Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab issues(after a month of driving)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powerlab issues(after a month of driving)

Ok well let me say first off that I absolutely love the kit and the way the car makes power even though most people hate the initial lag.Its only on 4-6psi and pulls pretty damn good. The kit is a very well thought out kit however it does have its small issues.

I will say this though..there are alot of clearance issues. First off the top bung welded on the downpipe is useless as I cant even fit a wideband in there because it would hit the transmission,so I have to plug that one and weld one lower. Also the lower downpipe doesnt fit right. It either hits the trans or it hits the header flange and theres no way around that.

I had to cut ALOT of material out of the headlight brackets to get the intercooler piping to fit without rubbing but it still does anyways. Im also a little upset that I paid the same price as everyone else and got stuck with a much smaller intercooler because of production problems with the bigger ones. Also, the last charge pipe going into the TB doesnt fit right since its angled all the way to the TB now allowing the coupler to sit flush and possibly causing a leak down the road.

Also the overflow tank that was sent with the kit is WAY to small.. What happsn is the car heats up and a bunch of coolant spews out of the overflow hose and then when it cools down theres not as much..and I have to constantly fill it back up.

Also,reguardless of what anyone says this kit NEEDS a turbo blanket. The charge pipe over the turbo gets so hot you can cook an egg on it. Putting the blanket on it drastically cooled down AITs, my hood(over the turbo)
and and everything all around it..in addition to wrapping the dp.Lastly,the BOV spring shipped with the kit was way too stiff and was causing bad flutter/surge.

Other than those easily workable things the car makes AWESOME power and theres absolutely no lag between shifts.

Last edited by SnyperZ; 09-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Fluid1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So other than basically every part not fitting correctly, you're happy? lol
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Speqz

The turbo most definately needs a blanket and the DP needs to be wrapped....you really can cook an egg on the charge pipe...leave you hand on that pipe for more than a 2nd and you will have some serious burns to deal with...

ne 1 know where I can buy a turbo blanket?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:22 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Speqz
The turbo most definately needs a blanket and the DP needs to be wrapped....you really can cook an egg on the charge pipe...leave you hand on that pipe for more than a 2nd and you will have some serious burns to deal with...

bed bath and beyond
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by Speqz
http://projectptp.com/ptp/ptpturbo-b...s/g-55518.aspx

note that PTP direct sells them cheaper on ebay.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
UMW350Z

Hmmmm, MRC never made mention of fitment problems or the problem you are having with the bung.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It's nice to have candid feedback. There's tight clearance with all the kits - just not much room in these cars. I can understand why shops don't focus on the problems that some of the kits have but at the same time I don't think it's inappropriate to identify the trouble spots. And in fact this probably would allow end users to recognize the effort that shops go to for each and every kit install.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
hydroflip

none of that would matter if you had a built block.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
Hmmmm, MRC never made mention of fitment problems or the problem you are having with the bung.
Because most shop wont complain to much about it. STS is no walk in the park and MRC didn't complain about it at first. They just make adjustments or do what ever it takes to install it. That is why they get paid top $$$ for install
Old 09-25-2008, 01:23 PM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by athenG
Because most shop wont complain to much about it. STS is no walk in the park and MRC didn't complain about it at first. They just make adjustments or do what ever it takes to install it. That is why they get paid top $$$ for install
MMM good call. I don't see any problems so far with mine. I am going to check the coolant thing though, I popped the hood to look up last night and made a note to check it today. Gotta check my catch can and do my first oil change, I am going to measure the amount that comes out and the oil in the filter to see how much was burned.

I get a/f sensor codes, random misfire, and idling codes. My right bank a/f is jumpy but smooths out when driving....not a huge deal but it trips the light. The NNA engineer and I think the sensor codes aren't a problem and most of the anomalies are because of the UTEC taking control of the mix. No problems when the codes trip, but I did have to clear out some ECU learning last code-clearing party.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by UMW350Z

Ill take a pic of it when I make my exhaust this weekend to show you what im talking about. If I plug that one and add one directly under the lowest one it will be fine..thats how it shoulda been.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by athenG
O'really...jeffie, who had never done a turbo kit install before, has no issues with his Z (this isnt the only other DYI on the turbo kit either) and no problems with DPs that rattle...plus, Its a turbo kit, not a lego casttle.... it isnt suppose to be easy like CRX-easy.
Not a lot of room on the Zs and big piping makes things complicated.

