Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built Motor Database

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:02 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Sorry Romey but stock everything and it was tuned by FunctionedTuned.My power levels do not even come close to yours but i am still having loads of fun.

I seriously hope your engine problems are coming to a conclusion very soon.
thanks my man my car should be back together very soon im actually happy to say and let the forums know. I am just doing alot of research on options as I told some. I just hope people can be open and honest so the community can grow thats all i want to come from my events. So others dont run into problems
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
ToastZ

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Are you sure about those Compression Numbers? That's very low.

8.5:1 compression pistons,... I was told its all good.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by ToastZ
8.5:1 compression pistons,... I was told its all good.
sounds about right to me
Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r0mey
thanks my man my car should be back together very soon im actually happy to say and let the forums know. I am just doing alot of research on options as I told some. I just hope people can be open and honest so the community can grow thats all i want to come from my events. So others dont run into problems
Glad to hear a positive update r0me. BTW... Your new avatar is NICE!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:09 PM
niceguyyy01

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
BTW... Your new avatar is NICE!
+1000
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Glad to hear a positive update r0me. BTW... Your new avatar is NICE!
thank you thats my lady friend
Old 11-08-2008, 07:08 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by go-fast
i agree completely,thats why i have been begging for shops a,b,c&d for blueprints.if the math is done it,automaticly elevates said shop above the others.no shop on here offers a blueprint which suggests that none of them should be used for a max effort motor.o.e rebuilds or low hp engines can tolerate alot more sloppy assembly.but like i said in another thread,this is the only corner of the auto industry that has such expensive motors accepted on "good faith" that all checks and balances have been performed.(and will tolerate advertised hp).......btwy thanks for not directing that post at me
I have seen your post asking shops if their motors are "Blueprinted"....have you gotten an answer as yet I know you know what Blueprinting is...this is for those who dont and also would like to know if their shop offered it.

There are 2 types of Blueprinting...Professional and Backyard. Backyard is not a put down...I will explain later.

A professional Blueprint can cost anywhere from $900 to $1500 depending on size and type of motor.

A Backyard Blueprint usually is included in a build.

If a Backyard Blueprint is done correctly...it will give you the same reliability as the professional version BUT will not give the same microscopic accuracy down to the smallest detail that the professional version can give you....but if your car is use on the street and sometimes track....that level of accuracy is not needed.....BUT at the levels we in FI are running...you would hope you atleast have the Backyard version

I wont speak for any shop....I would rather they themselves post what they offer in a build motor.
I have seen reports of Piston scaring engine walls and Oil squarters getting ripped off by pistons....I am quite sure those motors were not blueprinted.

Shop A offers a build with "Backyard Blueprint" motor for 10K

Shop B offers a build WITHOUT the Blueprint but still charges 10K because that's what shop A charges.

Go-fast...you brought up a good question...this will arm the members and elevate the building standards.

Last edited by XKR; 11-08-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:47 AM
kevin8086

greddy TT stock block, over 25k miles beat the **** out of it. 415WHP 395TQ no problems 8.5 psi on pump. now loooking for more power.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by kevin8086
greddy TT stock block, over 25k miles beat the **** out of it. 415WHP 395TQ no problems 8.5 psi on pump. now loooking for more power.
This thread is for built motors...The person that started the thread is trying to get ideas that works well for a build motor and what does not. He is trying to make sure his motor last long this time....
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
kevin8086

Oh really, wow i had no idea from reading all the other posts. Also just because one person has a built motor that lasts doesnt mean the same motor built by the same person will last the same miles.
Originally Posted by XKR
This thread is for built motors...The person that started the thread is trying to get ideas that works well for a build motor and what does not. He is trying to make sure his motor last long this time....
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM
radiologue

see attached thread regarding blueprinted / balanced built engine
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...e-engines.html

spent an enormous amount of money and had a very well built engine (secondarily inspected by Sharif)

Blew head gasket while track driving the car... Overheating issues with the stroker motor. Overall mileage on engine is probably less than 1,500 mi.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by kevin8086
Oh really, wow i had no idea from reading all the other posts. Also just because one person has a built motor that lasts doesnt mean the same motor built by the same person will last the same miles.
Title of thread Built Motor Database

The thread is all about seeing what has worked in the past and what has not. What components work together and which ones wont. There are people out there with built motors that have been running 600+ trouble free for a long time and this thread is trying to collect that info.

