Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

From Utec to Haltech

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
So it has speed dependent boost control!!! One of my plan is to get an EBC like the EVC6 so I can set my boost on each gear. If the this feature actually works then chit, I might as well sell my Utec and upgrade to Haltech. Does Haltech has it's own BCS or we can use the one from Turboxs?
It's better than speed dependent - it can work of wheel spin for true traction dependent boost control. (There is an incompatibility with some model G's right now - check with Hal - they should have a fix soon - this works for all Zs right now). You need a boost control solenoid (cycles on/off - Haltech supplies the signal).

Originally Posted by Alberto
Sorry guys, cleaned it out, I do not have a WB hooked up top the Haltech.
Alberto, you have an 03 with narrow bands stock? That would explain it. I would turn closed loop off - I think that is what Hal would recommend if you don't plan on running a wideband. I find my stock dual widebands (04.5 G35 coupe) control the AFR targets pretty darn well. I don't have quite as much power as you, but the car drives like stock (except for the noise level from the exhaust, fuel pump, and HKS injectors). PM Hal - he is a magician with this unit.

Originally Posted by Glex25
Wow that scares me cause I seem to have the same issue with the closed loop CEL's and having issues with startup, idle AFR and fuel cutoff @ 6700RPM. I'm running a PROEFI and was going to try the Haltech but I think I will just go back to the Utec for now. I'm getting the PROEFI pulled and putting the Utec back this week. I dealt with the same **** for almost 5 months already.
Have the ProEFI guys given up or are you just tired of tweaking? Do you have widebands for closed loop control? I think you'd be happy with the Haltech, but I've only had experience with (stock) widebands providing feedback...

Last edited by rcdash; 07-21-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
SweetDreamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
Alberto, you have an 03 with narrow bands stock? That would explain it. I would turn closed loop off - I think that is what Hal would recommend if you don't plan on running a wideband. I find my stock dual widebands (04.5 G35 coupe) control the AFR targets pretty darn well. I don't have quite as much power as you, but the car drives like stock (except for the noise level from the exhaust, fuel pump, and HKS injectors). PM Hal - he is a magician with this unit.

+1...if you don't have WBs, with a car like yours...why don't you just get them? I'm running dual WBs (which the haltech CAN control each bank independently)...there wasn't HUGE variation...but up to like 5% difference between banks...enough to think you've got it tuned for 11.5 but be breaking into the 12's!!!

anyways, with the WBs in closed loop...my car is running like a champ. Call up greg at Injected, they've got some wicked good deals on the Innovate WBs...they'll really take care of you!

Last edited by SweetDreamZ; 07-21-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 AM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is an 03 and with the stock NB sensors in closed loop it sucked. I turned closed loop off and all was well but economy was less. Fitted a WB and turned closed loop back on and runs a dream.

Also with my factory NB it would throw a CEL. Haltech modded the board for me and all is well.

Michael
Old 07-22-2008, 08:41 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
Also with my factory NB it would throw a CEL. Haltech modded the board for me and all is well.
What do you mean when you say Haltech modded the board for you?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 AM
TinmansZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
I did the switch from the UTEC to the Haltech, and I cant honestly say Im happy at this point. My car hiccups twice as much on the Haltech as my UTEC did at the same boost levels. My Haltech also has a weird throttle issue where I will be driving casually and gun it, only to have the car not build boost and the revs not climb, the engine just stays at the same speed stuttering like my TB is failing. I have to let off the gas for seconds at a time to almost "reset" the throttle or something-that is what it feels like at least. I also have WOT hiccups that occur when gunning it starting from 5000rpm's or so. The most frustrating is the cruising A/F's that gradually get leaner and leaner eventually turning into sputtering and making me let off the gas then get back on it. I cant even set my cruise ciontrol the car hiccups like crazy.

This is the main reason why I havent really been driving my car at all this summer, it just hasnt been enjoyable and spending more $$$ at this time to make things right *again* doesnt seem like an option anymore. I did drive another Haltech on an almost identical setup that didnt experience so many issues. Maybe one day I'll have a car that runs the way it should.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I recently got my car re tuned and it ran like a dream for about a week. Now my AF's are running way rich again and the car runs like ***.

For me I'm wondering if getting the ECU re flashed would make a difference. I'm guessing the ECU is trying to learn around the new tune and there for jacking things up? I don't know if thats true but something has changed and its not the utec tune.

I'm hoping a re flash, Hal and a Haltech will fix all my problems tune wise for good.

Good luck it sounds like there is some really good support on here for the Haltech, I had considered the Fcon Vpro, beings there is a shop close by that is able to install and tune it for me. But with the Fcon being locked, I'd be screwed if this local shop went **** up. Then I'd always have to trailor my car to a HKS Pro dealer. And that's probably along ways away.

I'm hoping to get it to Hal soon, and then in the future I can always have someone locally tweak it if needed.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
1ZweetZ

Wow that scares me cause I seem to have the same issue with the closed loop CEL's and having issues with startup, idle AFR and fuel cutoff @ 6700RPM. I'm running a PROEFI and was going to try the Haltech but I think I will just go back to the Utec for now. I'm getting the PROEFI pulled and putting the Utec back this week. I dealt with the same **** for almost 5 months already.
Your not going to get rid of o2 response codes with ANY aftermarket ecu. The stock ECU still controls the check engine light and has to go through it's readiness tests. The aftermarket ecu CAN NOT duplicate the factory readiness tests for O2 response time, especially at the same time the factory ecu is looking for the response under test conditions. As for the start up and idle issues, sounds like you need to address those with your tuner. I have been in several ProEFI cars, and swore they were stock. One guy I made pull out the ECU and show that it was in fact running on an aftermarket ECU... The ProEFI is the most impressive aftermarket ecu I have seen to date. Incredible stock like drivability, tons of options, O.E. quality. What more can you ask for. Can't wait til I can afford a turbo kit...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

Hello,

The issue with CEL's and aftermarket EMS's, is they will not go away. No aftermarket EMS has the capabilities to replicate the factory O2 check system.

