Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

benefits of solid motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Chudson coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default benefits of solid motor mounts?

I've seen a lot of threads where people with big power use solid motor mounts. Can someone describe what the benefits are and why? Is it just so your engine can't twist and gain momentum to snap the mounts?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:34 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

There is none IMO. If your car makes more than 600hp, you have no traction, so whats a couple of hp loss cuz of non solid mounts. Also your car will drive a bit more smoothly for everyday driving. I would recommend against it for a street car. Now for a dedicated track car they would be great.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

+1....yea no motor movement but but u WILL FEEL THE CAR MOVE WITH IT NOW.....
Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Chudson coupe

Thanks, I'm not thinking about it for my car, I just wanted to understand why it was being done on others.

Is it safe to assume that the only benefit would be to negate a small amount of HP loss at the beginning of a pull (and during every shift) when the engine twists?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

worthless mod unless you have a dedicated drag car
Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are you guys talking about?

solid motor mounts has been one of the greatest no-brainer improvement mods I've done
my wife didn't even notice a difference in vibration. This car doesn't react all that horrible to it like most lightweight 4 cylinder or inline 6 engine cars do

smoother shifting
tighter handling
crisper throttle response
slightly more whp to the wheels
6 lbs less weight
lowers engine 1/2 inch to lower center of gravity slightly

what's not to like?

I'd do it 100 times over again

Last edited by sentry65; 05-01-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
IIQuickSilverII

riight... so how much you swear your HKS DLI improved your setup?

id like to see your proof of:
smoother shifting
tighter handling

and thats its not related to the fact your run a superior ems(fcon) with great tune for starters.

i think you are just tryign to lie to yourself for spending money on a worthless mod...
1/2" engine drop is pointless unless you run a 1/2" spacer and your stock strut doenst fit, or crawford headers....

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-01-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
that one's hard to really say what it did. I mainly got it because I was going to be running water/meth injection and wanted to absolutely ensure the spark wouldn't blow out
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Originally Posted by sentry65
that one's hard to really say what it did. I mainly got it because I was going to be running water/meth injection and wanted to absolutely ensure the spark wouldn't blow out
Stock ignition on the Z is AWESOME!!!!!! We have fired through some rich A/Fs and haven't skipped a beat
Old 05-01-2008, 12:23 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
Stock ignition on the Z is AWESOME!!!!!! We have fired through some rich A/Fs and haven't skipped a beat

btw, sorry for the ninja edit sentry.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:26 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah +1, I was just getting the HKS for extra insurance. If I wasn't doing water injection I probably would have skipped it

it did help keep my engine running when one of my coil packs was dying. When the HKS was removed, that cylinder barely even fired
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

smoother shifting
tighter handling

and thats its not related to the fact your run a superior ems(fcon) with great tune for starters
proof?

not sure how to send you proof about it over the internet

don't need to take my word for it, but that's been my impressions of the solid mounts which I had a year before my Fcon

i think you are just tryign to lie to yourself for spending money on a worthless mod...
1/2" engine drop is pointless unless you run a 1/2" spacer and your stock strut doenst fit, or crawford headers....
whatever

Last edited by sentry65; 05-01-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:27 PM
XKR

smoother shifting
tighter handling

and thats its not related to the fact your run a superior ems(fcon) with great tune for starters
+1.... I too would like to see/feel the proof, because I was also thinging of getting it. But I have it on my race car and it transfers the vibration into the cabin. I would like to see what it does to the G/Z
Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
chris'smax

Sentry, i am going to have to call BS on what you stated. I have solid motor mounts in my car and i can tell you the ONLY reason i got them was because i had to due to my turbo kit fitting so tightly. When i went to forged and picked up my car and cranked it up for the first time i almost cried. You feel EVERYTHING when starting it up and when acclerating from a stop. The only time i don't know i have them is when cruising on the interstate. My car is a 06 and has 13,000 miles and my interior rattles like a son of a b!tch (didn't do it before i got them). Now i will say i have gotten used to them and i really don't care anymore since i am making my car more of a track car and don't drive it daily. I can say that i would never get these if i didn't have to and reccomend that no one gets them unless they have a straight track car.

