Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

[STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM
goosegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub zero
Like I said Papa!! That sucks YOU failed! So you are telling me it's the Companies fault because you can't figure out a simple problem?!?! OOOKAY!!
I value everyone's opinions, but I would really not like to take this thread in a hostile direction. Julian spent a ton of time on the vehicle, and he has my respect for pouring effort into a platform he first convinced me into that he no longer have a true affinity for. I also appreciate all the constructive comments from other owners/testers of the STS setup, and really don't want anyone to get in a firefight over this.

It's no secret that I've had a ton of problems with this setup, and am now really starting to debate where to go from here. To my knowledge, I am the first with a fully-built motor pushing the limits of this system, and so far, am not very happy with the results.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 AM
athenG

/\ I did some edit on my other post but I'm really curious why would you get that kind of IAT in the middle of Spring? As far as I know you have all you Exhaust jethot coated so it should improve everything. In my edited post, my IAT was 41-47C based on Julian's post and this is pretty much as close as possible to your setup except my exhaust is not jet hot coated like yours. You know I do a lot of logging and do minor changes when needed on my A/F but my A/F has always been consistent so I'm really confuse why will Julian said those things. My local shop also did a minor tune and they never complained about how hard to tune the car.

We all know Julian doesn't like this kit but I have mad respect for his tuning ability, I'm just hoping he's not saying all of this just because he hate STS with a passion....

Edit:
The only thing different I can think off is that you are pushing 10psi and I'm only pushing 8psi but you have an upgraded turbo and FMIC which should flow better so IAT should not climb much compared to the stock turbo which is pretty much getting max around 10psi.

Last edited by athenG; 05-23-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goosegoose
I value everyone's opinions, but I would really not like to take this thread in a hostile direction. Julian spent a ton of time on the vehicle, and he has my respect for pouring effort into a platform he first convinced me into that he no longer have a true affinity for. I also appreciate all the constructive comments from other owners/testers of the STS setup, and really don't want anyone to get in a firefight over this.

It's no secret that I've had a ton of problems with this setup, and am now really starting to debate where to go from here. To my knowledge, I am the first with a fully-built motor pushing the limits of this system, and so far, am not very happy with the results.
And we value yours being that you are going through this so that's why we ask! I am not trying to take it there as I only asked YOU a simple question. It is obvious that there are some unresolved issues that still puncture someones heart so no matter what that person says it won't be good. If you are having issues then why don't you get with someone that can fix them because you are obviously not going anywhere with current Guy!! Sounds like that is where it's getting expensive. What Turbo are you running and what kind of power are you looking to make? They have Guys pushing 3000 + Hp on different vehicles so I'm sure they can help you! Hell their own car is a 2000 Hp Mustang in the 6's!!

Last edited by Sub zero; 05-23-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

No warranty? That's terrible, man.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo

The kit didn't fail it was his motor that failed...
Old 05-23-2008, 09:06 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Warranty? From Nissan on the motor or STS on the turbo? I don't think either is applicable.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Like I said Papa!! That sucks YOU failed! So you are telling me it's the Companies fault because you can't figure out a simple problem?!?! OOOKAY!!
Listen here Complete Zero..The kits sucks, and is not efficient at all..I didnt FAIL, the car makes power, just not as efficient as we would like..STS's design FAILS.Now go tell Rick I said that, since your the resident shop ***** for STS..
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

And we value yours being that you are going through this so that's why we ask! I am not trying to take it there as I only asked YOU a simple question. It is obvious that there are some unresolved issues that still puncture someones heart so no matter what that person says it won't be good.
This is 100% not the case. I have sepearated my personal dealings with STS and my customers in a professional manner. I spent an entire day dialing in the vehicle and not matter what we did, the car simply would not make respectable power that the owne wanted. We kept seeing either low inneficient, and very varialbe spool up rates on the turbo, or we would get very high AIT's that led picking up small knock counts..Some of the knock counts were false, some where true, but we never chance it with customers cars.
If you are having issues then why don't you get with someone that can fix them because you are obviously not going anywhere with current Guy!! Sounds like that is where it's getting expensive.
Just an FYI, we worked on his car 2 times since the install. The majority of his R&D that he has done for STS, has been at another shop closer to his home..

What Turbo are you running and what kind of power are you looking to make? They have Guys pushing 3000 + Hp on different vehicles so I'm sure they can help you! Hell their own car is a 2000 Hp Mustang in the 6's!!
those are full blown drag cars your reffering to, with liquid intercoolers and full race fuels, that are built to run a few months and be tron down and rebuilt. This guy owns a daily driver where that simply is not possible.

