Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built Motor Database

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please keep it coming so i can sticky this
Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i know this dosent belong here but 53,000 miles with boost on a stock block.It is my dd and i do get on it hard quite a bit.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Weqster

Why is everyone shy? Just broswing the forum everyday, i know alot of built motors have blown up.

Its part of the game. Shops that promise the world. If u think u get OEM quality with the tools and cleanyness of most provide, u are kidding yourself. Shops generally use geneic engine reconditioners to machine and prep blocks. They dont care. Its all about throughput.

I do know of a company though, they dont advertise here, never heard them mentioned, but i would say are the ONLY place i would trust. The only place ive ever see backup there word, provide full blueprints. They build race-spec engines, not just use race-spec parts.

pocketrocketsracing.com
Old 11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Well i know this dosent belong here but 53,000 miles with boost on a stock block.It is my dd and i do get on it hard quite a bit.
yea at what power levels and what head studs
Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Weqster
Why is everyone shy? Just broswing the forum everyday, i know alot of built motors have blown up.

Its part of the game. Shops that promise the world. If u think u get OEM quality with the tools and cleanyness of most provide, u are kidding yourself. Shops generally use geneic engine reconditioners to machine and prep blocks. They dont care. Its all about throughput.

I do know of a company though, they dont advertise here, never heard them mentioned, but i would say are the ONLY place i would trust. The only place ive ever see backup there word, provide full blueprints. They build race-spec engines, not just use race-spec parts.

pocketrocketsracing.com
+1 i have to agree with him rome,good parts don't make a good engine alone.quality engine assembly can be compared to art......you can hand two people the same paint kit,one will draw stick figures and the other will paint a masterpiece.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:22 AM
06Track

2006 Track

Built Motor

Wiseco 8.8 Comp pistons
Crower Rods
Nissan Bearings
RPS clutch
Stock heads and cams
ARP L19...Cometic HG
Kinetic intake (I know, replace it)

APS TT 3 1/2" test pipes
Upgraded Forged Actuators
Extreme Fuel system
HKS F-Con and knock amp
HKS BOV
ARC oil cooler
Water/meth injection
Upgraded radiator with Sharif's Fans and shroud
Nismo thermostat
Two catch cans

Retuned and Tested by Forged Performance

11PSI (wastegates) 480whp Sharif's dyno
14 PSI 520whp

15000 miles boosted...Pennzoil Platinum 15w 50 Total miles on car 26,500

So far, knock on wood, NO Major problems... Very Happy
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by go-fast
+1 i have to agree with him rome,good parts don't make a good engine alone.quality engine assembly can be compared to art......you can hand two people the same paint kit,one will draw stick figures and the other will paint a masterpiece.
Rome...sorry for OT..

Yes....but if someone has never seen all the artist draw or seen their art...how can they say one art is better than the other

Before someone can come on here and say that one shop builds motors better than the other....you have to get all shops mentioned to build the exact motor and get a 3rd party to decide who is better than the other. Put all motors on an engine dyno run them for equal amounts of time...disassemble the motor and do measurements.

Until then..all we can do is speculate...Shop A build motor...Shop B installed motor...motor fails...who's fault is it We don't know for sure...its still in the middle even from the results posted....Members 1,2,3 & 4 got their motors from shop A...they end up with similar results..failed motors. Motors were installed at different shops...so yes...its most likely would be an issue with Shop A...BUT if all 4 motors involved was installed at the same shop...it would once again go back to the center as speculation who is at fault.

Now for someone to come on here and say one shop is better than another at assembling a motor...that person needs to also mention in the same statement that THEY themselves are a qualified engine builder and has visited Shop A, B, C, & D and they have found said shop/s lacking in assembly skills.

