Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

[STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
Ok, then please explain the 4 different fluctuating boost levels on simple Wastegate pressure? The problem with the kit is the location of the turbo.. It takes a while for it to get hot enought to spool up efficiently with the exhaust gases..Unfortunately by the time it reaches optimal efficiency temperatures and spools up fast and consistant, it has become a hair dryer, blowing VERY HOT air..

I'm not going to argue coz it is pointless. I believe his OEM G35 Bumper is not helping since the FMIC is not getting enough air to be efficient. Let us put this in real world situation, it takes me 3-5 block of driving to really get the turbo hot to spool efficiently when the car is sitting for a while (cold). If the blower is actually blowing hot air after 4 pulls in your dyno then how come non of the other STS owner including me with an open bumper had any problem with engine heat soak or knocking. I drive my car from Staten Island to Yonkers every weekend (45 miles one way) and I even had my AC turned on while boosting in the summer days. I can post raw un-edited logs with my Coolant and AIT included. My only problem with the kit is that you can't just start the car and start boosting right away. Cold start is one of the problem of rear-mount turbo but even in real world application, you still want your car to reach proper temp before you go boost happy anyways so it is really not a big deal.

I don't know what effect all the upgrade Goosegoose did to the kit but just by looking at it, it should improve everything (bigger FMIC, and better Turbo). If Jeremy can tune Teg's car at 10PSI with the stock weak STS turbo kit without a problem then I would really point everything to the OEM G35 Bumper. just my .02

Ok: I got some logs of my race with an M3 at the Major Degaan.. Temp was around 70's at that time.... I tried to put some comments and there are Time Stamp, AIT and even Coolant temp. With all those WOT my highest was 52C but that was very short lived and pretty much averaged around 40C-48C. There was a 3 occasion of knock coz I increased the sensitivity and you'll see ECU didn't pull any timing... This race by the way after driving already for 20 mins before we raced... I was also leaning at around 5000rpm and 80-90column but that has been solved...
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Race.txt (41.9 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by athenG; 05-24-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 AM
athenG

[BI am willing to DONATE FOR FREE, my TIME, and my DYNO, to LEWIS, and do 5 back to back consecutive dyno pulls from start to finish to compare ther results.
I will DATA LOG, and VIDEO TAPE th enetire process, and post my findings on this very forums to set the record straight..

Providing STS or other members of this community, pay for Lewis's GAS AND TOLLS to my facility, so he does not have to be out of pocket doing further R&D for STS..
How does that sound???

Can you extend that offer to someone who has a free flowing bumper like mine? My setup is the closest to Lewis since I also have the modified piping. I do have water/meth but that is after the Maf sensor so AIT should not be affected. I'm willing to put my car to a 5 dyno pull just for the sake of peace... lol Now I would also want a TN kit do a 5 straight dyno pull and let see how their AIT holds up.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
Can you extend that offer to someone who has a free flowing bumper like mine? My setup is the closest to Lewis since I also have the modified piping. I do have water/meth but that is after the Maf sensor so AIT should not be affected. I'm willing to put my car to a 5 dyno pull just for the sake of peace... lol Now I would also want a TN kit do a 5 straight dyno pull and let see how their AIT holds up.
Absolutely, since you seem to be calling me out also..

As far as Sub Zero's comments..And ATHENG will also attest to this..

The original STS piping was very obtrusive and cumbersome, it ran along the outside of the fraim rail. It made getting the car on a jack or lift near impossible. Athens concearn was also that his car was low, and requested we customize his piping to route it inside more. We did so, as a prototype on his car, and duplicated it also on Lewis's car. In fact at the time Lewis came back for the piping, his original piping was bashed to crap...SO m not the one that designed a turbo kit with intake piping 2" from the ground...

Athens car is a MT and Lewis's is an AT. I will say that Athens car did the same thing on the dyno from what I recall..