The problem is the turbo is so far from the motor, it takes a while to get the hot, high velocity exhaust gases to it, so that is spools well. By the time it spools up well you already heatsoked the shiit out of it...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I have never been a fan of the STS kits, this is a good example why
Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with George!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Sub zero

You just mad because you can't figure out a simple problem on a Kit you installed and hacked up, Obviously this is a dead end with you and it's a big waste of time! Fortunately you aren't installing them anymore so that you won't continue bumping your gums which is the only thing you're good at! All I was saying with the cars they have is that if someone is looking to make big power that it can be done successfully if you know what your doing. So maybe asking them for help on their product that they have sold thousands of world wide instead of you might be the better way to go since you keep degrading them like they don't know what they are doing.

Julian@MRC
"The problem is the turbo is so far from the motor, it takes a while to get the hot, high velocity exhaust gases to it, so that is spools well. By the time it spools up well you already heatsoked the shiit out of it..."

Your right Julian! Must be why it's taking you so long to figure out a simple problem! Must be the length of the nerves in your head and the amount of time it takes you to process the information from your brain to the stem with your big *** head so by the time you get it it's so full of hot air that the info just don't make sense!! I will be the big one and end this peacefully! You are right Julian! You are right!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

If you are arguing with Julian like you know the solution why dont you spit it out..........
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Sub zero

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
If you are arguing with Julian like you know the solution why dont you spit it out..........
Because i'm not going to do the job for him! If you know how to diagnose it should be easy! If he needs help diagnosing then he can call STS and they will help! He don't like em so why you think he having problems! My car runs fine that is all I know!!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Because i'm not going to do the job for him! If you know how to diagnose it should be easy! If he needs help diagnosing then he can call STS and they will help! He don't like em so why you think he having problems! My car runs fine that is all I know!!

Calm down killa... All them exclamation points not needed... Great point.. ur car runs.....
Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
athenG

Utec BCS is really not the best choice to ramp up the boost and yet maintain its consistensy. Ahsmo and Daniel both already made good result with a good EBC. Both was able to hit full boost on 1st gear and still able to hold boost without any big spike. Daniel even said he can hit any boost he want in any gear! Utec BCS is horrible and if you want to increase spool time then be prepared to get some boost spike. I can see that Goosegoose front OEM bumper is adding to the problem. Like I said I can be racing hard for 10 mins and my AIT will climb fast but once I give it a minute of cruising then I'm back to normal again.

I think if goosegoose does have a good EBC and a good flowing front bumper then the spool and heat soak problem will be solved. As an example, my local tuner did a minor tune on my car and did a lot of back to back to back pull and my AIT temp didn't even go past 20C (it was around 11C when he started). I know coz I removed the Temp Compensation in Utec (got them all to "0") and he took a short cut and added 9% on the 11C-20C area but left the other area to "0". I told him about the turbo warm up problem so he did a 4 straight dyno pull without any cool down and my A/F stayed mid 11's. If my AIT went pass 20C then I should've went lean as hell coz I have "0" on my 21C-30C Temp Compensation. I told him I'll adjust the temp compensation myself on the street. I even hit 400TQ (at 9psi and 3700rpm) in one of the pull but I told him to remove some timing at that area coz I'm afraid to have that much TQ. He even said to me, why!!!! you are not knocking at that area so you should be good...lol.

I also forgot to tell my local shop to stop the pull at around 6500rpm since I dont really make power after that so there is no point of reving my car all the way to 7000rpm, so all my pull went to redline (I have a Revup)
Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Enough of the bickering and BS from both parties. You both got your shots in.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Romey, no shots taken or intended, im simply having a technical discussion in regards to Lewis's set up and tune, and the discouraging results. I appologize for any LOW BLOWS I may have taken..I will keep it on topic and scientifical from this point so that the members of the VQ community may prosper from our learnings and advance foward.

Considering all of his piping was "HACKED" up, so well hacked in fact, STS copied our piping design on their future kits..
Also can you explain as to why, with an upgraded intercooler on his car, and the sheildied piping, he should no be experiencing the high AIT he is seeing..Especially with the larger turbo running at a fraction of its efficiency..

I know how to diagnose, and with AIT's as high as they are on his car, the diagnosis upon my evaluation would be one or more of the following

A) run about 12 dgrees of timing..(which would lead to extremely high EGT's thus melting his pistons)

B) Try a methenol/Alcohol injection kit to lower AIT's

C) Remove the kit and opt for a more efficent turbo kit design..

Considering we are not running a large displacement domestic engine made from solid cast iron here, the VQ's design is very different than the current domestic applications on the market.