I am not trying to be a smartazz...just trying to help.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by radiologue
see attached thread regarding blueprinted / balanced built engine
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...e-engines.html

spent an enormous amount of money and had a very well built engine (secondarily inspected by Sharif)

Blew head gasket while track driving the car... Overheating issues with the stroker motor. Overall mileage on engine is probably less than 1,500 mi.

I saw that post....but you do agree that overheating puts you in a different group. I mean...overheating a perfect blueprint motor is like having a badly built motor to begin with.....you end up with the same result I track my car...and I see temps in the summer at 230+ degrees....Heat can kill even the best of motors....I have been lucky and I have been doing things to keep temps down...even went as far to add a "Twin Turbo Banket" to prevent parts from cooking...

Last edited by XKR; 11-08-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:11 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by XKR
Title of thread Built Motor Database

The thread is all about seeing what has worked in the past and what has not. What components work together and which ones wont. There are people out there with built motors that have been running 600+ trouble free for a long time and this thread is trying to collect that info.

I am not trying to be a smartazz...just trying to help.
Obviously mike gets the point of why I made this thread while some people its clearly going over their head
Old 11-08-2008, 10:38 AM
radiologue

Originally Posted by XKR
I saw that post....but you do agree that overheating puts you in a different group. I mean...overheating a perfect blueprint motor is like having a badly built motor to begin with.....you end up with the same result I track my car...and I see temps in the summer at 230+ degrees....Heat can kill even the best of motors....I have been lucky and I have been doing things to keep temps down...even went as far to add a "Twin Turbo Banket" to prevent parts from cooking...

Heat----that was kind of my point... heat being a big issue for sleeved blocks like mine.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
Rome...sorry for OT..

Yes....but if someone has never seen all the artist draw or seen their art...how can they say one art is better than the other

Before someone can come on here and say that one shop builds motors better than the other....you have to get all shops mentioned to build the exact motor and get a 3rd party to decide who is better than the other. Put all motors on an engine dyno run them for equal amounts of time...disassemble the motor and do measurements.

Until then..all we can do is speculate...Shop A build motor...Shop B installed motor...motor fails...who's fault is it We don't know for sure...its still in the middle even from the results posted....Members 1,2,3 & 4 got their motors from shop A...they end up with similar results..failed motors. Motors were installed at different shops...so yes...its most likely would be an issue with Shop A...BUT if all 4 motors involved was installed at the same shop...it would once again go back to the center as speculation who is at fault.

Now for someone to come on here and say one shop is better than another at assembling a motor...that person needs to also mention in the same statement that THEY themselves are a qualified engine builder and has visited Shop A, B, C, & D and they have found said shop/s lacking in assembly skills.

So to come on here with TASTELESS plugging of a shop before doing the above helps no one ...but helps to take this thread in a direction that Romey did not intend it to go.

go-fast...this is not directed at you

Very true Mike , but then remember you've still got other unknown variables such as the tuner and owner/maintenance. I know what you're getting at though, but unfortunately in this scenario there are so many interdependant factors. So, while I think the thread is a good idea in a general sense of things, trying to derive absolutes or even "do a, and not b" is still going to be a nearly impossible endeavor. I do think the cause is a noble one though (I don't mean that in any sort of obnoxious or snide way at all btw, just can't think of a better way to put it!). Hopefully over the course of time, the bar will be raised in terms of the quality of work. As I know you know, the best parts in the world never guarantee you a great outcome, or even a decent outcome.