As far as me being "called on the carpet, as Sub Zero put it.." Please expound as to how I am called on the carpet for any of my actions since Lewis:
went to several different shops after he left mine.
He opted for a level 10 Valve body, against my advice
He upgraded the turbo at another shop several times
He retuned at another shop, several times..
He then blew his motor, purchased a new one from GTM, not me.
Installed that motor at another shop, not mine.
came back to me after a year, for a retune of the new upgraded turbo Rick sent him..
I also gave him for FREE, a set of headers I had lying around, in exchange for him hooking up my wireless router at the shop..

So now, let me ask you, am I supposed to retune his car for FREE? Is that what I am being called on the carpet for? you make me giggle..

I offered Lewis a deal if he was not happy with the STS last year, that we would sell him an APS at our cost, and do the install for half price...I did not se STS stepping up to the plate with ANYTHING to make their customers happy..NADA..NOTHING..

I have stepped uo in every possible way to make Lewis happy, and he has not once expressed being unsatisfied with me or my service..

The only thing I did negatively, was sell him the STS kit in the first place..
Old 05-24-2008, 08:51 AM
athenG

/\ I'm not calling you out..lol just giving you my experiences... I edited my Post and added some logs so you can see my AIT wasn't really bad.. I agree that you did offer us a very good deal back then.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ I'm not calling you out..lol just giving you my experiences... I edited my Post and added some logs so you can see my AIT wasn't really bad.. I agree that you did offer us a very good deal back then.
I can not tell which colum your stock ECU Timing is in..A good indication to determine knock is looking at what the stock ECU timing wants to do..
Old 05-24-2008, 09:01 AM
athenG

I can not tell which colum your stock ECU Timing is in..A good indication to determine knock is looking at what the stock ECU timing wants to do..

Here.. By the way this is with Meth so I'm not afraid to run 11.6 A/F..
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Race.txt (42.8 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM
athenG

The logs was also done in the afternoon so my car should heat up more coz it was sunny that day and around mid 70's. Here's the complete raw logs just for disclousure... I also need a bigger injector coz my Inj. Duty Cycle is above 90%

My bad.. the logs are to big to be attached..

Last edited by athenG; 05-24-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Hmmm...maybe I should glance over the oil pressure gauge more often, to de-
tect failures ahead of time...That's a bummer.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely, since you seem to be calling me out also..

As far as Sub Zero's comments..And ATHENG will also attest to this..

The original STS piping was very obtrusive and cumbersome, it ran along the outside of the fraim rail. It made getting the car on a jack or lift near impossible. Athens concearn was also that his car was low, and requested we customize his piping to route it inside more. We did so, as a prototype on his car, and duplicated it also on Lewis's car. In fact at the time Lewis came back for the piping, his original piping was bashed to crap...SO m not the one that designed a turbo kit with intake piping 2" from the ground...

Athens car is a MT and Lewis's is an AT. I will say that Athens car did the same thing on the dyno from what I recall..

As far as me being "called on the carpet, as Sub Zero put it.." Please expound as to how I am called on the carpet for any of my actions since Lewis:
went to several different shops after he left mine.
He opted for a level 10 Valve body, against my advice
He upgraded the turbo at another shop several times
He retuned at another shop, several times..
He then blew his motor, purchased a new one from GTM, not me.
Installed that motor at another shop, not mine.
came back to me after a year, for a retune of the new upgraded turbo Rick sent him..
I also gave him for FREE, a set of headers I had lying around, in exchange for him hooking up my wireless router at the shop..

So now, let me ask you, am I supposed to retune his car for FREE? Is that what I am being called on the carpet for? you make me giggle..

I offered Lewis a deal if he was not happy with the STS last year, that we would sell him an APS at our cost, and do the install for half price...I did not se STS stepping up to the plate with ANYTHING to make their customers happy..NADA..NOTHING..

I have stepped uo in every possible way to make Lewis happy, and he has not once expressed being unsatisfied with me or my service..

The only thing I did negatively, was sell him the STS kit in the first place..
Man I don't even want to argue because it is pointless with you! What happened in the past is just that, THE PAST!! My whole point is that you are blaming one whole company over only one install when it was a series of things including you. If something is the fault of the Kit then why isn't it getting fixed? Do we want to look back or move forward?

