Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

From Utec to Haltech

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperman
Where in KS are you? Ill be at Ft riley in a couple months
Damn Fort Riley that is where i was born........on the friggen base in 1959.Yes i know im old and back then it was a army air corp base.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
TinmansZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh thank goodness, someone on here that's older then me. No offense

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Damn Fort Riley that is where i was born........on the friggen base in 1959.Yes i know im old and back then it was a army air corp base.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by gothchick
I think ___jb went from Utec to Haltech. Seems pretty happy. Might try PMing him...
I have Osiris, but I never had a UTEC.

I am one of the many happy customers with a Haltech, though. It is a very nice piece of gear.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hot start issue with the UTEC. Its a pain in the *** in summer.

Have been wondering if the temperature compensation data was off.

Last edited by mchapman; 07-20-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mchapman
I have a hot start issue with the UTEC. Its a pain in the *** in summer.

Have been wondering if the temperature compensation data was off.
Murray
With todays weather you wont have a problem, it's bloody freezing
Old 07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by Nathan
Murray
With todays weather you wont have a problem, it's bloody freezing
Very true Peter!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the switch from the UTEC to the Haltech, and I cant honestly say Im happy at this point. My car hiccups twice as much on the Haltech as my UTEC did at the same boost levels. My Haltech also has a weird throttle issue where I will be driving casually and gun it, only to have the car not build boost and the revs not climb, the engine just stays at the same speed stuttering like my TB is failing. I have to let off the gas for seconds at a time to almost "reset" the throttle or something-that is what it feels like at least. I also have WOT hiccups that occur when gunning it starting from 5000rpm's or so. The most frustrating is the cruising A/F's that gradually get leaner and leaner eventually turning into sputtering and making me let off the gas then get back on it. I cant even set my cruise ciontrol the car hiccups like crazy.

This is the main reason why I havent really been driving my car at all this summer, it just hasnt been enjoyable and spending more $$$ at this time to make things right *again* doesnt seem like an option anymore. I did drive another Haltech on an almost identical setup that didnt experience so many issues. Maybe one day I'll have a car that runs the way it should.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Alberto, who is tuning the car??

That sounds terrible, the Haltech will drive like stock if setup and tuned appropriately. Let me know if you need help.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM
KPierson
Banned

Alberto I sent you a PM about your throttle issue.

I've been thinking about ditching the UTEC and going with something a little "better". I'm in the same boat as others though, it's hard to justify the price and time it will take to get it "right" when the UTEC, for the most part does an OK job now.

Does anyone know what used UTECs are going for these days???

Also, does the haltech have a boost controller built in? I need to get one since the UTEC boost controller is terrible at best (at least in my application). If the haltech has a built in boost controller that may be the motivation I need to make the switch!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:22 AM
athenG

/\ I think Haltech can control boost (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The question is how good is it?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ I think Haltech can control boost (someone correct me if I'm wrong). The question is how good is it?
Haltech Platinum does come with boost control, both open loop and closed loop. The closed loop is configurable unlike the UTEC, so you can dial it in to work perfectly in the event of any overshoot etc. Also, with the Haltech plug+play reading in wheel speeds and percent wheel slip, you can setup your boost off of those. For example: wastegate in lower gears, ramping in more boost as you approach interstate speeds where you can hook.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:33 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Haltech Platinum does come with boost control, both open loop and closed loop. The closed loop is configurable unlike the UTEC, so you can dial it in to work perfectly in the event of any overshoot etc. Also, with the Haltech plug+play reading in wheel speeds and percent wheel slip, you can setup your boost off of those. For example: wastegate in lower gears, ramping in more boost as you approach interstate speeds where you can hook.
I probably missed another post on this somewhere, but with the Haltech controlling boost, how do you adjust boost levels on the fly as with other electronic boost controllers? By that I mean is there an external switch available so you can change it without having a laptop plugged in and running the software?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I probably missed another post on this somewhere, but with the Haltech controlling boost, how do you adjust boost levels on the fly as with other electronic boost controllers? By that I mean is there an external switch available so you can change it without having a laptop plugged in and running the software?
To my knowledge this is not yet available per se, but I suppose you could get creative with a rotary **** and the single configurable user line input (map the user input voltage, adjustable via the ****, vs rpm with max boost as the cell data).

I have a car PC, with a touchscreen, so this hasn't really bothered me - I know there's a 32 in/out module due out sometime. Not sure if the AIM display can control boost...

Another alternative is to have your max PSI based on throttle position...
Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by Alberto
I did the switch from the UTEC to the Haltech, and I cant honestly say Im happy at this point. My car hiccups twice as much on the Haltech as my UTEC did at the same boost levels. My Haltech also has a weird throttle issue where I will be driving casually and gun it, only to have the car not build boost and the revs not climb, the engine just stays at the same speed stuttering like my TB is failing. I have to let off the gas for seconds at a time to almost "reset" the throttle or something-that is what it feels like at least. I also have WOT hiccups that occur when gunning it starting from 5000rpm's or so. The most frustrating is the cruising A/F's that gradually get leaner and leaner eventually turning into sputtering and making me let off the gas then get back on it. I cant even set my cruise ciontrol the car hiccups like crazy.

This is the main reason why I havent really been driving my car at all this summer, it just hasnt been enjoyable and spending more $$$ at this time to make things right *again* doesnt seem like an option anymore. I did drive another Haltech on an almost identical setup that didnt experience so many issues. Maybe one day I'll have a car that runs the way it should.
Are you sure it's the Haltech that's messing up, or maybe some other mechanical/electrical issue?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 AM
SweetDreamZ

I've never run the UTEC, but I can tell you that my Haltech setup runs just as good as the stock ECU did. Hal is definitely a wizard with this thing. I'm running 600cc injectors...and I tell ya what, It starts on the first try every time...no matter if it's hot or cold...and I NEVER have to blip the throttle. Clutch in, and start. From what i've read of the UTEC, I'm so glad I spent the extra money and went with it. Plus, with the customer support that Hal provides...you are never more than a phone call away from all the support you need!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Alberto, it sounds like closed loop is enabled and perhaps the O2 sensors are not working correctly. I would definitely PM Hal.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Alberto - You need to free up some PM space.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry guys, cleaned it out, I do not have a WB hooked up top the Haltech.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Also, with the Haltech plug+play reading in wheel speeds and percent wheel slip, you can setup your boost off of those. For example: wastegate in lower gears, ramping in more boost as you approach interstate speeds where you can hook.

So it has speed dependent boost control!!! One of my plan is to get an EBC like the EVC6 so I can set my boost on each gear. If the this feature actually works then chit, I might as well sell my Utec and upgrade to Haltech. Does Haltech has it's own BCS or we can use the one from Turboxs?

Last edited by athenG; 07-21-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Glex25

Originally Posted by Alberto

Wow that scares me cause I seem to have the same issue with the closed loop CEL's and having issues with startup, idle AFR and fuel cutoff @ 6700RPM. I'm running a PROEFI and was going to try the Haltech but I think I will just go back to the Utec for now. I'm getting the PROEFI pulled and putting the Utec back this week. I dealt with the same **** for almost 5 months already.

Quick Reply: From Utec to Haltech