Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Twin Turbo Build is Under Way

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:26 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was actually pleasnatly surprised with the weight of my G.

With me in it and about 7 gallons of fuel it was 3655 (I was like 230 at the time). Thought it would be 3600 without me in it.

tom

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
I haven't weighed it yet, but its not light. I figure between the twin turbo setup, the intercooler, the two oil coolers and and the extra chassis braces, I must have added at least 150 lbs to the weight. The Seibon hood saved about 8 lbs (not much). The main reason I added it was to help vent hot air out of the engine compartment.

Once I get the racing seats and ditch the spare tire, this should help shed just about the same amount of weight I have added with the other mods. Carbon Figer fenders won't help save too much, but if I ever make it a track only car, I'll go with Carbon Fiber doors. That will save alot of weight, but I wouldn't want to drive around with them on the street just in case some fool runs into the side of me while I have my wife or one of my kids in the passenger seat.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thom000001
I was actually pleasnatly surprised with the weight of my G.

With me in it and about 7 gallons of fuel it was 3655 (I was like 230 at the time). Thought it would be 3600 without me in it.

tom
Do you have the stock seats or racing seats? Have you performed any weight reduction?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
thom000001

Stock seats. Haven't done anything for weight reduction....rollin phat

Do you have the stock seats or racing seats? Have you performed any weight reduction?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Although my Greddy TT kit has not yet sold, I have decided to move to a GTM Stage 3 TT kit with a .64 A/R.

Yes, I am really, really going to miss the Greddys, but since I am moving toward making this a road course car, I will feel more comfortable with having water-cooled tubos given the duration of time that I will be pushing the turbos on the track. If I were a were using this car only for street and 1/4 mile use, I would have a hard time letting the Greddy's go. They have treated me very well!!! That said, in reviewing the GTM turbo kit, I am very impressed. GTM has really paid attention to details in designing their turbo kits.

Common consensus is that the ballbearing turbos should spool up faster, but the dyno graphs I have reviewed do not necessarily inidicate that this is always the case. Although Sam disagrees, I don't anticipate that the Garret GT3071R .64 A/R turbos will spool up as quick as my Greddys. I hope Sam proves me wrong!!!

Either way, I will start a new thread showing a comparison of my dyno graphs both with the Greddy TT kit and with the GTM kit. The build will be same, except that the Greddy dynos were run before I had the ceramic coating applied to the turbo housings, down pipes, etc. I will have the ceramic coating applied to the GTM kit as soon as it arrives. Also, my combustion chambers, valves, intake ports and exhaust ports are presently being ceramic coated by PolyDyne.

The GTM kit should push more air, so it may not be a completely fair comparison. Nonetheless, the Greddys got me over 600 RWHP on 93 octane (without meth or water injection). If the GTM kit does the same while being water-cooled, I will be very, very happy (assuming I improve, or at least do not lose too much, of the spool-up).

Updates will be coming ...

Also, I want to thank everyone who dealt with my zillions of questions regarding this decision, including Japtrix (of course), GT Mortorsports, Forged Performance, Sound Performance Racing, Speed Force Racing, JetPilot and XKR. I greatly agonized about whether to go with Cast Iron manifolds or Stainless Steel Headers. In the end, I decided on Cast Iron manifods as the safe bet for road racing. Again, if this were only for street or 1/4 mi. use, my decision likely would have been different (assuming I let the Greddy's go, which I probably would not have done anyway given my hp goals and their great performance).

Last edited by ttg35fort; 03-30-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Lawy'dU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^You would have been fine with the greddy turbo's. the BC car ran that setup for a season without any problems. I can't wait to see your setup complete.

Also, I just saw the pics of your wing and I in fact love it. Is it adjustable and do you have better pics of your car with the wing installed?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:30 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
^^^You would have been fine with the greddy turbo's. the BC car ran that setup for a season without any problems. I can't wait to see your setup complete.

Also, I just saw the pics of your wing and I in fact love it. Is it adjustable and do you have better pics of your car with the wing installed?
I only have the pics I posted. I have been intending on doing a nice photoshoot of the car once everything is complete. I just have not yet been able to get there. Soon though. I'm hoping to have it ready for Z days.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Terry - don't listen to anything this RA nuthugger has to say. I'm surprised he didn't recommend JWT500BB turbos, a SS box and some 500cc injectors to make the power you are looking for.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

read jet pilots thread...then come back and give your opinion
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Not So Short Update:

Although the Recarro dealer originally said they could make the Recaro Sportster CS seats to match my factory leather (Willow), at a premium of course, it turns out this was not the case and the order was cancelled.

After doing a little research, I found Arizen Racing Sports, who makes custom racing seats. I have on order two Arizen Racing model ST seats with the factory Willow leather (Cost to Coast Leather P/N EL104 Willow). These seats are 1/2 the cost of what I was quoted for the Recarros with custom leather. Luckily, I got the last two ST seats in stock. There will be more stock coming, but it will take some time. Price is $1795 FOR THE PAIR. The Custom covered Recarros were going to be that much for each seat!!! Here is the link to the Arizen Racing website:

http://www.arizenracingsports.com/

I ordered the mounting brackets for the seats from Wedge Engineering. These came to somewhere just over $200.

Also, since the engine is disassembled, I decided to go with direct port injection for the Meth system. I want to avoid blowing the endcaps off my Cosworth Plenum as eagletanggreen experenced, although XKR has not had a problem with this. I ordered the additional components from Dave at Coolingmist: http://www.coolingmist.com/.

