Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab single vs. ASP twins

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Lawy'dU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm, a single turbo kit is never better than a twin turbo kit. The twin kit offers much more usable power. I love the powerlab kit, but between that and a twin turbo kit, TT > single T any day of the week.

Plus a tt kit is much more OEM looking since you can't see the turbos

OP, talk to your tuner and do extensive research before pulling the trigger. also don't just listen to quicksilver and the other intense fanboys

Last edited by Lawy'dU; 11-13-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we go....
Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
OP, talk to your tuner and do extensive research before pulling the trigger.

Do what works for YOU. I will be doing some work on my car MYSELF to correct some rattles and pi$$-poor installation very soon. I might be ale to help you in the future with questions, but jeffie is the DIY authority for the PL kit at this time
Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
djtimodj

Thanks again for all the help on this one guys. I'm gonna get some pics sent off to PL to make sure the kit will fit the RHD cars.

I have been looking in to the cost of each system base on a stock block build for now.

I'm looking at the tuner kit in both the PL and APS kits as my car is going in to have haltech fitted in the next few weeks.

The PL kit is $5500 + shipping to the UK will be around $500 + import duty to the UK $1000 approx. So all in $7000 to get the kit to my door. A local shop want £1000 to fit or I may DIY fit as you don't have to remove the engine with the PL kit.

The APS kit is £6144 (around $11000 I think?) fully fitted.

I'm looking at the AAM or CJM stage one fuel return ($1000) and deaschworks 600cc injectors.

So all in for fuel system,EMS and turbo kit:

PL kit will cost me $11000 USD if I fit the kit myself.
APS will cost me $15000 USD fully fitted by the UK APS dealer.

Taking the cost into the decision what option is looking the best bet so far?
I still like the fact the APS kit is fitted and has a UK dealer where as the PL kit is all from abroud.

What do you think people?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 AM
UMW350Z

Originally Posted by djtimodj
Thanks again for all the help on this one guys. I'm gonna get some pics sent off to PL to make sure the kit will fit the RHD cars.

I have been looking in to the cost of each system base on a stock block build for now.

I'm looking at the tuner kit in both the PL and APS kits as my car is going in to have haltech fitted in the next few weeks.

The PL kit is $5500 + shipping to the UK will be around $500 + import duty to the UK $1000 approx. So all in $7000 to get the kit to my door. A local shop want £1000 to fit or I may DIY fit as you don't have to remove the engine with the PL kit.

I'm looking at the AAM or CJM stage one fuel return ($1000) and deaschworks 600cc injectors.

I still like the fact the APS kit is fitted and has a UK dealer where as the PL kit is all from abroud.

If you DIY, you will know what to do when something goes wrong.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

If money was no issue or the 4k difference wasn't an issue then i'd go Twin all day.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
SlideFox

Are you going to have DSA do the install on the APS kit??

Either way... They are a really good shop... I've heard of them through friends and family in the UK. They should be able to do either kit; whichever route you go.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 AM
djtimodj

The $4k between the two kits is not what will decide what kit I use. The comment twins beat singles allday? Horse's for corse's big singles are great on a supra that can rev to 9k rpm but have the DE non rev up with 6.6k rpm limit.

If I did fit the PL kit it would be a fun job on jack stands in my garage but it would be good for fault finding after the install.

DS Automotives (DSA) would be fitting the APS kit. They have fitted 13 APS twin kits in the last few years and have a built 550whp demo zed. I do think theyknow what there doing and have been great over the phone with all my stupid questioNs! I justdont like the idea of not having my car for 2 weeks while the fit the kit over 300 miles away!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
SlideFox

The $4k between the two kits is not what will decide what kit I use. The comment twins beat singles allday? Horse's for corse's big singles are great on a supra that can rev to 9k rpm but have the DE non rev up with 6.6k rpm limit.

If I did fit the PL kit it would be a fun job on jack stands in my garage but it would be good for fault finding after the install.

DS Automotives (DSA) would be fitting the APS kit. They have fitted 13 APS twin kits in the last few years and have a built 550whp demo zed. I do think theyknow what there doing and have been great over the phone with all my stupid questioNs! I justdont like the idea of not having my car for 2 weeks while the fit the kit over 300 miles away!
What part of the UK are you in?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4...5406078bp1.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...113633AM-1.jpg

@3100rpms apstt 328lbstq 192whp PL w/GT35r 300lbstq 175whp (PL-APS) -2lbstq -17whp
@4200rpms apstt 350lbstq 292whp PL w/GT35r 360lbstq 280whp (PL-APS) +10lbstq -12whp
@5300rpms apstt 340lbstq 348whp PL w/GT35r 367lbstq 370whp (PL-APS) +27lbstq +22whp
@5850rpms apstt 330lbstq 370whp PL w/GT35r 350lbstq 390whp (PL-APS) +20lbstq +20whp
@6400rpms apstt 280lbstq 360whp PL w/GT35r 310lbstq 378whp (PL-APS) +30lbstq +18whp

we are talking about a gt35r here its plenty responsive and make great power all the way to the end!.

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I just wanted to remind everybody certain aspects of TOU you all seem to be ignoring for one reason or another:

2.) DISCRIMINATION
The forum has people from many walks of life. People's religion, race, political beliefs, age, sexual preference, etc., vary immensely. Please be mature and caring towards others. Offenders will receive one warning only and failure to comply after that will result in being banned. If you have a personal problem with someone on the forum resolve it by private messaging. - NOT on this board or posting in the forum. MY350Z.COM will not tolerate abuse (e.g. racial slurs, etc.) of another member.

