Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech 403 rwhp 5at = Will Not shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
k6750gsxr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech 403 rwhp 5at = Will Not shift

Ok here is my cituation. I have a 5at pushing 400rwhp. I will be getting valve body upgrade done first of December when i can have manage some down time with my car.... with that said here is what i am having issues with

The car N.A. shifted hard and strong.

Granted i know that the car will lag when shifting now once boosted, but mine will not shift out of first gear under wot and i have to blip the throttle to get out of second under wot.

Is this something i need to be concerned about before i do a vb upgrade or should the vb take care of this problem ?

Edit.... Not in Auto Mode...

Last edited by k6750gsxr; 11-17-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VB will help. Are you leaving it in auto mode? That's won't work even with the upgrade
Old 11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
k6750gsxr

no sorry def not in auto mode ...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If it shifts at part throttle ok, then it's likely just not able to keep up. You can raise the redline, install VB upgrade, and install grounding wire set. All will help.

I have all of them and I honestly don't drive WOT in 1st gear - no traction even at 8 psi - so cannot tell you if you will be able to do that even after all is done. I can drive in "D" mode at WOT and not hit my 7200 rpm redline on my built motor for gears 2 and up if I maintain traction (295R18 Mich PS2 summer tires).
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont do any damage, but I'd strongly suggest getting that VB Kit installed ASAP, or just be gentle with shifting. 1st gear is nearly impossible to get shifted cleanly, due to tire spin. I usually try to click the 1st gear shift a little early, to give the trans plenty of time to shift. But with VB will improve all the shifts for you. More info here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=298
Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Cannysage

don't quote me on it, but with a torque converter upgrade, you would be able to shift, even on full AT mode (I think).
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by Cannysage
don't quote me on it, but with a torque converter upgrade, you would be able to shift, even on full AT mode (I think).
too late - you've been quoted. A high stall TC makes it much harder for the tranny to keep up. It spins into the high rpms gears very quickly.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Typically a valve body upgrade and raising the rev limiter will only partially solve the problem. It will certainly shift faster due to the increased line pressure. However when the HP is raised, you need to lead an automatic transmission longer for the gear shift. Meaning.... in first gear the rate of acceleration of the engine is very high. If you want the tranny to actually shift at 6000 RPMs you probably have to command the shift at 5000 because by the time the computer commands the shift, the solenoids engage, the fluid moves in the valve body, and the gears actually shift, you will be at 6000. The more HP you make, the earlier you need to command the shift. I know that there are a few companies now reprogramming the factory computers. Is the WOT shift schedule one of the parameters that can be altered?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
coachk
Banned

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Typically a valve body upgrade and raising the rev limiter will only partially solve the problem. It will certainly shift faster due to the increased line pressure. However when the HP is raised, you need to lead an automatic transmission longer for the gear shift. Meaning.... in first gear the rate of acceleration of the engine is very high. If you want the tranny to actually shift at 6000 RPMs you probably have to command the shift at 5000 because by the time the computer commands the shift, the solenoids engage, the fluid moves in the valve body, and the gears actually shift, you will be at 6000. The more HP you make, the earlier you need to command the shift. I know that there are a few companies now reprogramming the factory computers. Is the WOT shift schedule one of the parameters that can be altered?
+1......that was one of the problems I had Sunday racing my car.On my old setup I had specific rpms I would shift at with no problems and on my new setup(with more power) I was shifting at the same rpms and bouncing off the limiter(2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th) every frikin run.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
rcdash

no TCM reprogramming available AFAIK.

good thing we have MM mode though.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

We have seen the Utec prevent the auto tranny from shifting under load/boost in first gear.Dont know what the deal is but we have firsthand experience with it.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
z2g

VB upgrade is a good investment with FI. Pm me if you would like to buy a transgo vb upgrade kit, I have a couple of em in stock
Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
k6750gsxr

rcdash If it shifts at part throttle ok, then it's likely just not able to keep up. You can raise the redline, install VB upgrade, and install grounding wire set. All will help.

I have all of them and I honestly don't drive WOT in 1st gear - no traction even at 8 psi - so cannot tell you if you will be able to do that even after all is done. I can drive in "D" mode at WOT and not hit my 7200 rpm redline on my built motor for gears 2 and up if I maintain traction (295R18 Mich PS2 summer tires).

Yeah it will shift fairly good at part throttle of course still not crisp but good... You think a Grounding Kit would really improve response ?

Sharif@Forged You wont do any damage, but I'd strongly suggest getting that VB Kit installed ASAP, or just be gentle with shifting. 1st gear is nearly impossible to get shifted cleanly, due to tire spin. I usually try to click the 1st gear shift a little early, to give the trans plenty of time to shift. But with VB will improve all the shifts for you. More info here: http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=298
Yea def planning on getting a VB but was just curious about now as far as my tranny still being ok.

SoundPerformance Typically a valve body upgrade and raising the rev limiter will only partially solve the problem. It will certainly shift faster due to the increased line pressure. However when the HP is raised, you need to lead an automatic transmission longer for the gear shift. Meaning.... in first gear the rate of acceleration of the engine is very high. If you want the tranny to actually shift at 6000 RPMs you probably have to command the shift at 5000 because by the time the computer commands the shift, the solenoids engage, the fluid moves in the valve body, and the gears actually shift, you will be at 6000. The more HP you make, the earlier you need to command the shift. I know that there are a few companies now reprogramming the factory computers. Is the WOT shift schedule one of the parameters that can be altered?

This is def true in 3rd and 4th I still have to lead in those gears.
Hopefully with a VB upgrade I can get out of 2nd cleanly.... Good adv about leading it that extreme... Thanks...

coachk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundPerformance View Post
+1......that was one of the problems I had Sunday racing my car.On my old setup I had specific rpms I would shift at with no problems and on my new setup(with more power) I was shifting at the same rpms and bouncing off the limiter(2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th) every frikin run.

Yeah I saw you run at Bradenton Speedway... Your car shifts like a beast...

TurboTim We have seen the Utec prevent the auto tranny from shifting under load/boost in first gear.Dont know what the deal is but we have firsthand experience with it.

I have heard that by my tuner as well...

z2g VB upgrade is a good investment with FI. Pm me if you would like to buy a transgo vb upgrade kit, I have a couple of em in stock

Pm sent.....
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Asad_A203

How much RWHP can a non-abused stock tranny hold with the Transgo VB kit? I have heard 550 RWHP (or the equiv TQ since I think TQ causes it to blow) but does anyone know if it will blow if it gets anywhere near that?