Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Eagletanggreen---> ForgedPerformance long term motor update<------

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going back to your original post regarding Evans-if you experience headlift, having Evans or not is not an issue. Just my 2 cents what do I know?

Perhaps you should elaborate on this, now that would be sharing knowledge with the community

Originally Posted by George@GTM
I've been on this forum a long time (Jan 03) and have learned a lot from this forum and peoples expeirances. In my opinion, if you have a high horse power car, or drive your car hard, you will eventually expierance some type of headlift - and you might not even realize it.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I don't think you get what I am trying to say, which is fine its hard to interpret words or tone over the internet.

Since I have been on this forum, MOST of the high power cars, or cars that get beat on consistently, experience headlift at one point in time, this has been happening since the beginning and is what triggered all the development of different head stud options.

These engines were never designed for the massive amounts of horsepower and torque we get out of them, this is part of modifying a vehicle, if you think you can make crazy power, and beat the **** out of it, and on top of that expect it to be as reliable as an OEM engine, then you are just naive. (and by you I mean anyone who believes this, not you personally Alberto)

Do a search, numerous cars have lifted their heads, A couple of my built/FI buddy's from the early days (04) lifted their heads, most of them don't even post on the forum. (This was before I even knew GTM existed BTW)

So I recommend not using Evans coolant, not because it isn't a good product, but because of the fact that it will be hard to detect signs of head lift.

Also, If you are running your engine at temps so high that your boiling over your coolant, its only a matter of time before you overheat the engine and blow a head gasket.

-George
GTM

Last edited by GTM; 04-15-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Everyone just cant wait to get some drama going.

If only CBS knew about the drama that goes on here, we would be a hit on TV
Drama annoys me, but I'm always interested in hearing new schools of though, especially concerning our cars.

Next on 'The Old and the Headlifted'
Or. 'As the Turbo Turns'
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I don't think you get what I am trying to say, which is fine its hard to interpret words or tone over the internet.

Since I have been on this forum, MOST of the high power cars, or cars that get beat on consistently, experience headlift at one point in time, this has been happening since the beginning and is what triggered all the development of different head stud options.

These engines were never designed for the massive amounts of horsepower and torque we get out of them, this is part of modifying a vehicle, if you think you can make crazy power, and beat the **** out of it, and on top of that expect it to be as reliable as an OEM engine, then you are just naive. (and by you I mean anyone who believes this, not you personally Alberto)

Do a search, numerous cars have lifted their heads, A couple of my built/FI buddy's from the early days (04) lifted their heads, most of them don't even post on the forum. (This was before I even knew GTM existed BTW)

So I recommend not using Evans coolant, not because it isn't a good product, but because of the fact that it will be hard to detect signs of head lift.

Also, If you are running your engine at temps so high that your boiling over your coolant, its only a matter of time before you overheat the engine and blow a head gasket.

-George
GTM

I agree with you in the sense of high hp = head lift, and with high HP I mean 700 to 800 hp running hard but who has done that??? ME! .

When a forum member lifts heads @ less than 500hp then their is a serious issue that needs to be address, and addressed it will be.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
XKR

As Vin Diesel said in XXX...."I live for this ****"

Originally Posted by Alberto
If people built motors correctly and did everything right headlift wouldnt be a problem some built guys had to worry about.

Its sucks for the guys on the other end, who end up paying big $$$$ for other peoples mistakes .

Guilty conscious? I never mentioned GTM....
Do you tell the customers you sell the 1000whp blocks to that if they drive hard their motor will headlift at some point? I never read that in all the propoganda?
When the time comes I'll share my experiences, nobody can make excuses on that.
Everyone just cant wait to get some drama going.
When a forum member lifts heads @ less than 500hp then their is a serious issue that needs to be address, and addressed it will be.

Originally Posted by stvo

Last edited by XKR; 04-15-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Guilty conscious? I never mentioned GTM....

Do you tell the customers you sell the 1000whp blocks to that if they drive hard their motor will headlift at some point? I never read that in all the propoganda?

When the time comes I'll share my experiences, nobody can make
excuses on that.
Hey alberto, did you ever find out what was the cause of your head gasket failing .

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I agree with you in the sense of high hp = head lift, and with high HP I mean 700 to 800 hp running hard but who has done that??? ME! .

+1 Luie summed it up nicely. Headlift in 2004? Sure, the community is new, not a lot of products,etc, etc. HL in 2008? Well....

George- I would never expect a mod'd car to be as reliable as stock, Ive had couplers blow off that needed fixing, boost controllers fail, cracked a Crawford plenum, destroyed transmissions, etc, but HL @ weaksauce power-lets say it was less than 1/2 the advertised whp rating, would be $hitty for somebody huh?
Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

+ 1

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Hey alberto, did you ever find out what was the cause of your head gasket failing .

