Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab issues(after a month of driving)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
Because most shop wont complain to much about it. STS is no walk in the park and MRC didn't complain about it at first. They just make adjustments or do what ever it takes to install it. That is why they get paid top $$$ for install
julian is not one to hide stuff..

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...o-install.html

he already made mention his feelings of the turbo blanket and the downpipe fitment..

this isn't new news people.. stop getting excited about it
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my wideband is where that EGT is on Julians install...you can see how close it is....I think im actually going to move it up where the stock one was put...maybe it will read a little better.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
doug

my wideband is before my stock 02 sensors
Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by doug
my wideband is before my stock 02 sensors
hmm..mines last in line about 3 feet away from the turbo..its what feeds the ecu too..maybe ill switch it with the front o2s...it doesnt really matter where those go..
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc, hope you get this all square!!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Marc, hope you get this all square!!

Yeah well what im gonna do is use that top port for EGT, and add a bung right next to the stock driver side front 02 sensor and put the wideband there...maybe ill get a more accurate reading because right now its behind the 2 rear o2s. Im also creating my exhaust that ive been waiting on. Im going to use all stainless and add another 2 bolt flange..to 3" to an oval vibrant 3" (straight through) muffler then from there a cutout with a turndown..and the other end will be reduced to a 2.5 back out to the stock exhaust.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PRuane
How bad is the lag? I'm curious because I'm looking into buying this kit, where does spooling start?
If I remember right dave at Fuction Tuned said it had less lag then a Turbonetics kit.

Lag this Lag that, mash the throttle in first gear and the tires will light up, shift to 2nd gear and you're well within the power band and wont see any lag.

leave the car in 4th gear and floor it while going 60 and yes you'll notice lag..... then again down shift so you're in the good part of the power band and you'll never see any lag.

Not sure what issues you're having with the o2s, the passenger side is in the stock location, the drivers side is relocated down low so it can clear the down pipe. I can't think of any reasons why you'd have clearance issues.
I did cut my O2 wire harness open and pull the two o2s apart so I could gain some clearance over the cross over pipe. but still no rubbing issues.

As far as your charge pipe, your problem lies in the head light. You have to remove a lot of material, if you read my install thread, you'd see how I had a problem with the charge pipe, it was so far off I was talking with intense about replacing it. Turns out the charge pipe going from the intercooler to the upper charge pipe was not in the correct location.

Check out the clearance I have between my power steering container and the pipe. At first I had to relocate the power steering container, it was THAT FAR off.

I removed my head light, took a hacksaw blade (with my bare hand since the holder wouldn't fit) and cut little slits into the metal, then took some pliers and bent back the pieces 1 piece at a time, its a very bad location, you cannot get any tools in there =( it took awhile, but now that its done, there's no charge pipe issues other then having it too close IMO to my radiator cap. Again, I had to remove a lot, enough to gain a few inches of clearance.

As far as the intercooler goes, unless you plan on making 1000+ WHP think of it as being lucky, I spent A LOT of time cutting my front bumper over and over and over to try and get it to fit correctly, I still have more trimming to go! it's WAY over kill, its nothing more then bragging rights.

Post a picture up of your O2, I'm truly lost at why you're having an issue.

BTW you do know that the top O2 bung next to the tranny/down pipe gets pluged right? you DO NOT use that o2 hole, you plug it with the provided plug, you only use the 3 o2 holes at the lower part of the down pipe.

passenger side O2 #1 stays in the stock place

passanger side O2 #2 goes into the lower O2 plug

drivers side O2 #1 gets removed from the manifold (plug that hole with provided plug) then gets relocated at the lower downpipe.

drivers side O2 #2 gets plugged in at the lower part of the down pipe.

so 3 o2s are side by side while 1 is in the passenger side manifold. (edit) I believe the drivers side O2 #1 is a bit farther up the downpipe, but still relocated to where there's enough room to install it near the cross over pipes. there's no way in hell to use the factory spot that's for sure.

This leaves room for 1 wide band. If you want to run an EGT you must add another bung, I put mine in the middle of the cross over pipe.

As for the Turbo Blanket, are you bitching about it not coming with one? last time I checked turbo blankets were a common add on item to any turbo system.

Yes the overflow tank is very small, however, thats what happens when you use the largest piping that can fit. I'm sure you could spend some time relocating the overflow tank to the firewall, but for a turbo kit that is a bit much.

I knew before buying the powerlab kit that fitment was going to be tricky and tight, that is the downside to running larger piping. If I wanted a simple install with next to no clearance issues I would have bought a turbonetics kit.

The powerlab kit is one hell of a kit, however, (not sure if its still the case) the provided directions are worthless.

P.S it's like 3am and I'm not all here so if anything doesn't make sense I'll try to answer any questions later.

Last edited by jeffie7; 09-25-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 AM
SnyperZ

I did plug the actual header spot and relocated the driver side o2 sensor correctly. Theres also 3 "o2" bungs welded together and one spot is supposed to be for the wideband and the other 2 for rear o2s...however the wideband doesnt fit in the top located and needs to be moved...the top bung of the 3 welded together is useless for anything other than an EGT.
Also with the intercooler piping I also had to cut ALOT of material to get it to fit..it fits fine now though.

Just to make sure people understand whats going on here..Im NOT whining, these are problems ive had from the beginning and if I was complaining and having serious issues(WHICH IM NOT) I would of called Intense to work things out. I was simply letting people know(instead of answering PMs) a few of the issues im having after driving around a little bit. I still love the kit and its great...its just TIGHT.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Just because nobody else has "had issues" doesnt mean the OP is a hack mechanic.

Im not taking sides on this just noting that. Most of the things we read online regarding shops/fitment, parts, etc are "filtered" to sound good. I am a fan of the straight up truth myself....
This is the truth.

Been "tuning cars" for a very long time (13+ years).

Seen it a million times.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
SnyperZ

x2. Anyone who knows me(and theres a few on this board) have seen my car and how clean it is. I make sure everything is done right and usually go back 2 or 3 times until everything is better than perfect..
Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoulda just went twins. lol

Good luck on your project though.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 AM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
Shoulda just went twins. lol

Good luck on your project though.

Don't start haha. I have my reasons for never going twins.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:54 AM
doug

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Don't start haha. I have my reasons for never going twins.
yeah i hear you.. 2 hot chicks came up to me in a bar... told me they were twins.. said they wanted to have a 3 some.. i told them no.. i would only take 1 of them home.. i have to admit.. only some men are equipped to handle twins
Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have zero regret with going single, if I had to do it again I wouldn't think twice about using a single again.

when it comes down to it, who cares. both setups can make great power.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:45 AM
doug

Originally Posted by jeffie7
I have zero regret with going single, if I had to do it again I wouldn't think twice about using a single again.

when it comes down to it, who cares. both setups can make great power, just some make it faster than others

true true
Old 09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by jeffie7

when it comes down to it, who cares. both setups can make great power.

I agree completely..theres a huge misconception about a big single being really laggy..thats true...if you were to start right off idle, shift, go back to idle and start again...its all about how you drive it..my car once im in boost stays in boost with INSTANT power after a shift with no lag.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:05 PM
redvert

mine has been great wife drives the car in and out of DC for the past 4 months no problems no complaints great kit no issues.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 PM
SnyperZ

Heres a lil "music video" I made of my car tonight haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLQs1h5wZfs

Last edited by SnyperZ; 09-28-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Heres a lil "music video" I made of my car tonight haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZEHrD6v9iw
^^^

who are you trying to fool with your new zig? lol
Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

so what did you dyno at?

Quick Reply: Powerlab issues(after a month of driving)