Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

No Roots Blowers :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
one1pitchblackz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Roots Blowers :(

Yes i know stillen has one... But my question is , anyone else have one in production. I love um my friend has a 03 cobra, and its great. I know relentless had one in production, what happened to it. And stillen canceled there possible upgrade right. any awnsers to my questions would be great.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 PM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by one1pitchblackz
Yes i know stillen has one... But my question is , anyone else have one in production. I love um my friend has a 03 cobra, and its great. I know relentless had one in production, what happened to it. And stillen canceled there possible upgrade right. any awnsers to my questions would be great.
Really it comes down to hood clearance. If you want to have huge bubble there (much larger than the stillen), you could mount many different roots or twin screws on our engines.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:54 PM
one1pitchblackz

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
Really it comes down to hood clearance. If you want to have huge bubble there (much larger than the stillen), you could mount many different roots or twin screws on our engines.
But im wondering, didnt stillen cancel the m90 because it did not work well with the engine? if it where that easy i woud have a whipple under my hood
Old 04-18-2008, 06:04 PM
MMC Racing

But im wondering, didnt stillen cancel the m90 because it did not work well with the engine? if it where that easy i woud have a whipple under my hood
It is an air compressor, our engine doesn't know what size the compressor is. Fit was always going to be a challenge because of the sharp slope of the hood.

I'm a former Lightning owner who at one time had a M112, ported M112, Whipple 2.3L and later a Kenne Bell 2.6L. I have a pretty good understanding of the technology..
Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 PM
one1pitchblackz

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
It is an air compressor, our engine doesn't know what size the compressor is. Fit was always going to be a challenge because of the sharp slope of the hood.

I'm a former Lightning owner who at one time had a M112, ported M112, Whipple 2.3L and later a Kenne Bell 2.6L. I have a pretty good understanding of the technology..
Hell i would have a funky hood for a whipple or kenne bell. but what issues did stillen run into cause i want a dang roots
Old 04-19-2008, 02:50 AM
rx7/350z

Hell i would have a funky hood for a whipple or kenne bell. but what issues did stillen run into cause i want a dang roots
with all of the fi options out there for the z , what would be so great about getting a roots blower?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 AM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by rx7/350z
with all of the fi options out there for the z , what would be so great about getting a roots blower?

not really understanding the love for the heatons.

turbo's make much more power at the same psi, with much less heat.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 AM
halfass872

The Eaton's sound nice, and are unique, and have gobs of low end torque. May not be the best bang for the buck. I, like the OP, have always loved the sound and look of a roots blower, that's one of the main reasons i went with the Stillen.

Lets not have this turn into a "this is why my FI setup is better then Stillen" thread again!

To each their own!!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

reliable, no lag, relatively cheaper than turbo, no extensive maintnance
Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Centrifugal > roots for these cars, especially when considering the limited amount of room in the engine bay.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM
michaeljr6

procharger? better alternative?
Old 04-19-2008, 09:49 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by jonnylaw
Centrifugal > roots for these cars, especially when considering the limited amount of room in the engine bay.

+1 Cutting a hole in the hood sucks!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:40 PM
one1pitchblackz

Originally Posted by halfass872
The Eaton's sound nice, and are unique, and have gobs of low end torque. May not be the best bang for the buck. I, like the OP, have always loved the sound and look of a roots blower, that's one of the main reasons i went with the Stillen.

Lets not have this turn into a "this is why my FI setup is better then Stillen" thread again!

To each their own!!
So u do u like yer stillen? On another note are m90s close enough to a m62 blower to be used in its place. we all know stillen should have went bigger so is it possible for us to.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
halfass872

So u do u like yer stillen? On another note are m90s close enough to a m62 blower to be used in its place. we all know stillen should have went bigger so is it possible for us to.

I love it!! But if you were the type of person that want all the power in the world, it's not for you. It's low/no maintenence. No tuning (comes with new piggyback computer) and relatively easy to install. Sounds great, and turns heads! And unless you are a hard core track only guy, you'll love it around town cause it has tons of low end torque, for fun stoplight action!! It's a very unique setup that most overlook due to the HP/Cost ratio. But you can put it on and pretty much forget about it, unlike other setups. Plus i still get 27 MPG on the highway

I can't remember why no M90. Try searching, i know someone did a bit write up on it a while back. I think it came down to there were too many fuel/other upgrades that made in not cost effective. Or something to the effect.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM
one1pitchblackz

Originally Posted by halfass872
I love it!! But if you were the type of person that want all the power in the world, it's not for you. It's low/no maintenence. No tuning (comes with new piggyback computer) and relatively easy to install. Sounds great, and turns heads! And unless you are a hard core track only guy, you'll love it around town cause it has tons of low end torque, for fun stoplight action!! It's a very unique setup that most overlook due to the HP/Cost ratio. But you can put it on and pretty much forget about it, unlike other setups. Plus i still get 27 MPG on the highway
Yea im so thinking bout it because i like the upgradability factor with starting at stage 1. the hood his kinda fugly. but it is better than alot of people putting fake roof scoops and f&f wings
Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

yeah..cutting the hole in the hood does suck, but it doesn't look too bad. You kind of get used to it and it does get some "looks". Stillen is what it is...expensive and all, but it's fun to drive. Not my daily driver, but just something I can have fun with.

See the pics...enjoy!

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage 2, CAI and True Dual.
Attached Thumbnails No Roots Blowers :(-350z1-april-08.jpg   No Roots Blowers :(-350z-april-08.jpg  
Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
one1pitchblackz

Originally Posted by realwildone2
yeah..cutting the hole in the hood does suck, but it doesn't look too bad. You kind of get used to it and it does get some "looks". Stillen is what it is...expensive and all, but it's fun to drive. Not my daily driver, but just something I can have fun with.

See the pics...enjoy!

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage 2, CAI and True Dual.
Do u think true dual and cai helped u at all. from what i hear stillen likes backpressure. did u get a dyno run yet? looks great by the way
Old 04-19-2008, 02:55 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

not sure how much it added or not...haven't had it on a dyno. I do know that the SC "whine" is much louder with the CAI on it. I like the deep tone of the true dual. There is definitely a lot more low end torque which makes it very fun to drive. A lot of upgrade possibilities are out there for the "Z" and depends on what you want and like...bottom line. You're the one who has to be happy with it.

Have fun!!

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage 2, CAI, True Dual, 6m.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:02 PM
one1pitchblackz

Yea im not interested in 400+ horse power. yea it would be great, but where would i have the ability to open it up. not to mention i cant afford to get a racing ticket, could lose my job. i would be happen with 300+, and one hell of a ride.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Hoooper

Do u think true dual and cai helped u at all. from what i hear stillen likes backpressure. did u get a dyno run yet? looks great by the way
i still dont like the stillen backpressure thing. a lot of people go to stock exhaust and such for the extra boost, but the fact is that turbo and s/c is more about the cfm you flow, so with the extra backpressure you probly are making less power at 1-2psi more than your friend with the same setup and less backpressure. in fact, i think i saw a thread recently where someone dyno'd their stillen after getting a new exhaust, they saw like 2psi less and a bunch more hp

Quick Reply: No Roots Blowers :(