So to come on here with TASTELESS plugging of a shop before doing the above helps no one ...but helps to take this thread in a direction that Romey did not intend it to go.

go-fast...this is not directed at you

Last edited by XKR; 11-07-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Nice! Are you running a Stillen SC? What PSI? What kind of maintenance and how often do you do? Details man, give us teh detailz! :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 11-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:25 AM
ekelly36

Originally Posted by 350 Rookie
Forged Performance shortblock.
L19 headstuds
HKS headgasket
Turbonetics kit
11psi and using OLD plugs, with 380cc injectors and not knowing about FI ='ed my engines death after 3k miles.
Fixed
Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
Rome...sorry for OT..

Yes....but if someone has never seen all the artist draw or seen their art...how can they say one art is better than the other

Before someone can come on here and say that one shop builds motors better than the other....you have to get all shops mentioned to build the exact motor and get a 3rd party to decide who is better than the other. Put all motors on an engine dyno run them for equal amounts of time...disassemble the motor and do measurements.

Until then..all we can do is speculate...Shop A build motor...Shop B installed motor...motor fails...who's fault is it We don't know for sure...its still in the middle even from the results posted....Members 1,2,3 & 4 got their motors from shop A...they end up with similar results..failed motors. Motors were installed at different shops...so yes...its most likely would be an issue with Shop A...BUT if all 4 motors involved was installed at the same shop...it would once again go back to the center as speculation who is at fault.

Now for someone to come on here and say one shop is better than another at assembling a motor...that person needs to also mention in the same statement that THEY themselves are a qualified engine builder and has visited Shop A, B, C, & D and they have found said shop/s lacking in assembly skills.

So to come on here with TASTELESS plugging of a shop before doing the above helps no one ...but helps to take this thread in a direction that Romey did not intend it to go.

go-fast...this is not directed at you
i agree completely,thats why i have been begging for shops a,b,c&d for blueprints.if the math is done it,automaticly elevates said shop above the others.no shop on here offers a blueprint which suggests that none of them should be used for a max effort motor.o.e rebuilds or low hp engines can tolerate alot more sloppy assembly.but like i said in another thread,this is the only corner of the auto industry that has such expensive motors accepted on "good faith" that all checks and balances have been performed.(and will tolerate advertised hp).......btwy thanks for not directing that post at me
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE=go-fast;6528906]

+1 with this comment
this is the only corner of the auto industry that has such expensive motors accepted on "good faith"

IMHO this is why this thread is detrimental.
we def have to keep this going.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
hydroflip

subscribed
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by ToastZ

The Compression check varied between 120-130 and leakdown was 3-5% after 15K miles.
Are you sure about those Compression Numbers? That's very low.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ low compression FI build? Isn't 150 standard?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

170-180 stock compression 150 is lowest allowed on stock motor.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by westpak
Sleeved 3.5/ L19 studs/HKS head gaskets/554 whp Mustang @ 15 psi/no water or meth/ lasted 2,000 miles on initial build but had improper sleeve install (really it was 2000 miles of troubleshooting cooling system) since then on second build 10,000 with no issues to date
I didn't put shop: Me
Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
coachk
Banned

3.5 unsleeved short block
JE Pistons 8:8
Eagle Rods
HKS Head Gaskets
L19 Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
ACL Race Bearings
JWT C8 Cams
Forged Actuators(red springs)
Deatschwerks 650cc
Utec
Rev Up Oil Pump
No dyno #'s for me

Only have 1,500 miles on the motor

Last edited by coachk; 11-07-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
JET MECH

who would you consider a " qualified engine builder " what credentials and or experiance would they have to have or need? just curious..........
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JET MECH
who would you consider a " qualified engine builder " what credentials and or experiance would they have to have or need? just curious..........
Doesnt matter if you wanna talk about that go to a different thread OT thank you.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by r0mey
yea at what power levels and what head studs
Sorry Romey but stock everything and it was tuned by FunctionedTuned.My power levels do not even come close to yours but i am still having loads of fun.

I seriously hope your engine problems are coming to a conclusion very soon.

Quick Reply: Built Motor Database