Last edited by Sub zero; 05-24-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

goosegoose,

your pm box is full up.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:36 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
goosegoose,

your pm box is full up.

What's going on in here? I was gone for one day, and it looks like things blew up and my PM box filled up! My PM box is now free, so feel free to resend your messages.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sub zero
Man I don't even want to argue because it is pointless with you! What happened in the past is just that, THE PAST!! My whole point is that you are blaming one whole company over only one install when it was a series of things including you. If something is the fault of the Kit then why isn't it getting fixed? Do we want to look back or move forward?
How does one debate hard technical factual data with someone who recieved a FREE TURBO KIT, in exchange for hyping the product at all costs..I give up, Your right Im wrong..Im a HACK, I admit it..
Old 05-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Sub zero

How does one debate hard technical factual data with someone who recieved a FREE TURBO KIT, in exchange for hyping the product at all costs..I give up, Your right Im wrong..Im a HACK, I admit it..
Papi for your Info and just to set the record straight I did pay for the Kit! As a matter of fact I paid as much as most that received some of the first Kits so there you go again yappin those Jaws not knowing a damn thing! What, You have a high boost twin turbo setup on your motor mouth?? And just because you know how to post "HARD TECHNICAL FACTUAL DATA" From your hack job don't mean the info can't be improved by someone that knows what they are doing. Others have posted their data and suggestions to help out a fellow Member so that he may move forward. That is the point of a Forum but with your agenda with the other companies you will just say something stupid again after I post this!
Go ahead! Diarrhea of the mouth sometimes causes S.... words to keep falling out!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Papi for your Info and just to set the record straight I did pay for the Kit! As a matter of fact I paid as much as most that received some of the first Kits so there you go again yappin those Jaws not knowing a damn thing! What, You have a high boost twin turbo setup on your motor mouth?? And just because you know how to post "HARD TECHNICAL FACTUAL DATA" From your hack job don't mean the info can't be improved by someone that knows what they are doing. Others have posted their data and suggestions to help out a fellow Member so that he may move forward. That is the point of a Forum but with your agenda with the other companies you will just say something stupid again after I post this!
Go ahead! Diarrhea of the mouth sometimes causes S.... words to keep falling out!
Ok..Ok...You got me..that why Rick Squires and I exchanged about 100 Emails when he was tuning your car. He couldnt figure out, that why the A/F leaned out to 13.0+ when he raised the boost past 4 psi, on a STOCK FUEL PUMP (Thats right pal, Rick didnt know he had to upgrade the fuel pump, hope you feel really safe and confident in your tuners abilities, considering he must have ran your car 13.5 and leaner A/F's when trying to figure out that the Z needed a Walbro 255LPH..Who do you think supplied him with the UTEC and the Injectors and the FEUL PUMP? PAPI.. In fact, Rick couldnt even set up the parameters properly on the UTEC and thought it was a bad unit and sent it back to Turbo XS.. 99.9% of the time the UTEC issues are user error, like when people like Rick dont know what they are doing.

Your car is slow, it does not make legiitmate power, and you have yet to post LEGITIMATE dyno sheets..

Now please leave me alone, and go back to sucking on the STS TiT, till the day your car blows up from heat soaked detonation...And poor tuning..

Please do not respond, and make me make you and STS look even more stupid than you already look, by posting the numerous emails from RICK, in which he had no clue how to tune the Z, and i had to learned him sum stuff, on that fancy new email thingamajiggy...Git R DONE!!

PS, Please stop calling me PAPI, Im not mexican and I'm not your daddy...

