Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I never understood the concept of going "out-of-state" to buy materials for a major motor build. I WOULD NEVER BUY A MOTOR FROM COMPANY A AND HAVE INSTALLED BY COMPANY B!!!

Good Luck to the owners of those cars....

Can't wait to see the responses from both sides!!!!

PM's.... Can Julian be granted temporary access to post on my350z to discuss this thread????
Old 10-24-2008, 06:48 AM
escobar929

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea is def stupid to go to diff shops tunning and building motors, cause this is the first thing that happens, all finger pointing

and us, the customer is the one who looses no matter what
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by escobar929
yea is def stupid to go to diff shops tunning and building motors, cause this is the first thing that happens, all finger pointing

and us, the customer is the one who looses no matter what
it is different if you went to a professional engine builder to have the motor built and then took it to a shop.

as far as I know, there are no professional engine builders who are specializing in these motors. I know of a couple of big time, pro drag race engine builders who have dabbled with them, but they will even admit that they haven't built enough of them to really know all the tricks yet.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SlideFox
I never understood the concept of going "out-of-state" to buy materials for a major motor build. I WOULD NEVER BUY A MOTOR FROM COMPANY A AND HAVE INSTALLED BY COMPANY B!!!

Good Luck to the owners of those cars....

Can't wait to see the responses from both sides!!!!

PM's.... Can Julian be granted temporary access to post on my350z to discuss this thread????
For us guys in NJ it's like reputable VQ motor builders are like 15 hrs + away like for ex: Forged Performance. So if a shop is buying 5+ motors at a clip from that distance can u imagine all the Z owners looking for a reputable shop in our area..
Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
jtgli

GTM FTL. Seems that theyre not only trying to screw over people buying used turbo kits from them, theyve moved into not being reliable source for a motor build now also.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

DIY FTW. Read. Build. Be happy. When it breaks, you know what broke and why.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 AM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
DIY FTW. Read. Build. Be happy. When it breaks, you know what broke and why.
that is exactly why i am building my own engine. if it fails the finger pointing only comes back to me and only me.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:28 AM
jtgli

I agree with that 100% same reason the only thing I havent done so far on my Z is the tune itself. Everything else mine and my friends hands have done. Also helps cuz as soon as something acts weird I know exactly what it is.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Its a blessing and a curse. You hear things nobody else does and notice things nobody else does. It bothers you until you spend hours fixing something that is hardly noticeable.

However, there are no flat beds to a shop that charges by the hour. Only home garages with beer and a cold concrete floor. I love it.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Floridaboy1605

This is going to get VERY interesting...... Im IN!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
So you're gonna reserve any comment until all the indepedent 3rd party reports are in???

Why won't you comment on the 3rd party report on this particular motor mentioned in the g35driver thread???
wondered aobut this too

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I'm staying tuned into this one..........

on both sides of it, I recall that MRC has always fairily inflammatory towards other shops on these boards, but also, I remember the built motor issue/drama between GTM and BZM, where BZM ended up comingout clean from thoe whole ordeal.........

this should be interesting and hopefully productive.

For my own engines, I have always preferred to take them to best builders....usually an individual who specializes in just one type of motor...does it and does it well...mail order motors have never worked well for me.
you should ask the guy involved in the gtm bzm thread how he feels about his car now

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-24-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\ How does he feel? Did his motor not hold together after all?

Last edited by gothchick; 10-24-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Even for the DIY crowd, the issue with the GTM motor(s) appeared to be clearances on the piston bores. This is not an issue that DIY would fix. Machining is not rocket science, but finding shops that have the right setup to bore or hone blocks is few and far between, plus then you need the right tools just to be able to independently verify a machine shops work.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by gothchick
Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
REGARDING YOUR COMMENT

can you tell me what do you mean by that
to both:

, i clearly said ASK HIM.

gothchick:
his screen name is joedirtpharm (or similar).

sam:
quadcam metioned drama you have with bzm, from what i heard until recently you had that car, but i havent heard from don directly, so thats why i said to quadcam he should ask him.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:23 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

I remember the built motor issue/drama between GTM and BZM, where BZM ended up comingout clean from thoe whole ordeal.........
Originally Posted by gothchick
Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
you should ask the guy involved in the gtm bzm thread how he feels about his car now
I'm enjoying my newly built GTM motor setup. Sam and the crew at GTM spent a considerable amount of time assuring that many nuances on the car were up to par, and heavily subsidized a portion of the build costs due to BZM's atrocious practices (whose final reconcilation was to simply lathe the top of the piston heads to accomodate for the clearance issues that lead to the initial motor failure in the first place). I believe that motor still sits at GTM - Sam can provide pictures upon request if he chooses.

So, to say that BZM came out clean on the deal... well... is BZM even around anymore? I know GTM still is...

GTM's attention to detail, custom fabrication, and performance are extraordinary. In the process, the car was upgraded with GTM turbo cams, and a hybridized GT35 turbo housing to make a APS ST 500+ hp daily driver. I have a monster on my hands, and though I had to wait a considerable amount of time to get it back, I earnestly believe it is a superior product that I can enjoy for a long time.

Will be happy to provide pics upon request or create my own thread. Best of luck to all parties involved.

Last edited by JoeDirtPharmD; 10-24-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

thats great news that all got sorted out, so i know you were with 446whp on the stock block before (and under 400whp on the bzm engine if i recall) what did you ended up now with?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Crom

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
I'm enjoying my newly built GTM motor setup. Sam and the crew at GTM spent a considerable amount of time assuring that many nuances on the car were up to par, and heavily subsidized a portion of the build costs due to BZM's atrocious practices (whose final reconcilation was to simply lathe the top of the piston heads to accomodate for the clearance issues that lead to the initial motor failure in the first place). I believe that motor still sits at GTM - Sam can provide pictures upon request if he chooses.

So, to say that BZM came out clean on the deal... well... is BZM even around anymore? I know GTM still is...

GTM's attention to detail, custom fabrication, and performance are extraordinary. In the process, the car was upgraded with GTM turbo cams, and a hybridized GT35 turbo housing to make a APS ST 500+ hp daily driver. I have a monster on my hands, and though I had to wait a considerable amount of time to get it back, I earnestly believe it is a superior product that I can enjoy for a long time.

Will be happy to provide pics upon request or create my own thread. Best of luck to all parties involved.
Glad to hear everything worked out....
Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

edit......hadn't read all the posts before replying.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD

I believe you were the one with the epic thread vs the C6 Z06 on 350ZMotoring, am i correct? You should take that Z on again now!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
go-fast
Banned

as far as I know, there are no professional engine builders who are specializing in these motors. I know of a couple of big time, pro drag race engine builders who have dabbled with them, but they will even admit that they haven't built enough of them to really know all the tricks yet.
yes there are

Quick Reply: interesting bad built motor thread on G35driver.......