservoir under the turbo so that when the car is turned off the oil in the supply line and turbo has somewhere to go. Other than that everything is working flawlessly. Going on 3000miles now.

I bet nobody has ever seen a turbo in this location either:

Name:  S1031262.jpg
Views: 4498
Size:  74.1 KB
Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^
It is all subjective on what you want to do in regards to the amount of R&D that you have to do. I set forward with a bunch of things that made mine take more R&D than I needed if I just wanted to slap a turbo on my car. It all comes down to where you want to put it, what piping you want and how you want it to run and the turbo you want.

In my case, my exhaust piping to the turbo will be significantly shorter than most ST's are for the Z. I have more than enough room for my 4" downpipe which again is not something you don't see on most ST's for the Z. Plus I can upgrade the turbo to a larger turbo like the Powerlab kit with ease. Plus I have avoided snaking my piping as much as possible while keeping it as short as possible.

Ultimately, I think the catch in your statement is that you have to be able to visualize it and plan ahead. Like you I have not run into any things that caught me off guard yet. However, I was able to visualize it and I have a good level of knowledge about what is on the VQ35DE which made it much easier.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 AM
*Boose*

The reason I mentioned R&D is because you don't pull a well manufactured kit out your ***. You have to do something. But to keep this is the proper direction sure the Greddy has some problems, sure the Turbonetics has it's fair share of problems. But look at the more expensive more quality HKS kits or the APS kits. Sure they cost more but more has gone into building those kits.

And if there wasn't any R&D then why isn't there a swarm of TT kits for the 370Z? I bet in a few years after testing there will be.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by NoWin
The reason I mentioned R&D is because you don't pull a well manufactured kit out your ***. You have to do something. But to keep this is the proper direction sure the Greddy has some problems, sure the Turbonetics has it's fair share of problems. But look at the more expensive more quality HKS kits or the APS kits. Sure they cost more but more has gone into building those kits.

And if there wasn't any R&D then why isn't there a swarm of TT kits for the 370Z? I bet in a few years after testing there will be.
I think you are mistaking that time frame of tooling up and production leads for R&D.

There is R&D of course. GTM is a great example of a company that has very short lead times on their kits for the newer cars. However, it appears that GTM can do a ton of stuff in-house and afford to make 20 intercooler mounts and 20 sets of pipes for their release rather than a thousand in order to reduce cost. Big manufacturers have to tool up for making thousands though which is a whole different game. Designing manifolds and making pipes is not very hard for these companies given the tools, resources and expirence they have. Not to say they don't have to do R&D, its just that if a kit take two years to come to the market, it is most likely not because of the design aspect. It usually because of tooling up and lead times.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 AM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Quamen
^^
It is all subjective on what you want to do in regards to the amount of R&D that you have to do. I set forward with a bunch of things that made mine take more R&D than I needed if I just wanted to slap a turbo on my car. It all comes down to where you want to put it, what piping you want and how you want it to run and the turbo you want.

In my case, my exhaust piping to the turbo will be significantly shorter than most ST's are for the Z. I have more than enough room for my 4" downpipe which again is not something you don't see on most ST's for the Z. Plus I can upgrade the turbo to a larger turbo like the Powerlab kit with ease. Plus I have avoided snaking my piping as much as possible while keeping it as short as possible.

Ultimately, I think the catch in your statement is that you have to be able to visualize it and plan ahead. Like you I have not run into any things that caught me off guard yet. However, I was able to visualize it and I have a good level of knowledge about what is on the VQ35DE which made it much easier.
Your and my kit have things in common as far as ease of turbo uprading, down pipes..ect. I however didn't want to change things from stock too much. In fact, I didn't change anything under the hoood except fuel delivery. This was my objective, and I guess a part of R&D.

I spent as much time under the car planning as I did building/fabricating. So yes I agree with you on that one. I had zero turbo experience befor taking this project on, as a matter of fact I never even had a turbo in my hands untill the one for my project arrived. So I really jumped into this, and again it boils down to panning and research.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM
tony_t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now im stoked! I love seeing this diy builds. Quamen, I saw a pic of your build awhile back and it is beautiful. But I will agree with you though. If its about money then building your own may or may not be the thing for you. I really depends on your knowledge and available facilities. Im rather knowledgable and I have friends who really know there stuff. I also had a four post lift, tig & mig welders as well as a full on machine shop with top of the line cnc lathes and mills. Machining can get exspensive really fast. I lucked out and all my machining, it was all pretty much free. I guess i did give my friend my xbox360 for being cool and helping me. Many parts I got for free or cost because of who I know. Aside from the cost, the time is what gets yah. I spent 5 months to the day from when my car went in to when it rolled out. It was along time. It could be done a lot faster but I have a full time job, girls to please, gym time, and a life(albeit small) beyond my car.

Anyways happy fathers day to the fathers. I would love to post more this morning but I jus pulled the quad out, and the dunes are lookin prime. And I gotta go kick it with my pops and convince him to bring his out too 60 years old and he rips! lols

Oh yeah Boostedprobe: your name is kinda curious to me. my friend who helped me with build used to have a pretty cool probe. It was his first car and he did a full twin-turbo charged SHO motor swap into it. not my cup of tea but it was quite the feat.