I personally know of 4 VQs in AZ, other than the green G, that have had no issues to this date, and that after enduring a summer of 120ºF temps. The temps are way better than TN kit, but it doesnt mean that its good to the human touch...
The turbo kit is designed to be one of the best at a great price (4 dealers and customers) but its not going to absorb a 80+$ tubo blanket 20+$ heat wrap and keep the pricing the same......
I dont think powerlab is going to use a cheap blanket that looks like tinfoil lol, or start bundling their kits with a case of mobil1 oil, or a trip to disney

The blanket and heat wrap are simple things, which any good installer would take care off regardless of what kit is used to protect electrical wires, etc
Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
It's nice to have candid feedback.
+1
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
O'really...jeffie, who had never done a turbo kit install before, has no issues with his Z (this isnt the only other DYI on the turbo kit either) and no problems with DPs that rattle...plus, Its a turbo kit, not a lego casttle.... it isnt suppose to be easy like CRX-easy.
I really hope your not inferring that I installed it wrong/half assed or sloppy. This isnt the first time ive done something like this. If youd like saturday ill show you exactly what im talking about..the downpipe will either touch the transmission or the header..theres absolutely no way around it. All the issues im having arent "idiot" related. Ive uninstalled the kit 3 times trying to find some way to do it..ive rotated the pipes all possible ways(the vbands) and if you were here youd see what I meant. Also I dont care if Jeffie didnt have a problem..these arent production line turbo kits..each one is made one at a time correct? The o2 sensor doesnt NOT fit because of something I did..it doesn't fit because the bung is in the incorrect place.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
I really hope your not inferring that I installed it wrong/half assed or sloppy. This isnt the first time ive done something like this. If youd like saturday ill show you exactly what im talking about..the downpipe will either touch the transmission or the header..theres absolutely no way around it. All the issues im having arent "idiot" related. Ive uninstalled the kit 3 times trying to find some way to do it..ive rotated the pipes all possible ways(the vbands) and if you were here youd see what I meant. Also I dont care if Jeffie didnt have a problem..these arent production line turbo kits..each one is made one at a time correct? The o2 sensor doesnt NOT fit because of something I did..it doesn't fit because the bung is in the incorrect place.
mark:
i am not close to you(location) or i would have tried to help you on the install from day 1 hands on...My answer TO HIM was that you are the only one reporting this issues...there are 3 other gt37r projects almost ready that are not having your same problem......and to clear things out for n00bs who come here, ready thing and wagon hop. I am also not aware of any of the many gt35r kits having issues.
BUT UNDERSTAND THIS I am not calling you an lier or an "idiot"(you did). You say you have been in this game before, and I am sure you had to work with other kits that were less than perfect and delays of months to get the kit out to you, and i know it may not be your intention but i am making sure n00bs dont take things the wrong way from this thread.
Like i said to you already quite a few times and get this clear:
1. i say you are the only one so far with all the lil issues you complain...
2 i am not calling you a lier ...and
3 me saying you are the only one doesnt mean me saying its your fault, who knows

n00bs jump on the wagon easy, i think you know that, and your posts ,even if your intention is different, dont come out like you expect. I know you really are happy overall, but just like you took things wrong with what i said...well it works both ways, it looks liek a constant complain...more than you really intend.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-25-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just because nobody else has "had issues" doesnt mean the OP is a hack mechanic.

Im not taking sides on this just noting that. Most of the things we read online regarding shops/fitment, parts, etc are "filtered" to sound good. I am a fan of the straight up truth myself OP-good luck getting the issues taken care of, I would have heat wrapped it all before putting it on....
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Alberto
Just because nobody else has "had issues" doesnt mean the OP is a hack mechanic.
yeah Mark has experience with other cars he turboed b4, i never said he is a hack lol.
his Dp could have a problem or maybe there is another things he can try to get it to fit better, or maybe its jsut one time that isn't right and is throwing everythign else off, i mean a few things that could happen, i am just pointing out that.
I am sure you recall how lil room(nada) there is with the tn dp, and now this is a full 3" and 2.5" crossover. His car is running fine(hope he gets this other hickups sorted though), i dont think he has any boost leaks, and his self tune is holding fine for 6psi boost...8 psi coming soon maybe?

Ask jeff his toughts with his experience though if you wan a more close to home opinion...

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-25-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:47 PM
PRuane

even though most people hate the initial lag
How bad is the lag? I'm curious because I'm looking into buying this kit, where does spooling start?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by PRuane
How bad is the lag? I'm curious because I'm looking into buying this kit, where does spooling start?
its not bad..its so much fun..you can hear the turbo start around 2800rpms...and the car is a rocket by 3.8k

Quick Reply: Powerlab issues(after a month of driving)