Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:05 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyC
By opening up the PCV, you mean drilling it out so that it's no longer a "valve"? Wouldn't this cause a vacuum leak condition with the breather on the driver's side?
you would need to use a check valve if you drill out or remove the PCV.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by thawk408
Drill it out and run both the driver/passenger valve covers to a catch can, then to a turbo inlet pipe. This will create a vacuum, although its not very much of one. Or you could run both open if you really want. There doesnt "have" to be a vacuum applied.

Having vacuum on only the passenger side will work also, but it is not normally how people do crankcase evac systems. Pretty much PCV ftl.
the valve covers are already connected. there is a hose that goes under the intake manifold that connects the 2 valve cover for PCV use.

In this pic, you can see where the line is. In my setup, I removed the plastic nipples from the valve covers and drill and tapped it for use with AN fittings and -4AN line.

Name:  valvecover1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  48.0 KB
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 AM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet setup. I know the valve covers are already connected.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thawk408
Drill it out and run both the driver/passenger valve covers to a catch can, then to a turbo inlet pipe. This will create a vacuum, although its not very much of one.

Having vacuum on only the passenger side will work also, but it is not normally how people do crankcase evac systems. Pretty much PCV ftl.
This sounds like a good idea.
But after reading your previous link, it seems that having an exhaust slash-cut is a better idea. The exhaust will create the same amount of vacuum. In addition, the turbo,IC & motor will not get all of the CC ventilation.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about this
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/i...?topic=96426.0 (ohh yeah, bottom part of that smog pump thread goes off topic some and is NSFW)

for less than 100$ you can have a vacuum pumped setup.

I assume you'd just put the pump on the pax side drilled out pcv?

Last edited by str8dum1; 11-27-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:06 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by weslutes
This sounds like a good idea.
But after reading your previous link, it seems that having an exhaust slash-cut is a better idea. The exhaust will create the same amount of vacuum. In addition, the turbo,IC & motor will not get all of the CC ventilation.
Either is fine I think. Some still think the exhaust slash cut will create pressure with an exhaust system that is not "open-header" like. I also wouldnt feel bad about not running a vacuum source on the valve covers.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by QuadCam
the valve covers are already connected. there is a hose that goes under the intake manifold that connects the 2 valve cover for PCV use.

In this pic, you can see where the line is. In my setup, I removed the plastic nipples from the valve covers and drill and tapped it for use with AN fittings and -4AN line.

Very cool. not meaning to hijack, but are you feeding one rail and looping it into the other rail for return?

And what type of fitting did you plumb into the valve cover. o-ring sealed?

something like this maybe?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 11-30-2008, 11:27 PM
bikinilust

Originally Posted by QuadCam

Im interested in how you tapped the AN fitting to the Valve Cover. Isnt the valve cover plastic? Also, on a NA vehicle, would connecting the 2 valve covers [like you did] be ok? I would rather not use a catch can, which will not eliminate blow by, and do what you did. And finally, should one do this to a NA car, should one put a breather on the Driver side PVC? or leave it connected to the intake? Thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bikinilust
Im interested in how you tapped the AN fitting to the Valve Cover. Isnt the valve cover plastic? Also, on a NA vehicle, would connecting the 2 valve covers [like you did] be ok? I would rather not use a catch can, which will not eliminate blow by, and do what you did. And finally, should one do this to a NA car, should one put a breather on the Driver side PVC? or leave it connected to the intake? Thanks
The valve covers are already connected. Quad broke off one of his hose fittings on the valve cover and decided to tap the valve cover and use -AN fittings. You can tap plastic. This is a fix for FI. There is no point on a NA car.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
QuadCam

Jet is right. I broke off one of the nipples on the valve cover, and the setup you see is the result. lucky break, huh?!?! the valve covers are joined together just like the stock set up.

also to Tony T,

no....each fuel rail has its own feed. you could loop them around though......with enough fuel flow, it should make a difference.

finally, the fittings I put into the valve covers are 1/8" NPT to 90 degree -4AN Swivel fittings. no o-rings or gaskets.....just a good tight NPT fitting with thread sealer.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:14 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

is this where everyone is tapping for their breather filter?
Attached Thumbnails NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?-valvecover1.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by doug
Yup
Old 12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
doug

Yup
thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
Just a breather there, or a catch can with a breather on one end?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
bikinilust

what size breather is everyone using? ANy part numbers or links would be greatly appreciated :-)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only crank case breather that they sell at any autoparts store.
its a generic part.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM
JonnyC

The breather port is 5/8" I believe, and the ones they usually sell at the store are something like 3/8". If that's all you can find, I would just leave the stock hose on the breather, but spin it 180 degrees so that it sits behind the intake plenum. Then use a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter to connect the breather filter to hose. If you angle the hose up a bit, it will also help prevent the filter from getting soaked with oil (which might happen if you are F/I).
Old 12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
bikinilust

Im usually not one to buy generic parts due to their usual lack in quality and Id rather go with the right size rather than do a conversion. I believe K&N sells breather filters @ many different sizes and "Push-in" and "Push-On" versions
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
doug

The breather port is 5/8" I believe, and the ones they usually sell at the store are something like 3/8". If that's all you can find, I would just leave the stock hose on the breather, but spin it 180 degrees so that it sits behind the intake plenum. Then use a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter to connect the breather filter to hose. If you angle the hose up a bit, it will also help prevent the filter from getting soaked with oil (which might happen if you are F/I).
what is the hose currently connected to from the valve cover.. the intake pipe? i know it was on my maxima
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
ToastZ

Here is the link to the KN part numbers for their crankcase breathers. They come in all sizes including 3/8 and 5/8

http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

Quick Reply: NE1 removed PCV on passenger side valve cover?