Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anybody know this ProEFI car on a Dyno that blew?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Craig,

My post was purely comedy. I understand doug's sense of humor to be dry and rhetorical and take no responsibility for the content of his posts, nor have I ever posted anything negative about your build in contrast to the achievements of PowerLab's. Peace.

D(is for Darren, doug)

lets keep it civil folks
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
1ZweetZ

Hellos,

Did the person in the video who was spouting off saying that the engine blew have some type of remote telemetry that showed him an immediate drop in oil pressure, indicating catastrophic engine failure? Because ProEFI does not have that option as of yet. Therefore, how and why is the OP assuming that the motor let go? I'm confused.

The truth of the matter is that the lower radiator hose blew off, hence the visibility of coolant. I wonder how many peeps have actually heard a motor let go on a dyno. In the past 9 years of personally having witnessed 1000's of dyno pulls for r&d purposes, I've seen and HEARD a few..

Rod knock is pretty audibly obvious and a hole in the block = oil on the dyno (in conjunction with coolant) and a gnarly metal on metal orchestra IMMEDIATELY following.

The car was thrown back together at the last minute because we were invited by HIN to attend the dyno event. In the haste of everything, the whole rear end was to be put back together, the roll cage was painted, a full stereo system was put in, AP Racing BBK was installed, the GT37r that put the car into 11.00@127 was pulled and the 76s was put back in it's place. We would have left the 37r in the car, but Performance Auto and Sound Magazine is shooting it for their cover today and wanted the turbo that made 906whp to be left in the car. Originally, the tune was made for over 900whp, but once we arrived at HIN and scoped the competition we ran a different, less aggressive tune, as to avoid catastrophic failure on the dyno.

The car put down 706whp, winning the dyno event. Pretty pathetic that 700whp wins a dyno event at HIN Pomona huh?

As stated above, this motor is the original motor that's been in the G from the production line. The only upgrades are pistons, rods, cams, standard APR headstuds, and valve springs. It still retains stock sleeves, stock crank, and the rest of the valve train. This motor is and has always been purpose built for r&d for Intense, ProEFI, and PowerLab. It's best time at the track thus far is 11.00@127, with only 600whp on the 37r.
Darren, Glad to hear everying is well! I don't know why someone would think the engine is blown...you can clearly hear the engine decel still running with no noise, and briefly idle before they shut it down. Looks like the only reason it made 706 is becuase the hose came off early in the rpm. Like IIQuickSilverII said...it wouldn't have been much of a suprise as much hell as that poor engine has been put through. I guess it's the energizer bunny...maybe Han needs to paint it pink, and go for a new sponsor!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
taurran

Craig,

My post was purely comedy. I understand doug's sense of humor to be dry and rhetorical and take no responsibility for the content of his posts, nor have I ever posted anything negative about your build in contrast to the achievements of PowerLab's. Peace.

D(is for Darren, doug)
I know, mine was an attempt at comedy too. I forgot to put smileys on the end though...

Well, I'll just say that I'm not here to sell anything. If I were running a Garrett turbo, it would be there in my avatar. I also did the PF website, hence the banner.

But yeah, back on topic.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think it was running a secret stillen blower setup that Doug really likes.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
rule of thumb is

that rule doesn't apply to ninjas
Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
thawk408

The lower radiator hose has suction being put upon it since its where the water pump pulls from, so kinda odd that is just blew off....

Last edited by thawk408; 08-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by thawk408
The lower radiator hose has suction being put upon it since its where the water pump pulls from, so kinda odd that is just blew off....
The ProEFI has a little known safety feature that will blow off the radiator hose if coolant pressure gets too high. It's called 'adaptive radiator pressure control'.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Are you implying that I'm lying?

Darren
Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
The ProEFI has a little known safety feature that will blow off the radiator hose if coolant pressure gets too high. It's called 'adaptive radiator pressure control'.

i forgot you were such a comedian
Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 PM
thawk408

Are you implying that I'm lying?

Darren
No just odd. If I thought you were lying I would say "hey Mr. Intense guy I think your a big fat liar!", but i didnt. Just never really heard of the bottom hose blowing off.

Whens the 1k rwhp number coming?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:53 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by taurran
You're almost correct actually. ProEFI does have a radiator pressure sensor. It detect if radiator pressure goes above normal pressure (18-25psi). So, if it senses pressure above normal it will either default to base boost, evoke a limiter, turn on check engine light, or disable nitrous (depending on how the tuner sets it up). In this case the radiator hose wasn't tight enough, because the ProEFI didn't detect the radiator pressure going north of 20psi.

D
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
SnyperZ

You're almost correct actually. ProEFI does have a radiator pressure sensor. It detect if radiator pressure goes above normal pressure (18-25psi). So, if it senses pressure above normal it will either default to base boost, evoke a limiter, turn on check engine light, or disable nitrous (depending on how the tuner sets it up). In this case the radiator hose wasn't tight enough, because the ProEFI didn't detect the radiator pressure going north of 20psi.

D
really?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:03 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

No just odd. If I thought you were lying I would say "hey Mr. Intense guy I think your a big fat liar!", but i didnt. Just never really heard of the bottom hose blowing off.

Whens the 1k rwhp number coming?
Fair enuff because everyone who knows me knows I'm no fibber.

I don't know Jason's (ProEFI) upcoming schedule, but I'm sure there will be a thread

D
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
SnyperZ

Fair enuff because everyone who knows me knows I'm no fibber.

I don't know Jason's (ProEFI) upcoming schedule, but I'm sure there will be a thread

D

Will you make my car fast already!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

head lift? typically it would blow out the overflow but i guess if it was really bad it could pop a rad hose... then again when my headgaskets let go on the AEBS block (crappy sleeve job) the first sign was the radiator hoses leaking around the clamps even when they were tight as hell... I guess if they werent tight they coulda blown off or if they were old they coulda just popped.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phunk
head lift? typically it would blow out the overflow but i guess if it was really bad it could pop a rad hose... then again when my headgaskets let go on the AEBS block (crappy sleeve job) the first sign was the radiator hoses leaking around the clamps even when they were tight as hell... I guess if they werent tight they coulda blown off or if they were old they coulda just popped.
As Darren stated, the lower hose was loose. I'm sure they will further diagnose the motor when they get back to AZ.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phunk

That is a good point. I hope you guys didn't lift the heads, because it such a PITA to replace the gaskets, but this is a very realistic possibility considering all the engine has been threw.

Subscribed for further diagnose of the cause when you guys get a chance.

Good luck,

-George
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

This is a little unrelated, but I found this the other day too.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_m3WgO2bp8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l_m3WgO2bp8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 PM
thawk408

thanks for whoring....
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 AM
350z-900whp

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i was there at import night and i saw this green G35 running perfect at 9:30 pm that night so, for sure it wasn't a blown engine

Quick Reply: Anybody know this ProEFI car on a Dyno that blew?