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Hey Sam, Id appreciate if you didnt post my business online, did you ever find out why all of your sleeved motors (your direct and indirect sleeved block cutomers) being driven hard are failing?

Alberto

The TRUTH

<---waits for Sam to blame the headgaskets
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM
XKR

Hey Sam, Id appreciate if you didnt post my business online, did you ever find out why all of your sleeved motors (your direct and indirect sleeved block cutomers) being driven hard are failing?

Alberto

The TRUTH

OUCH !!!!

Last edited by XKR; 04-15-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Weqster

I come from the honda world, we have been expeicing headlift since the mid 90's.

Two things are a must in any motor i build now.

Sleeves. Stock allu sleeves will move. They can sink, they can vibrate and this all causes 'headlift'.

1/2" Studs. Got to keep that head down, hard up against the gasket.

Other solutions we have come up with include o-rings. This is why you guys use HKS gaskets, because they come o-ringed. The other methods include copper o-rings milled into the head and block, and an alu headgasket. This does place extra stress on the gasket though. Some people claim it induces pre-mature blowing. But personally ive had good success with it.

Oh, and ive had years of 'headlift' problems. The best way i can describe diagnosing 'headlift' is that your coolant will be:

Perform a high-boost pull. You coolant will be like.

* Like a fizzy drink
* Radom air-pockets
* Carbon particles traveling through the cooling system
* Some oily, fuely residue.

Eagle; this is what iw as elluding too. Random air-pockets in the cooling system, even after its been purged, is a classic sign of headlift. The amount of times ive stood by the road, purging the system has left me jaded.

Oh and i use the term 'head-lift' loosy because of two reasons.

1. This phenomonom first appeared during the 1960's with the advent of the alluminium open deck block. These block were notorious for blowin headgaskets. Soon came the advent of the o-ring.

2. Closed deck iron block use comparable fasteners and heads, yet dont suffer 'headlift'. Well they can, but only at extreme pressures (40+psi/combustion)

So i dont really beleive heads lift. I defaintly beleive sleeves move and sink. Engine design (R/S ratio) all has an impact on how more pressure is placed on the sleeves. Which directly corralates to how good a block will be at warding off 'headlift'.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Weqster
I come from the honda world, we have been expeicing headlift since the mid 90's.

Sleeves. Stock allu sleeves will move. They can sink, they can vibrate and this all causes 'headlift'.

Other solutions we have come up with include o-rings. This is why you guys use HKS gaskets, because they come o-ringed. The other methods include copper o-rings milled into the head and block, and an alu headgasket. This does place extra stress on the gasket though. Some people claim it induces pre-mature blowing. But personally ive had good success with it.

Oh, and ive had years of 'headlift' problems. The best way i can describe diagnosing 'headlift' is that your coolant will be:

* Like a fizzy drink
* Radom air-pockets

Eagle; this is what iw as elluding too. Random air-pockets in the cooling system, even after its been purged, is a classic sign of headlift. The amount of times ive stood by the road, purging the system has left me jaded.

1. This phenomonom first appeared during the 1960's with the advent of the alluminium open deck block. These block were notorious for blowin headgaskets. Soon came the advent of the o-ring.

2. Closed deck iron block use comparable fasteners and heads, yet dont suffer 'headlift'. Well they can, but only at extreme pressures (40+psi/combustion)

So i dont really beleive heads lift. I defaintly beleive sleeves move and sink. Engine design (R/S ratio) all has an impact on how more pressure is placed on the sleeves. Which directly corralates to how good a block will be at warding off 'headlift'.

Thanks for your input mate!

But we here in the US suck when it comes to sleeving motors on the VQ, thats why I think it "safer" to keep it non sleeved.

Luie
Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Weqster

Alberto

The TRUTH

No matter how stout your engine is, if you tune/gas is off, you will have problems.

In a couple of years, once people get more experience, im sure some lessons will be learned in regards to timing. Timing has a massive impact combustion pressures. and combustion pressure are what destroys headgaskets not boost. A little knock will take out the weakest link, and the weaket link in most setups is the headgasket.

Even if a engine doesnt knock, it does not mean its correct timing.

And sometimes big money, and big engines make tuners look bigger then they are..

In the honda world, the most impressive tuners are the ones who can make any setup (not matter how junkyard) reliable.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Weqster

Thanks for your input mate!

But we here in the US suck when it comes to sleeving motors on the VQ, thats why I think it "safer" to keep it non sleeved.

Luie

Why do u guys suck?? U have all the best machines and access to the most experienced builders.. Benson, golden eagle, darton <-- those guys know the artform of sleeving.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

It would seem that we mod our VQ/s the way we would a domestic muscle car. Strengthening the innards alone is not enough; just to resleeve for the sake of resleeving without understanding the dynamics involved will cause more problems than not, we expose the blocks to more than a 40 % increase in normal operating temperatures and we expect it to keep on ticking; it will tick alright, but like a time bomb.

