Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlab single vs. ASP twins

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Powerlab single vs. ASP twins

Guys i have searched and did not find any threads on this?

Im looking into FI and am leaning towards the APS tuner kit at the moment.
Just looking for some one with experence of the two? I road race the zed and need something with a meaty power band and good throttle response.

Any one have any boost charts for the powerlab compared to the APS twins?
Also the quality of the kit must be very good. As OEM fitment as possible.

I have drive a single turbo mkIII supra and love the feeling of spool, any ideas what kit will give the best spool feeling?

Thanks for any replys guys.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

certainly powerlab IMO... fitment is tight since the piping is the biggest of all single turbo kits out there. GT35r is pretty responsive and good to 650whp...

what size turbo did you use in your supra? you know the VQ will out perform a 2jz easy with the same size turbo....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Here's a dyno from before on a completely stock engine @ 20 psi w/ the PowerLab Stage 1 Turbo System (.82 A/R) GT35R

[/
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 AM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you referring to a completely stock VQ engine with a PL turbo in that dyno?

Last edited by coachk; 11-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
djtimodj

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
certainly powerlab IMO... fitment is tight since the piping is the biggest of all single turbo kits out there. GT35r is pretty responsive and good to 650whp...

what size turbo did you use in your supra? you know the VQ will out perform a 2jz easy with the same size turbo....
The supra was my dads! Im not sure on turbo size because it had a boost logic turbo on it when he got it. Looked about the same size a GT35 tho?

Im not quite sure what you showing on the dyno above ? Stock power lab kit on a 3.5L built motor? Stock ant gonna take 20psi of boost?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id go ASP JK my opinion is powerlab
Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
Here's a dyno from before on a completely stock engine @ 20 psi w/ the PowerLab Stage 1 Turbo System (.82 A/R) GT35R

[/
Plenty of power, but I don't like the curve. Are you sure that's stock, btw - 20 psi on pump gas on a stock motor? Is that the engine blowing at 5300 rpms?

To the OP, I'd dig around and find a pump gas dyno for each kit and compare the two. It should give you a sense for how each will feel when boost kicks in... If you're not building your motor, I would think the APS twins would provide much better midrange and daily driving characteristics. If you are building and looking for peak power in excess of 600 whp, then a big single may be the ticket.

Last edited by rcdash; 11-10-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 AM
djtimodj

Im not looking to build the motor as of yet, may be in a year or two. Another thing is will the powerlab 35r kit fir a RHD car ?? Im not sure if any one has tryed it on a RHD car yet?

If the 35r kit is makeing full boost around 3.5K rpm i could live with that. The reason i dont mind a little lag is when driving normally you can just tease the motor (Let the turbo spool a little and shift just before all hell breaks lose! lol)

Thanks for the info guys im gonna try and get some dynos for the two kits and over lay them.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 AM
IIQuickSilverII

lol

no that was just a dyno i had of the PL gt35r kit on a, yes, completly stock engine...this was just a trying to push the stock block as much as possible in the name of "research" lol

here is a better dyno

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 11-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:30 AM
twin001

I might get flamed for this but I just can't get over the cheap materials in the APS kit....specifically the intake tubing. The PowerLab kit is made from very high quality materials throughout. Why don't you add the JWT kit to your list? The last thing you want to do is go cheap on an FI kit.

EDIT: what are you looking for powerwise? Top end? Quick response? This is very important when choosing between these tow very different kits.

Last edited by twin001; 11-10-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM
UMW350Z

it would be good to see very similar hpr Z's (one APS and the other PL) make a pull starting at 2500 rpms through one gear (3rd or 4th)...I think the APS will win...less lag.

The PL has a little bit of lag, you need to run it into the high RPMs to feel the kick. It begins to spin 1st around 4500 and if conditions are right it spins 2nd around 5200-5500 rpms (5.8 psi spring).

If you go to the road course, go twins. Massive, peaky power will spin you out

Make sure you really know what you want to use it for before deciding.

Last edited by UMW350Z; 11-10-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by twin001
I might get flamed for this but I just can't get over the cheap materials in the APS kit....specifically the intake tubing. The PowerLab kit is made from very high quality materials throughout. Why don't you add the JWT kit to your list? The last thing you want to do is go cheap on an FI kit.

EDIT: what are you looking for powerwise? Top end? Quick response? This is very important when choosing between these tow very different kits.
I always thought the APS had cheap material!!!

To the OP, as far as it fitting on a RHD Z33, you would have to check and see if the header locations are the same. With the steering shaft and knuckle on the opposite side, it does give more room for the DP on the passenger side, but you would have to check and see if everything lines up.

You might be forced to go with an APS kit or the HKS kit since they have RHD versions of there kits.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
djtimodj

Why is it that you think the aps kit is cheap in the quality? I've heard many reviews saying it's one of the best fitting and built kits out there?

I'm looking for a kit that will give you great response and not peaky (nothing untill 4k rpm then power screams up as it come up on boost) power. On my local road corse I would say I'm never lower than 4k rpm so I would allways be on boost with both kits.

I'm just want to know what kit will give you the best "kick in the ***" as it spools up. I think the aps will respond more like a big block NA engine in power curve, where as the PL kit may have a steeper power curve as it spools?

What do you think guys.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
djtimodj

Why is it that you think the aps kit is cheap in the quality? I've heard many reviews saying it's one of the best fitting and built kits out there?

I'm looking for a kit that will give you great response and not peaky (nothing untill 4k rpm then power screams up as it come up on boost) power. On my local road corse I would say I'm never lower than 4k rpm so I would allways be on boost with both kits.

I'm just want to know what kit will give you the best "kick in the ***" as it spools up. I think the aps will respond more like a big block NA engine in power curve, where as the PL kit may have a steeper power curve as it spools?

What do you think guys.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Driver06

How can you say that the APS uses cheap materials? APS is one of the most complete, well put together kits out there. Asside from the intake tubing, which isnt that bad, what do you think is cheap?
APS will spool considerably quicker, but it all comes down to personal preference IMO..
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by djtimodj

What do you think guys.

I just think the APS kit looks cheap, with there Muffler hose intake tube, and a few other things.

Anyways, the APS Kit will give you a quicler spool, since it's a smaller turbo. The Powerlab kit with give you, what I call "The Supra Effect". Where you are getting good power in the low end, and then WAW insta spool at like 4,000 rpm. So your dyno graph would be flat until roughly 4,000RPM and then shoot straight up in HP
Old 11-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Driver06

So does it look cheap, or use cheap material?
Is it the stainless charge piping? braided oil and coolant lines? or the fact that everything fits perfectly?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by Driver06
So does it look cheap, or use cheap material?
Is it the stainless charge piping? braided oil and coolant lines? or the fact that everything fits perfectly?
Dude, don't get your panties in a bunch because you have an APS kit!!

I said it LOOKS cheap. That is MY opinion....
Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Driver06

"I always thought the APS had cheap material!!!" ok, You thought.. nice
"I said it LOOKS cheap. That is MY opinion" thats nice
No panties here, its just thats the first time i've heard that, thats all.. I love you
Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
SlideFox

Originally Posted by Driver06
"I always thought the APS had cheap material!!!" ok, You thought.. nice
"I said it LOOKS cheap. That is MY opinion" thats nice
No panties here, its just thats the first time i've heard that, thats all.. I love you

Quick Reply: Powerlab single vs. ASP twins