The current domestics your reffering to can make 30whp from installing headers and exhausts, and your comparing them to an aluminum block with 2 liters less displacement, that is prone to heat soak, hot spots, and detonation. You can throw 4 lbs of boost at most Domestic engines on a stock fuel system and make 150-250 whp without breaking a sweat

Please expound as to the boost, and WHP levels your running on your car..

Then please show me 4 BACK TO BACK dyno pulls of your system in 70 degree weather with no cool down in between. Time them with a stop watch to show a 5-10 second interval to simulate REAL WRLD DRIVING CONDITIONS.

I do Not want just the highest HP level achieved on one pull after a one hour cool down period.. Then please post the UTEC Knock count logs and AIT's as well and prove me wrong..Please...

Here is a dyno from what i thought was the most inefficient turbo kit on the market, until now..
Name:  5-15-2008121402AM.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  207.1 KB

Ill even go one step further in the name of science and the VQ Community to set this issue straight in the interest in obtaining real life factual data. Without the in fluence of marketing Hype, friendships, sponsor obligations, and general "know it all" BS being spewed forth...

I am willing to DONATE FOR FREE, my TIME, and my DYNO, to LEWIS, and do 5 back to back consecutive dyno pulls from start to finish to compare ther results.
I will DATA LOG, and VIDEO TAPE th enetire process, and post my findings on this very forums to set the record straight..

Providing STS or other members of this community, pay for Lewis's GAS AND TOLLS to my facility, so he does not have to be out of pocket doing further R&D for STS..
How does that sound???

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 05-24-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
Utec BCS is really not the best choice to ramp up the boost and yet maintain its consistensy. Ahsmo and Daniel both already made good result with a good EBC. Both was able to hit full boost on 1st gear and still able to hold boost without any big spike. Daniel even said he can hit any boost he want in any gear! Utec BCS is horrible and if you want to increase spool time then be prepared to get some boost spike. I can see that Goosegoose front OEM bumper is adding to the problem. Like I said I can be racing hard for 10 mins and my AIT will climb fast but once I give it a minute of cruising then I'm back to normal again.

I think if goosegoose does have a good EBC and a good flowing front bumper then the spool and heat soak problem will be solved. As an example, my local tuner did a minor tune on my car and did a lot of back to back to back pull and my AIT temp didn't even go past 20C (it was around 11C when he started). I know coz I removed the Temp Compensation in Utec (got them all to "0") and he took a short cut and added 9% on the 11C-20C area but left the other area to "0". I told him about the turbo warm up problem so he did a 4 straight dyno pull without any cool down and my A/F stayed mid 11's. If my AIT went pass 20C then I should've went lean as hell coz I have "0" on my 21C-30C Temp Compensation. I told him I'll adjust the temp compensation myself on the street. I even hit 400TQ (at 9psi and 3700rpm) in one of the pull but I told him to remove some timing at that area coz I'm afraid to have that much TQ. He even said to me, why!!!! you are not knocking at that area so you should be good...lol.

I also forgot to tell my local shop to stop the pull at around 6500rpm since I dont really make power after that so there is no point of reving my car all the way to 7000rpm, so all my pull went to redline (I have a Revup)
Ok, then please explain the 4 different fluctuating boost levels on simple Wastegate pressure? The problem with the kit is the location of the turbo.. It takes a while for it to get hot enought to spool up efficiently with the exhaust gases..Unfortunately by the time it reaches optimal efficiency temperatures and spools up fast and consistant, it has become a hair dryer, blowing VERY HOT air..

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 05-24-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:31 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Sub zero

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
Romey, no shots taken or intended, im simply having a technical discussion in regards to Lewis's set up and tune, and the discouraging results. I appologize for any LOW BLOWS I may have taken..I will keep it on topic and scientifical from this point so that the members of the VQ community may prosper from our learnings and advance foward.

Considering all of his piping was "HACKED" up, so well hacked in fact, STS copied our piping design on their future kits..
Also can you explain as to why, with an upgraded intercooler on his car, and the sheildied piping, he should no be experiencing the high AIT he is seeing..Especially with the larger turbo running at a fraction of its efficiency..

I know how to diagnose, and with AIT's as high as they are on his car, the diagnosis upon my evaluation would be one or more of the following

A) run about 12 dgrees of timing..(which would lead to extremely high EGT's thus melting his pistons)

B) Try a methenol/Alcohol injection kit to lower AIT's

C) Remove the kit and opt for a more efficent turbo kit design..

Considering we are not running a large displacement domestic engine made from solid cast iron here, the VQ's design is very different than the current domestic applications on the market.

