Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

--->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
App6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
here's all the info you need to know on DE and HR headgaskets and head bolts........

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...HEAD_BOLTS.pdf
Great post! Should come in handy.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by Alberto
What are your water temps cruising and after a pull or two?
I have not seen anything above 210 degrees (stock fan turn on) to this point and it has been 80-85 degrees outside... Cruising I am between 190-195. Stock cooling fans and stock thermostat. Just running Evans, AMS radiator, and Greddy surge tank. I will probably change over to the Nismo thermostat and trigger the stock fans at 185 as soon as the Nosmo comes off back order.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
This went wayyyyyy OT.. how bout some engine bay pics.....
I dont have any of the new setup... Let me see what I can do bro.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:44 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen

If your interested in a build like this I highly recommend "Modifed Auto desgin" The shop Joe works out of. When Joe works on a car he works on only one car at a time till its complete and he does all the work himself (doesn't give it to his hench men). What you get in service is second to none with incredible turn around time, so you don't have to wait 6 months for your motor build.
Thats the good thing about one guy working on your car, one guys know exactly what has been done!Peace!
And thats the reason why I call him the "Mad Scientist"

Joe....planning to go to twin pumps If yes, what powers do you think you could get?

I guess now that your assistant ( Luie ) is leaving the VQ...I guess I have to depend on you for info.

Great job as usual Joe.....keep the info coming.

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Riiight... You just had to make this thread about RA. Go douche up some other thread please.

Since when is it common knowledge that RA has been using HR motor head studs and head gaskets in their builds? This is the first time I have seen a post about someone using these HR parts in a DE build.

Yesterday's VRT employees/Today's RA cheerleaders FTL!!!

RudeG.....I can always depend on you to keep the RA boys in check

Last edited by XKR; 06-01-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by App6MT
Great post! Should come in handy.
no problem....I just had to find it on the JWT website. It seems the HR headbolts are significantly harder than the VQ35DE headbolts. 26 Rockwell up to 36 Rockwell is a good amount harder.

Ont he JWT paper, it shows basically a clamping force of about 77 ft-lb on each bolt.........How much torque did you apply to each of your bolts JKenefec?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by coachk
So this build is unique in a sense because he is using HR head gaskets and stock head studs. Is there something else that I'm missing that makes this build different from all the others?
I'm not asking this question to be disrespectful, I'm always interested in new things.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by XKR
And thats the reason why I call him the "Mad Scientist"

Joe....planning to go to twin pumps If yes, what powers do you think you could get?

I guess now that your assistant ( Luie ) is leaving the VQ...I guess I have to depend on you for info.

Great job as usual Joe.....keep the info coming.

RudeG.....I can always depend on you to keep the RA boys in check
Dude! Its Joe the "Mad Man" Kenefic.. not the mad scientist..LOL

I will still be here, and I belive Joe is snagging my CJM twin pumps.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by coachk
I'm not asking this question to be disrespectful, I'm always interested in new things.

There is nothing special about this build, RA builds thier motors this way, it just that everyone got "snowed" into thinking we needed sleeves expensive head gaskets ect.. (including myself). When anyone on here with no street cred posted about doing a build like this they got flamed. Now with Joe whos a sick builder who build a motor like this get on here, people then start to see the light. Nothing special here, its just before it wasn't "approved" by the major shops on the forum. Guess that going to change soon.

Thanks Joe for making your motors ALOT more affordable.

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 06-01-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of funny how in the last couple of years we went from wanting sleeved blocks with the latest and greatest aftermarket gaskets and head studs, to preferring un-sleeved blocks with stock Nissan head bolts and gaskets.

Maybe NOW is the time to pick up a used and abused 04-05 and do another turbo build
Old 06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Subscribing for long-term results at 19PSI.

-George
Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 PM
XKR

Dude! Its Joe the "Mad Man" Kenefic.. not the mad scientist..LOL

I will still be here, and I belive Joe is snagging my CJM twin pumps.
"Mad Man" .....thats it...I knew it was "Mad" something

I am just waiting to see what Joe can do with the twin pumps.

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Subscribing for long-term results at 19PSI.

-George
Do you have some input about 19psi's on this build George?

Last edited by XKR; 06-01-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:51 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by XKR
"Mad Man" .....thats it...I knew it was "Mad" something

I am just waiting to see what Joe can do with the twin pumps.
Before I consider making more power I need a longer duration camshaft, cosworth intake, as well as the twin pumps. You can see on the dyno chart as the power is turned up the torque curve drops off more than at lower power levels. This is due to back pressure. I can turn up the boost with just the twin pumps, but i think the gains will diminish with each pound of boost... I think the way to get around this is to go with a 272 or 280 duration cam and rev the motor to 8000rpm. This would bandaid fix the back pressure issue since I would not be increasing boost pressure that much more than 21-22psi.

Long story short I think these turbos have 750whp on the DD dyno with the above listed mods. We will find out soon enough!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Maybe I missed it, and if so, then reading pwns me, but what kind of injectors are you running, Joe?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

I think the OEM head gaskets are better than the other head gaskets that are currently available for the VQ, the HR head studs I think will be suitable for a 500rwhp or less build. I just cannot see a head stud that was designed for a ~250rwhp motor lasting very long at 600-700rwhp and 19PSI of boost. Keep in mind I am talking about longevity, not "will it work".

