Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AAM Exhaust RANT

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
minus500
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think anyone can argue with that. It's obvious to anyone that the section over the sway was heated with a torch and hammered in. The exhaust would be perfect if it wasn't for the bad fitment. I have yet to hear an exhaust that sounded like this. Also, I think Mike has let some of the old employees go and changed a few things around so again lets see what happens. It seems like Mike has turned things around and there are definitely some qualified people working there(Frank FTMFW!).

Last edited by minus500; 06-02-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rr_z33
sent a message back to mike today.
i took it to another shop to get a second opinion.
the person that installed my exhaust is a close friend of mines and i was personally there so i know he spent that long trying to put it on. his dad is a 20yr ASE certified mechanic. he also had a look at it and said it wasnt a great fit. anyway hopefully this issue will be resolved. i think i was in the batch before they figured out the new production technique. i did find a driveshaft luckily. $400 with two day air. so that was good news.
Exhaust is a very easy mod, anyone with a 14mm wrench can do it.
Even if the Y pipe or cats have been changed out, if they worked fine WITH the stock exhaust they should work fine with the new exhaust.

I can't figure out why some people are saying to get it checked by an expert. that's such BS. it either bolts up or it doesn't.

we'll see how this turns out, I've talked with the guys at AAM in person and they seem like nice people, however they've yet to play with my money so I can't say anything good or bad about the shop, I can only base things off of post like this one.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by minus500
Its not a matter of headers, turbos, or manifolds. It's just poor fitment plain and simple. Mine was installed at their shop and the guy who modified their 350Z exhaust decided that it would be better to dent in the rear section for it to clear the sway bar instead of actually make it fit correctly. This was 4 days after it left the shop. Pictures are worth 1000 words. Here ya go.
do the eibach sways have a different shape, or are thicker than stock? most exhausts are designed with stock sways and with no under braces.

but you already knew that I am sure
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
minus500
Banned

Originally Posted by Motormouth
do the eibach sways have a different shape, or are thicker than stock? most exhausts are designed with stock sways and with no under braces.

but you already knew that I am sure
Thats the thing, they sit even lower than the stock ones making it easier to clear a large exhaust. This was just someone who didn't know what they were doing.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Motormouth
Banned

hahaha!!! man does that suck!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
Only if they are installed by incompetent people lol.

Yeah! Thats why I drove all the way from NC to have them (AAM) reinstall my chit and by the time I got home it was rattling and burnt half way thru my bumper.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Yeah! Thats why I drove all the way from NC to have them (AAM) reinstall my chit and by the time I got home it was rattling and burnt half way thru my bumper.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen

that's...suck..
Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 PM
kaminariZ

i think AAM is a joke personally as well. a couple of my friends here had the same problems. Not only that, but they are marked up beyond belief. They use all vibrant components...resonators and mufflers. the exhaust cost them no more than 700 bucks to build. to double that, and than add 200 bucks for the burnt titanium tips? i'd rather go to an exhaust shop and buy pieces myself and get it built on my car.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM
thefireboy

hmm well thanks for the compliments the car is coming along nicely and AAM has done an awesome job.. if you are willing to work with them and talk to them and not be a dick yes they will help you anyway they can.....
bryce your car is looking awesome aswell
Old 06-02-2008, 10:11 PM
minus500
Banned

Originally Posted by kaminariZ
i think AAM is a joke personally as well. a couple of my friends here had the same problems. Not only that, but they are marked up beyond belief. They use all vibrant components...resonators and mufflers. the exhaust cost them no more than 700 bucks to build. to double that, and than add 200 bucks for the burnt titanium tips? i'd rather go to an exhaust shop and buy pieces myself and get it built on my car.
You can't really say the because the APS 3" is even more $$ and the HKS Hi Power is about the same amount with smaller piping. The only downside is the fit. The Vibrant components do produce a heavenly note though.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only downside is the fit.
Right, and thats no big deal...

