Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Boosted in Cali

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:25 PM
supernadc2
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt read through the whole thread an maybe i should have but good luck man.
Couple years ago i got pulled over in my brothers Acura CL in Simi Valley no speeding nothing. It was a "routine stop".
He asked me what i had done under the hood i said nothing he said are you sure and i said yeap!
Well he checked anyways and found the NOS set up and wrote me up to the BAR REF. Turns out we in Cali have what they call a DRAG unit im not sure what it stands for but he said he was a part of this new thing they started and they are allowed to pull u over and see if your car is cool.
I went to the bar ref and man did they tear apart my bros car. ( not literally) but they kicked the front bumper and said look i cant get my foot under here what if u hit someone u wouldnt even run them over i was like why the **** would i want to? haha. Intake exhaust nos set up seats everything they got me for. We didnt change anything just registered it as non operational and can be moved from shop to shop but he drives it all the time.
Moral of the story.. if u got money like all these guys said cool... if u wanna be safe go vortech. Im plannin the same route.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 PM
FrickU

Keep the stock exhaust and cats on, When cops pull you over, they will pop you're hood if your car looks like it attracts attention(loud exhaust, body kit, blah blah blah). Most cops don't know what the hell they are looking at. So they will give you a REF ticket right off the bat. Then you have to get everything uninstalled and it is just a complete waste of money.

NOW, if they give you a ref ticket, they put this note on your name in the cop computer system(whatever it's called) and if they pull you over again and the car hasn't been passed by the REF, they will impound the car.

Be smart, good luck with your decision
Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Thanks to all for the valuable input. I have made my decision to stay CARB but have found a way to get the power I am looking for.

Link to my plan: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/360309-in-the-works.html
Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Alfreds Z

Im glad to hear you made your decision...you are going to miss the turbos though! Oh well, it's not for everyone I guess Good luck with whatever happens in the future with your car
Old 05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Originally Posted by 91 6 19twinz
Im glad to hear you made your decision...you are going to miss the turbos though! Oh well, it's not for everyone I guess Good luck with whatever happens in the future with your car
Thanks man! I dont think I will miss the turbos all that much when Ive got the HKS SC on a stroked engine putting 500 hp to the wheels but I know what you're getting at. If I really miss it in a few years Ill go for the GTR when they are obtainable.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
THE ROADSTER

500 whp on supercharger ??????????? I want to see this........if you hit
500whp I might switch over to SC form twins because of California.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Originally Posted by THE ROADSTER
500 whp on supercharger ??????????? I want to see this........if you hit
500whp I might switch over to SC form twins because of California.
Exactly! It's definitely a Cali thing, but also the power band with instant torque from the 4.0 L with the SC should feel pretty darn good.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM
FrickU

If you already posted a thread saying how you are already are going to get your build done through GTM then why is this thread here? You have already made your decision obviously.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 AM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Originally Posted by FrickU
If you already posted a thread saying how you are already are going to get your build done through GTM then why is this thread here? You have already made your decision obviously.

Because the start date of the two threads 5-4-08 vs 5-18-08 represents a separation of time and space as well as an evolution of my thought process after careful consideration.

You are a complete waste of a perfectly good double helical structure....oh wait, let me spell that out for you.....D. N. A!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Alfreds Z

Originally Posted by FrickU
This thread is also here so people can post up there previous experiences about going FI in Cali and the things they did to solve them or the consequences about them. It's useful information for the ones that are planning on going FI(Not SC route).
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
c3 rolling

Seriously its like hitting the Lotto when you get a ref ticket. I would say 90% + of cops dont even know how to write a ref ticket and if they did, they wouldnt be able to tell whats what. Alot of it has to do with whether your in nor cal or so cal also. If you to do the Turbo route just dont cut out the grill, have a loud exhaust, use a BOV that recycles into the intake.....and dont drive in los angeles and any major freeways

Last edited by c3 rolling; 05-20-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Alfreds Z