Last edited by tony_t; 06-21-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by tony_t

Oh yeah Boostedprobe: your name is kinda curious to me. my friend who helped me with build used to have a pretty cool probe. It was his first car and he did a full twin-turbo charged SHO motor swap into it. not my cup of tea but it was quite the feat.
Ha ha, I did have a supercharged probe back in the day. I built my own supercharger kit for it, and it was a blast.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Quamen

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Ha ha, I did have a supercharged probe back in the day. I built my own supercharger kit for it, and it was a blast.
My friend has a tubbed Probe with a RWD conversion, 2JZ swap, Turbo400 trans, Ford 9" rear end and a four-link suspension. Lol at Probes. I can't tell you how many times we blew 3rd gear on that thing when it was a FWD ST V6.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:17 PM
BoostedProbe

Originally Posted by Quamen
My friend has a tubbed Probe with a RWD conversion, 2JZ swap, Turbo400 trans, Ford 9" rear end and a four-link suspension. Lol at Probes. I can't tell you how many times we blew 3rd gear on that thing when it was a FWD ST V6.
Are you talking about Matt Mass? This is the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1NEQeAfdSQ

Very impressive, and yes, the 3rd gear was/is a problem. I built a few supecharger kit for the KL, that is actually how I funded my Z turbo kit..lol
Old 06-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Asad_A203

Originally Posted by TrackPack
^ I totally agree with above, if your doing a custom kit because of cost then think again. for me I could have had 2 off the shelf kits by the time I was done with mine, but in the end I can say that everything from turbo setup to fuel system to exhaust to tuning was all done "in house" I couldnt be happier with the out come, to me the car is perfect because I built it to my specifications, if your as picky as me then maybe it is the proper rout.

Ive been meaning to update my thread since the car is done and daily driving but heres a teaser of the kit with a 3s stroker taking center stage.

Dammit, I want to see some runs .
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by BoostedProbe
Are you talking about Matt Mass? This is the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1NEQeAfdSQ

Very impressive, and yes, the 3rd gear was/is a problem. I built a few supecharger kit for the KL, that is actually how I funded my Z turbo kit..lol
Yes. Matt's Probe is sitting right behind me in the picture I took of my car with the turbo mounted. Just dropped a larger turbo in it last weekend and a 150 shot of nitrous. Also installed the parachute this year.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
rocks

Its funny how people think it is so hard and impossible to weld exhaust pipe. You can buy a 80 amp welder for like 150$ or less, its perfect for welding exhaust. You could go to wallmart and buy one or harbor frieght. I have done a few exhaust systems on my truck and some friends cars with my 80 amp camble hausfield. I bought it used for 50$. You can teach yourself how to mig weld with flux core for around 150$. Including a welder and some pipe to practice on.

Right now im working on my 280zx turbo. I am going weld a t4 flange onto the manifold and using some old *** turbo a t04b35 I got for free. Its from the 80s, but it will make around 300 hp at the wheels. For the intercooler I am using a top mount from a subaru mounted in the front haha. Its a ebay intercooler. I need to go to the junk yard and pull the computer and maf out of the 300zx turbo out there to wire it into the car.

When I am done with the 280zx it will be my daily driver, then I will turbo my 350z. I will use a Master Power t70 or a Holset hx40 with a 7 blade wheel. Home made fuel rails. Stock fuel pump, going into a surge tank with a inline fuel pump and regulator.

Last edited by rocks; 06-22-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats a great location for a 114mm turbo
Name:  Picture351.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  81.7 KB

Last edited by str8dum1; 06-22-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
bbs350z

[QUOTE=tony_t;7466358]just to clarify something... nothing on my car has anything to do with DIY ebay pieces of ****....

It was built around REAL gt28rs turbochargers. the intercooler is built from a griffin core. The manifolds are fabricated. the IC pipes are all fabricated from mandrel sections. My external wastegates, bypass valves and many other parts were manufactured about a 100 yards from the shop pictured in a large facility housing more CNC lathes and mills then I care to count. I built my RFS from AN fittings and lines from summit. The only part of the fuel system I have you cant purchase from summit is Phunks rails and part of the correction kit that goes in the fuel basket that replaces the factory regulator. That part we machined by hand taking measurements using a micrometer. All silicone couplers are high quality as well as t-bolt clamps. The exhaust is hand built from.. guess what? Exhaust pipe and magnaflow mufflers. works just like any $1000+ exhaust kit at a fraction of the price. It may not be as shiny but who gives a fack when my car sits so low you cant see it.

eye phuckin lyke yew. btw i built my rfs myself too. cost me roughly $1500 including the sp triple pump. out of curiosity, how much did you spend on your build, and what numbers are you putting out (also taking into consideration your maf isnt working properly)
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
tony_t

Originally Posted by bbs350z
eye phuckin lyke yew. btw i built my rfs myself too. cost me roughly $1500 including the sp triple pump. out of curiosity, how much did you spend on your build, and what numbers are you putting out (also taking into consideration your maf isnt working properly)
Ive spent total with short block with related components, headwork (3 angle valve grind, seals and surfacing),turbos and components, exhaust, gauges and shat, fuel system, clutch & flywheel roughly around $13-$14k. But I got a lot of good deals and spent an insane amount of man hours doing work myself. As far as numbers I am waiting to get my EMS and MAF issues dialed in. My tune I have on it was done with just a laptop and some seat time. I really dont drive it very hard at all. I am saving some money right now to pick up a haltech and go from there. Ill send you a pm with the link to my build.

ty
Tony
Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Very nice. And, still...IBTL

Last edited by ADMAN; 06-26-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 AM
Quamen

Teaser

Old 06-28-2009, 08:28 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats pretty sick. only possible on a track car with no accessories though.

How are you tying the front end together?

But that is the single that I wanna get though! Nice choice. Phunk is using a pair of those!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by str8dum1
thats pretty sick. only possible on a track car with no accessories though.

How are you tying the front end together?

But that is the single that I wanna get though! Nice choice. Phunk is using a pair of those!
I will be making a brace once I know where everything is in order to tie the front end together.

As for no accessories you are correct. No air bag sensors, no windshield wiper reservior and no AC. Oh well.

Quick Reply: How to build a custom Turbo kit