The GTM Stage 3 (.64 A/R) turbo system is on order and, according to Sam, should ship this week. Also, South Florida Crank and Machine has promissed that the short block will ship this week (this is the same shop JetPilot used for his short block, and they come highly recommended by many others).

In addition, the car is at the body shop with the engine compartment being re-painted. I also gave them my fender roller to use to try to get a little more clearance out of the rear fenders. After my Toyo 305/30/19s wear out, I want to get a little more grip using 315/30/19s. Hopefully, by the time they need replacing, Toyo will have this size available.

I also ordered a MasterGrades TS style rear diffuser, which is supposed to fit a stock G35, from Eric (EricIsKlumzyee). Eric is going to test fit it with the CS style rear bumper and let me know whether it will fit properly. In coordination with the project that XKR and I have on the underbody design, we are going to add additional vanes to control the vorticies generated at the rear of the car, which should improve downforce and reduce drag.

Finally, on this revision of the build, I will be using the custom surge/swirl tank I designed and an external inline fuel pump. Since I have a beefy external in-line fuel pump, I am reverting from the SPR tripple pump in-tank hangar back to the stock in-tank swirl tank, but using a Walbro to feed the external surge/swirl tank. Also, I am going to drill additional holes in the stock swirl tank to improve fuel flow since the stock swirl tank has proven to be inadequate for me on the road course. Since it will no longer be needed, I will be selling my SPR tripple pump hangar if anyone is interested.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Nice update Terry - I thought I spent money like it was water, but you and XKR are putting me to shame .

Good luck on all your projects, nice to see they are coming along. Please put me at the top of the list for the tripple hanger, I just need a few more days to find out where I stand with my old components to determine what parts are needed and how much it will all cost. I will PM you as soon as I know - Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny how the recaro situation turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

awsome. thats the 3071 kit I am looking at getting as well. Will be great to see it done a g before hand. Espesically interested in how you have to move the AC lines to get the intake pipe thru the radiator support.

Did you get the BOV visible in the engine bay or hidden by the bumper further down on the pipes? That stealth kit that GTM made with the BOV behind the bumper was a sick sleeper.

good luck!

Not So Short Update:

The GTM Stage 3 (.64 A/R) turbo system is on order and, according to Sam, should ship this week.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
GreenGoblin

Nice update Terry, can you pm the info on the machine shop and a ball park of what they charged you.

Danny
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Nice update Terry, can you pm the info on the machine shop and a ball park of what they charged you.

Danny
South Florida Crank and Machine. PM sent.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
awsome. thats the 3071 kit I am looking at getting as well. Will be great to see it done a g before hand. Espesically interested in how you have to move the AC lines to get the intake pipe thru the radiator support.

Did you get the BOV visible in the engine bay or hidden by the bumper further down on the pipes? That stealth kit that GTM made with the BOV behind the bumper was a sick sleeper.

good luck!
I didn't ask about the BOV location. We'll see when it gets here.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
35Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ttg35fort;7175591]Not So Short Update:

Although the Recarro dealer originally said they could make the Recaro Sportster CS seats to match my factory leather (Willow), at a premium of course, it turns out this was not the case and the order was cancelled.

After doing a little research, I found Arizen Racing Sports, who makes custom racing seats. I have on order two Arizen Racing model ST seats with the factory Willow leather (Cost to Coast Leather P/N EL104 Willow). These seats are 1/2 the cost of what I was quoted for the Recarros with custom leather. Luckily, I got the last two ST seats in stock. There will be more stock coming, but it will take some time. Price is $1795 FOR THE PAIR. The Custom covered Recarros were going to be that much for each seat!!! Here is the link to the Arizen Racing website:

I ordered the mounting brackets for the seats from Wedge Engineering. These came to somewhere just over $200.

What does the seats weight? Are the seats approved for NASA/SCCA racing venues?

I also ordered a MasterGrades TS style rear diffuser, which is supposed to fit a stock G35, from Eric (EricIsKlumzyee). Eric is going to test fit it with the CS style rear bumper and let me know whether it will fit properly. In coordination with the project that XKR and I have on the underbody design, we are going to add additional vanes to control the vorticies generated at the rear of the car, which should improve downforce and reduce drag.

Any pics of the final design/material it was manufactured from?
Old 04-09-2009, 05:47 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

[QUOTE=35Z;7181429]
Not So Short Update:

What does the seats weight? Are the seats approved for NASA/SCCA racing venues?

Any pics of the final design/material it was manufactured from?
32 lbs. They aren't done yet so no pics. The leather matches almost perfectly, but it is solid, like the sides of the stock seats, not perferated like the middle of the stock seats.

I ran NASA HPDS at sebring with stock seats, and XKR has been running time attacks with his stock seats. I can't imagine they will have a problem with these seats, but I have not looked into it.

Call Mark at Arizen Racing Sports and he'll answer all of your questions. His tel. no. is on the web page I posted a link to.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:12 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I have updated the thread for the sale of my Greddy TT kit:

https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...st-system.html
Old 04-11-2009, 01:15 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I am currently looking for the display pop-up mechanism/parts for my 2003 G35. I think the technical name for these is the Navigation frame, Finisher and Switch. If anyone has these available for sale, please PM me a price.

Also, I am looking for an A/C vent that goes next to the center console (Driver's side if there is a difference), and the upper portion of the center console in Silver (I think all 2003 G35's had the silver center console).

Last edited by ttg35fort; 04-11-2009 at 02:07 PM.