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 05-25-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i gotta admit that papi comment made me laugh my *** off though J

But seriously subzero, Julian is right that the kit just is not good enough with the VQ at this point to properly raise boost on a build block. Yo keep knocking julian down yet you are not providing any real good data to refuse his findings, other than "my car is running well" which is weak because you are not tryign to raise the boost. All this trouble with the temps are a direct cause of the piping not being designed for higher boost levels. You cant just bring "other cars do this" with out something to show for on the VQ.
Just like TN i think this kit should stay for what it was designed for which is just for low boost levels on the stock block. All this "holding boost" problems are exclusive of this kit on the vq at this point.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 05-25-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Sub zero

Ok..Ok...You got me..that why Rick Squires and I exchanged about 100 Emails when he was tuning your car. He couldnt figure out, that why the A/F leaned out to 13.0+ when he raised the boost past 4 psi, on a STOCK FUEL PUMP (Thats right pal, Rick didnt know he had to upgrade the fuel pump, hope you feel really safe and confident in your tuners abilities, considering he must have ran your car 13.5 and leaner A/F's when trying to figure out that the Z needed a Walbro 255LPH..Who do you think supplied him with the UTEC and the Injectors and the FEUL PUMP? PAPI.. In fact, Rick couldnt even set up the parameters properly on the UTEC and thought it was a bad unit and sent it back to Turbo XS.. 99.9% of the time the UTEC issues are user error, like when people like Rick dont know what they are doing.

Your car is slow, it does not make legiitmate power, and you have yet to post LEGITIMATE dyno sheets..

Now please leave me alone, and go back to sucking on the STS TiT, till the day your car blows up from heat soaked detonation...And poor tuning..

Please do not respond, and make me make you and STS look even more stupid than you already look, by posting the numerous emails from RICK, in which he had no clue how to tune the Z, and i had to learned him sum stuff, on that fancy new email thingamajiggy...Git R DONE!!

PS, Please stop calling me PAPI, Im not mexican and I'm not your daddy...
Built Motor or not he should be making good power without issues! You keep reffering to a single install that you can't figure out and that means that you are the GURU?!?! It's evident that you have some sort of ADD and you talk about everything else but what this thread was intended for and you keep taking it away from that. Like I said it's pointless with you.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

This thread should be named Sts fails....
Old 05-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Built Motor or not he should be making good power without issues! You keep reffering to a single install that you can't figure out and that means that you are the GURU?!?! It's evident that you have some sort of ADD and you talk about everything else but what this thread was intended for and you keep taking it away from that. Like I said it's pointless with you.
#1) We were the first ones aside from you car to install an STS kit on a VQ. and a G35 at that..We thought the idea seemed good, in theory...But the kit just wont make legitimate power efficiently and safely, IMHO.

#2) this thread was about issues the OP had with him feeling the STS kit, starved his motor of oil, by having to pump it to the rear of the car. We posted that we felt this was not the cas, but a case of contamination in the oil..

#3) your the one with A. D. D. since you simply refuse to answer or address any of my logical and factual posting, and retort only with calling me a HACK and your PAPI.. Trust me, I dont even know your mom, how could I be your PAPI?? Unless you want me to spank you, while you call me PAPI??

#4) If you were smart enough to realize the VQ motors PRO's and CON's you would quickly realize that heat soak, and detonation are its major enimies, more so than any Chevy or Ford Cast Iron motor that has had an STS turbo kit on it in the past..The open deck aluminum design makes for a very stout yet fragile motor..

Im gonna bet since Rick at STS didnt even know enough to put an upgraded fuel pump in the Z, that he never seen the inside of a VQ and its internals, and really has no back ground on building or tuning one..

The VQ motor does not fair well to heat, and high AITs. Both of which we were experiencing on Lewis's car..

We could have kept turning up the boost and dumping fuel in his car to make another 30-40 whp however we felt it was unsafe and no efficient to do so with the current configuration on his car...
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Sub zero

Well since you refuse to fix the Issues then like I said, Pointless!!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Well since you refuse to fix the Issues then like I said, Pointless!!
Please expound to me as what issues I refused to fix? Its now my job to redesign STS's products to actually WORK?

Im confused, your postings get shorter and shorter, I guess once backed into a corner with factual and accurate information presented agaisnt you, the only tactic left is to insult me and make uniformed and uneducated comments on my customer service...

I notice all of the other topic I discussed went ignored, and you resorted right back to typical ignorant fan boy bashing..

Good luck with your car..

Quick Reply: [STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?