All this "have an 'expert' install it"; LOL - that is the lamest **** ever. Like jeffie said, it either bolts up or it don't, plain as that. I've put 3 aftermarket exhausts on my car over the years and I sure as hell didn't need any expert assistance for any of them.

It either fits or it doesn't.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:52 PM
minus500
Banned

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Right, and thats no big deal...

All this "have an 'expert' install it"; LOL - that is the lamest **** ever. Like jeffie said, it either bolts up or it don't, plain as that. I've put 3 aftermarket exhausts on my car over the years and I sure as hell didn't need any expert assistance for any of them.

It either fits or it doesn't.
Uhhh....yeah dude thats what i've been saying the whole thread. There shouldn't be any variance and there obviously is which is a big deal. It doesn't make a difference who installs it.
I can understand the argument about different test pipes, manifolds, etc etc creating a problem but you don't hear about fitment issues with the other popular exhausts.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 AM
rr_z33

Uhhh....yeah dude thats what i've been saying the whole thread. There shouldn't be any variance and there obviously is which is a big deal. It doesn't make a difference who installs it.
I can understand the argument about different test pipes, manifolds, etc etc creating a problem but you don't hear about fitment issues with the other popular exhausts.
+1 i paid 1500 shipped out to hawaii. paying a premium i kind of expect a good fit and dont think i should be having to go to an exhaust shop just to have them make adjustments to it. ill work with AAM hopefully we can get this issue out of the way. i was just fairly disappointed given my circumstances.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had this exhaust 4 a while and it was prob by far 1 of my Favs. I half to kinda hold my tongue bc I just recently sold it to another member lol. But fitment did SUCK and I had to spend a lot of money at my tuners shop bc it rubbed my sway bar. When I go FI I'm gonna use vibrant tips but a complete custome exhaust like Craig (Tuarran). His **** looks SICK!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by thefireboy
hmm well thanks for the compliments the car is coming along nicely and AAM has done an awesome job.. if you are willing to work with them and talk to them and not be a dick yes they will help you anyway they can.....
bryce your car is looking awesome aswell
Your posts are not relivant to the thread topic.

g37 forums are here:

http://myg37.com/forums/

I see where it looks like they dented the exhaust to make it fit the sway bar... there is a heat discoloration. At least its a quality dent

Last edited by mdracer76; 06-03-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=jeffie7]Exhaust is a very easy mod, anyone with a 14mm wrench can do it.

That's what i thought... Unless it's a completley custom exhaust then it should bolt on in under 1/2 hour.. when i went to MRC dyno day they must have threw some dudes exhaust on(turboxs) in like 20 minutes and had it on the dyno a few minutes after that... sounds like these are not mass produced..
Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No complaints here...I bought the car 10 months ago..AAM did the exhaust about a year ago from what I can tell from the receipts...

Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
matt240sx

Its not a matter of headers, turbos, or manifolds. It's just poor fitment plain and simple. Mine was installed at their shop and the guy who modified their 350Z exhaust decided that it would be better to dent in the rear section for it to clear the sway bar instead of actually make it fit correctly. This was 4 days after it left the shop. Pictures are worth 1000 words. Here ya go.
Nothing like taking a 3" exhaust and smashing it down to 2". It bet that side flows awsome
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
I had this exhaust 4 a while and it was prob by far 1 of my Favs. I half to kinda hold my tongue bc I just recently sold it to another member lol. But fitment did SUCK and I had to spend a lot of money at my tuners shop bc it rubbed my sway bar. When I go FI I'm gonna use vibrant tips but a complete custome exhaust like Craig (Tuarran). His **** looks SICK!!!!
that is what I did. Vibrant mufflers are very cheap.

the TI tipped canisters that AAm uses are around $170/pp retail (I use the same one)... they aren't cheap, but are very reasonable for the quality.

Quick Reply: AAM Exhaust RANT