Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

eric, its called selective reading ....or maybe:

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-28-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Then I'm assuming you and Sam didn't read and only skimmed through posts #157 and 163. I have yet to see you or Sam directly speak to the specifics contained in that 3rd party report on Vino's motor.
I remember just the other day we were cool, now you too have some type of anger towards GTM. Hows your car coming along btw?

Anyways, you might have missed this part of the post, since it was long, I do agree:

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Solution: MRC can send us the engine back so we can determine the failure and take care of the problem if it is on our end. Which is what should have been done in the first place. Has far as shipping, R&R, etc. no company covers these costs, that is not part of any warranty. Not even Cosworth will cover these costs and we know that from experience - incidentals are never covered. MRCs makes a profit on these engines, and that is why it is his responsibility to cover incidentals at his cost.

Also, how does an engine, that was built so poorly according to Julian, achieve these results?: MRC Motorsports Presents VINO...A fine MERLOT...

When ever we have had an engine problem in house, we know right away on the dyno, it makes noise, blows smoke, won't make power, etc. We have never had an engine leave that performed well on the dyno and our drive test that has come back as a failure.

The engine was installed, tuned, and made great power.

The engine came back to MRC low on oil, Sam told Julian if the engine was ran low on oil it had to be fixed. Julian sent the engine to a 3rd party months later instead of sending it back to Sam.

So how can Sam warranty an engine if it is never sent back to him for inspection? We are suppose to trust a 3rd party shop with out us having any say in who the 3rd party is and take their word as gospel?

I am not debating the facts posted on the engine, and the damage done to the engine. What we want to know how the damage occurred.

It's easy to say that all these issues were related to machining, and they may be - we won't know until we look at it, but what about the following:

The engine made big power with no issues.
Car leaves MRC with no issues.
Customer gets the car back and drives it for 2,000 miles.
Car comes back low on oil.

Now,
Did the car overheat on the customer, maybe it did and he didn't notice?
Did the car run low on oil was still was driven hard because the customer wasn't aware?
Was the car over revved or mis-shifted?

Not blaming the customer just stating things that everyone seems to be overlooking. Of course clearances will be off if an engine has been over heated, over revved, or ran low on oil.

But lets say that this engine is our fault, O.K. that is 1 out of OVER 200.

Zoni's engine, broken oil squirters. The pistons were obviously defective, and once expanded by the heat of the engine, broke the oil squirters.

Yes you can change the oil squirters with out removing the engine, no we were not going to send him the same oil squirters again, we have extended oil squirters that we use with our stroker kit that will resolve this issue for the customer with minimal downtime.

So that is 2 out of over 200. Less than 2%.

Do we wish these issues never happened? Yes.

Are we going to do whatever we can to take care of the customer? Yes.

We all make mistakes, we are human. If our mistakes are less than 2% of our builds I think we are doing pretty well.

As far as Rome's engine, we will wait for the report on that one.

P.S. Alberto, you say you know of over 10 people with problems with our engines, could you do me a favor and list them please, Thanks.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

George dont even start that game with me, as if you didnt already have enough negative press. While I know of many people and I already drug Joe Kenefic into this without him posting, if the others have been swayed by you or Sam to not speak up that is their business. I'm not putting other people's info out like that, I wouldnt want somebody doing that to me.

I can think of one shop you deal with that has told me of more than 4 GTM motors failing (improperly TQ's head studs, spewing coolant during break in, etc,) surprise, surprise that shop is now only reading the thread and not posting, thats prolly the better way to go, because if I start reading people posting LIES here like on the other site gdriver Im calling them out and some.

You want to drag other people In at this point for what? What has already been presented to the public isnt bad enough?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Alberto,

Thank you for your report, good data. Could you also post pictures of the bearings so we may see the wear? Appreciate it.

When Sam first heard about your engine problems, he called Sharif to find out what was going on.

Sharif told Sam it was nothing on his end.
The car had been overheated which would explain the scuffing of the pistons and high level of aluminum in the oil analysis.

Now, how is GTM suppose to take care of a problem they are told is not their fault? Was Sam suppose to question Sharif, and make sure it wasn't his fault?

We all know how you drive your car, you drive it probably harder than anyone on this forum, and that engine took a beating - you can admit that.

Your new engine is showing much better wear, although it still has the same GTM installed sleeves in it. Could it be that you don't drive your car as hard as you used to because you are worried about ending up in the same situation? Don't know this is just speculation on my part.

All I am saying is that how do you expect Sam to take care of you when he is told their was nothing he did wrong? I apologize for Sam not getting back to you, I am sure it was an honest mistake - I know you are upset about that.

None the less I am sorry for your trouble and wish them on nobody.