The current domestics your reffering to can make 30whp from installing headers and exhausts, and your comparing them to an aluminum block with 2 liters less displacement, that is prone to heat soak, hot spots, and detonation. You can throw 4 lbs of boost at most Domestic engines on a stock fuel system and make 150-250 whp without breaking a sweat

Please expound as to the boost, and WHP levels your running on your car..

Then please show me 4 BACK TO BACK dyno pulls of your system in 70 degree weather with no cool down in between. Time them with a stop watch to show a 5-10 second interval to simulate REAL WRLD DRIVING CONDITIONS.

I do Not want just the highest HP level achieved on one pull after a one hour cool down period.. Then please post the UTEC Knock count logs and AIT's as well and prove me wrong..Please...

Here is a dyno from what i thought was the most inefficient turbo kit on the market, until now..

Ill even go one step further in the name of science and the VQ Community to set this issue straight in the interest in obtaining real life factual data. Without the in fluence of marketing Hype, friendships, sponsor obligations, and general "know it all" BS being spewed forth...

I am willing to DONATE FOR FREE, my TIME, and my DYNO, to LEWIS, and do 5 back to back consecutive dyno pulls from start to finish to compare ther results.
I will DATA LOG, and VIDEO TAPE th enetire process, and post my findings on this very forums to set the record straight..

Providing STS or other members of this community, pay for Lewis's GAS AND TOLLS to my facility, so he does not have to be out of pocket doing further R&D for STS..
How does that sound???
Hey congratulations!! You are finally doing something towards fixing the problem instead of making it worse. CHEERS MATE!!

Julian@MRC
"Romey, no shots taken or intended, im simply having a technical discussion in regards to Lewis's set up and tune, and the discouraging results. I appologize for any LOW BLOWS I may have taken..I will keep it on topic and scientifical from this point so that the members of the VQ community may prosper from our learnings and advance foward."

It turned Technical once you realized you got called to the carpet on it and you weren't doing anything positive to fix it! Instead blaming STS for your failure and running your mouth not your car!!

Julian @MRC
"Considering all of his piping was "HACKED" up, so well hacked in fact, STS copied our piping design on their future kits..
Also can you explain as to why, with an upgraded intercooler on his car, and the sheildied piping, he should no be experiencing the high AIT he is seeing..Especially with the larger turbo running at a fraction of its efficiency.."

Realize one thing! The Center piping was your design, Then why did you design an insufficient setup? That's my problem with you Papa. I'm not going to do your research for you. You can call STS and get all that information because I am not R&D and I'm not going to waste my time just to satisfy your curiosity. Other people are running fine without the issues YOU are having so that means that something STS did is working and whatever you are doing FAILED!! Since you haven't installed a Kit since your hack job you really have no room to say anything because you are testing your own designed Kit. STS designs Kits so that they can run up to 5 psi without an Intercooler and have the option to upgrade from then on and be just fine! That is one thing the original piping did. There was so much perception with it though with the way that the side pipe would rub, Hit whatever that they had to fix the perception by going down the center. Now don't get me wrong and I will blatently say! The sidepipes are a pain in the *** because I still have them on my Car and the other Day I went to rack it and it took me 15 Mins just to get it up. But that is the only problem I have ever had with them and I am here in Utah where it's contruction all the F....N time and the roads are crap specially after winter. The 350Z Community wants a Kit that includes an Intercooler so they include it with the Center pipe Kit and is not even needed with the side pipes up to about 5 Psi or so. Too bad they had to fix a perception and now the sidepipes are no longer. Anyway they did notice about a 10 degree rise in temps which equals about 4Hp but with the Intercooler you will be fine! Utah in the summer hits 115 Degree temps because west of us is a dessert and the Bonneville salt flats and last year we BEAT THE HELL out of my car and 3 others Drifting and racing and stuff at the biggest track in the U.S. Miller Motorsports park in the middle of the dessert, Some of you might of seen the Video if not here it is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5wt5N26w0 and we never experienced those issues or saw those temperatures running 9.5 Psi on my car or the other heat creating V8's.

Julian@MRC
"I am willing to DONATE FOR FREE, my TIME, and my DYNO, to LEWIS, and do 5 back to back consecutive dyno pulls from start to finish to compare ther results.

How does that sound???"

First of all fix the problems you created then do that. What are you trying to blow up the Car on purpose? Second of all you are doing R&D for yourself, STS was done wit yo *** a long *** time ago so I don't know where you're getting you will be doing further R&D for them.

Quick Reply: [STS] Engine Failure - Failed OEM Oil Pump?