Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rcdash,

I don't think you'll find the fitting you are looking for.

You should just drill out and tap the valve cover for whatever size fitting you want to use.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
rcdash,

I don't think you'll find the fitting you are looking for.

You should just drill out and tap the valve cover for whatever size fitting you want to use.
Ok - I've tried and there are a few UK shops with some not-quite-what-I-want stuff, but that's it. Any safe way to do that with the valve cover on? I expect not. I hate to end up with a valve cover leak putting it back together. Is it a PITA or easy to get it all back together?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:56 AM
GreenGoblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am goning to keep following this, I bought a jaz catch can with a built in breather and a one way valve to vent the pressure... I havent had time to install it yet but in theory it should work well
Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by rcdash
Ok - I've tried and there are a few UK shops with some not-quite-what-I-want stuff, but that's it. Any safe way to do that with the valve cover on? I expect not. I hate to end up with a valve cover leak putting it back together. Is it a PITA or easy to get it all back together?

it is not hard to take the valve cover off. It will make for an easy afternoon weekend project. I would remove it, then drill and tap it. You don't want plastic scraps falling into your valve cover.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
rrmedicx

So very simply you want to drill out the stock PCV valve on the pass side and install a type of AN fitting style connector and add a PCV to prevent boost pressure from invading the crank case.

Do I have this right?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
So very simply you want to drill out the stock PCV valve on the pass side and install a type of AN fitting style connector and add a PCV to prevent boost pressure from invading the crank case.

Do I have this right?
Based on the prelim data I have so far, at high rpms/boost, oil return may be impeded by elevated crankcase pressure, so yes i want to reduce the level of elevation in this condition. The PCV valve needs to remain so that under high vacuum at idle, the plenum does not suck too great a qty of oil out of the cc. The plan is to move it to after the catch can, but before the plenum.

A complicating variable is that oil pressure also increases in this condition and I don't know that this isn't the more relevant issue, one for which I have no control or fix. This will be very much a trial and error process. so I am ambivalent about pursuing it. It was my understanding that valve cover gaskets cannot be ordered separately, so new valve covers are required to undertake this "mod".

Last edited by rcdash; 11-14-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:29 PM
QuadCam

you can reuse the valve cover gaskets without a problem.

I think you are thinking about the gaskets that seal off the spark plug tubes.....those gaskets are not replaceable.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM
tony_t

are you guys trying to just drill the pcv valve itself or modify the valve cover in some way.(wondering why the valve cover has to come off instead of valve) Im curious, I think I could benefit from this.

I went f/i a few months ago and havent really quite dialed in my pcv breather setup yet. I am curious to your setup. you have a catch can between your pcv and your manifold. and you are wanting to move your pcv between the CC and your manifold? Where is your vent line from your turbo plumbed at?

Sorry if this sounds confusing its late im tired

Last edited by tony_t; 11-14-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:17 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its late and i just got back from the bar so correct me if im thinking wrong, but just going off the top of my head here.....

in vacuum, the passenger side is allowing CCP to suck into the intake manifold, any vacuum is relieved by fresh air drawn on the driver side.

in boost, the passenger side shuts, and the vacuum from the turbo will relieve pressure by sucking on the driver side in theory, but at the very least just allow pressure to escape into the intake.

the driver side opening is restricted on the inside, try opening it up.

if you are going to use a PCV valve and run the passenger side back to the intake, it doesnt matter how much you open it up with a larger fitting, because once your in boost its going to shut anyway.

you could try opening the driver side for more ventilation, leave the passenger side how it is except use a bulkhead fitting on the rear to run a hose to the passenger side turbo effectly doubling the pressure relief. run a catch can inbetween if you want to keep the oil out of the intake?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 AM
Blackbird CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone try using a Vacuum pump from a LT1 car?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:26 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by phunk
its late and i just got back from the bar so correct me if im thinking wrong, but just going off the top of my head here.....

in vacuum, the passenger side is allowing CCP to suck into the intake manifold, any vacuum is relieved by fresh air drawn on the driver side.

in boost, the passenger side shuts, and the vacuum from the turbo will relieve pressure by sucking on the driver side in theory, but at the very least just allow pressure to escape into the intake.

if you are going to use a PCV valve and run the passenger side back to the intake, it doesnt matter how much you open it up with a larger fitting, because once your in boost its going to shut anyway.

you could try opening the driver side for more ventilation, leave the passenger side how it is except use a bulkhead fitting on the rear to run a hose to the passenger side turbo effectly doubling the pressure relief. run a catch can inbetween if you want to keep the oil out of the intake?

That sounds just right to me. I am running both turbo inlets to a catch can and then from the catch can to the back of the drivers valve cover.

I put a new pcv valve and then put a check valve in between the pcv and the intake manifold. I though i heard somewhere that the stock valve leaks a little under boost. But iirc correctly the hole in the pcv is tiny.'

I like the idea of a bulkhead on the p.side cover. You would think even if you were building pressure in the c.c. its going to be at its highest when you are on throttle hard, most likely in boost. So like Phunk said if you are in boost the PCV is going to be closed and its going to vent out of the d.side cover.

http://www.cab-mart.com/shop/uploads..._large/700.jpg

that would be cool but I have room issure already lol. that would be a mother f'r to mount
Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Blackbird CPV35

heres a cool writeup using an lt1 smog pump

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/gen...-pump-how.html
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 PM
cersoft

A question, does anyone see an issue with connecting driver side intake to BOTH passenger side pcv AND driver side valve cover so that under boost air is being pulled from both ???
Old 11-16-2008, 08:33 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as they are not joined stock, i can imagine umetered air is bad
Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
cersoft

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I'm not sure what you are saying as the check valves ensure that no unmetered air is taken into the plenum ...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 PM
tony_t

Originally Posted by cersoft
A question, does anyone see an issue with connecting driver side intake to BOTH passenger side pcv AND driver side valve cover so that under boost air is being pulled from both ???
Are you saying to disconnect the pcv from the intake manifold and just run it to the intake? Im not sure you would gain anything from doing that. Actually if you did what Phunk mentioned and put a bulkhead on then plumbed it to the p.side valvecover leaving the pcv untouched. I think that would work well.

correct me if im wrong but the pcv mainly helps vent at light load and idle. I am not sure you would get the suction needed from just the intakes to vent enough pressure. My intakes have draft tubes that go to the d.side valve cover and you cant really feel any suction. but you def. can if you put your finger over that tube that goes to the pcv and start your car.