I do not know the entire story but from what I was told about your start-up/idle AFR/ Fuel cutoff was you were asked to take your car back into your tuner to have it tweaked, but for somereason have not done so. We would love to help you get your issues corrected if you like. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sorry for the ProEFI OT in this Utec/Haltech thread. Glex, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
rcdash

^ a reflash is an option to get rid of the common CELs (mostly cam control and closed loop control). GTM offers this and I'm trying to see if UpRev can create one for Osiris. Will update the Osiris thread if it works...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^ a reflash is an option to get rid of the common CELs (mostly cam control and closed loop control). GTM offers this and I'm trying to see if UpRev can create one for Osiris. Will update the Osiris thread if it works...
^Good Point! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
1ZweetZ

A reflash won't get rid of the readiness tests for O2 response. Even if you could, the car would not be able to pass readiness tests for smog.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

werds thats pretty nice...
Raj, what else would you use the osiris for though(along with haltech let say)....i mean if getting rid of cels is the only goal for shelling 500+$ then i personally have no real use for reflash in this case other than a little annoyance of a harmless cel

about the other guy, he need to be more patient, and ovbiously listen to his tuner.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Raj, what else would you use the osiris for though(along with haltech let say)....i mean if getting rid of cels is the only goal for shelling 500+$ then i personally have no real use for reflash in this case other than a little annoyance of a harmless cel

about the other guy, he need to be more patient, and ovbiously listen to his tuner.
Idle adjustment (didn't really need with my S2 cams), speed limiter removal (ok didn't really need that either), Cipher for diagnosing and clearing codes (this is how I passed inspection the last time).

The reflash for fixing CELs is really the most valuable part if it works... I already had Cipher, which is invaluable as a dx tool, so it wasn't much more for Osiris. The UpRev folks did create a map with AFR targets that mimick my Haltech tune. It didn't help entirely with the closed loop CELs though. If I stay under 4k rpms, I can run several hundred miles without a CEL (this is how I passed inspection last year, with test pipes no less). Besides the cam timing differences will always throw a CEL in the mid to top end of the rpm range. Now I'm trying to just eliminate all the CELs I have logged over the last several months of driving.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-22-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
1ZweetZ

Exactly! Who cares about a CEL, when your making over double the factory hp!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
Exactly! Who cares about a CEL, when your making over double the factory hp!
1. Emissions / inspections.

2. A CEL sometimes provides important clues that something is wrong. It is nice to have it actually mean something when it lights up.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

In my case it helps i dont have to worry about emissions (its considered rural area lol )
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

I am not Raj, of course, but some kind of flash is necessary if you have a RevUp like I do and I think Raj does. The flash is useful to eliminate the throttling-off when the engine approaches redline and also the ability to bump/control the rev limiter. The rev limiter in a RevUp is controlled by drive-by-wire and none of the Engine Management Systems (that I know of) can change it.

I am also very curious about eliminating CEL codes via flashing the ECU. I know two of the big shops do it, they just won't say exactly what codes they eliminate.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by __jb
I am not Raj, of course, but some kind of flash is necessary if you have a RevUp like I do and I think Raj does. The flash is useful to eliminate the throttling-off when the engine approaches redline and also the ability to bump/control the rev limiter. The rev limiter in a RevUp is controlled by drive-by-wire and none of the Engine Management Systems (that I know of) can change it.

I am also very curious about eliminating CEL codes via flashing the ECU. I know two of the big shops do it, they just won't say exactly what codes they eliminate.

Oh i was curious too about eliminating cel codes, but its not worth 500 bucks to do so....

I am not really a fan of just jacking up idle rpms for unnecesarly wild cams...thats why i liek cams like the one raj has and my personal preference then BC stg2

anyways getting the thread back on topic......
did the OP go for the haltech yet?, if not...what ever his choice is think its worth the jump to a standalone if he an affort it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
athenG

The flash is useful to eliminate the throttling-off when the engine approaches redline and also the ability to bump/control the rev limiter. The rev limiter in a RevUp is controlled by drive-by-wire and none of the Engine Management Systems (that I know of) can change it.

This only apply to Revup?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Glex25

Originally Posted by IntenseFab
Hello,

The issue with CEL's and aftermarket EMS's, is they will not go away. No aftermarket EMS has the capabilities to replicate the factory O2 check system.

I do not know the entire story but from what I was told about your start-up/idle AFR/ Fuel cutoff was you were asked to take your car back into your tuner to have it tweaked, but for somereason have not done so. We would love to help you get your issues corrected if you like. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Sorry for the ProEFI OT in this Utec/Haltech thread. Glex, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Sorry didn't mean to thread crap.
I was relating to that particular posters situation being similar to mine.
Since you seem to know my situation so well I have sent you a PM.

Back on topic
Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by athenG
This only apply to Revup?
yes __jb is correct. only revup has this "feature". I have a non-revup and there is no such "soft limiter" - it is a harsh fuel cut rev limiter for me, so resetting that with the Haltech is not an issue.

If this works for me, I will post all the details (if UpRev has no objection)!

Quick Reply: From Utec to Haltech