10.) HARASSMENT/FLAMING
Any harassment of other members will not be tolerated. Name calling, picking fights, etc. Do not make posts that incite arguments, or any post that turns to arguments and flame wars, etc. Posts of this nature will not be tolerated and can result in the immediate closing or deletion or editing of the post and the banishment of the posting members account. Any insults or harassments towards staff members, including board ownership (that is, Internet Brands aka IB), will result in instant banishment.

Keep the posts on topic and please be civil. Please consider this a public warning to ALL.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
TRYNALIVEPRO

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

are those scratches or something wrapped around it
Attached Thumbnails Powerlab single vs. ASP twins-77.jpg  
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powerlabs wraps everything with the plastic wrap then bubble wrap then tape. I left the wrap on the piping to keep scratching while installing to a min.

That's the after shot.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 PM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by TRYNALIVEPRO
are those scratches or something wrapped around it
Edit: Jeffie beat me to it
Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is the Powerlab Kit is a great kit but it needs work...im sure after a few revisions, it will be perfect.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:32 AM
djtimodj

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Bottom line is the Powerlab Kit is a great kit but it needs work...im sure after a few revisions, it will be perfect.
That what i have been thinking, The PL is a good kit but not yet as well refined as the APS kit.

While im saving the cash up i hope PL come out with a version 2 with some better up dates and sort some of the niggles out!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Mark,

Your opinion has been noted in this and many other threads, but not shared by many, other than yourself.

The only consistent variable that has been mentioned regarding qc is the weld for the wastegate, which has now been reinforced. I have seen posts from 2-3 others who had the same issue, but out of the 30-40 or so kits that have been sold, those are the only people who share the same issue.

Jeffie, as well as several other PL end users have pointed out in every instance where you posted your problems that they did not share your opinion, and have posted countless pics proving their side. As I've now stated on numerous occasions: you will never be satisfied with your kit, nor will you ever be happy with the details of your transaction. So, while your tireless posts to discredit the quality and fitment of PL kits seem to be, well, tireless, it should now be readily apparent to you that the proponents of the kits (end users and vendors) will never tire in their support and continual posts to counter your anomalous critique of said kit. To that end, it is a public, free forum, and by all means, keep posting your opinions. Just note that, while the clock keeps ticking, and more and more kits get sold, you sir are still the ONLY one that cries alone in the dark about 99% of the issues you are stating to be factually correct about this kit as a whole..

Darren
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ nice use of the word anomalous. Just trying to lighten the mood for the OP.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
Mark,

Your opinion has been noted in this and many other threads, but not shared by many, other than yourself.

The only consistent variable that has been mentioned regarding qc is the weld for the wastegate, which has now been reinforced. I have seen posts from 2-3 others who had the same issue, but out of the 30-40 or so kits that have been sold, those are the only people who share the same issue.

Jeffie, as well as several other PL end users have pointed out in every instance where you posted your problems that they did not share your opinion, and have posted countless pics proving their side. As I've now stated on numerous occasions: you will never be satisfied with your kit, nor will you ever be happy with the details of your transaction. So, while your tireless posts to discredit the quality and fitment of PL kits seem to be, well, tireless, it should now be readily apparent to you that the proponents of the kits (end users and vendors) will never tire in their support and continual posts to counter your anomalous critique of said kit. To that end, it is a public, free forum, and by all means, keep posting your opinions. Just note that, while the clock keeps ticking, and more and more kits get sold, you sir are still the ONLY one that cries alone in the dark about 99% of the issues you are stating to be factually correct about this kit as a whole..

Darren

ig*no*rantadjective

<table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex">1.</td> <td>lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">2.</td> <td>lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr> <td class="dnindex">3.</td> <td>uninformed; unaware.</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table class="luna-Ent"><tbody><tr><td class="dnindex">4.</td> <td>due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement. </td></tr></tbody></table>

With that being said...

The people who "counter my anomalous critique of said kit" are your 2 bandwagon sallies to which neither of whom even own a running car with a powerlab kit. And if you think that 99.99% of these people read everything between us and think im "nuts" or a simply dont know what im doing....please refer to the word above.
And its funny how you mention that im the only one..well in a way I am. It was YOU who told me my kit was different from everyone elses and that it would fit different. So if thats the case then the gt35r kit might be fine but the 37r needs alot of work..correct?

Also, do you really think people don't notice a pattern of the attacks made by you and your "friends"? Anytime someone has ANYTHING negative to say about you, powerlab, or proefi the bandwagon(consisting primarily of people who have cars that don't run) attacks as do you with your "professionaly written" remarks. I think its funny that ive delt with at least 3 other shops..on a fairly regular basis and ive had no issues with any of them. I even had a shop sell me injectors and I paid to have them overnighted so I could have them for the weekend. Well, there was an error with shipping and they were sent out standard leaving me stranded for the weekend. HOWEVER, I was informed immediately of the delay(which you failed to do, on a regular basis) and he appoligized stating it was his fault. Thats what customer service is. And I would buy from them again in a heartbeat. Its sad that it has to come down to this middleschool drama. Im done arguing with you. And I encourage people to read the posts between us. Im not doing this to "get back" at you. Im simply stating my experience. And you know what? Maybe I am the only person(which I highly doubt) who has had an issue like this with you, but it should of been dealt with in private instead of having one of your "customers" openly attack me on this board sparking this conflict.