For example, EVO OEM head studs are TTY as well, and do great up to a certain power level were they need to be replaced with something better. Nice thing on a EVO is that if you blow a head gasket its not such a big job as it is on our cars.

Hopefully Joe will prove me wrong but I have my reservations to as how long it will be before these head studs "give" at 19+ PSI of boost.

Maybe one day there will be a ARP 14mm head stud that is TTY, now that would be the ticket

Good luck Joe, and your car is looking mean!

-George
Old 06-01-2008, 03:16 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by jkenefic
Before I consider making more power I need a longer duration camshaft, cosworth intake, as well as the twin pumps. You can see on the dyno chart as the power is turned up the torque curve drops off more than at lower power levels. This is due to back pressure. I can turn up the boost with just the twin pumps, but i think the gains will diminish with each pound of boost... I think the way to get around this is to go with a 272 or 280 duration cam and rev the motor to 8000rpm. This would bandaid fix the back pressure issue since I would not be increasing boost pressure that much more than 21-22psi.

Long story short I think these turbos have 750whp on the DD dyno with the above listed mods. We will find out soon enough!
You answered my question....The reason I am watching what you do is because I have maxed out the 700BB...YOu were at Sharif's when he had my car on the dyno...at 19psi's it would build boost and then drop off but the TQ would climb. Yeah...I know, the intercooler on the car has to go.....and thats why I am also changing the turbo's. Its sad...I have the cjm twin pumps on the car know and I cant make use of them

Do you know much about the idle difference with the 272-280 vs what you have know?

Last edited by XKR; 06-01-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by George@GTM
I think the OEM head gaskets are better than the other head gaskets that are currently available for the VQ, the HR head studs I think will be suitable for a 500rwhp or less build. I just cannot see a head stud that was designed for a ~250rwhp motor lasting very long at 600-700rwhp and 19PSI of boost. Keep in mind I am talking about longevity, not "will it work".

For example, EVO OEM head studs are TTY as well, and do great up to a certain power level were they need to be replaced with something better. Nice thing on a EVO is that if you blow a head gasket its not such a big job as it is on our cars.

Hopefully Joe will prove me wrong but I have my reservations to as how long it will be before these head studs "give" at 19+ PSI of boost.

Maybe one day there will be a ARP 14mm head stud that is TTY, now that would be the ticket

Good luck Joe, and your car is looking mean!

-George

Thats just it even with the best components I dont know of anyone that has a built motor "longevity" that has posted on the forum. I dont mean dyno queen my car made 800hp but never drive it/I drive low boost all the time and maybe see redline once a month. Please show me a car that has lasted / reasonable amount of high mileage on a built motor?? NONE!
I can count on one hand the amount of people driving around with 19psi all the time.
Can you have a reliable 500hp Z??? Yes I think so
Can you have a reliable 600hp Z??? Hell no! Phuc no! No way!
I have proven that.

Look at all the cars that did the "top dawg" event the majority of them had some type of issue, whether big or small, they where issues.
I am not hating just stating facts that I have experience. Humm maybe Berto can chime in.

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 06-01-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
You answered my question....The reason I am watching what you do is because I have maxed out the 700BB...YOu were at Sharif's when he had my car on the dyno...at 19psi's it would build boost and then drop off but the TQ would climb. Yeah...I know, the intercooler on the car has to go.....and thats why I am also changing the turbo's. Its sad...I have the cjm twin pumps on the car know and I cant make use of them

Do you know much about the idle difference with the 272-280 vs what you have know?
I can tell you the 272 cams I have in my motor are pretty aggressive, and the idle is fine
Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Can you have a reliable 500hp Z??? Yes I think so
Can you have a reliable 600hp Z??? Hell no! Phuc no! No way!
I have proven that.

Look at all the cars that did the "top dawg" event the majority of them had some type of issue, whether big or small, they where issues.
I am not hating just stating facts that I have experience. Humm maybe Berto can chime in.
Hold up. If you want a reliable car, then get a Camry. Its my opinion that fast cars, to one degree or another are going to have little issues, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you about that. No 600whp (supra, cobra, Z, Ferrari, etc.) is going to run like a Swiss watch 100% percent of the time. What we're talking about here is stuff that is integral to an engines performance (the HG's), not about a stupid coupling coming off.

The issues at the top dog event were entirely related to ancillary parts of the car. As far as the main components, engine, drivetrain, etc all held up fine, and I would know.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
Hold up. If you want a reliable car, then get a Camry. Its my opinion that fast cars, to one degree or another are going to have little issues, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you about that. No 600whp (supra, cobra, Z, Ferrari, etc.) is going to run like a Swiss watch 100% percent of the time. What we're talking about here is stuff that is integral to an engines performance (the HG's), not about a stupid coupling coming off.

The issues at the top dog event were entirely related to ancillary parts of the car. As far as the main components, engine, drivetrain, etc all held up fine, and I would know.

Its all the same chit in my book. "reliability"

When you turn up the boost you'll see what I am talking about.

Back OT!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM
XKR

Sorry Joe....small OT.....James....everything fixed up?

Quick Reply: --->jkenefic version 3.0 build<---