-George
Old 10-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Driven1
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So whats the failure percentage on the 4.2L stroker? There are what? between 6-8 total?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Alberto
George dont even start that game with me, as if you didnt already have enough negative press. While I know of many people and I already drug Joe Kenefic into this without him posting, if the others have been swayed by you or Sam to not speak up that is their business. I'm not putting other people's info out like that, I wouldnt want somebody doing that to me.

I can think of one shop you deal with that has told me of more than 4 GTM motors failing (improperly TQ's head studs, spewing coolant during break in, etc,) surprise, surprise that shop is now only reading the thread and not posting, thats prolly the better way to go, because if I start reading people posting LIES here like on the other site gdriver Im calling them out and some.

You want to drag other people In at this point for what? What has already been presented to the public isnt bad enough?

Because Alberto, unlike you and others may think - we have nothing to hide.

If there is a problem with our products, we need to know - How else could we correct the problem and improve ourselves?

As far as Joe Kenefic, we have never sold him an engine directly or indirectly, so any issues he may have or has had is in no relation to us.

-George
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
acg

Actually if I was thinking of going FI or even if I was already FI I would like to know of every failure that has happened not only with GTM but with other shops...I mean how are we supposed to navigate through this territory without feedback
Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Alberto,

Thank you for your report, good data. Could you also post pictures of the bearings so we may see the wear? Appreciate it.

When Sam first heard about your engine problems, he called Sharif to find out what was going on.

Sharif told Sam it was nothing on his end.
The car had been overheated which would explain the scuffing of the pistons and high level of aluminum in the oil analysis.

Now, how is GTM suppose to take care of a problem they are told is not their fault? Was Sam suppose to question Sharif, and make sure it wasn't his fault?

We all know how you drive your car, you drive it probably harder than anyone on this forum, and that engine took a beating - you can admit that.

Your new engine is showing much better wear, although it still has the same GTM installed sleeves in it. Could it be that you don't drive your car as hard as you used to because you are worried about ending up in the same situation? Don't know this is just speculation on my part.

All I am saying is that how do you expect Sam to take care of you when he is told their was nothing he did wrong? I apologize for Sam not getting back to you, I am sure it was an honest mistake - I know you are upset about that.

None the less I am sorry for your trouble and wish them on nobody.

-George
Go back and read one of my original replies to this thread. I clearly stated, the point of me posting was not to bash GTM for what they did NOT do. I never once asked for anything from GTM, so dont take that way out and act concerned over the failure now when its all been behind us for months now. I dont expect anything from Sam or GTM at this point.

You saying I dont drive my car as hard, LMAO, I drive it at higher power levels to higher speeds, my habits havent changed, stop speculating.

Myself, and Rome are not the only people who have had issues with GTM sleeved motors. There are many people out there who have, but dont speak up. The way I see it, if you have had 10+ failures and you fix 9 of them on your coin you still fail. Every shop has probelms but you guys have the most, and thats even taking into account you do a lot of usiness. Id think the more you do something the better you would be at it? We are getting OT, what is the excuse for the data? Do you agree that an engine spewing coolant at 3500 miles is normal?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Driven1
So whats the failure percentage on the 4.2L stroker? There are what? between 6-8 total?
What do you consider a failure? A head gasket replacement is not a failure.

We have built over 25 stroker engines.

None have been reported back to us with engine failures.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Because Alberto, unlike you and others may think - we have nothing to hide.

If there is a problem with our products, we need to know - How else could we correct the problem and improve ourselves?
As far as Joe Kenefic, we have never sold him an engine directly or indirectly, so any issues he may have or has had is in no relation to us.

-George
You sound just like Sam, and if I didnt believe what he told me after being on the phone over 2 hours do you expect me to believe you? Sam never answered my PM, inside of it he had some Q's he was going to look into and asnwer or verify, Id like to hear the answer to those Q's, privately or in public.

LOL @ a blown HG not being a failure!! I guess its no big deal when they happen so often to one shop.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
go-fast
Banned

[/B] The car had been overheated which would explain the scuffing of the pistons and high level of aluminum in the oil analysis.

-George
why would his car overheat?bad radiator?bad fans?.......bad engine?if he is running a "1000 whp" motor at 50% power,he should be able to whip it all day long and the motor won't even feel it.
Driven1
Professional

Bam bams was just a head gasket failure? Don't think so.
Nitrouz too? Ironinc they had the EXACT same symptoms.

Those are just the 2 I know of in the U.S. (quite a few aren't even in this country)

These are easier to hide b/c none of these people are on these boards not to mention not even in U.S territories.

I find it hilarious that it's SO convenient for you to point the finger at another part as the "cause".

Alberto's "overheated". Im sure it did. B/C it was vomitting coolant all over itself. What caused the headgasket failure? I can think of a few things? I think some of the manufacturers of these "headgaskets that failed" may find your arguments laughable.

