Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is this a good deal? should i swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:59 PM
SweetDreamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal? should i swap?

So, I just picked up a Procharger kit for 3400 bucks and bought the 9psi pulleys...

I've been offered to do a straight trade for a TN single turbo kit with 600 miles on it.

I've already bought:

Haltech Platinum
Motordyne 5/16" Copper Iso
HKS Hi Power Ti
600cc Deatschwerks
Walbro

Would it be smart for me to trade up here? I really just want roughly 380-400 rwhp that IS NOT going to blow my motor which isn't built. I've heard about the issues with the TN kits. Just lookin for some input...
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 PM
QuicksilverZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every thing looks good but if you went with the tn kit you'd have to lose the hks exhuast or modify it...but I'de go with the TN kit...just my opinion
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
peaches05

if you want 380-400hp the tn kit would probably be the best.

^ +1 on the exhaust but it prolly cost to much to modify it if you wanted to stick with it. I just got done installing the tn kit on my car (I pick it up tommorrow from AAM, they did the tune) just make sure you heat wrap all the a/c lines excessivly and you should be alright.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM
SpoilsofWar

Unless there is something wrong with the Turbonetics kit in question (ie blown turbo, cracked pipes, etc), then you should do the trade no question.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 PM
350Z400rwhp

Trade it for the TN kit if you like torque and more power. Keep the supercharger if you want less risk of blowing your motor.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Who buys superchargers for Z anymore??? Just kidding... Read Nexx's thread... The mainstream is turbo yo~ get with the program...

Last edited by leeboyNY; 06-19-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

since u dont live in california go for the TN
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 AM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Trade it for the TN kit if you like torque and more power. Keep the supercharger if you want less risk of blowing your motor.

see, that is my biggest reason for asking...I read so many horror stories of stock blocks being anhilated by the TN kit...so I haven't really researched them lately.

It was going to be between Greddy Twins and a supercharger kit...and I did the supercharger cuz I founda good deal AND because it's easier to install/uninstall if i ever wanna unload it. Now this offer came up...and I just don't know enough about the TN kits to make a decision quickly...so was looking for assistance from the gurus here. I was going to install the supercharger this weekend...but won't if this is a deal i should jump on.

I also don't really like the idea of having to switch exhausts again, or modify mine...so maybe i'll just stay supercharged...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Do not buy a boost controller and you'll be fine, blocks blowing up b/c addicts turning it up. I can personally vouch for the kit, purchased brand new from turbonetics and seller is a straight up guy. I would trade in a heart beat, my SC lasted me 4 months and I had to upgrade due to LACK of TQ. Good luck man
Old 06-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

is the procharger kit used as well? if so, I would just get my 3400 bucks back and get the greddy tt setup when I could get the remaining funds together.

If you are definitely sticking with one of the kits, I would personally have a hard time deciding. I don't care for superchargers, and I think the TN kit is junk. I honestly don't know what I would choose.... I guess out of the two would probably would go with TN, but being used doesn't make it sound too appealing
Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Kal_El

I would do what Zivman said. Sell it all and wait for a good deal on a TT setup, unless you feel you will be happy with the output of the SC kit. Many members that went that route ended up going twin anyway, it would save you a lot of money to wait for the TT setup.

since u dont live in california go for the TN
GO FI DAN!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Chudson coupe

I have the TN, and I am extremely happy with it. No A/C issues, I'm running on the reflash, so I could squeeze more power out if I decide to pony up and get it tuned haha. The only downside is that I desperately want to turn up the boost, but know I shouldnt on the stock block. The TN kit is not junk, it just doesn't have the potential of the other turbo kits. If you want 400whp, you won't be dissapointed with the TN if you have an exhaust, and get a tune, possibly bigger injectors too. Just remember, any type of FI can be un safe on a stock block.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the biggest thing about the TN kit to me is the intake temps are the hottest of any F/I kit out there. that alone would scare me off.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

sell me the haltech and go with the turbonetics kit, lol.

All you need is the utec, I could hook you up!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by craigo'sznprgrs
sell me the haltech and go with the turbonetics kit, lol.

All you need is the utec, I could hook you up!

haha...no matter what I get, i'll be using the haltech. Hal at IP has been AWESOME about working with me and answering my questions...on multiple occasions. I would recommend him to ANYONE so far...now just can't wait to see what he can do w/ my car when I bring it to him!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just curious as to why you would spend over 2000$ on a EMS and then run a kit that needs no more than a split second box?

You could easily sell the Haltech and the blower and get the twins and a standard EMS solution and be TONS happier!!

Right now your 2 choices are essentially the bottom feeders of FI amd no matter when EMS you have, you still cant go much over 400hp. Haltech cant do anything about that except charge you alot for a simple tune.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 PM
SweetDreamZ

Originally Posted by str8dum1
just curious as to why you would spend over 2000$ on a EMS and then run a kit that needs no more than a split second box?

You could easily sell the Haltech and the blower and get the twins and a standard EMS solution and be TONS happier!!

Right now your 2 choices are essentially the bottom feeders of FI amd no matter when EMS you have, you still cant go much over 400hp. Haltech cant do anything about that except charge you alot for a simple tune.

Well, if you've done any reading on the other EMS solutions out there...you know full well that many of them end up w/ cold start or hot start issues...and all around poor driveability due to relying upon the stock ecu. So, to maintain the best driveability, while also planning ahead for whatever I throw at the car in the future, i splurged here. I have bought almost ALL of the parts used. Why? so that when the motor does go, as it probably will since FI on the Z motor is so unreliable, I can build and go all out w/ twins or whatever I want...and not lose much on every part i have to hand off. Not to mention that this will pull timing for knocking...and just give a lot more protection overall...the benefits are endless...

As far as how much the tune is costing me for the haltech...there isn't much difference between it and the UTEC...for tuning costs. Big cost is the up front purchase price.

Anyways, the point is...i don't have the money to build the motor and go all out on twin turbo at this point. however, i do have enough to go FI and splurge a lil bit on the EMS. When the time comes...maybe I will go TT on a built motor...and at that point, i'm nearly ready.

Now, to end this thread...i'm sticking with the supercharger. I think a 9psi procharger will tie me over for a while. If it lasts a year...it'll have served its purpose for me.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by str8dum1
Except that GTM made 500+ rwhp with a TN kit and an FCon...

EMS has a lot to do with how much power you're going to make, especially how much power you're going to make SAFELY. He has a stock block.

Ditch the procharger if its an even trade, there is no reason to keep it over a turbonetics kit.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ ya and that still doesnt matter if the physical limitations of the rods are ~400 hp. a tuned Haltech wont be any safer than a tuned UTEC at physical limits of the con-rods (esp since the price difference is just a few hundred bucks shy of a built short block)

SDZ, the blower will be fun. Be interesting to see if tuning the cam timing will boost your low end torque significantly. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

dont trade

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? should i swap?