Originally Posted by c3 rolling
Seriously its like hitting the Lotto when you get a ref ticket. I would say 90% + of cops dont even know how to write a ref ticket and if they did, they wouldnt be able to tell whats what. Alot of it has to do with whether your in nor cal or so cal also. If you to do the Turbo route just dont cut out the grill, have a loud exhaust, use a BOV that recycles into the intake.....and dont drive in los angeles and any major freeways
Very true, it honestly depends on what area you live in and how the cops are around there. Some places in Cali are more strict then others. For example, I live in the southside of Sac(for anyone that knows sacramento), and honestly, there are so many hondas and acuras that roll around with loud *** annoying exhausts and no cats and most cops pay no attention to them. But once I step into the Elk Grove area or downtown area, then I watch myself a little more. But yea...like c3 said, and as many of us know, there are many things that can be done to our setup that can be made to look stock and will throw off the majority of cops. As long as were not driving like maniacs and swerving like there is no tomorow, then most of the time you should be fine
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
ESP350Z

How many people in CA with a vortech have been sent to the ref by a cop who didn't know what he was looking at but insisted it was illegal?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
redman333

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres what my car looks like. I drove around cali for almost 2 years and was pulled over a few times and never got hassled about having a modified car. Not even exhaust. I got a couple tint tickets though.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Hexxum001

I guess it all just depends on the cop that pulls you over too. I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop and a cop car just happened to be passing by so they pulled over also. So I had 3 cops looking at my car and none of them said a thing about me being modded. I did get a ticket (stupid turning ticket) but none of them even mentioned anything about being modded and didn't really seem to car that I was modded. And I have a TS front bumper so my IC is in full view. It's just the luck of the draw in Cali. :/
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
gennosuke1

Alright i looked around some threads asked couple questions..

now wtf should i do lol

i read that the twin turbo greddy is carb legal but what about the APS single or single turbonectis? Since i am a noob to F/I, when they say carb is tht with emissions smog or something? I am thinking about going turbo but all these stories is really making me =/ i am a college student so i really couldnt pay off any fines if i get any, also i wouldnt want to take the turbo off once i get it. I read that there are ways of painting it to make it less noticeable. Im not running any crazy aftermarkter crap, just some suspension mods and wheels along with exhaust with cats

HELP!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u got to pay to have fun and also none of the turbo kits are legal for the g35/350z.

Originally Posted by gennosuke1

now wtf should i do lol

i read that the twin turbo greddy is carb legal but what about the APS single or single turbonectis? Since i am a noob to F/I, when they say carb is tht with emissions smog or something? I am thinking about going turbo but all these stories is really making me =/ i am a college student so i really couldnt pay off any fines if i get any, also i wouldnt want to take the turbo off once i get it. I read that there are ways of painting it to make it less noticeable. Im not running any crazy aftermarkter crap, just some suspension mods and wheels along with exhaust with cats

HELP!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 AM
MMC Racing

Originally Posted by gennosuke1

now wtf should i do lol

HELP!
You should buy my CARB legal Vortech it. Not only is it a steal, you'll be within the law.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:54 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm...I have a Vortech...it's technically not CARB legal for Cali since I have a 2.87 pulley and bigger injectors...but that's hard to spot...I also have a plenum spacer that I'm hoping they dont notice if I ever get pulled over/reffereed...

Anyway, my question I want to go to the next level and get a water/methanol injection kit installed....any ideas if that is CARB legal? I have a feeling that the answer to that one is a big fat "NO"...

Also...would it help if I get pulled over if I have a CARB sticker for my Vortech on my hood? I got my Vortech used so I never got the sticker...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
gennosuke1

So basically if you have a turbo kit, you cant pass emissions unless you actually take it off and then put it back on later? that is if you dont get caught by cops. But honestly how can they not know, as soon as you hear the blow off you should know its F/I.

lets say taking the kit off and putting it back on is not that hard for you since it will only be required every 2 years, do you have to get it tuned again?

Quick Reply: Boosted in Cali