Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction for Noobs....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 PM
znelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 G35 Coupe Turbo Help

I am currently looking at two separate kits and would like some opinions, feedback, and possibly some personal experiences regarding them. Thank you in advance for your comments!

The greddy kit has as follows:
2x TD05H-18G Turbos, Front Mount Intercooler, 2x cast-iron manifolds, 2x ext. Type T wastegates, e-manage & 6x 440cc inj., 2x Airinx AY-SB, piping & necessary hardware.

The SFR kit has as follows:
(2) T3/T4 60-1 Hi-Fi Turbonetics Turbos
(2) 304SS Equal Length Tubular Manifolds
(2) 304SS Stainless Downpipes
(2) Tial 38mm Wastegates
Synapse BOV
Oil Scavenge Pump & Install Kit
Aluminum Oil Sump
Bell Front Mount Intercooler
Aluminum Intercooler Piping
Pre Tuned Split Second FTC ECU
(6) 440cc Drop In Injectors
Walbro In-Tank High Flow Fuel Pump
Aluminum Intake Piping
Twin K&N Air Filters
Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams
All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

What would be the pros and cons for choosing one over the other? the SFR kit is about $2,000 cheaper than the greddy. Not too concerned about that, I'm more concerned about the performance and getting the most bang for my buck. Again, thank you for the help!

Last edited by znelly; 09-12-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The SFR kit has big *** turbo's that you probably won't ever come close to really pushing them. The 20G kit turbo's while not small, won't be as much 'wasted' capability.

If you go built motor, I'd personally go with the SFR kit just to know that turbo capability would never be my issue, more clutch, and underlying motor/fuel/etc limitations being the limiters.

Also the 20G Greddy kit comes with open dumps, and that is loud as all hell, you'll need to get those recirculated to not sound like a drag car under boost. Not sure if the SFR kit is recirculated or not out of the box.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Chris788

Great post. As a *** it helpted a lot
Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by jaay.96
Hi there, I am a fairly new owner of my 04 Base model Nissan 350z and ready to make some changes.

I have been eyeballing T3/T4 Twin Turbo Charger Kit For 350Z Nismo V6 on ebay. If I go with this kit, what else would I need to purchase? An intercooler? Fuel system? Manifold + downpipe? ECU tuning? Fuel injectors? etc etc.

Please keep in mind that I have a budget of $3,000.00 on this plan alone. Your comments/support/feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you!
KID....
/

keep it N/A...that's just too cheap a price..and stop looking at EBAY turbo kits...
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris788
Great post. As a *** it helpted a lot
well, at least you are looking at decent turbo kits....and not ebay based lol

I personally like the open dump....for me doesn't kick in much on normal driving ..maybe cuase of lag due to big turbo, lol

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-03-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:57 PM
oneangrysir

Default Supercharger

I have a 2005 350z and I'm looking into Supercharging it. Does anybody know where I can find the best deal, a used one (in good condition), what other modifications need to be done and the best way to go about getting in it done?
Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

youre looking at about 10k if youre doing the work yourself. 3kish for a used set, injector, fuel pump, fuel line, upgraded clutch, tune, and if youre trying to lay the power down, youll need suspension mods, wider tires.then you have gauges that you will need, more guages more money. so you can run basic, or you can have a wide range of gauges that can cost over 2k. then depending if you want to piggy back on the stock ecu or a stand alone ecu, thats more money. base on your uneducated question, i doubt youre ready to boost your car.
The following users liked this post:
Cux350z (01-03-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 06:40 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by oneangrysir
I have a 2005 350z and I'm looking into Supercharging it. Does anybody know where I can find the best deal, a used one (in good condition), what other modifications need to be done and the best way to go about getting in it done?
I haven't seen many used SC on sale in Colorado, although they do come up from time-to-time. But a "good deal" really depends on your level of expertise and needs. As for other modifications, I'd suggest rebuilding the shortblock with forged pistons, rods and bearings for trouble-free running. Depending on where you live in Colorado, there are a few shops that have done FI VQs.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 PM
SoCal_VQ

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your car is stock then forget about supercharging your car. Start off with intake/exhaust bolt ons, upgraded clutch/flywheel and tune. Don't forget about a set of wide wheels. Then get you a/f gauges. Then once you got all that on your car, order you a sc kit and go from there.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 PM
oneangrysir

I already have the exhaust, intake, wide tires and clutch/flywheel on the way. Should I still get the tune before the SC install considering I will have to tune again after the fact?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:29 PM
SoCal_VQ

Originally Posted by oneangrysir
I already have the exhaust, intake, wide tires and clutch/flywheel on the way. Should I still get the tune before the SC install considering I will have to tune again after the fact?
At this point probably wait till you get the sc installed and tune. But definitely tow your car to the tuner.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 PM
oneangrysir

Originally Posted by SoCal_VQ
At this point probably wait till you get the sc installed and tune. But definitely tow your car to the tuner.
Oh yeah! For sure! Thanks for the info!
Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

if your car is stock then forget about supercharging your car. Start off with intake/exhaust bolt ons, upgraded clutch/flywheel and tune. Don't forget about a set of wide wheels. Then get you a/f gauges. Then once you got all that on your car, order you a sc kit and go from there.
OP, while i feel you are a dreamer, i will caution you to not follow this guys advice.