BTW i even feel the engine vibration sometimes when i am on the interstate and i let of the throttle while the car is still in gear (only does it sometimes). The freaking engine/tranny start vibrating like a ****.

Last edited by chris'smax; 05-01-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:38 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Sentry, i am going to have to call BS on what you stated. I have solid motor mounts in my car and i can tell you the ONLY reason i got them was because i had to due to my turbo kit fitting so tightly. When i went to forged and picked up my car and cranked it up for the first time i almost cried. You feel EVERYTHING when starting it up and when acclerating from a stop. The only time i don't know i have them is when cruising on the interstate. My car is a 06 and has 13,000 miles and my interior rattles like a son of a b!tch (didn't do it before i got them). Now i will say i have gotten used to them and i really don't care anymore since i am making my car more of a track car and don't drive it daily. I can say that i would never get these if i didn't have to and reccomend that no one gets them unless they have a straight track car.

BTW i even feel the engine vibration sometimes when i am on the interstate and i let of the throttle while the car is still in gear (only does it sometimes). The freaking engine/tranny start vibrating like a ****.

Thats what I thought .... thanks for the info
Old 05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i really have no idea, a lot of people say they didn't notice a thing with vibration and some people say they caused bloody murder on their car.

I have a 2003 track model

I guess all I can say is my car has a ton of harder-core track sorts of mods and somehow there just isn't much difference with my car with vibration OR I'm somehow just not feeling or caring about the extra vibration.

maybe it has something to do with my 1300 rpm idle that I don't notice a difference at idle - I'm not sure.

when my installer put them in and started the car up, he was saying how you could really feel them and wasn't sure I'd want to stick with them. Bear in mind he prefers BMW's which usually have softer suspensions so maybe it has something to do with the level of luxury you're used to feeling that any added vibration seems really noticable. I sat in the car and it felt fine. I honestly didn't get the big deal at all and neither did my wife who's extremely sensitive to vibrations causing her migraines.

personally, whatever vibration it adds, I kinda like it to be honest. It kinda makes the car feel more beastly - ok that probably sounds lame

I also have solid diff mounts and love those too. It was instantly apparent how much more feedback I got from the clutch with those

Last edited by sentry65; 05-01-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Anyone try the polyurethane mounts http://www.hopupracing.com/merani35enmo.html seems like a nice compromise, I have not found any info on Megan's site though
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

lol $300 for mounts

though it includes a stiffer transmission mount - which I would NOT do

speaking of which, don't the later transmission models have more bolts that bolt to the chassis compared to the original or earlier Z transmissions? I thought I read somewhere there's some sort of difference like that besides that differences inside the transmission. Maybe that has something to do with which people don't mind the solid mounts and which people hate them?

Last edited by sentry65; 05-01-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by XKR
Thats what I thought .... thanks for the info

No prob
Old 05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by sentry65
i really have no idea, a lot of people say they didn't notice a thing with vibration and some people say they caused bloody murder on their car.

I have a 2003 track model

I guess all I can say is my car has a ton of harder-core track sorts of mods and somehow there just isn't much difference with my car with vibration OR I'm somehow just not feeling or caring about the extra vibration.

maybe it has something to do with my 1300 rpm idle that I don't notice a difference at idle - I'm not sure.

when my installer put them in and started the car up, he was saying how you could really feel them and wasn't sure I'd want to stick with them. Bear in mind he prefers BMW's which usually have softer suspensions so maybe it has something to do with the level of luxury you're used to feeling that any added vibration seems really noticable. I sat in the car and it felt fine. I honestly didn't get the big deal at all and neither did my wife who's extremely sensitive to vibrations causing her migraines.

personally, whatever vibration it adds, I kinda like it to be honest. It kinda makes the car feel more beastly - ok that probably sounds lame

I also have solid diff mounts and love those too. It was instantly apparent how much more feedback I got from the clutch with those

what kind of cams are you running that you needed to jack up the idle to 1300rpms btw?

Originally Posted by chris'smax

exactly what ive heard from almost everybody. Some can "take" the rattle(not like they have a choice anyways) but all agree its there

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-01-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Quick Reply: benefits of solid motor mounts?