But resleeving alone is not the cause of head lifts.

I recall back in 2003 VQ mods would consist of increasing the torque on the engine block and/or replacing the stock fasteners for oversized ARP 2000-series 12mm studs and bolts that accept higher torque; and what do you think happened, people began blowing windows through the blocks.

The weakest link were the bolts holding the heads down and the gasket; removing that equation only creates another weak link along the chain.

There are certain things that we should leave to the experienced engine builder and not experiment by ourselves. If experts could get it wrong what chance do amateurs have? The engines of today’s imports are very high tech for just anyone who knows how to use a wrench and screw driver to modify successfully way beyond its intended purpose.

Most of us will usually ask “how much power will that part make” or “will the part or modification make the power where you want it?” Speaking of “the” part or “the” modification – there ain’t none! There is no one part or one modification that will give you the performance you desire; It’s the combination, the combination, the combination!!

One part or modification is rarely a big power gain, more likely is that it will cause you heart aches – especially if it is wrong! The R & D to come up with the ideal combination takes time and dollars.

Your engine is only as good as its weakest link.

It is unfortunate that people do not speak of problems they experienced or mistakes they make, and these same people point their finger at everyone else's mistakes.

Just my 2 cts

I've been on this forum a long time (Jan 03) and have learned a lot from this forum and peoples expeirances. In my opinion, if you have a high horse power car, or drive your car hard, you will eventually expierance some type of headlift - and you might not even realize it.

Why do you think you need 16 cylinders, 4 turbos, and a 1.2 million dollar price tag to make a car that has 1000hp and is still somewhat reliable? Nothing is bullet proof, and shouldn't be treated as so.

Also, just because your coolant won't boil over at 260degrees F, doesn't mean your engine should be running that hot, overheating is a classic method for blowing a head gasket.

Just my opinion BTW

-George
Oh my goodness, what do you know, a bogatti fan in our midst. An owner tells me that once you turn on the key and let loose with 4 turbos, voids the warranty YOWZER!

Best
G
Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

wow, this has gotten extremely interesting.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Weqster

* Like a fizzy drink
* Radom air-pockets

GREAT INFO, and much appreciated. Id appreciate it more if you or you would let me post it in my thread, its highly relevant.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
It would seem that we mod our VQ/s the way we would a domestic muscle car. Strengthening the innards alone is not enough; just to resleeve for the sake of resleeving without understanding the dynamics involved will cause more problems than not, we expose the blocks to more than a 40 % increase in normal operating temperatures and we expect it to keep on ticking; it will tick alright, but like a time bomb.

But resleeving alone is not the cause of head lifts.

I recall back in 2003 VQ mods would consist of increasing the torque on the engine block and/or replacing the stock fasteners for oversized ARP 2000-series 12mm studs and bolts that accept higher torque; and what do you think happened, people began blowing windows through the blocks.

The weakest link were the bolts holding the heads down and the gasket; removing that equation only creates another weak link along the chain.

There are certain things that we should leave to the experienced engine builder and not experiment by ourselves. If experts could get it wrong what chance do amateurs have? The engines of today’s imports are very high tech for just anyone who knows how to use a wrench and screw driver to modify successfully way beyond its intended purpose.

Most of us will usually ask “how much power will that part make” or “will the part or modification make the power where you want it?” Speaking of “the” part or “the” modification – there ain’t none! There is no one part or one modification that will give you the performance you desire; It’s the combination, the combination, the combination!!

One part or modification is rarely a big power gain, more likely is that it will cause you heart aches – especially if it is wrong! The R & D to come up with the ideal combination takes time and dollars.

Your engine is only as good as its weakest link.

It is unfortunate that people do not speak of problems they experienced or mistakes they make, and these same people point their finger at everyone else's mistakes.

Just my 2 cts

Oh my goodness, what do you know, a bogatti fan in our midst. An owner tells me that once you turn on the key and let loose with 4 turbos, voids the warranty YOWZER!

Best
G
Proves my point exactly.

-George
GTM
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Alberto

The TRUTH

Alberto my intention was not to post you personal business ,it was a sincere question and I honestly did not know it was a secret .To this day we never got a straight answer from Forged on what caused the failure . I think it was a fair question to ask, don't you? We deserve an answer , as simple as that , and if there is something on my end I will take responsibility for it no problem . I think you looking for some one to blame that is all.

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I don't have horse in this race, so I'm not siding with anyone, but I think after spending the amount of money Alberto did, and having what is essentially a catastrophic failure, I would also probably be looking for someone to blame.

Quick Reply: Eagletanggreen---> ForgedPerformance long term motor update<------