Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

[STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goosegoose
Damn. What happened there?
lol.. that was self inflicted by lunching the car hard on the Track.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while that is a factory oem oil pump, it was not on a stock motor. just to make that clear. would have a lot more stress being given to it on a built motor.

well if it was two weeks after a new turbo install, i would have to agree with J and say that it had to be low oil or oil contamination..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
while that is a factory oem oil pump, it was not on a stock motor. just to make that clear. would have a lot more stress being given to it on a built motor.

well if it was two weeks after a new turbo install, i would have to agree with J and say that it had to be low oil or oil contamination..
Being that I checked the oil level hours before the motor failure, and it did not read low, does that narrow down the most probably cause to oil contamination?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 AM
athenG

Being that I checked the oil level hours before the motor failure, and it did not read low, does that narrow down the most probably cause to oil contamination?

What filter do you use?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Not if the oil was incorrectly read on the stick. Are you 100% sure of your abilities to read the oil? Because I even find it a challange to get that dipstick out at times and read the oil level properly...

Like I said, 9 months no problems..2 weeks after install and retune, problems..To much coincidence for me to overlook..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC

The oil pressure upon intital start up and then reducing as the engine oil warmed up, tells a tale of incresed bearing clearances as the engine warmed up..
Even when my car was stock, oil pressure dropped as the car warmed up and the oil thins... Its completely normal - although pressure dropping to ZERO certainly isn't. I'm assuming thats what you're talking about.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
gothchick

Really sorry to see this. Good luck to the OP on a speedy rebuild.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
What filter do you use?
WIX
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 AM
goosegoose

Not if the oil was incorrectly read on the stick. Are you 100% sure of your abilities to read the oil? Because I even find it a challange to get that dipstick out at times and read the oil level properly...

Like I said, 9 months no problems..2 weeks after install and retune, problems..To much coincidence for me to overlook..
Pretty sure. I took the stick out a few times, and it was consistent. Two of my mechanics took it out once each that morning, and it was the same level. I know the thing is tricky, but between 3 people, and 4 reads, with 1 consistent result, I think it was ok.

I check the oil level with much paranoid obsession now.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
go-fast
Banned

did you drop the oil pan yourself? did you drain the oil before shipping it?

just wondering how much was in there...

basically three things could have happened...

you could have just had low oil pressure due to the fact it has to send it all the way to the back of the car to the turbo.

you could have hit something that caused an oil leak and ran the car low on oil.

or you could have gotten dirt, RTV, or some sort of junk in the pickup or through the bearings which would let less oil flow through the oil passages and cause it to have low pressure and less flow, causing everything to heat up and ruin every bearing/rotating part...

not ruling out the oil pump but we have done well over 100 stock motor FI VQs in the past year and havent seen one fail...

good luck with your new build. i am sure you are in good hands.
+1 -the remote turbo/long distance.could still be detonation as well,just because you dont see pitting from excessive/long term knock,doesnt mean detonation didnt wipe out a bearing and pass thru the motor.i would take a good look at the turbo,even though it might still be healthy there might be some of that crap in the lines and turbo itself.based on your ocd oil checking, i vote junk or knock.

Last edited by go-fast; 05-06-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by go-fast
+1 -the remote turbo/long distance
I'm not to familiar with the TN Kit but how does it get its oil? The distance from the oil filter going to the turbo which are pretty much in the same level are not that long. There are other STS who has 2-3 times more miles than goose and me and have not had a problem.

Edit: Sam also mentioned it was clogged so how is the distance related to the pump clogging?

Last edited by athenG; 05-06-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
I'm not to familiar with the TN Kit but how does it get its oil? The distance from the oil filter going to the turbo which are pretty much in the same level are not that long. There are other STS who has 2-3 times more miles than goose and me and have not had a problem.
you misunderstand...i dont think the remote set up had any thing to do with it
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM
athenG

/\ I didn't see you edited version....
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Im gonna say if it was oil starvation, it would have killed the turbo first, being it was the farthest from the oil source and would ultimately get oil last in line...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 AM
go-fast
Banned

a remote oil tank with its own oil system is not a bad idea though,it would prevent cross contamination.you could also better control the turbo's enviroment with it's own cooler and pancake fan.turbo bike guy's do this regular.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Wow
Old 05-06-2008, 05:53 PM
fklentz

I'm not sure about the remote location not being a problem. I'm sure this taps into the system right at the sending unit like most systems do. The problem I see is if the remote turbo has no restrictor or too small of a restrictor it would allow too much flow away from the bearing journals inspite of the fact that the gage is indicating sufficient pressure. Looking at the service manual the sending unit is right at the oil filter so the turbo splits the oil supply with the rest of the engine, definatly not the last thing supplied.

Picture it like a house that the hot water is not plummed properly, somebody flushes the toilet when you're having a hot shower and it suddenly turns cold or scalding hot. I've only seen one of these installed and it was in a chevy truck and it had it's own oil system.

I can't tell a lot from the photos, any idea which one's failed first? I would think the rear of the engine moving to the front as pressure dropped.

Last edited by fklentz; 05-06-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
mchapman

I happened there... 7800rpms, + 6500 RPM launch control..
Can you please explain the cause in your images a bit more, sorry but im not 100% clear with your answer. Overreving?, if so to what 7800rpm or 7800rpm + 6500rpm? Too Hard a launch with slicks plus 7800rpm etc? Two step at 7800rpm or something else?

Thanks for any clarification just trying to work out where the stock pump becomes a limitation.

Last edited by mchapman; 05-06-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 PM
g35driver2003

i cant believe you found a bunch of red X's in your motor...

good luck with the build, let us know if we can do anything for you. oil pressure is really tricky in these cars. not usually an issue with a stock motor but who knows when you have to pump oil soo far away from the engine.
Tell me about it, oil pressure is a b!!tch for my g35 and I have already upgraded to a Walbro fuel pump lol
Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by g35driver2003
Tell me about it, oil pressure is a b!!tch for my g35 and I have already upgraded to a Walbro fuel pump lol
How is he Fuel Pump affect the Oil pump? also STS come with the Walbro Fuel pump already so why upgrade? My Oil Pressure is always consistent in my car and I think the same with Goose before the upgrade.

Quick Reply: [STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?