Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My soon to be 350z in S14 240sx clothing

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 AM
Seeing Double

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a rear angle shot of what the car "should" look like fully installed and painted?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
SinisterSntra91

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
post some kind of pics whether it's the car or your house updates!!!! LOL
As requested here is what I did this weekend...
I had to remove this old biatch.

Name:  IMAG0062.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  26.4 KB

My busted *** hot water heater. This old thing has been in service since the 70s. It wouldnt pump out enough water to make it through a one shower.

I didnt plan on replacing it just yet, I was just going to wait till it croaked completely or right before winter which ever came first, but the deal I got on this bad boy I couldnt pass up:

Name:  IMAG0064.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  33.0 KB

It was on clearance as a scratch and dent. The computer board was fried on it and the plastic drain valve was destroyed on it. They had it marked down from $570 to $200 and it came with a new computer board it just needed to be installed. After I nit picked the drain valve and the missing vent flume I snagged it for $175. So I loaded her up and brought her home. I soon realized there was one slight road bump in this install I was about to do...

Name:  IMAG0063.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  39.9 KB

My heavy *** concrete service tub that took up waaaay to much room, so in order to get the old hot water heater out from under the steps this thing needed to be out of the way. My brother and I tried sliding it out of the way and out my basement through the garage. Well the chump metal platform it was on clappsed because it was so old and rotted, so I got out my favorite tool:

Name:  IMAG0070.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  44.9 KB

The BFH and went to town on the bad boy. The remains:
Name:  IMAG0071.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  85.2 KB

Loaded it all up in my Frontier along with the old hot water heater and got rid of it all. Replaced the computer board and the drain valve and hooked everything back up. Fired up the new hot water heater and it works like a champ. Went and got a shower stayed in there as long as I could to see how long it took for the water to go cold and it never did. Freakin sweet!

Next day I went and did what I have always wanted to do... I jumped out of a plane at 10,000 feet. Oh my god what a rush. I cannot wait to do it again, un-freakin real. Looks like I have another new expensive hobby. If you guys ever have a chance to do it and you want to do it... DO IT! Talk about the ultimate rush, they say you can hit 150 mph on the free fall, its wicked!

Today I got my VQ30 block in, it was all nasty dirty that wouldnt do for what I wanted to do with it. So I took it to a guy I know who sand blasted everything for me:

Name:  IMAG0061.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  67.3 KB

All clean and ready for paint. I painted it a almost chrome color. Then I assembled it:

Name:  IMAG0077.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0073.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0075.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0076.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  34.9 KB

My last piece of furniture ill buy for my new crib for awhile my VQ30 powered coffee table. I know its not the VQ35 but its essentially the same and alot cheaper to purchase lol.

Last edited by SinisterSntra91; 09-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an awesome coffee table!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love that coffee table. I have lots of ideas in my head for stuff like that but it never becomes a reality.

Bravo sir.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Manu

Amazing thread. I just read through pretty much all of it.

I don't think it can get better than this for a car enthusiast. When you have the skills and space to do your own work and actually fabricate parts.

I hope someday to be half as skilled. I could build the pro-touring muscle car I am dreaming about.

Congratulations, really
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
FineWine

For the table, I think it would be even better if you used all 6 pistons
Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Kal_El

lol...nice table
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta love a VQTable
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

HAhah that's cool coffee table. Very nice
Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM
mysterymann

Thats a awesome table
Old 09-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Skrilla

Wow....words cannot explain, i read this entire thread from beginning to end. I thought I had DIY skills...I think you may have put me to shame. My old car an Eagle Talon was the ultimate frankenstein motor. Built and assembled from 4 cars and man it looks like a backyard project compared to this, what is even more ridiculous and that I actually had stolen some of these techniques I've appplied to my Z in the last week. I will have to share them on another thread as to not steal from your glory. I myself would like to help you and all of your endeavor. You should post your paypal address so you can receive donations or something. Obviously just getting this mother****er finished would be reason to help you out. by no means have you been a slacker when it comes to this project.

I do have a couple of questions/clarifications.
I keep seeing people talk about the vq30det iirc the one i think is being refered to is the motor from the z32 from the '90-99 300zx? which is not a vq engine but rather the VG designation
-I'm aware there are vg turbos but i thought were made by Nissan for their jgtc cars instead of the rb motors (the straight 6 motors has oil pressure issues at high rpms the v motors escape)

The only thing I didn't pay attention to was the turbo you're using I have a t61 I will eventually downsize for more aggressive streetability on my single turbo application such as a more typical T4. What are you using?
I run a base Z with a "wet" weight of 3330 with the turbosystem (yes actuall weight). It started life with a wet weight claim of 3198 from Nissan. Any clues or guesses on your car's weight. Maybe the weight of the motor pulled and the weight of the vq you stuffed in to guage a good comparison.