Intake would be a waste of money on a SC...whichever kit you buy will provide new piping and youll be tossing your intake

Tune while NA...don't waste your time or money

Towing to the tuner...no. You need to drive that car around for a bit prior to going to the tuner. You need to make sure all oil systems, coolant systems and fuel systems are good to go. Then drive that car to the tuner. Just keep it under 3000k rpm and moderate throttle and youll be ok. Depending on the kit you buy you can remove the drive belt for the SC to make sure you don't get into any real boost.

Tuners and Tuner shops do not want your car to fall apart on their dyno. Find the problems first and then fix them and get a tune.

What ECU? Please do not go with UPREV.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cux350z:
BigBlue (01-03-2016), turboed350z (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:18 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by Cux350z
OP, while i feel you are a dreamer, i will caution you to not follow this guys advice.

Intake would be a waste of money on a SC...whichever kit you buy will provide new piping and youll be tossing your intake

Tune while NA...don't waste your time or money

Towing to the tuner...no. You need to drive that car around for a bit prior to going to the tuner. You need to make sure all oil systems, coolant systems and fuel systems are good to go. Then drive that car to the tuner. Just keep it under 3000k rpm and moderate throttle and youll be ok. Depending on the kit you buy you can remove the drive belt for the SC to make sure you don't get into any real boost.

Tuners and Tuner shops do not want your car to fall apart on their dyno. Find the problems first and then fix them and get a tune.

What ECU? Please do not go with UPREV.
agree, op is most likely a dream, probably why he even takes socal_vq advice serious haha
Old 01-03-2016, 01:38 PM
SoCal_VQ

listen. You two obviously cannot read between the lines. When I said intake that's referring to everything on the intake side (spacer, mrev2) not just the tube. And it would be wise to do all your exhaust side mods as well and tune. Since you'll have to get the software (uprev) anyways once you eventually go through with a supercharger. Bottom line here is prep your car for a sc, don't just go from stock to boost. It will be too much all at once. Build up gradually. It will work out better especially if it's your dd.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:09 PM
turboed350z

listen. You two obviously cannot read between the lines. When I said intake that's referring to everything on the intake side (spacer, mrev2) not just the tube. And it would be wise to do all your exhaust side mods as well and tune. Since you'll have to get the software (uprev) anyways once you eventually go through with a supercharger. Bottom line here is prep your car for a sc, don't just go from stock to boost. It will be too much all at once. Build up gradually. It will work out better especially if it's your dd.

Also cost more than to do it all at once.. but you know... who even actually listen to what you have to say anyways lol

Last edited by turboed350z; 01-03-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:50 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

If you get the Stillen V3 kit like I did it comes with intake, uprev tuning, initial SC tune for their kit, etc., so you have a basic tune at the point of install, before the car is even started with the kit installed. No need to get the car to a tuner asap because you will have the uprev disc and can install your first sc tune in a couple of minutes, make logs from their and then Stillen will get it dialed in. Good luck. *kit also comes with bigger injectors, heat exchanger, intercooler inside of the new manifold and it all has it's own separate coolant system (electric pump).

* Some good advice from some of the guys above this post; to do a good job with the sc install, labor, parts will cost thousands of bucks. I'd agree with some that already said to focus more right now on suspension, clutch/flywheel, brakes, wheels. Then when you can afford it move on to the SC project.

Last edited by BigBlue; 01-03-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:31 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue
If you get the Stillen V3 kit like I did it comes with intake, uprev tuning, initial SC tune for their kit, etc., so you have a basic tune at the point of install, before the car is even started with the kit installed. No need to get the car to a tuner asap because you will have the uprev disc and can install your first sc tune in a couple of minutes, make logs from their and then Stillen will get it dialed in. Good luck. *kit also comes with bigger injectors, heat exchanger, intercooler inside of the new manifold and it all has it's own separate coolant system (electric pump).

* Some good advice from some of the guys above this post; to do a good job with the sc install, labor, parts will cost thousands of bucks. I'd agree with some that already said to focus more right now on suspension, clutch/flywheel, brakes, wheels. Then when you can afford it move on to the SC project.
Love your build!
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (01-19-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 04:55 AM
Thomas.

Sup guys, I did a bit of research (aka using google) and found that a BW S362 should be on par with GT35R (disregarding slightly slower spool). Anyone tried these turbos (for some reason found very little info on this forum)?

I'm going to run it low boost first with stock engine untill I build a spare DE engine.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Thomas.

another question: does absoulte pressure inside the tank affect the fuel pressure after the FPR (for stock fuel system)?