In a bone stock setup.. yes the d.side vent tube draws air from after the MAF so it is allowing metered air into the c.c.

however...not meaning to sound like a dick, but most us here on this thread are dealing with far from stock setups from what I gather. My car for instance is a custom blow-through tt setup.

It is blow through so connecting the d.side vent tube to metered is not possible unless I want a boost leak. So in theory.. yes I am allowing unmetered air into my engine. Is it enough to make a difference? apparently not my car idles perfect with no complaints.

I think i got that right.... its bedtime
Old 11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
cersoft

Originally Posted by tony_t
Are you saying to disconnect the pcv from the intake manifold and just run it to the intake? Im not sure you would gain anything from doing that. Actually if you did what Phunk mentioned and put a bulkhead on then plumbed it to the p.side valvecover leaving the pcv untouched. I think that would work well.

correct me if im wrong but the pcv mainly helps vent at light load and idle. I am not sure you would get the suction needed from just the intakes to vent enough pressure. My intakes have draft tubes that go to the d.side valve cover and you cant really feel any suction. but you def. can if you put your finger over that tube that goes to the pcv and start your car.
Rcdash: I'm not trying to hijack the thread so sorry for my questions ...

Here is a pic of my setup, I have check valves in place to ensure that no unmetered air is drawn into the plenum and no pressure from the plenum (under boost) is allowed into the C.C ...

Name:  enginePCVrouting000e.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  74.7 KB

Check valve #1 is in place to ensure that no boost goes from plenum back into system, check valve #2 is there to ensure that no un-metered air is drawn into plenum.

It is kinda hard to see from the picture but I have the d-side T'd to the intake (before turbo) AND to the p-side ... the p-side also goes to the plenum ...

So my question was that under boost the intake will be sucking on both the d-side AND the p-side, is this an issue?

Colin
Old 11-17-2008, 06:20 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by phunk

My plumbing is a little different. My driver's side is an open breather. I have the vacuum generated by the driver's side turbo inlet T'd to the vacuum generated by the plenum with check valves on both allowing flow in only one direction. The single suction hose goes to a catch can. The catch can goes to the PCV valve currently. So under vacuum or under boost, air should be flowing from the driver's side breather, through the driver's side valve cover, across to the passenger side, out the PCV, into the catch can and then either to the plenum or to the driver's side turbo inlet depending on which has more vacuum.

The purpose of this plumbing is to:
(A) ensure that there is always crankcase ventilation even under boost (with your setup, under boost, PCV is closed off, and driver's side is releasing pressure, but there is no source for fresh air/ventilation)
(B) provide a safety release that still does not introduce oil into the intake (driver's side open breather w/ filter).

EDIT: opening the driver's side portal a bit seems like the best 1st step to improve my setup - thanks for confirming that recommendation...

Last edited by rcdash; 11-17-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by cersoft
Rcdash: I'm not trying to hijack the thread so sorry for my questions ...

Here is a pic of my setup, I have check valves in place to ensure that no unmetered air is drawn into the plenum and no pressure from the plenum (under boost) is allowed into the C.C ...

Check valve #1 is in place to ensure that no boost goes from plenum back into system, check valve #2 is there to ensure that no un-metered air is drawn into plenum.

It is kinda hard to see from the picture but I have the d-side T'd to the intake (before turbo) AND to the p-side ... the p-side also goes to the plenum ...

So my question was that under boost the intake will be sucking on both the d-side AND the p-side, is this an issue?

Colin
I tried this setup and I thought it would be optimal. I found that you will generate minimal vacuum in the crankcase (a single turbo intake does not generate that much suction apparently), which is fine and dandy but what happens if it can't evacuate enough? Or if one of the hoses collapses (use R7 or R9 injection hosing!)? Crank case pressure will build during boost. Also, by sucking out of passenger and driver's side, you do not get good ventilation. Blow by gases contain fuel and these vapors need to be evacuated - that's the whole point of positive crankcase ventilation used in all OEM setups today.

So I ended up with an open breather on the driver's side as a "safety" with the thought that it should only be providing a portal for fresh air entry. It is unmetered air, but I have a MAP setup so it's not a big deal for me...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:30 AM
tony_t

I think I like the sounds of your setup RC. With my current setup I dont have a provision to allow fresh air into the crack case (except maybe a little that comes in from the intakes instead of out). Both turbo inlets suck out the d.side valve cover and then my pcv is hooked up stock like factory but with an extra check valve.

My catch can is between my turbo inlets and the d.side cover. Like you said the turbo inlets dont create much suction. I actually think most of time except under boost that the d.side is letting some fresh air in but under boost the pcv valve will close and then the turbos will draw air out of the C.C. but wont allow any air in.

I think I need to re-route some lines and set it up like yours with an open breather.

I am still using a MAF but it does not seem to be bothered by the small amount of air that the PCV allows in. My idle is good, my mix is good and so are my trims. (AEM f/ic)

Quick Reply: NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?