Good engine builders are out there guys...but like anything else in life where significant money is involved, you have to research, research, research...and often be willing to do so in a different community from your own. It's the same when trying to find the right home contractor, the right doctor, etc. The engine builder is ultimately far more important than the selection of components. Unfortunately, and it's a tough habit to break I agree, people often put the cart before the horse and anally research the hard parts without necessarily putting the same level of research into who is responsible for making those parts work seamlessly with one another. Trust me, the latter is far more critical than the former.

Sorry if this deviated off topic r0mey - I'm looking forward to you being able to post some good news on your car in the immediate future, and then being able to back it up with successful long term reports too. You've been through the ringer on the car, as it seems many here have been....you deserve some good fortune instead of disappointment

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-08-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by radiologue
Heat----that was kind of my point... heat being a big issue for sleeved blocks like mine.
I hear you.....for road racing sleeves is a no no Did you list what was used in your build? Did you rebuild..did you sleeve again?

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Very true Mike , but then remember you've still got other unknown variables such as the tuner and owner/maintenance. I know what you're getting at though, but unfortunately in this scenario there are so many interdependant factors. So, while I think the thread is a good idea in a general sense of things, trying to derive absolutes or even "do a, and not b" is still going to be a nearly impossible endeavor. I do think the cause is a noble one though (I don't mean that in any sort of obnoxious or snide way at all btw, just can't think of a better way to put it!). Hopefully over the course of time, the bar will be raised in terms of the quality of work. As I know you know, the best parts in the world never guarantee you a great outcome, or even a decent outcome.

Good engine builders are out there guys...but like anything else in life where significant money is involved, you have to research, research, research...and often be willing to do so in a different community from your own. It's the same when trying to find the right home contractor, the right doctor, etc. The engine builder is ultimately far more important than the selection of components. Unfortunately, and it's a tough habit to break I agree, people often put the cart before the horse and anally research the hard parts without necessarily putting the same level of research into who is responsible for making those parts work seamlessly with one another. Trust me, the latter is far more critical than the former.

Sorry if this deviated off topic r0mey - I'm looking forward to you being able to post some good news on your car in the immediate future, and then being able to back it up with successful long term reports too. You've been through the ringer on the car, as it seems many here have been....you deserve some good fortune instead of disappointment
I agree Adam...I did not want to get into all the variables....

Last edited by XKR; 11-08-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:51 PM
radiologue

[QUOTE=XKR;6532196]I hear you.....for road racing sleeves is a no no Did you list what was used in your build? Did you rebuild..did you sleeve again?

Brian Crower Stroker (4.15L)
Crankshaft: Brian Crower 86.4 mm Stroke
Pistons: CP 100 mmm
Darton MID sleeves
ERL 4 Point Main Girdle
Rings: CP
Rods: Brian Crower (Part#: BC6228) C/L to C/L 5.675, Bores 2.165/0.866
Main Bearings: ACL (part# 4M2633HX-Std)
Rod Bearings: ACL (part#: 6B2640HX-Std)
Thrust Bearings: ACL (part#: 2T2633-Std)
ARP Main Stud Kit
Tomei 272 cams
HKS 1000cc injectors (Currently APS 880's)
APS extreme system with turbos / intercooler, 3"exhaust, cat delete...
CJM fuel system (had problems with APS fuel system)
HKS FCON V PRO
Koyo radiator... bla bla bla

There's really nothing wrong with the engine other than the fact that I did not build it for purposes that I ended up using it for (tracking)... Sharif is replacing the head gasket, exchanging injectors, changing the APS twin pump fuel system to the CJM twin pump system, fixing a few minor problems, and tune and return to be used as my street monster. I have purchased a porsche racecar to run on the track and have abandoned any aspirations of tracking the Z with its current engine. I can't see tossing my current engine away. It's going to make some sick horsepower, but I will not be heading to the track (road racing) with it until I decide to build another engine.

Last edited by radiologue; 11-08-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

One more question real off topic but can everyone list what injectors they are running as well
Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 AM
XKR

**updated**

Quick Reply: Built Motor Database