Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
You can also take a pry bar and pry that coolant line coming out of the front to the left of the turbine housing so it sits back under the head there. I did this on all the turbo installs I've helped with and it gave me a little extra clearance to work with (and the turbonetics kit had an AC line running next to it). Just a small touch to keep anything rubber away from that hot housing/dp.
Believe it or not, it was already done, the angle of the picture makes it hard to tell. With the line moved, I have more then enough room to easily fit a 45o elbow socket for the top left bolt.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:40 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck. Glad to see another DIY'er. Going all out with a brand new kit! Cool.
Have fun!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is it going brother in installing your own turbo kit......at least you didnt try installing a greddy twin kit with the engine still in the car like i did.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
imonlykidden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
sumfknguy

looks good man! looking forward to the end results!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
BornSlippyZ

Nice work Jeffie7, makes me want to wrench on my Z.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:48 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by superchargedg
How is it going brother in installing your own turbo kit......at least you didnt try installing a greddy twin kit with the engine still in the car like i did.
I wonder how much harder the Greddy kit is VS this one, no doubt more piping, but this kit has the largest piping possible, while only a single, I'm guessing its just as hard to install, just less pipes.

I wont get around to doing all that much work on it till Saturday. Might get out there for a few tomorrow but I'm trying to keep the noise levels down since I have people living over top and to the right of my garage. Weekdays = only home at night.

Might do the oil pan tomorrow as with the fittings and such. maybe the water lines. we'll see.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
iknowitsfast

man this is an awesome thread. keep it up jeff!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I wonder how much harder the Greddy kit is VS this one, no doubt more piping, but this kit has the largest piping possible, while only a single, I'm guessing its just as hard to install, just less pipes.
The single turbo kit is much easier, actually. There's a reason why most shops would rather just pull the motor to install a TT kit.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 AM
G3po

Default ST vs TT install

The single turbo kit is much easier, actually. There's a reason why most shops would rather just pull the motor to install a TT kit.
Yep , I did an APS TT, there is "alot" more to do in the exhaust manifold are on a TT setup. Doing it with the LB in th engine bay is asking for more bloodied knuckles and colorful superlatives....

Personally I'd like to see an ST setup with nearly 100% indexed V-band connections.

Last edited by G3po; 04-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Lawy'dU

nice nice
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Tell me about it...............what a pita.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

jeffi needs to stop complaining and get back down under his car and finish it up

his car is looking pretty bad ***(not jsut engine bay)
Old 04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
forced_04

I did the same with the extensions. 1 20 inch ext and one 10 with a swivel end. looks ridicuolus but works

Last edited by forced_04; 04-17-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
jeffie7

Today I spent around 30 minutes on it, I had to back out all the bolts going to the turbo/up pipe/down pipe and put anti seize on all the bolts then put them all back in, so I was able to do the most fun bolts of the whole install twice! yay =)

14mm Crowfoot worked pretty well on that rear right bolt FWIW

I also bent the A/C line near the turbo so it runs along the frame rail. and started to remove the oil pan but it's on good, so I had to stop for the night.

Hammers = no good. It will have to wait till the weekend =(

Intense just sent me the needed map tonight, I went to install that but noticed that my Utec box didn't have the battery hookup or the ground cable DOH! Intense is calling turbo xs first thing in the AM and I'm also calling them. Going to see if they can over night it to me for saturday, or maybe someone that works there lives near me and can drop it off, they're about 50 miles from me.

Again props to intense and powerlabs for all the help, e-mail, aim, and phone.
hopefully I'll have some detailed pictures of the turbo oil/water lines. hint hint. looking for those tomorrow in my e-mail.
=)
Old 04-17-2008, 08:38 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Customer Service
Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
GolfinZ

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Today I spent around 30 minutes on it, I had to back out all the bolts going to the turbo/up pipe/down pipe and put anti seize on all the bolts then put them all back in, so I was able to do the most fun bolts of the whole install twice! yay =)

14mm Crowfoot worked pretty well on that rear right bolt FWIW

I also bent the A/C line near the turbo so it runs along the frame rail. and started to remove the oil pan but it's on good, so I had to stop for the night.

Hammers = no good. It will have to wait till the weekend =(

Intense just sent me the needed map tonight, I went to install that but noticed that my Utec box didn't have the battery hookup or the ground cable DOH! Intense is calling turbo xs first thing in the AM and I'm also calling them. Going to see if they can over night it to me for saturday, or maybe someone that works there lives near me and can drop it off, they're about 50 miles from me.

Again props to intense and powerlabs for all the help, e-mail, aim, and phone.
hopefully I'll have some detailed pictures of the turbo oil/water lines. hint hint. looking for those tomorrow in my e-mail.
=)
awesome dude! Ive been following the powerlab kit for a while and want to see as many pics as you can get b/c I feel that I can install the kit with some buddies and some beer Gotta have Jason fly out to TX to install/tune the proefi though
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GolfinZ
awesome dude! Ive been following the powerlab kit for a while and want to see as many pics as you can get b/c I feel that I can install the kit with some buddies and some beer Gotta have Jason fly out to TX to install/tune the proefi though
none of the kits on the market are HARD to install. Some just take more time than others and also, having the right tools makes all the difference. If you have just a set of sockets and some wrenches, don't attempt any of these installs.

if you have lots of different sockets sets, extensions, swivels, crows feet, alot of patience, ratcheting wrenches, don't mind scuffing some knuckles, etc....go for a DIY build.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:24 AM
UMW350Z

I'll say it again jeffie...RESPECT
Old 04-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slowly but surely its coming along Jeffie. I remmeber years ago giving you a ride in my TN set-up and you telling me about your previous project car and your doubts on taking that pluge with the Z. Nice to see something different in the area, it should be a fun summer with a variety of set-ups in the Mid-A.

Have you decided who is going to tune it?

Quick Reply: Random pictures from powerlabs turbo install