Anyway keep up the good work on such a ridiculous build
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Skrilla
Wow....words cannot explain, i read this entire thread from beginning to end. I thought I had DIY skills...I think you may have put me to shame. My old car an Eagle Talon was the ultimate frankenstein motor. Built and assembled from 4 cars and man it looks like a backyard project compared to this, what is even more ridiculous and that I actually had stolen some of these techniques I've appplied to my Z in the last week. I will have to share them on another thread as to not steal from your glory. I myself would like to help you and all of your endeavor. You should post your paypal address so you can receive donations or something. Obviously just getting this mother****er finished would be reason to help you out. by no means have you been a slacker when it comes to this project.

I keep seeing people talk about the vq30det iirc the one i think is being refered to is the motor from the z32 from the '90-99 300zx? which is not a vq engine but rather the VG designation
-I'm aware there are vg turbos but i thought were made by Nissan for their jgtc cars instead of the rb motors (the straight 6 motors has oil pressure issues at high rpms the v motors escape)

The only thing I didn't pay attention to was the turbo you're using I have a t61 I will eventually downsize for more aggressive streetability on my single turbo application such as a more typical T4. What are you using?
I run a base Z with a "wet" weight of 3330 with the turbosystem (yes actuall weight). It started life with a wet weight claim of 3198 from Nissan. Any clues or guesses on your car's weight. Maybe the weight of the motor pulled and the weight of the vq you stuffed in to guage a good comparison.

300zx tt has vg30dett not vq30
vq30 is some unicorn from japan or something. All i know is i want one and that its a vq35 with smaller displacement to make thicker cylinder walls and twin turbos.

but i was bummed to see that this thread wasn't updated by op.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:15 PM
SinisterSntra91

Well I am by no means asking for hand outs, as I am too proud for that, but since people have suggested this more than once and pursuing sponsorship has failed, if people feel the desire to donate , or subscribe or sponsor my "DIY Webisodes or blog" if you will, my paypal is SinisterSentra91@yahoo.com If anyone knows anyone looking to sponsor a project please pass this thread onto them. I would greatly appreciate it.

I truly thank everyone for their support and compliments that have fueled the fire to keep me going on this project. I am currently getting some debts paid down and things repaired on my house before winter hits, so my bills arent so high.

The VQ30DET is not the same as the VG30DETT, these two engines, since there is not much info out there on the VQ30DET, are often confused.
VQ30DET is the turbo charged version of the VQ30DE. VQ30DE is a earlier variant of the VQ35DE. In fact the VQ series goes back to a 2.0L variation. The VQ30DE can be found in various cars in the US such as the Maxima and Infinit I30, but all the cars in the US that were released with a VQ30DE IIRC were all FWD. They released RWD versions in Japan that were NA VQ30DEs and Turbo charged versions that are VQ30DETs. VQ30DETs never made it to the US in production cars. All were automatics though. Until the 350z was released there were no manual transmissions available for these engines, because of this. the motor was simply over looked as a possible donor in other vehicles. Since the VQ30 and VQ35 blocks are essentially the same, the VQ35DE trans makes a manual swap possible.

I am using a GT35R turbo, the turbo setup is modeled after the powerlab 350z GT35R kit. I thought about buying the kit, but I knew it would have to be modified for such an application and I couldnt stomach cutting up such an expensive kit.

Weight is going to be close to that of a KA-T 240sx. Believe it or not the KA24DEs that come in 240s are very close in weight to that of the VQ35DE. The difference is the material the motors are made of (KAs = cast iron, VQs = Aluminum) So weight to weight IIRC, S14s weigh 700lbs less than Z33s so weight shouldnt be an issue at all lol.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 PM
litoflow

Hey i didnt get to read all the post but did you sell the megan headers? lmk
Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
SinisterSntra91

Originally Posted by litoflow
Hey i didnt get to read all the post but did you sell the megan headers? lmk
yes they are gone.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM
litoflow

Originally Posted by SinisterSntra91
yes they are gone.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:04 AM
CAB350z

Epic thread, but i must see more after spending a good portion of time reading this. I wanna see whats been done!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
SinisterSntra91

Patience guys, my friend and I are putting together a portfolio and such and trying to get sponsors on board with this. If anyone who reads this has any experience with obtaining a sponsorship or anyone with any helpful info please pass it along, I want to finish this car but at my pace it will take another year or so lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
haeshik

sweet table
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM
GT-Z

thats tight!!!

Quick Reply: My soon to be 350z in S14 240sx clothing