Last edited by Driven1; 10-28-2008 at 12:32 PM.
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Go back and read one of my original replies to this thread. I clearly stated, the point of me posting was not to bash GTM for what they did NOT do. I never once asked for anything from GTM, so dont take that way out and act concerned over the failure now when its all been behind us for months now. I dont expect anything from Sam or GTM at this point.

You saying I dont drive my car as hard, LMAO, I drive it at higher power levels to higher speeds, my habits havent changed, stop speculating.

Myself, and Rome are not the only people who have had issues with GTM sleeved motors. There are many people out there who have, but dont speak up. The way I see it, if you have had 10+ failures and you fix 9 of them on your coin you still fail. Every shop has probelms but you guys have the most, and thats even taking into account you do a lot of usiness. Id think the more you do something the better you would be at it? We are getting OT, what is the excuse for the data? Do you agree that an engine spewing coolant at 3500 miles is normal?
If you don't want to bash us, or you don't expect anything from us. Then what is the point of your posts? You obviously have something against us.

We have had more problems then any shop? Any evidence to back that claim up? At this point most of your post is slander.

You say all these peoples have had issues with our motors, where are they?

For someone so focused on facts, your posts are beginning to lack them

I have never stated that spewing coolant is normal, actually if you have ever followed my posts, you will see that I posted a long time ago, when people were saying it was normal to bleed the system every once in a while, I was saying it is not.

There is no reason you should have to bleed your cooling system once it has been bleed properly, if so you have other issues at hand.

So again, where are all these problems and failures you accuse us of?

P.S. Did you find any pictures of the bearings?

-George
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Driven1
Bam bams was just a head gasket failure? Don't think so.
Nitrouz too? Ironinc they had the EXACT same symptoms.

Those are just the 2 I know of in the U.S.

These are easier to hide b/c none of these people are on these boards.

I find it hilarious that it's SO convenient for you to point the finger at another part as the "cause".

Alberto's "overheated". Yeah it did. B/C it was vomitting coolant all over itself. What caused the headgasket failure? I can think of a few things? I think some of the manufacturers of these "headgaskets that failed" may find your arguments laughable.
Please enlighten me has to what caused the head gasket to fail then?

At this point, your argument is the one who's is laughable.

-George
Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honest question:
How long do you think your new engine should last with 600+whp? How many miles at a minimum?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by go-fast
why would his car overheat?bad radiator?bad fans?.......bad engine?if he is running a "1000 whp" motor at 50% power,he should be able to whip it all day long and the motor won't even feel it.
Why did his car overheat? Your guess is as good as mine. But that is my point.

If the car was spewing coolant as Alberto says, and the problem was never corrected. Yet he continued to drive the car an additional ~7,000 miles, what did he expect?

-George
Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by go-fast
I hate to chime in considering I have GTM components in my built engine, however I completely agree with this statement 100%.

I also agree completely that a HG failure is a failure. I am by no means mechanically inclined, but if the head studs aren't torqued properly any and all expenses resulting from the impending HG failure should be the responsibility of whomever assembled the motor period.

I also agree that the 3rd party inspections are a necessary and the oil analysis from Blackstone regarding Alberto's motor are pretty damning.

No hating just observing what I have read thus far.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Driven1
Professional

-George
Come on George...Seriously... Im sure they were just poorly manufactured headgaskets...They MUST have been defective.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

If you don't want to bash us, or you don't expect anything from us. Then what is the point of your posts? You obviously have something against us.

-George
The point of me posting is to let the community know, that I believe GTM does garbage work in regards to sleeved motors. I dont have anything against you, other than you sound like an infomercial everytime somebody asks for advice on parts or you when come out with something new.

People have a right to know what others have gone through. Im not saying GTM cant build any motors without issues. But I believe the oil analysis data shows you at least failed with mine. Regardless of the oil analysis or 3rd party engine builders, etc, etc, you and Sam will ALWAYS point the finger away from yourselves. I had always heard what kind of person Sam was but didnt make a judgement until we spoke on the phone. After he threw people under the bus to make himself and his shop look better, I knew what I was dealing with. Sam or you cant sweet talk me into not posting my EXPERIENCE and data, I am not like most of the guys who have failures.

Stop asking me for more info like names of other failed motors or more pictures. Its time "we" - the people with issues stop posting, and you or Sam start posting explanations for the coincidences in these failures, or an explanation for my data if its something other than a bad job on your end. You are Sam's houdini on the forums every time he/GTM gets in trouble you do the sweet talking and distract the thread, not happening this time...

Last edited by Alberto; 10-28-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

-George
The burden of proof is on GTM, not us, you are only making things worse for GTM....

Quick Reply: interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......